PDA

View Full Version : FIRST BLACK PERSON TO...

Uncle_bob
Jul 6, 2004, 06:50 PM
This isn't meant to be racist, so if you take it that way go ahead and shove. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

What's with all this stuff on the news constantly about the FIRST BLACK PERSON TO BECOME A TEACHER AT SO AND SO UNIVERSITY. My god, this isn't the 60's anymore, black people aren't oppressed by laws and codes anymore. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif They're people just like everyone else, why make a big deal about it if they get a job somewhere?

Before we know it, there will be people on the news saying something like "NEWS FLASH! FIRST BLACK WOMAN NAMED BOB WITH A FAKE EYE GOES TO MIAMI!!111oneone@22"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Uncle_bob on 2004-07-06 16:51 ]</font>

derBauer
Jul 6, 2004, 07:09 PM
It seems a little stupid to me too. Maybe they are making an effort to get positive black role models in the news.

DruidMettool
Jul 6, 2004, 07:50 PM
Nobody mentions or talks about the white people anymore... and when they do it's always negative.

But yeah, it gets kinda tiring to to see "[name] is first [minority group] person to [career verb] at [place]". I'm all for equality and stuff, but I don't wanna hear about it every single time something happens.

I'm not a racist of any sort. I've come to accept African Americans, Homosexuals, Goths, and even Transgenders/Hermaphrodites (I go to school with one) in my life. That said, don't judge me wrongly

opaopajr
Jul 6, 2004, 08:02 PM
you know, this is a wonderful post. it shows that with this new generation we have gone so far in our progress that they are honestly baffled by this exercise. that gives me hope.

if you weren't aware things were not always like this - african american accomplishments were thoroughly overlooked and derided in the not-so-distant past. in fact i'm probably not much older than you (well maybe i am) but i had a different school experience growing up than you did, and my sibling who is 10 years older than me even more different from mine. what you see now is a side of history that was whitewashed, stolen, or deprived from me.

you are very fortunate to live in a time when you do get to see stuff like this. and to think you haven't the lifetime context to understand how monumentus this is shocking, but also enlightening showing that there is hope for the future. that ignorance and hate can be undone with such speed really brightens my day. maybe when you're older you'll discover the value of this gift that you now have the luxury to take for granted.

this information enlivens history, gives perspective on how all americans helped built the american experience, and gives heroes and role models to groups who previously were shut out or had to appreciate their accomplishments in secret.

ps: unfortunately, now i'm beginning to understand what i've always heard from adults: "youth is wasted on the young." and "the luxuries created by the previous generation leaves a spoiled and unappreciative progeny." to think, i too was as young and oblivious in the face of such opportunity is humbling. you cannot escape the cycles of life... it all comes full circle.

Ness
Jul 6, 2004, 09:22 PM
I was going to wait awhile and see how this played out before I posted, but.....

Well I for one am not tired of it. In fact, I think that they should do it more often. How quickly people forget that it was not long ago when blacks, hispanics, or any other minority did something positive, he was looked down upon by white people as "trying to be something he's not." This is just showing that we are getting closer to social equality. I'm glad to see minorities stepping up to the palte and doing thins normally done by white people.

You know this further proves my assertion that the only reason the majority is against the promotion of a minority is because they aren't benefitted by it.

It makes me so happy to know that there are children out there that appreciate the accomplishments of minorites and understand how after years of stuggling, they can finally do what white people are able to do. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

KodiaX987
Jul 6, 2004, 09:43 PM
Whites, blacks, yellows, reds, blues and even greens all fall into the one totally awesome category known as PEOPLE. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif The only way I will differentiate people will be by their first and last names.

I dare anyone to make it even simpler.

Master_of_Dragons
Jul 6, 2004, 10:25 PM
Gender... thats simpler HA....

InfinityXXX
Jul 6, 2004, 10:32 PM
Even though that all the racist laws are gone it still is hard for minorities to do certain things that whites can.( Trust me I know) To see a latino or african american doctor is not that common so it really makes another latino or african american happy to see one of there race or of another race that you don't see that often in that position. This is also similar to basketball, there are few whites or asians in the NBA so when you here about a white or asian player that makes it in the NBA, the asians and whites are happy because their not use to seeing their race in that position.

