PDA

View Full Version : What is it with people bumping topics

Superguppie
Jun 30, 2004, 02:29 AM
Lately I have gotten the impression the bumping of old topics is on the increase. Not only is it annoying to see those old topics resurface, it also makes me wonder about the people who do it.
What on earth are they thinking going back that far? Some topics must be on page 100 or something. I can't imagine how bored I must be to plough through all those pages and then respond to something so out of date. The only way to find a topic there is to consiously and deliberatly go to a page like that with the intent to bump. And just exactly what is the use of that?

Eanae
Jun 30, 2004, 07:12 AM
It's called being a noob and thinking you're so cool that you don't need to read the rules. That's what it always is. There was some 8 month old topic that resurfaced yesterday that i pointed out to an admin. It was rediculous...

Ahya
Jun 30, 2004, 08:13 AM
Maybe some of the noobs dont know they are remaking an old topic. Just let the old topics resurface and reply to new ones you see. Maybe that might help? I just reply because I get bored online, new and old topics alike.At least Im occupied for a bit! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif And these smilie are kool lol

Ness
Jun 30, 2004, 08:14 AM
Two words: shock value. They do it because they know a whole bunch of other members will squirm, cry, and make thread complaining about it. Instant attention. That's what I did when I first came here and the news of my "crime" spread like a wild fire. That's one reason why so many people know me today and also one of the reasons I was named "most mistreated."

Armok
Jun 30, 2004, 08:16 AM
On 2004-06-30 06:14, Ness wrote:
Two words: shock value. They do it because they know a whole bunch of other members will squirm, cry, and make thread complaining about it. Instant attention. That's what I did when I first came here and the news of my "crime" spread like a wild fire. That's one reason why so many people know me today and also one of the reasons I was named "most mistreated."

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif Shameful acts

Personally I see no real problem with bumping an old topic if it has some relivance to a newer topic currently in dicussion.

Superguppie
Jun 30, 2004, 08:29 AM
On 2004-06-30 06:14, Ness wrote:
Two words: shock value. They do it because they know a whole bunch of other members will squirm, cry, and make thread complaining about it. Instant attention.
Which is why I have stopped responding to bumps. It's just a matter of time before a mod finds and locks it. I would even understand warnings being handed out for responding to a bump. Best way to deal with a bump: IGNORE IT.
Still, I am amazed by people finding those things. And some even make a post that looks like they are on topic, and not just bumping to annoy.

On 2004-06-30 06:16, Armok wrote:
Personally I see no real problem with bumping an old topic if it has some relivance to a newer topic currently in dicussion.

I wouldn't have much of a problem with on topic bumping either. Although I prefer a new topic with a reference to the old one.
Point is, looking at the recently bumped topics, I am really wondering what these people were thinking. If they were serious, they must have taken days, just to read all the way back to them. (If you're serious you read everything, just to see if it needs a response. And that's a lot of reading.)
Guess Ness is right, and they're just attention whores...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Superguppie on 2004-06-30 06:30 ]</font>

Ness
Jun 30, 2004, 08:32 AM
On 2004-06-30 06:29, Superguppie wrote:
Which is why I have stopped responding to bumps. It's just a matter of time before a mod finds and locks it. I would even understand warnings being handed out for responding to a bump. Best way to deal with a bump: IGNORE IT.
Still, I am amazed by people finding those things. And some even make a post that looks like they are on topic, and not just bumping to annoy.

However, that doesn't change the fact that you made a thread about it. I'm not just ripping on you in particular; I say this to everyone who makes a thread complaining about bumping.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ness on 2004-06-30 06:32 ]</font>

Ahya
Jun 30, 2004, 08:41 AM
Topic bumping is pretty helpful to some especially me, since im not really up to date with this game. i also get opinions of other about the stuff in the game. It helps me alot .. I think topic bumping is a nice way to get along with some of the forum posters. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ahya on 2004-06-30 06:42 ]</font>

KodiaX987
Jun 30, 2004, 09:13 AM
Topic bumping is a n00b and criminal offense and should be punishable by death.

