PDA

View Full Version : Everyone's favorite Screen!

_Ted_
Jun 14, 2004, 02:12 AM
Hey look!

It's your favorite PSOW sight!

http://www.geocities.com/ted2023/error.txt

DarthFomar
Jun 14, 2004, 02:20 AM
Yeah..........there was like 30 minutes of major lag on my end.........I couldn't connect to the page at all.

Must be either too many people on the net/server or too many late-night gamers hoggin the bandwidth. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Seems fine now, though. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

I wish I was playing some gamespy games/multiplayer shoot'em ups. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarthFomar on 2004-06-14 00:21 ]</font>

noob-of-fury
Jun 14, 2004, 11:57 PM
Seen 7 in the past hour... how I love it.

RFB
Jun 15, 2004, 08:20 AM
to increase your joy, the Mozilla version of the error!

http://www.iespana.es/AlmacenParaMi/PSO/petada.JPG

Is not it just lovely?

Kadavreski
Jun 15, 2004, 11:18 AM
On 2004-06-15 06:20, RFB wrote:
to increase your joy, the Mozilla version of the error!

http://www.iespana.es/AlmacenParaMi/PSO/petada.JPG

Is not it just lovely?

fresk kills? very!

Sord
Jun 15, 2004, 11:41 AM
i have the mozilla one, and one other error one that has small text (not the first version though) Also, I don't have Mozilla, so if that's the mozilla version >.>

Kadavreski
Jun 15, 2004, 11:44 AM
so people still use win 95/98?

HUnewearl_Meira
Jun 15, 2004, 11:55 AM
GAH! I just lost a post trying to reply because of the damn problem that this server has...

As I was trying to say...

Someone is paying GameSpy to use their webspace to host PSO World, and quite frankly, I don't think they're getting the quality of service that they're paying for.

Either PSO World has become too large, and it's slowing down the server, or GameSpy is trying to host too many sites on one machine. One problem, eRUPT can fix, by chopping off the oldest topics in the forums, but on the other hand, that may not be the problem. If it is the later, then someone needs to get GameSpy on the horn and start complaining.

Update:

Some brief research brought it to my attention that PlanetDreamcast.com does not seem to experience as much lag as PSO World. Circumstances lead me to believe that PlanetDreamcast.com's index is hosted on a separate server from PSO World, and furthermore, it appears that pso-world.com/ is a virtual directory on another server.

How do I come to this conclusion?

I can click around and surf PlanetDreamcast.com without a whole lot of trouble, while pulling up a simple Poll topic in FKL is taking forever. If they were hosted from the same server, it is logical to observe that the two sites are not having the same problem, and therefore, are likely to not be on the same machine. Obviously, they are going through the same Gateway, and this is why they can share a domain name, and it is this Gateway that hosts them both as virtual directories. PlanetDreamcast.com may, itself, be the Gateway that directs traffic to the correct locations on GameSpy's servers.

At first I thought that it must mean that it was the size of PSO World's forum history that was causing the problem, but then it occured to me, that if the server's processor was being eaten up by sorting PSO World's forum for PHP output, then PlanetDreamcast.com would be lagging, as well. Seeing that PlanetDreamcast.com's lag (in all actuality, PlanetDreamcast.com itself seems to be a heavy load, just on its own) doesn't seem to change when PSO World goes down the crapper, it can be determined that they both reside on different servers.

So, what it comes down to, is the server hosting PSO World can't handle the amount of traffic that it's getting. I'll try some of the other sites hosted by PlanetDreamcast.com and see how the results vary.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HUnewearl_Meira on 2004-06-15 10:18 ]</font>

Kadavreski
Jun 15, 2004, 12:15 PM
On 2004-06-15 09:55, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
GAH! I just lost a post trying to reply because of the damn problem that this server has...

As I was trying to say...

Someone is paying GameSpy to use their webspace to host PSO World, and quite frankly, I don't think they're getting the quality of service that they're paying for.

Either PSO World has become too large, and it's slowing down the server, or GameSpy is trying to host too many sites on one machine. One problem, eRUPT can fix, by chopping off the oldest topics in the forums, but on the other hand, that may not be the problem. If it is the later, then someone needs to get GameSpy on the horn and start complaining.

can i chew their ear off down the phone

horn

HORNY!!