When I won boy of the year and the president award for my school. I was the first African American to ever do that in my school. I had all sorts of people congragulating me on it. Asians, African American's, Hindu's, Arabian's, Latino etc. I think that the one reason why the media is saying that so and so is the first race to ever do this is to prove that America isn't racist. To make America look good and to also let minority children know that they could do the exact same thing.

It think minorites are still oppressed. Though we have integration and affirmative action, there is still a scar that is left on certain races from the segregation period that make them disbelieve that they can't do certain things as whites. The media is in a way trying to boost minorities self asteem. My granmom still thinks in the ways of the 60's that she can't do this because shes not white. I think thats a wrong way of thinking but I can't blame her, she was raised in that way of thinking and that is instilled in her. Theres other people that are like this and they have children and their children think like this and their children's children think like this. It's a never ending cycle.

Their is no way that we can pernametly stop this cycle nor racism but we can make it better. I say continue saying that "so and so is the first race to do this" so we can eventuall cripple this cycle.

shifter
Jul 6, 2004, 11:04 PM
hell, im glad to see it, i wish there was more of it on the news. the majority of the time some accomplishment by a minority is over looked by tv news or buried in the back pages by the papers. its really good to see a positive minority on the screen instead what the news usually does with minorities, post any crimes theyve commited as there top news program and have any good thing whites do, put in a positive light, thats why i stopped looking at the local news, its to dam biased.

astuarlen
Jul 6, 2004, 11:13 PM
I agree with InfinityXXX and Ness. It is so much simpler to believe that the world--or at least, the world inhabit--is free of racism and prejudice, and that anyone, regardless of race/gender/sexuality/religion can make it. But prejudice is an insidious thing; it creeps in unnoticed in so many areas of our lives from employment to housing opportunities. Everyone needs a positive role-model who is sufficiently like themself with which to identify. We need to celebrate the accomplishments of people of every race, socio-economic background, etc. But in these times, we ought to make the achievements of minorities especially well-known. Afterall, we all already know that middle- and upper-class white people can "make it". There's absolutely no reason we cannot show everyone they can be successful and happy, too. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

lain2k3
Jul 6, 2004, 11:23 PM
It doesnt matter to me one way or another, because I dont pay attention to the news. =P

Sure, Its good to get positive black role models out there, but too many, and this is where the problem of WIGGERS comes in. =P White people who dont realize that they arent snoop dog or dave chapelle or whatever. Justin itmberlake is not michael jackson, no matter how hard he tries. It doesnt work like that.

We need there to be more equally distributed headlines like this. They have shifted to almost all of these headlining african americans, they should try and keep it even, to avoid problems like the above mentioned persona.

rawr >_>

Uncle_bob
Jul 7, 2004, 12:25 AM
Not to say that blacks or any other "minority" SHOULDN'T be credited if they make a great accomplishment.

And ugh, Uncle wants to clear up this white-folk-can-do-anything stereotype. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Yes, it's true that white people tend to have a higher success rate in this country since %75 (Or is it 65%? Meh) of the country is white. But that doesn't mean any white person can just go pursue any career they want to and be successful every time. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

People are PEOPLE, urgnh. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

P.S.- Tell AIM to work, it's being lame.

Dangerous55
Jul 7, 2004, 01:25 AM
Don't you think it is kinda demeaning to put a black guy on display because he did something good?

Oh yeah, also, I think people forget what the word minority means.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dangerous55 on 2004-07-06 23:26 ]</font>

Guile
Jul 7, 2004, 02:52 AM
Yeah I never saw a reason to point out the race of a person that invented such and such. It's like, "Roger Smith invented the couch...and he was a black man!!" Who cares what the hell race he was, like that is a handicap to inventing something.

Ness
Jul 7, 2004, 07:03 AM
On 2004-07-06 22:25, Uncle_bob wrote:
Not to say that blacks or any other "minority" SHOULDN'T be credited if they make a great accomplishment.

And ugh, Uncle wants to clear up this white-folk-can-do-anything stereotype. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Yes, it's true that white people tend to have a higher success rate in this country since %75 (Or is it 65%? Meh) of the country is white. But that doesn't mean any white person can just go pursue any career they want to and be successful every time. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

True, but you were never opressed or held back bacause of your skin color.

