PDA

View Full Version : Children in Movies

Cinnamon
Jun 14, 2004, 05:08 PM
I just got back from seeing the new Harry Potter movie. It sucked. Horribly. No, the movie itself was alright, even though it left out half the book (bastards!). It was the children in the theater that would not shut up.
Some woman had her little four year old brat behind me that went on and on the entire time. "Mommy, is that a bad guy?" "Mommy, is he dead now?" "Mommy, is he going to be okay?" OKAY KID! SHUT. UP.
I swear, people shouldn't be allowed to bring children to movies if they can't sit quietly through the thing. Heck, a kid that young shouldn't be seeing that movie today anyway!
Parents these days need to get some responsibility. Phew...okay, I'm done. Just had to get that out. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif;

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cinnamon on 2004-06-14 15:09 ]</font>

Mixfortune
Jun 14, 2004, 05:45 PM
I actually saw a promotion in one of the theaters before a certain movie (doesn't matter what movie it was) that actually let toddlers and children under 3, etc. into the theater for free, in order to appeal to (as the advertisement said) stay at home moms. It was similar to the sorts of advertisements in theaters you see about free popcorn with a medium drink, and whatnot.

When I saw that, I was wondering just what exactly they were thinking in coming up with such a promotion. "No cell phones or loud children, but bring your children for free!"

I'm not condoning cell phones in theaters, but you get the idea. Their promotions needed a little work...

Outrider
Jun 14, 2004, 05:45 PM
Not really going to contribute, but you do realize that Harry Potter is marketed as a kids movie, right? It's not really a surprise.

Heck, if you you think you had it bad, you should've seen it opening day. THAT was insane.

Cinnamon
Jun 14, 2004, 06:08 PM
On 2004-06-14 15:45, Outrider wrote:
Not really going to contribute, but you do realize that Harry Potter is marketed as a kids movie, right? It's not really a surprise.

Heck, if you you think you had it bad, you should've seen it opening day. THAT was insane.

I'm going to guess you're not really a fan, are you? Each book/movie is getting marketed at an older audience. I really didn't think the third movie was marketed at children at all. Even before I saw it, everything I heard about it was "Don't take your little kids to the new Harry Potter movie!" o_O

Bradicus
Jun 14, 2004, 06:34 PM
Harry Potter is marketed as a kids movie

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2003/20030901l.gif
insert your argument into the first box of text >_>

KodiaX987
Jun 14, 2004, 08:27 PM
Do yourselves a favor and rent the DVD instead. No idiots, surround sound system, and you can pause the movie if you need to take a shit!

Outrider
Jun 14, 2004, 09:28 PM
On 2004-06-14 16:08, Cinnamon wrote:

I'm going to guess you're not really a fan, are you? Each book/movie is getting marketed at an older audience. I really didn't think the third movie was marketed at children at all. Even before I saw it, everything I heard about it was "Don't take your little kids to the new Harry Potter movie!" o_O

Actually, I'm a very big fan. I've read all the books, some multiple times. I've theorized about plotlines with friends and family, and I even used to do some Harry Potter roleplay back in the day.

And it is very much marketed as a kid's series. Rowling herself said that Scholastic was marketing it to the 8-12 age bracket. Despite the darker tone of the third movie, there really shouldn't be any reason why kids can't see it.

Just because the movie can be enjoyed by older fans and may have some darker/scarier themes does not change the fact that it is directed by the productiong company towards children.

It's just silly to think you won't run into a theater full of kids when going to see Harry Potter.

DarthFomar
Jun 14, 2004, 10:25 PM
OMG.........I went to the second night of Hulk with my friends *cuz they just had to see it*. I expected it to be packed, but people just wouldn't shut up.

Some guy kept saying "Oh yeah, he's getting mad.....he's gonna bust some heads now!!".

And the little kids kept asking the dumbest questions I've ever heard.

God why can't they have seperate theaters for Children/Parents *parents and children all in seperate theaters*.....and let everyone else enjoy their movies with a sense of relaxation and a non-frustrated environment?!

Gnarled_rose
Jun 15, 2004, 08:26 AM
You know, the movie theater here won't allow kids under 4. I guess that's one good thing about living in ultra-conservative Utah.
Seriously, one of my friends was quoted in the newspaper as saying "I'm a conservative, but not a Utah conservative."
Well, to all you people ranting, and hating small children simply for being alive,*raises glass* this one's for you, and this is me saying "I like what you do."

Rainbowlemon
Jun 15, 2004, 10:28 AM
On 2004-06-14 18:27, KodiaX987 wrote:
Do yourselves a favor and rent the DVD instead. No idiots, surround sound system, and you can pause the movie if you need to take a shit!