HUnewearl_Meira
Jun 15, 2004, 01:08 PM
Gah... This time, the lag went as far as to log me out. This is getting absurd.

Again, I find that PlanetDreamcast.com is surfing as quickly as can be expected, while PSO World is lagging out.

Kadavreski
Jun 15, 2004, 01:28 PM
On 2004-06-15 11:08, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
Gah... This time, the lag went as far as to log me out. This is getting absurd.

Again, I find that PlanetDreamcast.com is surfing as quickly as can be expected, while PSO World is lagging out.

250+ user use some space, so maybe its that?

HUnewearl_Meira
Jun 15, 2004, 01:55 PM
I don't think it's strictly a hard drive space issue, as much as it is a searching issue. Whenever you refresh the front page of a given forum, the server digs up the 25 or so most recent threads, and links to them. Loading the entire contents of especially large threads takes longer, not entirely because it's a large page to download, but also because the server is executing a PHP script that strings together each individual post, interpretting each one into an HTML template, the template itself being somewhat dependent on the theme you've chosen for PSO World. There's a lot to do there, and the server has to physically search for each post and each thread, each unit of information, every time the page loads.

I suppose that if there were only a few threads, or if there were only two or three people accessing the server at a time, there'd be no lag at all, because servers tend to be rather powerful machines, generally operating off of multiple, high-end processors. But when the site in question doesn't have the server entirely to itself, and the site in question is furthermore, a rather popular site that's had a forum running for an extended period of time, there's a lot of traffic going on, and the more threads and posts it has to sort through, the longer it's going to take to get a response.

Kadavreski
Jun 15, 2004, 02:35 PM
On 2004-06-15 11:55, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
I don't think it's strictly a hard drive space issue, as much as it is a searching issue. Whenever you refresh the front page of a given forum, the server digs up the 25 or so most recent threads, and links to them. Loading the entire contents of especially large threads takes longer, not entirely because it's a large page to download, but also because the server is executing a PHP script that strings together each individual post, interpretting each one into an HTML template, the template itself being somewhat dependent on the theme you've chosen for PSO World. There's a lot to do there, and the server has to physically search for each post and each thread, each unit of information, every time the page loads.

I suppose that if there were only a few threads, or if there were only two or three people accessing the server at a time, there'd be no lag at all, because servers tend to be rather powerful machines, generally operating off of multiple, high-end processors. But when the site in question doesn't have the server entirely to itself, and the site in question is furthermore, a rather popular site that's had a forum running for an extended period of time, there's a lot of traffic going on, and the more threads and posts it has to sort through, the longer it's going to take to get a response.

maybe.

RFB
Jun 15, 2004, 03:02 PM
I just made tracerts to both planetdreamcast.com and pso-world.com

The final IP when connecting to planetdreamcast.com is 207.38.1.147

The final IP when connecting to pso-world.com is 207.38.1.157

Similar, but not the same. So probably, planet dreamcast and PSO World are being hosted on different machines, so then logic says that the machine PSOW is being hosted on is not good enough to handle the traffic PSOW usually has.

Kadavreski
Jun 15, 2004, 03:04 PM
On 2004-06-15 13:02, RFB wrote:
I just made tracerts to both planetdreamcast.com and pso-world.com

The final IP when connecting to planetdreamcast.com is 207.38.1.147

The final IP when connecting to pso-world.com is 207.38.1.157

Similar, but not the same. So probably, planet dreamcast and PSO World are being hosted on different machines, so then logic says that the machine PSOW is being hosted on is not good enough to handle the traffic PSOW usually has.

this is annoying...get a dell

dell...its easy as dell

Outrider
Jun 15, 2004, 03:15 PM
Eh... sometimes when the site is lagging while I'm replying to a post, I'll actually copy it to make sure I can post it again in case I lose it.

Kadavreski
Jun 15, 2004, 03:18 PM
On 2004-06-15 13:15, Outrider wrote:
Eh... sometimes when the site is lagging while I'm replying to a post, I'll actually copy it to make sure I can post it again in case I lose it.

wise. that.

HUnewearl_Meira
Jun 15, 2004, 03:50 PM
On 2004-06-15 13:04, mechgun_mike wrote:

this is annoying...get a dell

dell...its easy as dell

Sadly, an upgrade in the client computer will not help the relationship with the server.

Unless the client computer is like, a 486 or something. In which case, you really need to upgrade, anyway.