Sure, Its good to get positive black role models out there, but too many, and this is where the problem of WIGGERS comes in. =P White people who dont realize that they arent snoop dog or dave chapelle or whatever.

Dave chapelle and Snoop Dog are not exactly what I would call positive role models.

anwserman
Jul 7, 2004, 09:20 AM
Yeah. Want to know what the prime definition of racism is? The whole concept of blood types and blood transfusions was conceived by a black guy in the 1800's.

Well, guess what. He got into an accident, and needed a transfusion. And the nearest hospital that did such a transfusion refused to accept him since he was black and he died.

Gratitude for ya. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Anyway: People suck, and do realize that the news media jumps on anything... person does this and this and Paris Hilton loses a ring. Everything sensational or that brings in ratings is OK to air. Even if it isn't news.

Scejntjynahl
Jul 7, 2004, 09:50 AM
On 2004-07-07 07:20, anwserman wrote:
Yeah. Want to know what the prime definition of racism is? The whole concept of blood types and blood transfusions was conceived by a black guy in the 1800's.

Well, guess what. He got into an accident, and needed a transfusion. And the nearest hospital that did such a transfusion refused to accept him since he was black and he died.

Gratitude for ya. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Anyway: People suck, and do realize that the news media jumps on anything... person does this and this and Paris Hilton loses a ring. Everything sensational or that brings in ratings is OK to air. Even if it isn't news.

So very true. To me the media is the fourth branch of Government in the USA. They can either make you or brake you. And they proclaim the idealism of "fair" reporting, but their reporting is very biased. With their plastic surgery smile, paste on make up, fake hair style, and cookie cut appearance they consider themselves the seekers of truth. Do they really care who they do or dont hurt, doubtfull. And as you said, its about the ratings.

On topic: If we make a difference between any two things, there will be a difference to see. But what of regular Joe/Jane, you know, the "unnoticed" one...(the single working mother, the single father, the granparent that has lost eveyone, the orphans, etc etc) whether purple, green or whatever we never hear of them. And each life has tale to tell. So if the world is ok by sparodic paper clippings of any "minority" that makes it into the spotlight... then so be it, and be content with it.

astuarlen
Jul 7, 2004, 11:08 AM
On topic: If we make a difference between any two things, there will be a difference to see. But what of regular Joe/Jane, you know, the "unnoticed" one...(the single working mother, the single father, the granparent that has lost eveyone, the orphans, etc etc) whether purple, green or whatever we never hear of them. And each life has tale to tell. So if the world is ok by sparodic paper clippings of any "minority" that makes it into the spotlight... then so be it, and be content with it.
I'm not sure that I quite understand what you're trying to say, but here's what I'm getting: if we point out that people of different races, ethnicities, gender, etc are different, then we are just encouraging people to see them as somehow unequal.
I have seen this argument before; in fact, I have been a part of it myself. But to deny that prejudice exists--to say, "if I ignore it, the problem will go away"--doesn't work out, because we do not live in the ideal society in which things truly are equal for everyone. Blacks, whites, latinos, asians, native americans--they are all equal in terms of intelligence, ability, needs, feelings, whatever. But so far we are not equal in terms of experiences, opportunities, and circumstances. It was not long ago that America was a segregated country in which law actively restricted the rights of African Americans (regretably, I am not as familiar with the experience of other minorities, so I won't make any statements which may be inaccurate). And, although there are no longer such blatant acts of sanctioned racism to my knowledge, prejudice and inequality is a present-day fact.

I do not think that the issue of discrimination and disparity of opportunity should not be addressed in all areas. But the race issue is a glaring problem, and we have to start somewhere.

Yeah I never saw a reason to point out the race of a person that invented such and such. It's like, "Roger Smith invented the couch...and he was a black man!!" Who cares what the hell race he was, like that is a handicap to inventing something.
When I see this type of thing, it seems to me like just further proof that not too long ago, things were grossly unequal, and things still are to an extent. In fact, I don't think that we need to say, "Hey, guys, guess what? So-and-so did this even though he's black!" every time a non-caucasian does something worth mentioning. I mean, if it's on TV, we could just show a picture of so-and-so; I'm sure the audience can figure that one out. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Dave chapelle and Snoop Dog are not exactly what I would call positive role models.
Heh, not that there's anything terrible about these two, but I have to agree with Ness. It's too bad these are virtually the only kinds of images of successful African Americans being pushed by the media.

