PDA

View Full Version : Your chance to share knowledge!!

Evil_Althena8
Jun 16, 2004, 07:36 PM
Another one of my stupid thread creations. In this thread, you shall spit useless babble and information on subjects you are particularly fond of or have great knowledge in. So please join us in sharing little known knowledge and such...(this is almost an Off Topic worthy thread...maybe it is)

Allow me to explain the art of reading Tarot cards. There are 78 cards in a deck. Cards in a tarot deck are divided into 2 categories, major and minor arcana. The major arcana are 22 cards, each with a number. Each of these cards depict major situations in one's life, steps that we all take. They are (and usually in this order) The Fool, The Magician, The High Priestess, The Empress, The Emperor, The High Priest, The Lovers, The Chariot, Strength, The Hermit, The Wheel, Justice, The Hanged Man, Death, Temperance, The Devil, The Tower, The Star, The Moon, The Sun, Judgment, and The World. The fool is usually last or first. The last card, The World, describes mastery in one's life, understanding and wisdom in all things, while the Magician is only the start of the journey.

The Minor arcana are divided into four suits, similar to playing cards. Wands, Swords, Cups, and Pentacles. The order for each suit is Ace through Ten, then the court cards (or face cards) of Page, Knight, Queen, and King. Wands are cards that deal with mental forces, travel, and success. Swordds deal with action, impulse, and enemies. Cups deal with love, delusions, emotions, and friends. Pentacles deal with money, material possessions, earth, and business matters. They put the minor details into the Major arcana cards.

The is more to explain, perhaps, but that would take forever. I may decide to release some other knowledge I know of later on. So until then, my little darlings!

Saciel
Jun 16, 2004, 07:54 PM
the meaning of life is 42...

the sky is blue as it reflects the oceans... or so it is said... although most oceans are green O_o;;

Stilton cheese although incredibly edlicious is just cheese left to go mouldy

Freddy Mercury is not really dead... he is atending a japanese high school somewhere... Sakigake Cromartie High School to be precise...

Baileys and Mlibu are positively nummy but under-rated due to them being tart drinks or not manly enough for you...

As far as most songs are concerned relationships are not meant to be... afterall we are just animals and sex is all that matters thus the most fertile of people are screwed to masses of brooding men...

ermmm... I've had a lil to drink and am pissing people off over instant messengers << shrugs >>

Tact
Jun 16, 2004, 07:58 PM
Here's one...I think.

Hippomostrosequippedaliophobia: n. Fear of long words.

I also think it's an actual word...

Dhylec
Jun 16, 2004, 08:11 PM
knowledge is power!
sharing power can make u weaker.. >.>
<.< since im weak >.<, i don't like to share.. lol http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

astuarlen
Jun 16, 2004, 08:16 PM
Uh, okay, here's how to avoid the excessive cost of going to an eye-doctor by finding the strength of glasses you need by yourself! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif Unless you have a more complicated problem than near- or far-sightedness, that is...

What you will need:
a meter stick
a piece of paper w/ average-sized writing
a handy formula: 1/di + 1/do = 1/f
a calculator

Near-sighted:
1. Hold the paper in front of your face, moving it closer or father until you reach the farthest point at which you can clearly read the words.
2. Measure the distance between the paper and your eyes in meters.
3. Add 1/(.02-the measured distance) and 1/infinity (which is essentially 0), and take the reciprocal. The answer is the power of lenses you need in diopters. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Far-sighted:
1. Hold the paper as close as you can and still be able to read the words.
2. Measure the distance between your eyes and the paper in meters.
3. Add 1/(.02-the measured distance) and 1/.25m, and take the reciprocal. This answer is also the power of the lenses you need in diopters.

Yay, I'm bored~!

(something is wrong here...but what?)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: astuarlen on 2004-06-16 19:29 ]</font>

Scejntjynahl
Jun 16, 2004, 08:21 PM
A male Praying Mantis has a second brain near its abdomen, so when the female Praying Mantis is feasting on his head and thorax, he can still continue with the mating.

teflon
Jun 16, 2004, 08:23 PM
ZDoom employs ACS for its scripting language.

JDoom is an OpenGL source port of Doom (2) which can support MD2 models and High Res textures.

The RX-75 Guntank, RX-77-2 Guncanon and RX-78-2 Gundam is Project V. Project Vs purpose to combat Zeons moblie suits.

The shotgun in Doom (2) fires multiple bullet shells which are right next to each other, instead of a single powerful bulet.

The Super Shotgun in Doom 2 is horrid at long range, due to the large spread of its bullets. None of the 10 bullets fired by it can kill something as simple as a Zombie if the target if far away.

