PDA

View Full Version : The Sum Of All Fears : Politically Correct Nonsense ?

BaronLaw
May 31, 2002, 06:28 PM
Odd. A movie concerning terrorism shies away from presenting the most likely culprits.
The Sum Of All Fears is rejected. Read On.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Culturebox

The Sum of All PC
Hollywood's reverse racial profiling.

By Reihan Salam
Posted Tuesday, May 28, 2002, at 2:41 PM PT

The threat of al-Qaida terrorist attacks is currently scaring America stiff. But you'd be hard-pressed to find Muslim terrorists in any of today's blockbuster action movies, which instead offer such uncontroversial bad guys as killer aliens and abusive husbands. Why is Hollywood shying away from al-Qaida-like villains?

Movies have always relied on politically relevant villains, from Russian spies to South African apartheidniks to Serbian ethnic cleansers. Tom Clancy's much-loved Jack Ryan series is the gold standard. Based on Clancy's best-selling novels, the movies featured hero Jack Ryan tackling the decaying Soviet empire in The Hunt for Red October, Irish nationalists in Patriot Games, and Colombian drug lords in Clear and Present Danger. Recently, Clancy has been credited by everyone from former CIA Director R. James Woolsey to Fox News' Bill O'Reilly with foreseeing the Sept. 11 terror attacks.

But in the about-to-be-released film version of The Sum of All Fears, based loosely on Clancy's 1991 novel of the same name, Paramount pulled a switcheroo. Clancy's original baddies were a motley crew of unreconstructed German Communists, a Sioux convict, and--the stumbling block--Hamas-like Palestinian terrorists opposed to the peace process. Long before Sept. 11, these were replaced with slickly dressed, easy-to-hate European neo-Nazis. While the basic plot remains the same (terrorists try to spark armed conflict between Russia and America by detonating a nuclear device at the Super Bowl, and Ryan saves the day) the movie is, for obvious reasons, far less relevant than the novel. It is also far more acceptable both to Hollywood sensibilities and the Arab ethnic lobby.

Though a staple of political thrillers since the days of the Ayatollah Khomeini, Muslim terrorists on-screen have been dwindling in numbers since the mid-1990s. Since then, groups like the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee and the Council on American-Islamic Relations have condemned movies like 1994's True Lies and 2000's Rules of Engagement, both of which featured violent, fanatical Muslims (as opposed to 1996's The Rock, which featured violent, fanatical Gulf War veterans or 2001's AntiTrust, which featured violent, fanatical software executives). They even protested 1998's critically acclaimed The Siege, a searing critique of anti-Arab hysteria. According to CAIR Executive Director Nihad Awad, "The barrage of negative or stereotypical portrayals of Muslims in this film," which presumably refers to the movie's all-too-realistic anti-American cabal, "will overpower any positive message."

By the time The Sum of All Fears movie was being developed, CAIR launched a pre-emptive campaign to rid the adaptation of the novel's Muslim terrorists ("Before we had typed a word on paper," producer Mace Neufeld has said, "I was getting complaints.") Harrison Ford, then slated for the lead, reportedly felt much the same way. Early script treatments cast Timothy McVeigh-style "superpatriots" as the heavies behind the bomb plot, not Muslims, a PC move par excellence. Later, director Phil Alden Robinson settled on neo-Nazis, a perennial favorite, at which point he wrote the following in a letter to CAIR: "I hope you will be reassured that I have no intention of promoting negative images of Muslims or Arabs, and I wish you the best in your continuing efforts to combat discrimination." Ben Affleck, the new Jack Ryan, has applauded the decision, arguing that "the Arab terrorist thing has been done a million times in the movies." (As opposed to the neo-Nazi thing?) And the terror attacks only heightened concerns over ethnic insensitivity. In late September, Paramount chairman Sherry Lansing expressed sympathy for "these Afghan or Arab children in high schools who are getting picked on," suggesting that she'd steer clear of movies with Muslim villains.

But Americans have demonstrated that they can separate a small, violent minority from the vast majority of peace-loving Arabs and Muslims, and a little realism in the movies wouldn't change that. This kind of ostentatious nonracial profiling can make action movies feel clueless and irrelevant. Besides, the real victims here may be the chills that are supposed to run down your spine during one of these films. With al-Qaida threatening more attacks on U.S. cities, moviegoers may not quiver at the sight of a few more imaginary neo-Nazis.