And ugh, Uncle wants to clear up this white-folk-can-do-anything stereotype.
No, we can't, but at least we aren't subjected to discrimination based on skin-color. And caucasians are generally more successful than other groups in this country, but it should not be that way!

Scejntjynahl
Jul 7, 2004, 11:24 AM
Astuarlen you are quite insigthfull. Yes in part you are correct to what I intended in to say in that paragraph. I just hope you know that I do agree that "racism" exists, and unfortunately will always exist. Even began with the caste system of old days. If you were born into a shoemakers house, that is what you would become a shoemaker... Now the "racism" has evolved into ethnicity, creed, gender and such, much more specific.

All I meant to simply say is that if you look for faults, you will find them. After all you were looking for them... what else did one expect to find. I applaud the rare opportunity that when a "minority" surpasses the paradigm of a society. All I was hoping for, is more of it... there are so many more ppl that have done many wondrous things.. to simply label it in such a fashion "A BLACK, HISPANIC, ANGLO, CATHOLIC, etc" belittles it in a way.

What happened to that indiduals name? What? Was it lost for the sake of sensationalism that journalism is so fond off? Couldnt it have been "Mr./Mrs/Ms So and So accomplished this and that" And then simply provide a picture of the indidual? Celebrate the triumphs of people, not just "minority/majority etc".

shifter
Jul 7, 2004, 01:44 PM
On 2004-07-06 21:13, astuarlen wrote:
I agree with InfinityXXX and Ness. It is so much simpler to believe that the world--or at least, the world inhabit--is free of racism and prejudice, and that anyone, regardless of race/gender/sexuality/religion can make it. But prejudice is an insidious thing; it creeps in unnoticed in so many areas of our lives from employment to housing opportunities. Everyone needs a positive role-model who is sufficiently like themself with which to identify. We need to celebrate the accomplishments of people of every race, socio-economic background, etc. But in these times, we ought to make the achievements of minorities especially well-known. Afterall, we all already know that middle- and upper-class white people can "make it". There's absolutely no reason we cannot show everyone they can be successful and happy, too. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

well said.

InfinityXXX
Jul 7, 2004, 02:02 PM
The reason why the media says that so and so was the first something to do this is to show other people that this race can do that to. It gives inspiration and it makes the race of that person who did the new thing happy.

You got to look at it like this, in anime, when they show a black person, the black person has huge lips, barely can talk, and they eat chicken.(ex. Killa from Dragon Ball Z and The black people that appear in Megaman Batle Network 2) I hate it when they make black people like that but in a way you can't blame the japanese for making these stereotypes. They basically get these stereotypes from the image america use to give of African Americans. Now, since America is trying to have the image of "liberty for all and we are created equally" their using every oppurtunity to promote that race to destroy that race's stereotypes and to make America look good. The only way the media will stop doing this is when racism is gone and that all races are fully equal and i doubt that that will happen.

Scrub
Jul 7, 2004, 05:39 PM
On 2004-07-06 21:23, lain2k3 wrote:
It doesnt matter to me one way or another, because I dont pay attention to the news. =P

Sure, Its good to get positive black role models out there, but too many, and this is where the problem of WIGGERS comes in. =P White people who dont realize that they arent snoop dog or dave chapelle or whatever. Justin itmberlake is not michael jackson, no matter how hard he tries. It doesnt work like that.

We need there to be more equally distributed headlines like this. They have shifted to almost all of these headlining african americans, they should try and keep it even, to avoid problems like the above mentioned persona.

rawr >_>

-_- I hate the whole thing about White people not being allowed to 'act black'. What the hell is acting black? Are you trying to say that since somebody is trying to listen to certain music or acts a certain way that they are not doing what they're race is supposed to do, and therefore must go about their White People ways? I hate the concept of Wiggerdom, just as racist as the word it copies.

