PDA

View Full Version : Cancelled TV

labratpat
May 30, 2002, 08:22 AM
Why is it that only the really great shows are always kicked off the air? For example, Rocko's Modern Life, Mystery Science Theater 3000, and Pee-wee's Playhouse. All absolutely hilarious and innovative, yet they stopped getting ratings. What's up with that? As for MST 3K, that cast has stayed together as Best Brains Productions, and is still putting stuff out, such as the hilarious series "Edward the Less", and Mike Nelson will soon have his own show, Kevin Murphy is writing for some entertainment magazine, and I'm not sure what Bill Corbett is doing. But still, why do they get rid of the best shows?

Falkon
May 30, 2002, 11:40 AM
Invader ZIM has started down that dark path too, let's hope they can save it...

FinalMasterM
May 30, 2002, 12:02 PM
I miss Saturday Anime and Animation Station on Sci-Fi the most. Partly because of the anime movies and Transformers where shown on those programs.

I miss 3 hour long Toonami also (which is coming back next week from what I've learned) but I miss Robotech and Gundam.

I can't wait til most things are released on DVD, that will be the only way to see most of the lost shows and things I missed. Hopefully it won't be long til I can get Digimon on DVD, mainly because the first series of that was great, same goes for Pokemon, but I don't want to spend $15 on a DVD with 3 poorly done episodes.

Last_Saiyan
May 30, 2002, 12:14 PM
Bring back the Thundercats!!! They brought back Transformer but it's a mess, Thundercats would rule like no other!!! They have great fight scenes, colorful characters, awesome storylines, and though the acting cheesy at times, the overall effect is just spectaculor!!!

Rhete
May 30, 2002, 12:54 PM
On 2002-05-30 10:14, Last_Saiyan wrote:
Bring back the Thundercats!!!

Someone hasn't watched toonami for a few weeks.

Anyways, it seems that all my favorite shows get cancelled. Upright Citizens Brigade, Invader Zim, Greg The Bunny, Futurama, Family Guy... I'm not sure if the last two are cancelled yet but they've come really close at times. Darn you tv execs! *shakes fist*

Deathscythealpha
May 30, 2002, 03:54 PM
Sadly it ends up as the few against the many.
It may seem like loads of people love a show, but then you relise its just become a small cult of people.

I miss Rocko's Modern Life.

Last_Saiyan
May 30, 2002, 04:08 PM
I have seen Thundercats on Toonami, what I'm saying by bringing them back is to make new episodes!! They brought Transformers in rendered forms and now they have it in cartoon format, I wished they re-animate the Thundercats also and continue the saga w/Lion-o's kid or something. I missed the big cow on Rocko's Modern life.

Psylocke
May 31, 2002, 06:16 PM
On 2002-05-30 14:08, Last_Saiyan wrote:
I missed the big cow on Rocko's Modern life.

HEIFER!!! hehehe I loved Rocko's Modern Life! Ah, Dr. Hutchison and...the turtle who's name I can't remember anymore! ACK! It's a tragedy! *shakes her head sadly* I want them to bring back the good X-Men cartoon that was on when I was in junior high. They had it on again for a little while a couple years ago, but then they made X-Men:Evolution and that one sucks!

Last_Saiyan
May 31, 2002, 06:42 PM
I can't remember Heifer, but I remember Filbert. He's the missing 5th Ninja Turtle. He's laying low because he would make the other ones look bad. His weapon of choice is the good ole Aussie Foster Beer. He can throw it, drink it for 2X of what Spinach does for popeye, and plus it gets him some bootay call action....so I've read.

Mazarin
May 31, 2002, 07:08 PM
Now, is Family Guy really cancelled? Of is it on another one if it's many hiatus?

In my opinion, Family Guy is putting out MUCH better stuff than the Simpsons have in the past year.

Titis is another good-now-gone...

labratpat
Jun 1, 2002, 02:21 PM
This is kinda obscure, but does anyone remember when they changed the "Chokey Chicken"(hehe) to the "Chewy Chicken" on Rocko? I got into an argument with a friend who claimed the eating establishment was called by the aft name. It took us a while to sort it out, but apparently the name shifted in season 6 or 7... if that name goes, the spirit of Rocko jokes goes out with it. Why'd they change it? Little kids don't get it. (I hope...)

Jason
Jun 1, 2002, 02:36 PM
Super Mario Bros. and Zelda cartoons. I missed those.

Alielle
Jun 1, 2002, 02:49 PM
labrat: Do you remember the "No-Tell Motel"?

goldman
Jun 1, 2002, 04:09 PM
lol rocko's modern life was great

but I know why kids didn't watch it they don't get the jokes.

I mean that show was filled with umm
"sexual tones" i think It would be called

damn my low vocabulry
:|

and my horrid spelling :|

but why get rid of invader slim? I thought people loved that show?

Vitamin_D
Jun 1, 2002, 04:35 PM
Why the HELL did they cancel the Fresh Prince!? In West Philadelphia born and raised...

Shotie
Jun 1, 2002, 06:42 PM
...in the playgrounds of New York is where I spent most of my days...

Ack, that's damned catchy.

Well, anyway, most of the shows you've all listed have a somewhat 'cult' status, and arent always popular with the masses. Cult movies usually appeal to a specific group only, not a broader range, and so they don't pull in good ratings.

