PDA

View Full Version : What is with the new sonic the hedgehog games..

InfinityXXX
Jul 3, 2004, 04:24 PM
Do you guys think sonic the hedgehog is losing his touch? I mean sonic 1,2,3 and knuckles were great. Also Adventures 2 was great but it wasn't that great. I just played heroes and its a great game but not as great as adventure 2. Tails voice is messed up and i hate the songs in it. (Team dark song is great but team chaotix)

Solstis
Jul 3, 2004, 04:33 PM
Sonic games have been sliding downhill, in my opinion, since Sonic Cd.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif.

On another note... how many rants can you pump out? I can see one, maybe two rants a week, but...

Zzzzzz
Jul 3, 2004, 05:02 PM
Yeah, IMO Sonic 3 with Sonic and Knuckles was the best out of the series. Nothing can change that.

KodiaX987
Jul 3, 2004, 08:33 PM
Ditto. I however did love the atmosphere of the end boss of Sonic 2. It was damned perfect.

DruidMettool
Jul 3, 2004, 09:23 PM
Sonic Heroes = crap
Sonic DX = crap
Sonic Battle = Never played it, but I assume it's crap.

Cmon Sega, Sonic had a good run and he needs to go to the old folks home of Video Gaming.

anwserman
Jul 3, 2004, 09:48 PM

Hey, all Sonic games as of recently have been average - not sucky. It isn't fair to compare games that exist nowadays (such as 3D Sonic) to ones that remember from our childhood.

Want me to explain why? Great games from the past are blown up in our mind, now if we play them over again the experience is average - it isn't the same as we used to think. It wasn't as holy or as wonderful as an experience today is it would have been, say, when we were 10 our 12 years old when we're now 19, 20 or 21. Correct?

I remember Super Mario Bros. 3 as the best game in the world, but that isn't how I percieve that game now. Yes, it is a classic but it is totally unfair to compare the often-harassed Sunshine vs. it. Now, if Nintendo made a new 2D Mario adventure, then it would be easily compared. Much how the new Sonic Advance games, they blow compared to the old sidescrollers on the Genesis and such... because they're both 2D platformers but the latest games lack intelligent level design and are too damn sprawling and involve too much hunting to get a damn chaos emerald. Whatever happened to finidng a big 'ol ring or correcting 50 rings and going through a lamppost? Sonic was always about speed, with the occasional (abliet simple) hunting but never about collecting 10 special rings and then finding a special springpad and then doing an obnoxiously hard bonus round with a .001 chanc eof you actually succeeding in getting the gem.

If you want a fair fight about games, limit it to 2D/2D and 3D/3D. Now Sonic Heroes? It has the speed but I've played the demo and I don't like it enough to buy it - maybe a rental. But I do love SA and SA2 - very good games I feel for a 3D platformer.

Bradicus
Jul 3, 2004, 10:07 PM
Until Sonic team can make a fast paced 3-D game without bugs hiding at every jump, i promise not to touch another GC release.

I demand that:
Cream, big, froggy, and any other pointless characters be burned.

Levels that ask me to search for emeralds be destroyed.

That nasty little "let's fling the players into space" problem be solved.

InfinityXXX
Jul 3, 2004, 10:24 PM
On 2004-07-03 14:33, Solstis wrote:
Sonic games have been sliding downhill, in my opinion, since Sonic Cd.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif.

On another note... how many rants can you pump out? I can see one, maybe two rants a week, but...

I'm bored, tired and my life for some reason is sucking! I think god is punishing me for something because to much bad stuff is happening to me. I creaed this topic because my bro bought sonic heroes yesterday and i just played it today and i'm bored.

DruidMettool
Jul 3, 2004, 11:12 PM
The voice acting in Sonic Heroes is worse (or possibly right on par) than the voice acting MegaMan 8. 'twas the worst thing to ever come out of my speakers since the music in the last liscensed disney game I played.

So why haven't you shot yourself in the ear yet? There's no other escape... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

ForceOfBrokenGlass
Jul 4, 2004, 12:05 AM
It seems like the GBA Sonic games have gone down hill too. Sonic Advance 1, Was far too easy, I could finish the entire game with one character in a sitting. Sonic Advance 3 wasn't particularly difficult except spike traps are more common and seemingly everywhere you stop. It wasn't like the earlier Sonic Games for genesis. Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles were enough back then.

Quite frankly I wonder what's been happening to Sonic Team all of this time? In general they've been going down hill since Sonic & Knuckles. Sonic 3D Blast was a joke and they haven't recovered since then. The mess they've made of the Phantasy Star series is salting the wound.