In Doom 2, if a moster is attacked by an Archvile, it cannot attack the Archvile, due to the fact that the source of damage is the fire, not the Archvile itself. If the Archvile could be attacked, it can be killed by something as simple as a Hell Knight, due to the fact that it takes a long time for it to execute its attack, and has no melee attack.

Outrider
Jun 16, 2004, 08:33 PM
http://bingweb.binghamton.edu/~gcashma1/psobbdressedscreenshot.png

geewj
Jun 16, 2004, 08:49 PM
On 2004-06-16 18:11, Dhylec wrote:

Know you know...and knowing is half the battle!

Sord
Jun 17, 2004, 12:09 PM
it's better to be a smartass then a dumbass

any matter moving at the speed of light has infinite mass (in theory)

I want Monty Python movies! (for free!)

HUnewearl_Meira
Jun 17, 2004, 01:16 PM
Gravity has some adverse effects on Time and Space. Because of Gravity, Space is bent (meaning that a straight path through space may not be the shortest path; it could be that a different course could be plot to avoid areas of larger volume, or perhaps take advantage of locations where Time flows faster than at the destination), and Time is, as well, bent. Certain parts of the universe do not travel through time at the same rate as others.

This is, of course, one flaw in Astronomical calculations-- They each assume that the light from any given star has taken a straight path, unbent by Gravity, and they also assume that the Speed of Light is the same throughout the Universe, relative to time as we experience it here on Earth.

Because we have worked out how Gravity works on a mathematical level, we can now calculate the effects of Gravity on objects as well as light. Light may, in fact, orbit an object, if it is sufficiently dense. A camera near the surface of a Neutron Star, for example, may be able to capture an image of the entire surface, two or three times, as well as itself from behind-- all at once. Just the same, upon approaching the Event Horizon (Point of No Return) of a Black Hole, any camera (or individual managing to survive the Gravity, for that matter) should be capable of looking directly at theirselves, as light reflects off of them, and continues to orbit the black hole, rather than escaping into the Universe.

At some point between the Event Horizon of a black hole, and its center, the roles of Space and Time trade each other off. Any object between that point and the center of the black hole will, at that point, travel in any direction in time easier than they can in space. Furthermore, at that point, travelling forward in Space (whatever direction that may happen to be) becomes more inevitable than travelling forward in Time.

Also, working out the equation to determine what occurs at the center of a black hole results in a Divide By Zero error. No one is quite certain what this means, and it is because of these aspects that Science Fiction has often used the concept of black holes to explain things like time or dimensional travel.

I have seen an attempt, on several occasions, a tetherball to make an example of how Gravity works with celestial bodies. The person providing the example takes the rope attached to the ball, and swings the ball around their head. This particular example is rather bad, as while it may be a fairly similar movement that is being made, the forces involved are applied extremely differently.

An object in orbit around another object are in no way tethered to eachother. The orbitting object is constantly trying to move away from the center object, while the center object is constantly trying to draw the orbitting object closer. In the case of a tethered object, the orbitting object may be trying to escape, but the center object is, in fact, not trying to pull the orbitting object back. Quite the opposite, in fact-- the tethered object is trying to take the center object with it, which generally doesn't happen with Gravity, unless both objects are orbitting mutually.

Scejntjynahl
Jun 17, 2004, 01:26 PM
Meira, you are a showoff >:

Aunt_Betty
Jun 17, 2004, 01:36 PM
On 2004-06-17 11:26, Furankunichan wrote:
Meira, you are a showoff >:

http://img36.photobucket.com/albums/v108/misoyum/lool_canser.jpg

HUnewearl_Meira
Jun 17, 2004, 02:04 PM
TCP (Transmission Control Protocol) is a computer communication protocol developed out of a need for a stable method of communication between computers. It does not concern itself with addresses (MAC address, IP address, or whatever), allowing other devices or protocols to deal with that.

So here's how TCP works.

First, an address-handling protocol will check the address that an incoming data package is being sent to. If the address it is being sent to does not match the address this protocol is looking for, it will discard the package. If the address matches, however, the data package will be passed on to the device handling TCP.

Upon receiving the package, the TCP protocol examines it. The last several values from the package will be removed, and held at another location. The values of the rest of the data will then be summed up, and compared with the previously removed values. If these values match, then the package is assumed to not be corrupt. This is what we call a Checksum. If the package is found to be uncorrupted, then TCP will return a message indicating that the package has been received, and will continue to return that message, until the original packet stops coming.

Each package that TCP receives may be just one part of a larger piece of information. Because of this, each data package contains information identifying what it belongs to, where it belongs in the sequence of data, and how much data is in the total package. TCP can then take the packaged data, and re-assemble it as it receives each part.