Uncle_bob
Jul 7, 2004, 06:18 PM
On 2004-07-07 05:03, Ness wrote:

Neither were you. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif This isn't the 60's anymore.

lain2k3
Jul 7, 2004, 07:24 PM
On 2004-07-07 15:39, Scrub wrote:

rawr >_>

-_- I hate the whole thing about White people not being allowed to 'act black'. What the hell is acting black? Are you trying to say that since somebody is trying to listen to certain music or acts a certain way that they are not doing what they're race is supposed to do, and therefore must go about their White People ways? I hate the concept of Wiggerdom, just as racist as the word it copies.

The minute you see a word like 'wigger' dont take it seriously. -_-;; sorry if that was taken seriously, it was not meant to be.

And infinityXX, Using Dbz as an example doesnt make your point. Everyone in that show looks stupid and eats chicken http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

And did you notice how Mr. Satan portrays the "white devil'? Id say thats a better argument than an African-Japanese person having big lips. Its just a typical feature of Africans, not anything demeaning about it.

InfinityXXX
Jul 7, 2004, 07:36 PM

rawr >_>

I agree with you on that. I always get called white boy because i'm always studying and I don't listen to rap 24/7. People that use terms like wigger are dumb. There is no way you can act black. Though blacks, whites and latinos act different, if a white boy is acting "black" that doesn't mean that he's a "wigger". A white person can be acting "black" due to where he was raised. You do have some white people that are raised in nice neigborhoods but imitate african american stereotypes ex. speaking ebonics.

That is what pisses me off when you got some kid from this nice neighborhood trying to act like he came from a ghetto and speaking ebonics as a joke.

lain2k3
Jul 7, 2004, 07:39 PM
On 2004-07-07 17:36, InfinityXXX wrote:

That is what pisses me off when you got some kid from this nice neighborhood trying to act like he came from a ghetto and speaking ebonics as a joke.

This is what I was referring to, not people who actually were raised in mostly minority neighborhoods.

Read my above post for further clarification. Not meant to be taken seriously, but if you wan tto derive a point from it that ^ would be it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: lain2k3 on 2004-07-07 17:40 ]</font>

Scrub
Jul 7, 2004, 07:41 PM
On 2004-07-07 17:24, lain2k3 wrote:

rawr >_>

The minute you see a word like 'wigger' dont take it seriously. -_-;; sorry if that was taken seriously, it was not meant to be.

And infinityXX, Using Dbz as an example doesnt make your point. Everyone in that show looks stupid and eats chicken http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

And did you notice how Mr. Satan portrays the "white devil'? Id say thats a better argument than an African-Japanese person having big lips. Its just a typical feature of Africans, not anything demeaning about it.

Sorry for all the unnecessary stuff, but I'm too lazy to chop it up. But, On topic -

All is forgiven.

Bradicus
Jul 7, 2004, 07:42 PM
kid from this nice neighborhood trying to act like he came from a ghetto and speaking ebonics

Welcome to my town.
Please excuse the whoops of "G-UNIT 4 EVARZ" and mind the gaudy gold chains that are strewn over the floor.

as a joke.
That's the funny part. It's only a joke to everyone else.

InfinityXXX
Jul 7, 2004, 08:02 PM
On 2004-07-07 16:18, Uncle_bob wrote:

Neither were you. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif This isn't the 60's anymore.

Comments like these, saying "your not oppressed any more" kinda makes me mad. You are right that Ness has never experienced certain things in the 60s but I'm only 16 and i've experienced a lot of racist stuff that happened to me and I'm assuming Ness has to. My freinds, that are white, are able to find more jobs than me and my freinds, who never do anything in class and write a paper are able to pass the class for some reason. My white freinds have it easy in school and in life but I can not make not one slip up or its over.

Racism is everywhere and you have some black people or latino or etc that are surrounded with it so much that they become opressed again. In resteraunts i get frowned up on when i enter them and i get stared at alot. Little things liike this will make you go crazy and WILL make you feel opressed. I remember when i was little I use to hate my self because everywhere i went i was given dirty looks and i remember one time at Ryans some white lady said i couldn't sit in this section. Ness may not have been though most of the stuff in the 60s but hes been through some.

lain2k3
Jul 7, 2004, 08:05 PM
Umkel is 15 and is phillipino, with insanely dark skin. i'm sure he has had ample opportunity for experiencing racism.