Oh yeah, and a ban too.

Firocket1690
Jun 30, 2004, 01:07 PM
Bradicus still hates me for purposedly bumping and locking a certain topic of his ..

>=D

Mixfortune
Jun 30, 2004, 01:58 PM
On 2004-06-30 06:41, Ahya wrote:
Topic bumping is pretty helpful to some especially me, since im not really up to date with this game. i also get opinions of other about the stuff in the game. It helps me alot .. I think topic bumping is a nice way to get along with some of the forum posters. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ahya on 2004-06-30 06:42 ]</font>

Possibly, but you don't necessarily need to post in an old thread to get others opinions, when the opinions for the most part are already there.

Generally, the topic was dropped down the list because at the time people stopped talking about it. It would be preferrable to make a new topic related to the matter rather than bump a 3 month old one where half the members in the thread are either gone or aren't even interested in talking about it anymore.

Provided that it's not some sort of thread that's created even 2 weeks, making a new topic would be preferrable.

darthsaber9x9
Jun 30, 2004, 05:50 PM
on topic: i think its a biological thing :#

Mixfortune
Jun 30, 2004, 06:00 PM
On 2004-06-30 15:50, darthsaber9x9 wrote:

How fitting that you posted in this thread while trying to get your name next to every board in an attempt to spam.

Sheesh.

darthsaber9x9
Jun 30, 2004, 06:28 PM
On 2004-06-30 16:00, Mixfortune wrote:

On 2004-06-30 15:50, darthsaber9x9 wrote:

How fitting that you posted in this thread while trying to get your name next to every board in an attempt to spam.

Sheesh.

actually i posted this in the wrong thread. seriously this would have been a sensical reply!

on topic here: yeh as i did comment in another thread with lain, its not really worth getting worked up about bumps

InfinityXXX
Jun 30, 2004, 09:53 PM
When i first joined psoworld i made a topic(i forget its name) and i never got to respond to it due to i had the sasser virus.(For those who don't know, that virus was a cpu virus that shutted down your cpu evrytime you logged onto the internet) I finally got rid of it in 3 weeks and I finally responded to my topic that i created and people got mad at me for bumping old topic. I think bumping a topic is only good in certain scenarios(such as mine) but i can see why some people get mad over it. Me, personally, I try not to get worked up over petty things.

Ahya
Jul 2, 2004, 08:30 PM
So how long does it take for a topic to get old?

And in my opinion topic bumping is a good way to get some people in trouble. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

But I wouldnt do that to other posters...

Ness
Jul 2, 2004, 09:42 PM
I think it was said once that any topic on the first or second page is fair game. Anything before that shouldn't be bumped.

Outrider
Jul 2, 2004, 10:23 PM
Well, if I'm not mistaken... rules are different for Fanfics and the like, right?

Dhylec
Jul 3, 2004, 07:33 AM
Outrider wrote:
rules are different for Fanfics and the like, right?

it depends..
if an author is updating part of the chapter, then it's ok

if it's a new chapter.. make a new topic!
link to the previous chapter if necessary, but bumping isn't recommended

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dhylec on 2004-07-03 05:35 ]</font>

Solstis
Jul 3, 2004, 09:10 AM
On 2004-07-03 05:33, Dhylec wrote:

Outrider wrote:
rules are different for Fanfics and the like, right?

it depends..
if an author is updating part of the chapter, then it's ok

if it's a new chapter.. make a new topic!
link to the previous chapter if necessary, but bumping isn't recommended

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dhylec on 2004-07-03 05:35 ]</font>

Uh... oops.

Kadavreski
Jul 4, 2004, 02:43 AM
but, of course, its better to bump an old topic to create a new one of the same thing, isnt it.

i'd prefer that to another what charecter class are you thread...=/