On the sender's side, the TCP will divide a larger piece of information into small chunks. Each chunk is then padded with information. A data packet's header will contain the destination address, a value by which to identify the information, and where the contents of the package goes in the complete chunk of information. The data packet's footer will contain a Checksum value for the rest of the information in the packet.

The sender will continue to broadcast any given data packet, until it receives a message confirming that the package has been received in tact.

And that is how TCP works.

UDP (User Datagram Protocol), on the other hand, while it is much simpler, is considerably less reliable. UDP is ideal for games, because it uses considerably less traffic, keeping bandwidth unclogged. In UDP, any message is sent only once, and if it makes it to the destination, then wonderful, otherwise, too bad. If it works perfectly, a file can be transfered between two computers at nearly the true speed of the connection, but this method is undesireable for that purpose, as there is no safeguard mechanism to ensure that the data is received uncorrupted.

Mixfortune
Jun 17, 2004, 02:37 PM
God this is so old that I completely forgot why I wrote the lines so short...
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_evil.gif Yes, useless information that no one will care about http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_evil.gif

Before Twilight
Chapter 4- On Pain Of Death

===========================

I felt there was no reason for any sort of
hesitation. Something had told me, however,
that this was not the clear path...

But then...

No path is quite clear until we clear it
with our own hands...

'ANTI!'

A moment of silence.

'Ugh...'

A body shifted. The ground rustled.

'Are you alright?'

A shake of the head. A slight nod.

'Oh, man...still a little numb.'

Everything quieted again.
Singe sat nearby, in contemplation.
I suggested we continue on.

'Good idea, Fyrefly. It's getting dark out.'

I knelt down beside Pogue to help him up.
He almost fell back a bit, but I caught him.

Just then, an odd feeling... cold.
Yet it was reassuring. Confident in its sway.

Then it was out...the edge dripped with blood.
It wasn't made of photon, or any energy source.
It was unlike anything I've seen...I blinked a
few times. I coughed. Red spatter marks appeared
on the forest floor. Another cough, hacking.
I heard someone...a voice...saying something
...speaking...as the earth rose up and came
to meet me.

What had happened...?
The stars must be going out... it's getting darker
out...maybe some clouds rolled in on a silent wind...

I hear her.

There is no fear. Only suffering. Her voice tells me.

Calls me...

And I sleep.

It is Fyrefly and Singe. They sit at a table, having
a drink. I watch them. Fyrefly does some odd action,
flailing about in his seat. He's making a fool of
himself. Singe laughs, falling back in her own seat
opposite him. They talked for a time after.

However, the missions were different. They held respect
for each other, yet they knew it was still a mission,
and they treated each other no different than they
treated the rest of the team. As comrades. Yet,
something was there, in the both of them.

I fear this planet may break it.

'My head... I must've been knocked out.'

Serasta rolled over so that she looked up towards the stars.

'Lovely as always,' she spoke, as if she was talking to
the very celestial bodies she spotted on this clear night.
But she now knew they would need her. Serasta was not dead,
far from it, so she realized the trap must have succeeded.

But the use of it was not to incapacitate him for good, or
to end the fight then and there. It was to buy time for
recovery. And if they found him...

She sat upright, and scanned the idea. It was true. He had
noticed this as well. Pogue had left the area, in search
of them. It may already be too late for the others...
but she had to try.

To hell with this planet.
For her two true comrades, Team 1 must survive.

I fear the worst.
I stand here now, unsure of how it will end.
I, Renin Fyrefly, swear to see our fates till their destruction.

Pogue, he betrayed us. Then again, perhaps he never was with
us to begin with. He was the least connected to the rest of the
team, and it didn't matter to him at all. He wouldn't have much
to do with us.

I should hate him for this...but commend him on his bravery...
and his ability to stay till the end, if indeed he had a
different agenda from the beginning. It was unfortunate.

My wounds were not fatal, but were serious. I'd imagine that
had Pogue not been disoriented from coming out of paralysis
so soon, he would have stabbed my chest instead of my stomach.

It had occured to me that perhaps he had not noticed in his
haste to leave. When I had awakened, neither Pogue nor Singe
were still there. However, a trail of blood started off not
far from where I had laid. I remained calm, and tried not to
get all too excited. If Pogue thought I was dead, he would just
have to keep on thinking that.

A Resta or two, and I had taken to my feet, following the crimson path.
Thinking back, I don't think I've ever been this calm. My
premonitions had been correct. It seems odd to think that my
negativities and glaring pessimistic appearances could be of some
positive use. But now I was calm. I felt nothing.