Article URL: http://slate.msn.com/?id=2066272

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BaronLaw on 2002-05-31 16:32 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BaronLaw on 2002-05-31 16:55 ]</font>

Gryph
May 31, 2002, 07:06 PM
What's your point?

BaronLaw
May 31, 2002, 07:10 PM
The point isn't hard to grasp. The Sum of All Fears has bowed to the dictates of political correctness--pulling an ideological and ethnic switcharoo, and making the movie (as the commentator notes) less relevant.

BaronLaw

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BaronLaw on 2002-05-31 17:11 ]</font>

TinyGrendel
May 31, 2002, 07:17 PM
On 2002-05-31 17:10, BaronLaw wrote:
The point isn't hard to grasp. The Sum of All Fears has bowed to the dictates of political correctness--pulling an ideological and ethnic switcharoo, and making the movie (as the commentator notes) less relevant.

BaronLaw

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BaronLaw on 2002-05-31 17:11 ]</font>

So? They have been doing this for years... And due to sept 11, this is not the first movie. Remember that movie with the fireman that was with held until this year?

Of course, they don't seem to care when they make a movie called "white men can't jump" but that's another story.

Gryph
May 31, 2002, 07:19 PM
I also noticed he failed to mention the earlier two versions of the movie.

The first stared Harrison Ford, the other Martin Sheen.

BaronLaw
May 31, 2002, 07:25 PM
On 2002-05-31 17:17, TinyGrendel wrote:

On 2002-05-31 17:10, BaronLaw wrote:

BaronLaw

So? They have been doing this for years... And due to sept 11, this is not the first movie. Remember that movie with the fireman that was with held until this year?

Of course, they don't seem to care when they make a movie called &quot;white men can't jump&quot; but that's another story.

I'm not sure where your disagreement lies, but if you can figure it out, by all means, let me know.

The Sum Of All Fears is another instance of leftwingers in Hollywood taking a story, adding a heavy dose of political correctness, and making the movie adaptation worse as a result.

BaronLaw

Dangerous55
May 31, 2002, 07:30 PM
On 2002-05-31 17:17, TinyGrendel wrote:

Of course, they don't seem to care when they make a movie called "white men can't jump" but that's another story.

I love you, I have been saying this forever.
Like Chris Rock, he makes fun of whites, NOBODY CARES. But if I went up there on stage making fun of blacks, I would never work again. Its always like that, you cant say ANYTHING to "minoritys" because they will get all pissy about anything. Now I am not racist at all, but it bugs me when white people can be made fun of som easy(is white) but hands off minoritys. Shaq, and all black basketball players always say "Oh, you dunk like a white boy" or mkae fun of other black players for getting stuffed by a white guy. BULLSHIT!!!!!

pixelate
May 31, 2002, 07:51 PM
Maybe they pulled the Muslim terrorist plot because of the already high anti-Muslim sentiment going around. Having Muslim terrorists in the movie would only add to the mystique that Muslims have to some people, like being linked to a violent religious faction, which is not true. Yes, some people may be able to separate the good from the bad, but the thing is, most people are dolts and don't think things through, like this...

On 2002-05-31 17:30, Dangerous55 wrote:
Shaq, and all black basketball players always say "Oh, you dunk like a white boy" or mkae fun of other black players for getting stuffed by a white guy.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: pixelate on 2002-05-31 18:23 ]</font>

Dangerous55
May 31, 2002, 08:26 PM
On 2002-05-31 17:51, pixelate wrote:
Yes, some people may be able to separate the good from the bad, but the thing is, most people are dolts and don't think things through, like this...

Shaq, and all black basketball players always say "Oh, you dunk like a white boy" or mkae fun of other black players for getting stuffed by a white guy.

OK, I got that from Rick Reily, a writer from Sports Illustrated, who in turn, heard it from 3 white basketball players who have heard that ALOT, and hate it. SOo go call them dolts, but maybe the real dolt, and who doesnt think things through, is you.

pixelate
May 31, 2002, 08:38 PM
On 2002-05-31 18:26, Dangerous55 wrote:
OK, I got that from Rick Reily, a writer from Sports Illustrated, who in turn, heard it from 3 white basketball players who have heard that ALOT, and hate it. SOo go call them dolts, but maybe the real dolt, and who doesnt think things through, is you.