And I think this tuff was more directed at Racist laws and policies, not on an individual basis

InfinityXXX
Jul 7, 2004, 08:16 PM
On 2004-07-07 17:41, Scrub wrote:

On 2004-07-07 17:24, lain2k3 wrote:

[quote]

rawr >_>

I don't care about the big lips but when you have them acting stupid and wanting chicken. (If you've never played Megaman battle Network 2 then you won't know what I mean about the chicken) I mean look at Killa. Not all anime is like this ex.Cowboy Bebop, but I have a question. How is Mr.Satan stereotyped a white devil. I've heard about this but I've never understood?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: InfinityXXX on 2004-07-07 18:18 ]</font>

lain2k3
Jul 7, 2004, 08:18 PM
Mr. Satan is blatantly white. he is unshaven and Has an afro, both of which are rather unjapanese customs. And Satan is another word meaning the devil.

Satan is blatantly white = white devil.

InfinityXXX
Jul 7, 2004, 08:25 PM
On 2004-07-07 18:05, lain2k3 wrote:
Umkel is 15 and is phillipino, with insanely dark skin. i'm sure he has had ample opportunity for experiencing racism.

And I think this tuff was more directed at Racist laws and policies, not on an individual basis

I used myself as an example to support my argument.

lain2k3
Jul 7, 2004, 08:55 PM
On 2004-07-07 18:25, InfinityXXX wrote:

On 2004-07-07 18:05, lain2k3 wrote:

I used myself as an example to support my argument.

I realized that, and was using Uncle bobSef as a counterexample. It's not like that everywhere, Rasists are a vast and still diminishing minority.

EDIT: I realized I mixed Up Uncle and Sef, but the point still stands. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif Sorry Umkel.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: lain2k3 on 2004-07-07 19:15 ]</font>

KaFKa
Jul 7, 2004, 10:53 PM
*busts out the soapbox*

im tired of the counter argument of "[minority] is still suffering from racism"

my skin is white. and i've probably suffered more racism than most of you. hell, i've been shot at more than once just because i was white. at least where i live, whites are the minority. people need to realize that jsut because you're [skin color] doesent mean jack shit. you're still going to suffer wether you're black, white, asian, what have you.

on black people using slavery as a arguing point:
get off it, your ancestors (AKA africans) sold other africans into slavery, accounting for (not exact numbers here) 75% of the slaves taken to the colonies. so for the most part, its your own fault for being slaves.

on those "krnpride/aznpride/vivamexico/etc" people:
if you're so damn proud of your country, go back there.

lain2k3
Jul 7, 2004, 11:00 PM
Only problem with yours, Kafka, is It doesnt cover native americans. They are still held in poverty and ghettos today. We sold them into slavery. This is their country.

outside of that, i guess I agree.

KaFKa
Jul 7, 2004, 11:05 PM
On 2004-07-07 21:00, lain2k3 wrote:
Only problem with yours, Kafka, is It doesnt cover native americans. They are still held in poverty and ghettos today. We sold them into slavery. This is their country.

honestly, i try to stay away from that, since what they did to the native americans was just fucked up, plain and simple.

lain2k3
Jul 7, 2004, 11:27 PM
Yeah, once again, I agree with teh Kafka. European treatment of Native Americans is probably the worst mistreatment of humans in history. WWII is really the only competition. =/

Kadavreski
Jul 8, 2004, 12:24 AM
couldnt have said it better myself kodia,

really, the news don't have much to say these days eh?

InfinityXXX
Jul 8, 2004, 01:03 AM
On 2004-07-07 20:53, KaFKa wrote:
*busts out the soapbox*

im tired of the counter argument of "[minority] is still suffering from racism"

my skin is white. and i've probably suffered more racism than most of you. hell, i've been shot at more than once just because i was white. at least where i live, whites are the minority. people need to realize that jsut because you're [skin color] doesent mean jack shit. you're still going to suffer wether you're black, white, asian, what have you.

on black people using slavery as a arguing point:
get off it, your ancestors (AKA africans) sold other africans into slavery, accounting for (not exact numbers here) 75% of the slaves taken to the colonies. so for the most part, its your own fault for being slaves.

on those "krnpride/aznpride/vivamexico/etc" people:
if you're so damn proud of your country, go back there.