It didn't take long to find out that the trail led down towards
the path I was going to search earlier. Seeing the blood trail
through the darkness proved oddly simplistic. I was now more aware.

Around the bend of trees and vines rested before me a clearing in
both ground and air. No leaves or grass blankets the bare ground,
and overhead the night sky flaunted itself against the darkness of
all creation. It truly was a beautiful planet, full of color and
flavor, yet devoid of life. A growing, thriving forest of death.

And in the center of it all, a body, laying on its back.
I knew...I knew... and I ran to it. The few brown dead leaves
scattered about lay obliterated under the pounding of my feet.
I couldn't believe it, but my eyes did not lie.

She was there, dazed and in a critical situation.
Her hair was red with blood, searing with the crimson inferno.
I hovered above her, and my face bent closer to hers. It
was wounded in several places with a photon core weapon,
also causing severe tissue damage underneath the skin.
A weak smile escaped her lips a came closer.

'Singe! Singe! Can you hear me? Are you okay? You'll be fine...'

I continued, babbling on. Why did this have to be this way?
Damn this planet! Damn it all! How could the entirety of
Pioneer 1 and 2 survive on this cursed place when so much
destruction and pain could arise between four people that were
supposed to work together?

'Fyrefly.' She was alive, yet weakened. There was little time.

'Singe, please don't talk. Just relax so I can Resta you.'

'Fyrefly, the...the stars. I don't know.'

'Y-you don't know what you are saying. Singe, please keep still.'

'The stars are so beautiful, like the moon. The stars... oh, they
are wonderful, looking down upon the people with smiling eyes and
showing them home...such kind hearts... I want to be a star...'

'S-singe?'

'You...you aren't Fyrefly...'

'What do you mean?' I had tried, again and again...Resta failed.

'Not...Fyrefly. What are you really called?'

'My...name...?' My eyes watered, and a tear ran down my cheek.
There was no use stopping it...it would help nothing.

She nodded.

'My name is Renin.'

'Then, Renin...I hope that one day we can become stars together.'

She could not be saved. In true death, resurrection is an impossibility.
True death, however, reaches not the heart, and the soul lives on.

I stand with my back to him. I know he is there. I can feel it in
my mind and my soul. My senses grow, and become one with myself. I know
not how or what it is, but fear not, Singe. For your slayer will be
sent to his maker.

'It's really not my style to shoot others in the back, Fyrefly.'

'So for your sake and ease at heart I'll help you out.'
I turned, not quickly or hastily, nor slowly or hesitantly.

'Pogue, why?' I was now facing him. He stood a good distance away, out
of range of any melee weapons. Back near the shadow of the trees was
where he stayed, hidden even from the light of the stars.

'You should know why. It's not all too hard to figure out. There is
a reason you stand before me now, and it's not because I missed.'

'I think you're giving yourself a bit too much credit, Pogue.
You know as well as I that all you can resort to are underhanded
tactics.'

'I can fight for myself thank you very much. Dear Singe here put up
quite the fight. It's usually against my ethics to fight a woman,
but we all know just how capable Serasta and Singe are. It was very
possible I could have been killed, acting as I had without defending
myself here and there.'

I scoffed. 'I tire of your words. All they ever seem to do is talk
to yourself, giving the excuses you need to pull off whatever you want.'

'What I want matters little, Fyrefly.'

'Then there is no need for words. Pogue, you will pay for all you have
done, on pain of death.'

'Then I will expect a hasty battle from you.'

With that, I rushed forward into the infinite.
Headlong into our handmade hell.
CHAPTER 4- END

HUnewearl_Meira
Jun 17, 2004, 02:44 PM
Keys are interesting devices. They come in many forms. There is the classic Skeleton key, which was quite simple by design. There are also our modern, pin-based keys.

Here's how they work.

Skeleton keys are the simplest of what I've mentioned. The locks they operate are also the easiest to pick, by far. The basic idea, is that the key is able to push a locking mechanism around a circle, thereby releasing the object that was preventing the knob from turning. Moving it out of the way, as it were. The key is also shaped in such a way, that it will be able to make its turning motion, without being stopped by various obstacles in its path, that are present to prevent the incorrect key from being able to lock or unlock the door.

Modern keys, are rather different. They are based on very small pins. The lock assembly basically consists of a cylinder with a number of holes in it that line up with other holes in its casing. The holes in the cylinder each have little pins in them. They might also be described as pegs or cylinders. Each pin is a different length, as designed by the locksmith. Each hole in the casing as a matching pin, as well. The combined length of any two matching pins, is always the same length as any other two matching pins. Where they meet, one of the casing's pins will be protruding into the lock assembly. However, when the key is inserted, the pins are pushed toward the casing. At that point, the tops of the assembly's pins are flush with the outer edge of the assembly, meaning that the pins are no longer preventing the assembly from turning, and therefore, unlocking the door.