Three whole players?

And you and this writer have spoken with every black basketball player who told you they speak this way? Just don't say ALL black players say things like that unless they've all admitted doing so or been caught doing so. And you can't assume they all speak that way because of only three white players making statements.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: pixelate on 2002-05-31 18:47 ]</font>

Dangerous55
May 31, 2002, 08:46 PM
On 2002-05-31 18:38, pixelate wrote:

3 whole players?

And you and this writer have spoken with every black basketball player who told you they speak this way?

I dont exactly remember how many got it told to. Prolly all of them, but thats beside the point, so your saying its ok if it happens to 3 or 2 white guys? And yea, I have spoken with every black basketball player(Im lying) but Rick Reily sure could have, of course not all blacks are gonna say that, I made a mistake, but I bet its more then 50%.

ABDUR101
Jun 1, 2002, 04:31 AM
Unfortunately, alot of people are ignorant. Alot of ignorant people watch tv and movies, and take everything they see and hear as golden. Alot of ignorant people can't get over the stereotypes, and find it easier just to look at something and only see the one side, no matter how horrid it seems.

If Hollywood has to make afew crap-as-fuck movies so the ignorant people shut the hell up and stop panicking when they see Abdur walk into the local Quick-E Mart, then thats fine.

Who cares? Are you saying that the entertainment of movies and the story behind them is more important than raising awareness that not all of a certain minority/nation is out to kill you, your children and american lives?

I'll take all the crappiest movies they can put out in a year if it means afew people get over their stereo-typing fits.

Priorities people, sheesh.

Shrevn
Jun 1, 2002, 10:33 AM
Actually i heard about this yesterday when they were givin it a review... they said
it was supposed to be about some alcaida
people instead of the assumed russians
that trew the bomb or somenthing....

Like i said before POLITICALLY CORRECTNESS
its just costing trouble all around the world not much helping as its supposed to be.

LoL, I was just watching DIGIMON...
isnt the cartoon supposed to be on japan?
Well on the cartoon they have a black guy
a hindu lady a australian guy and i saw before a spanish guy... i mean in japan?
lol but like i said before
everybody tries to make everything politically correct so there wont be any troubles with the minorities.

TinyGrendel
Jun 1, 2002, 11:08 AM
"Oh, you dunk like a white boy"

Of cousre, that could be a compliment. I sure don't wanna dunk like a "black boy" with all the gay rim hanging and all.

ABDUR101
Jun 1, 2002, 11:34 AM
On 2002-06-01 08:33, wobba wrote:
LoL, I was just watching DIGIMON...
isnt the cartoon supposed to be on japan?
Well on the cartoon they have a black guy
a hindu lady a australian guy and i saw before a spanish guy... i mean in japan?

..you do realise that these people VISIT Japan, right? I mean, really, you can understand the concept of tourism...

I mean, when was the last time you saw a TV show with a "black guy, hindu lady, australian guy and a spanish guy" in america and said "LOLZ, WTF?".

BaronLaw
Jun 1, 2002, 07:25 PM
On 2002-06-01 02:31, ABDUR101 wrote:
Unfortunately, alot of people are ignorant. Alot of ignorant people watch tv and movies, and take everything they see and hear as golden. Alot of ignorant people can't get over the stereotypes, and find it easier just to look at something and only see the one side, no matter how horrid it seems.

If Hollywood has to make afew crap-as-fuck movies so the ignorant people shut the hell up and stop panicking when they see Abdur walk into the local Quick-E Mart, then thats fine.

Who cares? Are you saying that the entertainment of movies and the story behind them is more important than raising awareness that not all of a certain minority/nation is out to kill you, your children and american lives?

I'll take all the crappiest movies they can put out in a year if it means afew people get over their stereo-typing fits.

Priorities people, sheesh.

Most reasonable people know that not all members of a group are prone to violence or any other behavioral characteristic.

Yes, movies should not be made to cater to the lowest common denominator---the few who cannot make elementary distinctions. But, that's irrelevant, the film wasn't released as a tool of social awareness.

The story was changed precisely to avoid " giving offense, " even when changing that story made it fundamentally less compelling. A classic case of political correctness.

BaronLaw

Gryph
Jun 1, 2002, 11:39 PM
It's just a movie. Things get changed all the time in novel to movie conversions.