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif And the popcorn isn't extortionately priced http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Cinnamon
Jun 15, 2004, 02:01 PM
On 2004-06-14 19:28, Outrider wrote:

On 2004-06-14 16:08, Cinnamon wrote:

Actually, I'm a very big fan. I've read all the books, some multiple times. I've theorized about plotlines with friends and family, and I even used to do some Harry Potter roleplay back in the day.

And it is very much marketed as a kid's series. Rowling herself said that Scholastic was marketing it to the 8-12 age bracket. Despite the darker tone of the third movie, there really shouldn't be any reason why kids can't see it.

Just because the movie can be enjoyed by older fans and may have some darker/scarier themes does not change the fact that it is directed by the productiong company towards children.

It's just silly to think you won't run into a theater full of kids when going to see Harry Potter.

I didn't say I was surprised to run into a theater of kids, I said they shouldn't have been there in the first place. There's a difference. ^_^

Outrider
Jun 15, 2004, 03:05 PM
On 2004-06-15 12:01, Cinnamon wrote:
I didn't say I was surprised to run into a theater of kids, I said they shouldn't have been there in the first place. There's a difference. ^_^

But there SHOULD be kids there. It's a KIDS movie.

Armok
Jun 15, 2004, 03:44 PM
When I went to see it some kid was crying at those flying dementors. Really those things would scare the hell out of me and from now on in the bad guys just get more violent and nasty.

I cannot wait to see the 4th one its gonna scare the crap outta really little kids. They gotta get Daniel Day Lewis as Voldermort just for the pure genuis the man can bring to an evil character (see Gangs of new york for details of insanity).

navci
Jun 15, 2004, 08:26 PM
I just go to movies when no one else is going. Like, 4th week of opening, some random weekday afternoon in an unpopular theatre. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Sayara
Jun 15, 2004, 09:04 PM
Hmm Thats probably why i havent been to the Movies in like 2 years.. o.o;

I have no patience for Kindalah (kids) anymore...

Cinnamon
Jun 15, 2004, 10:14 PM
On 2004-06-15 13:05, Outrider wrote:

On 2004-06-15 12:01, Cinnamon wrote:

But there SHOULD be kids there. It's a KIDS movie.

GAH! No! No, it's not a kids movie! At all! >_<

Sayara
Jun 15, 2004, 11:25 PM
Sadly it is, Harry Potter has alot of Kiddy Fans. Like Pokemon and Digimon and PPG Did.

Whatever is THE HIT and popular can become Kid Surplus >>;

PhotonDrop
Jun 15, 2004, 11:32 PM
Stupid kids need to not watch Adult Swim too, INUYASHA IS DEFINATELY NOT A KIDS SHOW! THAT IS WHY IS SAYS 'PROGRAMS NOT SUITABLE FOR KIDS UNDER FOURTEEN'!!

Outrider
Jun 16, 2004, 02:15 AM
On 2004-06-15 20:14, Cinnamon wrote:

Just because you like Harry Potter doesn't mean you can live in your own fantasy land. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Sayara
Jun 16, 2004, 03:07 PM
On 2004-06-15 21:32, PhotonDrop wrote:
Stupid kids need to not watch Adult Swim too, INUYASHA IS DEFINATELY NOT A KIDS SHOW! THAT IS WHY IS SAYS 'PROGRAMS NOT SUITABLE FOR KIDS UNDER FOURTEEN'!!

Kids dont care. Parents of the Kids dont care. Simple as that.

Cinnamon
Jun 18, 2004, 06:30 PM
On 2004-06-16 00:15, Outrider wrote:

On 2004-06-15 20:14, Cinnamon wrote:

Just because you like Harry Potter doesn't mean you can live in your own fantasy land. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

*collapses in tears* It's nooooooot a kidssssssssssss moooooovieeeeeee! I don't care if it has a lot of young fans! So does Inuyasha and every other show on Adult Swim and none of those are aimed at kids! >_<

Bradicus
Jun 18, 2004, 07:20 PM
*collapses in tears* It's nooooooot a kidssssssssssss moooooovieeeeeee! I don't care if it has a lot of young fans! So does Inuyasha and every other show on Adult Swim and none of those are aimed at kids! >_<

The facts have firmly bitch slapped you, it is time to concede.
>_>

Cinnamon
Jun 23, 2004, 01:31 PM
Grrr...*wanders off to sulk and mutter* >_<

Zzzzzz
Jun 23, 2004, 02:47 PM
On 2004-06-16 13:07, Tingle wrote:
Kids dont care. Parents of the Kids dont care. Simple as that.

Until the parent sees, then they decide to sue the poeple who put it on TV saying it's not suitable for their children.