Rainbowlemon
Jun 17, 2004, 03:09 PM
Hi! (Phonetics)

- Bonjour! - French

- Guten Tag! - German

- Salom! - Arabic

- Konnichi'wa! - Japanese

- Bree'vyet - Russian

Also, if Ethene is passed over a Silver catalyst in the presence of Oxygen, Epoxyethane is produced. If water is then added to the Epoxyethane, Ethan-1,2-diol is produced, which is used for Antifreeze.

HUnewearl_Meira
Jun 17, 2004, 03:43 PM
Cartoons and comic books such as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles would lead us to believe that sewers are huge, brick constructs underneath the streets, large enough for men to walk in, comfortably.

This is, however, generally not true. It may be true in older areas of older cities, but pretty much everywhere else, sewers are not very big at all.

Most commonly, there are 3 different types of pipes underneath any given city street. Sanitary Sewer pipes, Water pipes, and Storm Drain pipes. Any two different types of pipe are typically kept 5 linear feet away from eachother, and any intersections that occur are kept as close to 90 degree angles as possible, to minimize the overlapping area. Pipes of these kinds never make physical contact, and Water pipes are pressurized, which allows them to be raised, lowered, and bent around other pipes to meet requirements for maintaining certian distances from other pipes. Sanitary Sewer and Storm Drain, however, are designed to take advantage of gravity, and therefore, are always sloped in the direction of intended flow.

I would just like to emphasize something, here. A STORM DRAIN and a SANITARY SEWER do NOT lead to the SAME LOCATION. A Sanitary Sewer takes sewage to a sewage treatment plant of some sort, or some other location where the sewage is to be disposed of. A Storm Drain, on the other hand, becomes your drinking water. This is why you are asked not to dump used motor oil into Storm Drain inlets.

Streets and parking lots are all sloped toward Storm Drain inlets. Typically, slopes may be as steep as 6%, though for streets, especially city streets, closer to 2% is generally prefered. Any areas of a parking lot that are marked with diagonal striping are handicapped access walkways, and are not to exceed a 2% slope in any direction. Furthermore, Handicapped parking areas are also not allowed to exceed a 2% slope.

Normally, a sewer pipe is underneath the centerline of a street. Normally these pipes are made of a heavy-gauge plastic (PVC pipes, in fact), and may be as much as 24 inches in diameter. In places where there is a lot of sewage to deal with, you may sometimes encounter concrete pipes that can get quite large. These are rather uncommon for sewage systems, however.

Sewer Manholes do not open directly into a sewer pipe. Normally, a manhole only has an important junction or bend in a pipe. Some manholes may contain pumps that allow the sewer pipe to be raised. Others are simply designed to allow the direction of flow to be changed. Often, manholes also provide a convenient access to the pipe, to be able to locate problems if something seems to be broken or clogged.

Water pipes provide water for various services to buildings and developments. There are two general purposes for the pipe laterals that shoot off to buildings-- Water Service, and Fire Service. Most residential buildings only have Water Service, as the Fire Service is there for sprinkler systems. The Water Service, however, is a generic water supply for sinks, faucets, drinking fountains, restroom facilities, baths, eyewashes, or whatever else may be in the building. There is also something called a Landscape Service, that provides water for irrigating the landscaping. Sprinkler systems. Also, Fire Hydrants are connected to a Fire Service pipe that will go through a lot, and connect to the city's water pipe in the street at two locations (creating a loop). Generally speaking, fire hydrants are always within 300 feet apart. If each fire hydrant were the center of a 300 foot radius circle, then every building on the site should have its borders rather thoroughly covered. This is a general rule, however, and may very from one city to the next.

You may also occassionally notice a blue reflector in the street, just to the side of the centerline. Whatever side of the centerline that blue reflector is, look off to that side of the street. You'll find a fire hydrant there. Those blue reflectors are there to help firefighters quickly locate fire hydrants when responding to a fire. The reflector also marks the location of the service pipe that supplies the fire hydrant with water, should that pipe ever have to be repaired.

Scejntjynahl
Jun 17, 2004, 03:48 PM
And green painted on a curb of a sidewalk means limited timed parking.

Mixfortune
Jun 17, 2004, 03:57 PM
Giving low level characters such as Adam the Sword of Light (or in this case, the Light Saber) and using Mawlock's Move ability on Adam's card will allow Adam to gain up to 96 experience a round, provided you are able to get in range to use the Light Saber on a group of enemies. Narsha can help in this regard with the Step spell, allowing teammates and force members to walk further than normal.