I'll tackle this one by one. First off, pity if you got shot cause you are white I get rocks thrown at me, spat at, stared at, etc. Listen, white people are the majority race over here, they own more things and thus they have the power. You got a lot of racist white people out there and since theres more of them you can say that minorties do suffer the most from racism. There is also some minortities that are racist too but we are not a majority. Don't you dare assume that just because you got shot at you experienced more racism than me and others. That is an insult. My uncle was killed cuz he went with a white woman, my great grandmom, Mae Bertha Carter sent my granparents to an all white school after the Brown vs Board of eduaction decision and they went through hell there. Don't believe me look her name up. I know a lot of minorities and every minority i met in my life has suffered from some racist remark, attack, and unfairness. Even though you probably get racist taunts in your neighborhood you will never fully understand that blacks, latinos and asians have it hard in this country and are treated unfair in most cases. The reason? Because you are white and your race is the majority race that owns everything.

Now i'm not that mad at you for saying the stuff you did in your first two paragraphs but your last paragraph is the straw that broke the camels back. What you said in the paragraph WAS a racist remark.(and yet you complain about you suffering from racism) You are corect about slavery happening a long time ago but the people that experienced slavery told there kids about the horrors of it and those kids told their kids of it and the kids kids told thir kids of its horrors and etc. It goes down to generation to genreation and it scars each generation. Slavery was a pernament scar on AFAM's, it could've faded but due to all the racist shit we have to take it festers. I guess you don't really know what happened during racism and during the slave trade due to that ignorant comment you made. To even get some idea on how it went buy the movie Roots and Armastad.

About the african kings selling us into slavery you are part correct. We were sold to England but then America came and started kidnapping and stealing slaves not only America but spain did it to and England started doing it on the down low. Get your research together before you make comments like that. If you freakin statistics you'll find that 87% of Africans brought to america were stolen but since we were split up once we got into the slavery we really don't know if we were stolen or sold. This is also the main reason why you have "the angry black man syndrom" due to the fact that we were stolen, split up, and thrown into seas on the slave boats, we basically don't know anything about our history. Our history was hidden from us. What tribe did i come from? I don't know. Who was my greatgreat grandmom? I don't freaking know.

About asian pride and brown bride and black pride and how you think we should got to our country. Give me the damn money and I'll go. I can't really speak for latinos or asians on this but i always wondered this in my head when i use to here the KKK say go to our country. I use to think, "How the hell are you gonna tell me to go to my country when yall brought us over here." Also about saying that Native Americans were treated the most unfair, unless your every freaking race to experience every event in history that happene to that race you don't know which race had it bad. We can only form opinions and opinions are wrong when it comes to racism.

I'm sorry to the white people that are nice to other races and don't think in the mentality that i just described. I'm also sorry to Uncle for not staying on his topic but dammit when you start saying the things Kafka wrote that hurts in a way and i can't let it go cause i'm tired of lettin it go. You can say whatever you want in response to this post but until you read or watched roots and armastad and reasearched slavery then your words are useless to me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: InfinityXXX on 2004-07-07 23:10 ]</font>

shifter
Jul 8, 2004, 01:12 AM

no its not. its the 00's and this kind of crap still happens. it may not be as blatent, out in the open, or as prevelent but its still there. they may not where the white getup, but some people still hate/fear colored people. ive had many a white people all of a sudden move there purse's cause im moving past them. and ive been trying to get my summer job at the zoo back for the past two years, only to be past up by two white people who hadnt worked there before, so dont try and tell its not there.

and Kafka, that might happen in Vegas, but in most of the US, it works the other way around.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: shifter on 2004-07-08 11:38 ]</font>

Kadavreski
Jul 8, 2004, 01:41 AM
no its the 00's

or whatever. but i dont think its 90's

it you get discriminated because you are dark skinned, i feel very sorry for you.