Kadavreski
Jul 4, 2004, 02:38 AM
times have changed, and sonic is now crap...he started off cool and stuff and then we get the same old crap churned out over and over again...think of DX i actuall found that really good, and what do they do? completely screw it up in sonic adventure 2

sonic team should focus their efforts on pso http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

sonic heroes is so bad it made me cry http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

InfinityXXX
Jul 4, 2004, 03:09 PM
I was at work today and for some reason i had that blasted team sonic theme in my head. "we can make it, if we all stick together, blablabla..."

Ness
Jul 4, 2004, 03:13 PM
"Sonic Adventure" was a the last Sonic game I didn't regret buying. SA2 was joke. It had fewer characters, a less intersting Chao system (despite the added features), and the story just wasn't as good.

Uncle_bob
Jul 4, 2004, 03:24 PM
ST's game quality went downhill after Sonic Adventure1 and the first PSO game.

Ness
Jul 4, 2004, 03:31 PM
On 2004-07-04 13:24, Uncle_bob wrote:
ST's game quality went downhill after Sonic Adventure1 and the first PSO game.

Indeed. PSO ver. 2 was a joke. Sure you could get to level 200, but you'd die of old age and/or malnutrition before you reached it.

DruidMettool
Jul 4, 2004, 03:41 PM
Sonic is just one of those video game characters that have more than overstayed their welcome. All of his best games were early in his career. But he's really been around too long. Sonic Team dosen't realize that Sonic is far past his prime.

One could say the same thing about Mario. You have to admit that Mario is past his prime. However, Nintendo seems to keep it so that Mario is always fresh and new. And it works. (SuperStar Saga was a revolution in A-RPG's). And, aside from the ever-recycled Mario Party seres, Mario always has something new to offer.

Sonic Heroes was nothing new at all. It was the same bland bullshit with even worse voice acting, more bugs, and unstable gameplay. Not to mention an abundance of useless characters and Levels that were too linear for their own good.

Get off the conveyor belt, Sonic Team, and start giving us games that we won't know how to master within 5 minutes. Only then will people start respecting you again.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DruidMettool on 2004-07-04 13:44 ]</font>

Ness
Jul 4, 2004, 04:10 PM
Actually, I prefer good, monotonous games over original, boring games. Mario may be different everytime, but is games were never as fun as Sonic's. To me, Sonic never got old because there was always something different about him and his games. As for Mario, with the exception of Super Mario RPG and a few other games, he is still trying to rescue the Princess from Bowser.

Deathscythealpha
Jul 5, 2004, 06:10 PM
The problem that has struck Sonic is evolution and demand fro more advanced stuff from the fan base.

Sonic was praised back in its day for being revolutionery in its use of speed. SOnic 2 came laong and did the same, but better. Sonic 3 and Knuckles added sprawling levels that could be completed in several ways. What was Sonic Team Left to do now?

The Sonic games soon started to get bashed for being easy to complete due to its speed (i think i could probably whizz through Sonic 1 in about 25 minutes maybe, the first 3 Green Hill stages can easily be done in just over a minute). Sonic sees this and in the newer games the levels became longer and harder to get through. And the end result to this? People moaned that the levels were too long to get through, too hard to complete and not like the old Sonic games.

Other characters were branching out into the 3D realm and Sonic got bashed for staying 2D (Note* Sonic 3D was not made by Sonic Team, it was made by Travellers Tales who liscensed out Sonic while ST worked on NiGHTS and Burning Rangers). Sonic Team worked hard to make Sonic Adventure, a fully 3D Sonic game. The result? Again, people moaning and bashing that it wasnt the same as the 2D games.

Sonic tried to evolve and got held back by people cherishing the good old days. Everytime he tries somehting new he gets knocked down for not ebing the same.

Now this doesnt condone 'Sonic Heroes' as being a good game, it was mediocre and kinda boring. But it shows that Sonic Team tried listening to peoples complaints about the older games (to easy/quick to complete) and add on them. Tis a shame that they just didnt do it right.

Bradicus
Jul 5, 2004, 06:22 PM
On 2004-07-04 13:41, DruidMettool wrote:
However, Nintendo seems to keep it so that Mario is always fresh and new. And it works. (SuperStar Saga was a revolution in A-RPG's).
Mario vs Donkey Kong was like a party in my hands, and everyone was invited.

Daikarin
Jul 5, 2004, 06:38 PM
I believe they went down-hill since Sonic Adventure 1 for the Dreamcast.

What can I say, I think SEGA is too conservative to come up with a new and revolutionary Sonic the Hedgehog game.