HUnewearl_Meira
Jun 17, 2004, 03:59 PM
If you find what appears to be a coin embedded in concrete in pavement, with numbers engraved on it, that "coin" is a marker. It marks a specific location, that can be identified by surveyors, and used as a point from which to judge other exact locations in the general area. The numbers on the "coin" make up the registration number of the Registered Land Surveyor who put it there. The other side of this coin has a serated shaft that holds it in its location.

Sometimes, an iron pipe is used to mark such locations, instead. Iron pipes are typically fired into the ground at such a location, and most commonly where there is no pavement. When a land survey is made, locations where iron pipes are found are labeled, "FIP", which stands for, simply enough, "Found Iron Pipe". Such topographic drawings may also contain points labeled, "GUY." While this may sound humorous, it is, in fact, not a case of a person who refused to get out of the Surveyor's way when the survey was being conducted. It is, in fact, the location and elevation of a GUY wire.

Daikarin
Jun 17, 2004, 04:04 PM
The earth doesn't spin around the sun.

I'm tellin' ya, them scientists got you and everyone fooled!! Don't believe in them lies, I say!

Tact
Jun 17, 2004, 04:11 PM
More astronomical stuff.

The moon that revolves around our earth is actually moving away from the earth at the speed of half an inch a year. Even though this is very slow, eventually, the moon will be free of the earth's gravitational pull.

Sef
Jun 17, 2004, 04:12 PM
On 2004-06-17 14:04, Even_Jin wrote:
The earth doesn't spin around the sun.

I'm tellin' ya, them scientists got you and everyone fooled!! Don't believe in them lies, I say!

This man doesn't believe in the Heliocentric.

Daikarin
Jun 17, 2004, 04:19 PM
And the world is SQUARE, by the way.

Tact
Jun 17, 2004, 04:20 PM
On 2004-06-17 14:19, Even_Jin wrote:

Then how do you explain Columbus NOT actually falling off of the edge of the earth? Oh yeah, gravity.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tactician7777 on 2004-06-17 14:22 ]</font>

Scejntjynahl
Jun 17, 2004, 04:21 PM

The company?

Daikarin
Jun 17, 2004, 04:22 PM
On 2004-06-17 14:21, Furankunichan wrote:

The company?

You noticed it too? AHA, I say!

Tact
Jun 17, 2004, 04:23 PM

Wait! You mean the world is Square-Enix!

Outrider
Jun 17, 2004, 04:28 PM
Hiroshi Yamauchi was known to frequent Gentlemen's Clubs when Nintendo was just starting up in the videogame business.

HUnewearl_Meira
Jun 17, 2004, 04:30 PM
Running a QBasic program consisting of the following code will crash the QBasic interpretor, due to a never-ending loop.

GOTO 10

The code first marks a line with the label "10".

The next line of code tells the computer to go back to label 10. Effectively, the code will never end.

If you want to be really clever, another couple of lines can be added between 10 and GOTO 10 that adds 1 to a given value, then displays it.

EDIT: Also consider, that PSO World doesn't like to interpret the "CODE" command in BBcode.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HUnewearl_Meira on 2004-06-17 14:32 ]</font>

Tact
Jun 17, 2004, 04:30 PM
On 2004-06-17 14:28, Outrider wrote:
Hiroshi Yamauchi was known to frequent Gentlemen's Clubs when Nintendo was just starting up in the videogame business.

Speaking of Nintendo, they used to make playing cards.

Mixfortune
Jun 17, 2004, 04:32 PM
You are under arrest for murdering the tables and burning the remains.

geewj
Jun 17, 2004, 04:51 PM
On 2004-06-17 14:30, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
Running a QBasic program consisting of the following code will crash the QBasic interpretor, due to a never-ending loop.

GOTO 10

The next line of code tells the computer to go back to label 10. Effectively, the code will never end.

If you want to be really clever, another couple of lines can be added between 10 and GOTO 10 that adds 1 to a given value, then displays it.

EDIT: Also consider, that PSO World doesn't like to interpret the "CODE" command in BBcode.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HUnewearl_Meira on 2004-06-17 14:32 ]</font>

My mom took away my SNES a while back, so I went on the family computer and made a similar Qbasic program start before loading windows. Then after that...it the computer wouldnt work for some reason.

Coincidentally, the computer started working again shortly after I got my SNES back.

HUnewearl_Meira
Jun 17, 2004, 04:59 PM
On 2004-06-17 14:51, Prof_Frink wrote:

On 2004-06-17 14:30, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:

GOTO 10

My mom took away my SNES a while back, so I went on the family computer and made a similar Qbasic program start before loading windows. Then after that...it the computer wouldnt work for some reason.