opaopajr
Jul 8, 2004, 04:05 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif i sense youth about! you guys will figure it out sooner or later, but might as well give you a heads up. i suggest an anthropological or sociological class in college later, too.

racism requires a group in a position controlling the access to power. whites have the majority of power in USA, fact. in the USA only whites can be called on racism here; they have overwhelming access to halls of power denied to others and can use it at any time. those who do not have the reins of power can be just as hateful and bigoted as the racist, but they are impotent to do anything about it. this is key. so therefore they fall under the category prejudiced. they haven't the immunity or favors as the racist has access to.

now then it gets really complicated, the conflated issue of class. there's a lot of whites who are poor in america and don't have as great an access to power as other whites. they may feel they are in just the same boat as other impoverished minorities. but systemically they are treated better than minorities in their same class. often they don't realize this because association isn't always that common (due to other fascinating historical and social factors). so through class warfare people can feel a sense of equality with other groups, when in reality their experiences are wholly different.

in fact, one only has to look at law statistics, bank loan records, and business behaviors (wages, dumping, etc) to find the truth. sure, we can have anecdotal shouting matches all day, (who was shot, who was stared at), but there is definitive proof out there about systemic inequities. the institutions of power, the very means of opportunity, are set up against certain groups than others. one of those "-isms" that holds people back is racism. and in this country those who are in the favored position are white. this is indisputable. when i move to japan i will face racism, i already know this. the system is set up to favor japanese there. yet globally i know that white western civilization holds the reins of power, so the advantage once again travels to my court if i participate on the world stage. so you can see there are many intriguing levels to society.

don't get lost in your emotional rhetoric, there really is a truth out there. there is data compiled meticulously for you to understand the world you live in. actively seek it, it will help you prepare. and give yourself time to grow into the answers; there's a reason why information like this is held off from you until you are ready, such as college.

Aredhel
Jul 8, 2004, 10:29 AM
Uhh, what's a Nubian?

*BANG!*

Ness
Jul 8, 2004, 10:36 PM

You missed my point. My point is that there was a time when black people were not allowed to accomplish things. People mention the first black person or the first woman to do something because it provides encouragement. During the 60's the spirits of blacks and women were low so positive new about blacks and women encouraged other blacks and women to try an succeed.

As for you comment, that's bullshit. It is true that I am legally equal to a white person, but not socially equal. In court, blacks are still punished more harsly than white for the same crimes and balcks are still found guilty more often for the same crimes. While that doesn't always have to do with racism, in many caes it does. Also, there are still racists out there.

DarthFomar
Jul 9, 2004, 01:23 AM
On 2004-07-06 18:02, opaopajr wrote:
you know, this is a wonderful post. it shows that with this new generation we have gone so far in our progress that they are honestly baffled by this exercise. that gives me hope.

Ah, I am all for the "hope" of our future generations.....but *not to be rude or anything, this is just the way I've looked upon the subject*, I'm not gonna jump on the band-wagon and say everything is howdy doody, because to me it doesn't seem that way. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

From all that I've been witness to, people today are more immature/hateful/negative than naturally possible. Hopefully though, this is only a phase that will pass through the years. And hopefully is so god awfully true. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarthFomar on 2004-07-08 23:23 ]</font>

Shattered_weasel
Jul 9, 2004, 02:19 PM
On 2004-07-08 20:36, Ness wrote:

You missed my point. My point is that there was a time when black people were not allowed to accomplish things. People mention the first black person or the first woman to do something because it provides encouragement. During the 60's the spirits of blacks and women were low so positive new about blacks and women encouraged other blacks and women to try an succeed.

As for you comment, that's bullshit. It is true that I am legally equal to a white person, but not socially equal. In court, blacks are still punished more harsly than white for the same crimes and balcks are still found guilty more often for the same crimes. While that doesn't always have to do with racism, in many caes it does. Also, there are still racists out there.

This is all true. It is also dependent on where you live. I live in Puerto Rico where majority of the country is not white. We had something happen to us when we moved here where the PR moving company held our stuff for hostage untill they got some money. Then when we got the stuff back most tof the stuff that was of value was stolen. We wern't going to go to court with them because we knew that we would not win, because we are white.

It all depends on where you live.