Also, keep in mind, the ratings usually come from houses with adults in them, so kids shows aren't as viewed. We were a Nelson family about 3 years ago-they give you a little diary, and for a week, you document what you watch, and at what times. Since teenagers and kids usually dont do those, the ratings for those shows is typically lower. (at least with Nelson ratings)

AnubisOfTheEast
Jun 1, 2002, 06:53 PM
whoever makes the cuts at Fox needs to burn in hell.
They've cancelled great shows:
Family Guy (funniest show on TV)
Titus
Dark Angel (Jessica Alba is hot as hell)

and they almost cancelled Futurama. Bastards.

Zio
Jun 1, 2002, 08:26 PM
they cancelled greg the bunny? even though i never watched the show, didnt they only air a couple of episodes? Dark Angel was cancelled too? I thought it was still playing on the WB.

Psylocke
Jun 2, 2002, 01:27 AM
They cancelled Titus?
*falls over*
That show kicked abundant amounts of ass! It was funny!
*is sad now*

Balthor
Jun 2, 2002, 01:39 AM
obviously some people havent heard of"season finale"its may...welll was may,and thats the month where shows face the chopping block,most never made it http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif but cmon!how cold fox cut off greg the bunny after 7 EPISODES?!?!?!?!?....lucky for me rockos comes on at 5:30 a.m here for some reason,and fresh prince comes on at freaking 2:30 in the morn'....but man i stay up to watch it every night,watching will slap poor carlton around,and jeffrey being a smart ass http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif but ren and stimpy will always have a place in my heart http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif that and rocko....must have rocko and ren and stimpy tapes......hey what about kenan and kel...does that still come on?that got a lotta laughs outta me http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Nerd
Jun 2, 2002, 02:54 AM
I'm always saddened when a show i liked is cancelled, then i remember that i only watched one out of ever 12 episodes anyway...

Family Guy is HILARIOUS brilliant stuff...ive seen like 4 episodes *cough*

But i dont have a Nielsen box installed so dont hate me too much..

DeathCheese87
Jun 2, 2002, 02:34 PM
yeah, im going to miss ZIM greatly if it isnt revived. one of the best shows in a long time.

i laugh at all of you. ive recently found a nicktoons channel on my big ass cable box. it shows rocko and the angry beavers. ah, i love reliving the cartoons.

GI JIMBO! hes gonna save the day for YOU and YOU and YOU!

Aerwen
Jun 4, 2002, 01:00 PM
sigh, if only there were a channel for canceled shows. it seems they have one for everything else, why not? and VH1 has ren and stimpy on in the middle of the night. Invader Zim is absolutely great. (to make room for the cupcake!) Animaniacs was great too, but I'm afraid the humor was once again over most childrens "heds". This all makes me SOOO appreciative of Adult Swim on Cartoon Network. finally, a place for "mature cartoons". i love cartoon network... (i miss you, cupcake)

is it supposed to be stupid?
it's not stupid, it's advanced

Psylocke
Jun 5, 2002, 06:34 AM
Ah, good ol' Animaniacs!

How about Tiny Toons and Freakazoid? Freakazoid kicked all sorts of ass! hehehe

And Jem and the Holograms!!! Anybody remember that?

AnubisOfTheEast
Jun 5, 2002, 11:44 AM
apparently, titus has NOT BEEN CANCELLED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i went to the Titus site at Fox.com and it says new episodes this summer.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Ziggy-san
Jun 5, 2002, 02:30 PM
Rocko and Beavers weren't necessarily canceled, aaa, they just got old, and they needed to make room for new shows. Ehh, Invader Zim in not cancelled, at least not here. They just showed a new episode recently, and you can download full divx encoded episodes on the weekends at http://www.wormbaby.com or 24/7 if you pay 10 dollars a month -_- Aaa, still a good connection if you've got cable http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif Amgoof, I miss Rocko and Beavers...

labratpat
Jun 10, 2002, 06:09 AM
*gasp* Rocko got old?! What is this blasphemy you speak? That show never gets old. I used to watch the same one like three times in one week and still laugh at it! I do agree, however, that Angry Beavers did get a touch old, only because it didn't have rewatchability(is that a word?) and they kinda started to recycle story lines with different characters.And yes, how could I forget the No-Tell Motel. Was that in the road-trip one where Heff and Rocko go to see Flem Rock?

Ziggy-san
Jun 10, 2002, 08:11 PM
Aaa, what I meant by Rocko got old is it became an old show and people weren't watching, or at least...not enough people that they could keep it running. I agree though, I miss them both dearly...

labratpat
Jun 10, 2002, 08:28 PM
I know what you mean... unfortunately that happened with MST 3K also... but my guess with MST is that they started runnin' out of cheezy movies to watch without having to fight with copyright crud. But Best Brains Productions, the team who did MST, has released Edward the Less, a hilarious online cartoon staring the stars of MST. It is a great spin-off of Lord of the Rings. If you enjoyed Saturday morning MST, you'll probably love this cartoon.

Ian D
Jun 12, 2002, 01:58 AM
On 2002-06-01 12:36, Jason wrote:
Super Mario Bros. and Zelda cartoons. I missed those.

true dat y0

g0th_gUrL
Jun 12, 2002, 02:06 AM
oh i loved peewee!!! My favorite episode was the one where he got sick and he showed us different things you could do with a pair of giant underpants. Does anyone remember that? lol...

I also really liked "Freaks and Geeks." I thought that was the best show ever then it just disappeared. For awhile they showed all the reruns at another channel and then those disappeared too. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Last_Saiyan
Jun 12, 2002, 03:03 PM
*yeah, I used to have a roll of aluminum and rubberbands myself. Pee wee kicked arse!!!