Coincidentally, the computer started working again shortly after I got my SNES back.

Very clever there, Frink-master.

Here's another bit of interesting information.

Though they are a popular addition to fairly modern programing languages, such as QBasic or Visual Basic, C++ has no actual "String" variable type. A "String" variable is a variable containing entire words, sentences, or sometimes even entire paragraphs. If you were to highlight a segment of this post, and hit Ctrl+C, you would create a string variable in your computer's memory, which you could then past into any of a number of different locations.

While Strings are very useful, again, C++ technically does not have this facility, though it does have a Char-type variable. A "Char" type variable is a variable consisting of a single letter, or rather, a single character. It could be any single character you can create with your keyboard (including characters made by holding ALT, and typing any four-digit number between 0000 and 0254). Because we still need to use strings to make productive, communicable software, coders coding in C++ use what is refered to as a "Character Array" or "Char Array" to accomplish basically the same thing as a String.

An "Array" can be made from any type of variable. An Array allows many values to be written to a variable by the same name. When an Array is created, a number is specified to designate how many slots this array is to have. When used, a slot in the Array must be specified. Making them more useful, an Integer variable can be used to specify which slot is to be called. This enables Char Arrays to be written properly to the screen, among other things.

In languages like Visual Basic, a String is is actually just a Char Array, but the language defines it as its own variable-type, making them much easier to create and work with.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HUnewearl_Meira on 2004-06-17 15:24 ]</font>

Garanz2
Jun 17, 2004, 05:17 PM
The GES Biorifle, when fully charged, reduces a person to a pile of steaming goop with a single shot, regardless of health or shielding. So Nyah.

Sef
Jun 17, 2004, 05:20 PM
On 2004-06-17 14:30, tactician7777 wrote:

I could have sworn Sega did too...

HUnewearl_Meira
Jun 17, 2004, 05:26 PM
On 2004-06-17 15:20, Sef wrote:

Sega made pinball machines (and later, arcade cabinets), and sold them to US Military bases to keep the troops entertained. The name "SEGA" comes from the company's original initials stamped on the crates the machines came in-- SErvice GAmes.

Tact
Jun 17, 2004, 05:39 PM
Here's some knowledge: I'm signed up with PSOW.

Ok, some REAL knowledge: The distance from various things to the Sun is measured in AU (Astronomical Units). 1 AU is 93 million miles. This means that the earth is exactly 1 AU from the Sun.

Nai_Calus
Jun 17, 2004, 05:46 PM
On 2004-06-17 15:39, tactician7777 wrote:

Ok, some REAL knowledge: The distance from various things to the Sun is measured in AU (Astronomical Units). 1 AU is 93 million miles. This means that the earth is exactly 1 AU from the Sun.

Except it usually isn't. It's only 93 million miles at at most a couple of points on it's orbit. The orbits of all the planets are eliptical - Some extremely so, as is the case with Pluto. Parts of Pluto's orbit cuts into Neptune's - There are periods where Neptune, not Pluto, is the farthest from the sun.

Tact
Jun 17, 2004, 05:50 PM
On 2004-06-17 15:46, Ian-KunX wrote:

On 2004-06-17 15:39, tactician7777 wrote:

Ok, some REAL knowledge: The distance from various things to the Sun is measured in AU (Astronomical Units). 1 AU is 93 million miles. This means that the earth is exactly approximately 1 AU from the Sun.

Except it usually isn't. It's only 93 million miles at at most a couple of points on it's orbit. The orbits of all the planets are eliptical - Some extremely so, as is the case with Pluto. Parts of Pluto's orbit cuts into Neptune's - There are periods where Neptune, not Pluto, is the farthest from the sun.

Ok, I changed it, Ian. Is that better now?

HUnewearl_Meira
Jun 17, 2004, 05:56 PM
Actually, on average, the Earth is roughly between 90 million miles and 95 million miles from the Sun.

Still, 1 AU is defined as 93 million miles, exactly. I would assume this number was chosen, because it's a nice, round number that's easy to work with, and can be found by averaging 90 million and 95 million, then rounding to the nearest whole million.

MisterKreyl
Jun 17, 2004, 05:57 PM
FLCL information

Amarao's eyebrows are made of dried seaweed.
Haruko's license plate number is 5656.
On miyu-miyu's bowl, it says Miyu squared, an Evangeloin reference.
Canti's guitar in ep.#5 is the Gibson EB-0.
Um...Canti is cool...*thumbs up*

Random crap

Slipknot's original name was Meld, then Pyg System.
Monkeys are Funny.
Anubis began as the god of the dead, then became God of embalming during the next age.
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is a lung disease.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_quickdraw.gif

Tact
Jun 17, 2004, 05:59 PM
On 2004-06-17 15:57, MisterKreyl wrote:
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is a lung disease.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_quickdraw.gif

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis (yes, I copy-pasted. I'm a slacker) is also feared by people with hippomostrosequippedaliophobia.

Sef
Jun 17, 2004, 06:03 PM
On 2004-06-17 15:26, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:

On 2004-06-17 15:20, Sef wrote:

Sega made pinball machines (and later, arcade cabinets), and sold them to US Military bases to keep the troops entertained. The name "SEGA" comes from the company's original initials stamped on the crates the machines came in-- SErvice GAmes.

Heh, thanks Meira. I get my companies mixed up. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

HUnewearl_Meira
Jun 17, 2004, 06:05 PM
SPAM is made (mostly) from pig shoulders that Hormel otherwise wouldn't be able to use. The inspiration came shortly before World War II, when Hormel began observing that they were developing quite a stock pile of surplus meat, that wouldn't be acceptable as normal ham.

Trying to find a way to get rid of it, and make a profit, they decided to can it. A little bit of actual ham often gets into it as well, they add some spices for flavor, and the jelly on top that keeps it packed is made from boiled-down pig skin.

Hormel initially marketted the canned product as "Spiced Ham," but soon held a contest within the company to come up with a more appealing name for it. The name "SPAM" was chosen-- an amalgam of "Spiced Ham".

So no, "SPAM" does not stand for "Specially Prepared Artificial Meat", nor does it stand for "Stuff Posing As Meat".

Totally unrelated...

The longest word in human language is the full nomenclature for DNA which has several hundred letters.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HUnewearl_Meira on 2004-06-17 16:07 ]</font>

Tact
Jun 17, 2004, 06:32 PM
On 2004-06-17 16:05, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
SPAM is made (mostly) from pig shoulders that Hormel otherwise wouldn't be able to use. The inspiration came shortly before World War II, when Hormel began observing that they were developing quite a stock pile of surplus meat, that wouldn't be acceptable as normal ham.

Trying to find a way to get rid of it, and make a profit, they decided to can it. A little bit of actual ham often gets into it as well, they add some spices for flavor, and the jelly on top that keeps it packed is made from boiled-down pig skin.

Hormel initially marketted the canned product as "Spiced Ham," but soon held a contest within the company to come up with a more appealing name for it. The name "SPAM" was chosen-- an amalgam of "Spiced Ham".

So no, "SPAM" does not stand for "Specially Prepared Artificial Meat", nor does it stand for "Stuff Posing As Meat".

Totally unrelated...

The longest word in human language is the full nomenclature for DNA which has several hundred letters.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HUnewearl_Meira on 2004-06-17 16:07 ]</font>

SPAM doesn't mean "Stupid Pointless Annoying Message"? What was the origin of the Web term, SPAM? Was it because nobody liked the food SPAM?

Outrider
Jun 17, 2004, 06:33 PM
Luke Skywalker was originally a character that seemed to combine both Skywalker and Han Solo. His name was Luke Starkiller.

Tact
Jun 17, 2004, 06:41 PM
Darth Vader is Luke's father. *deep helmet breatheing*

Mixfortune
Jun 17, 2004, 06:43 PM
On 2004-06-17 16:32, tactician7777 wrote:

SPAM doesn't mean "Stupid Pointless Annoying Message"? What was the origin of the Web term, SPAM? Was it because nobody liked the food SPAM?

There's another thread up currently that discusses this.
If you've seen Monty Python, it seems to have originated from the restaurant scene where they serve spam with eggs, spam with sasage, spam spam and eggs spam, then proceed to list a long list of spam meals, and it soonc arries over into "spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam" chanting.

Forumgoers posting the quotes over and over until the end of time probably gave birth to the now used internet term. Of course, I can't say for certain if that was how it turned out to be, but it does seem like a logical path...

Tact
Jun 17, 2004, 06:45 PM
That sounds about correct...the only Monty Python thing I've seen is Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tactician7777 on 2004-06-17 16:45 ]</font>

Daikarin
Jun 18, 2004, 11:50 AM
http://www.taube-weinhold.de/spaessken/pizza.jpg

Hahaz! "Mozzarella and Tomato sauce"... They sure fooled everyone allright, them Italian cooks!

Sord
Jun 18, 2004, 11:54 AM
I believe Meira should post no more long facts (no more then a paragraph) and that doesn't mean he's aloud to bunch it all up.