PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone give me fitness tips?

_xX_Frosty_Xx_
Jun 8, 2002, 01:42 AM
Well, not too long ago I signed up for the Wellness Center, a gym down the street from where I live, and I was wondering if anyone on the board could give me some workout tips? Like for definition and such? I'd really appreciate it if anyone shared workout plans or anything that could help me. Thanks http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

LostHero
Jun 8, 2002, 02:02 AM
Its good to work in a continued routine you follow whenever. Also make sure you work your muscles in a pattern such as shoulders down, I forget what the correct thang is if you go for a full body workout >_<. Fuck the gym and workout by swimming or some other sport, its funner than sitting in a sweaty room with a bunch of people with complexes http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Kent
Jun 8, 2002, 02:21 AM
Don't slouch, and keep your brain in shape.

Balthor
Jun 8, 2002, 02:51 AM
dont ruin your regualr meal plan just cause your starting a new fitness plan(although it does help when you plan it out)mainly cause people get food disorders from thinking"ok excercise....but dont eat"no no no doesnt work that way http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif also,dont over do it at the gym,dont strain your self,and so forth,hope ya have fun http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Psylocke
Jun 8, 2002, 05:59 AM
Get in a nice mix of the cardio machines and the weight machines. I recently joined a gym with a friend of mine and our regular routine starts off with the treadmill, then the bikes, then the ellipticals (or cross trainers). Then we head for the weight machines. A good idea (if you do it like that) is to start off with the machines that work your upper body (chest, shoulders, arms) before moving on to the weight machines that work your lower body, since you've been working that part of your body already.
It's always important to stretch before you start doing anything! Nobody wants to be pulling any muscles or hurting themselves, ya know?! *grin*
If your gym offers classes I suggest taking a Pilates class. It really works your whole body, especially your abs, butt, thighs, and arms. I guarantee you will be sore after one session! But it's worth it!
Anyways, good luck! And have fun!

Daikarin
Jun 8, 2002, 06:28 AM
1 - Maybe you should go jogging around your neighbourhood 2-3 times a week.

2 - It is very important to have a big breakfast, altough most people know this, they don't respect this as they should. You should eat more in the morning and less in the night.

3 - Push-ups. LOTS OF PUSH UPS!

4 - Stretch all your body as you can. (arms, legs, back, neck and chest)

5 - Sweets should decrease in your meals (Of course you knew that http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif)

6 - How about if you could practise some kind of martial art? Or some sport like Tennis, swimming, Skating, soccer? It is stress relieving and body building.

7 - When doing something, always do the most dificult part. (For instance: If you need to tie your snickers, never put you foot in someplace high to tie it. Stretch all you body to the floor. This is just one example...)

8 - You should go to bed early. And wake up early as well. If you have time, do some exercise in the morning

9 - Do a self-diagnose regurarly, you can never be too careful and too much exercise can injure you as well.

10 - Last but not least, remember, there IS NO LIMIT!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ultimate on 2002-06-08 04:31 ]</font>

Jason
Jun 8, 2002, 07:04 AM
Or...

BUY A BOWFLEX!!!!!! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif
This thing can make you muscular in 6 weeks. Using it 3 days each week till 6 weeks and your done. Quit the center shit.

ABDUR101
Jun 8, 2002, 07:10 AM
Everyone pretty much gave great tips already. I'd follow with what they said.

Me, being the light weighted high metabolism guy that I am, just need to work on the definition of the muscle I do have. 100 sit-ups each night, and since I like using my arms, as much climbing as I can get in. It's nice to have younger family members around too, get them in on the fun.

Climbing a vine that goes to the top of a 50ft tree afew times helps, expecially when you're just using your arms.

...although I was sore as hell two days later, but hey, no pain, no gain.

Take care man, and good luck.

IceBlink
Jun 8, 2002, 09:59 AM
Swimming is good. It exercises the whole body. I can't believe nobody thought of it. ^_^;

'Course, helps if you either have a swimming pool somewhere near or can swim...

TeamPhalanx
Jun 8, 2002, 10:30 AM
If you're looking for definition, you want a workout with high reps and sets using slow controlled motions. In addition, you should include some kind of cardio activity 3 to 4 times a week. And, of course, you have to eat right.

If your just starting out, I'd go with around 3 sets of 10 reps each. Instead of using free weights, go with the machines, since they have the correct motions. Try using different machines, as using the same one over and over gets real dull. Do (very) slow movements and remember to breath. Don't stack the weights, instead set the weights at what you feel is comfortable, but not easy.

Cardio wise, the best machine you can use are the ones that simulate cross-country skiing; they're easy on your joint and work the entire body. I don't recommend running unless you can go on a track or a grass field. Running is good, but only if you're already in somewhat good shape and know what you're doing. As others have mentioned, swimming is great; I'd rate it 2nd behind the skiing machines.

Know what you're doing. Don't spend like 30 mins working on your abs, cause that's not giong to do much. 5 mins should be the max you focus on the abs. Remember to stretch before and after your workout, and it wouldn't hurt to do it in-between while you switch machines. Don't forget to warm-up and cool-down.

ragnar
Jun 8, 2002, 04:53 PM
depends what ur doing. i train to build muscle and as such i only train 3 times a week and only work each body part once a week. i also do fuck all cardio since i need to gain weight and have naturally low body fat. i also eat 5 to 6 smaller meals a day to help pack on the extra weight.

also keep ur training under a hour since anymore and u body produces a chem that causes muscle wastage.

also for more muscle use free weights ( hits more areas) and keep the reps low 8-10 max.

anyhow here a gud site http://www.skinnyguy.net spec if ur trying to put on some weight.

Dangerous55
Jun 8, 2002, 08:22 PM
All I do for exercise is walk in the woods for hours with friends shooting. Carry around 30 pounds of ammo and rifles though. I am perfectly healthy, I think....

WourmGirl
Jun 9, 2002, 01:23 AM
If you are doing it to tone your body.. then i have no advice.. but if you are doing it to lose a bit of weight.... don't run over an old Gypsy woman... cuz then her husband will put a gypsy curse on you.. *gasp* and he won't lift the curse until you are 55lbs or smaller!! *eek! heh.. sorry... i was watching Thinner the other day... can't you tell??

RuneLateralus
Jun 9, 2002, 02:57 AM
Uhh...exercise, that is what I need to do. I haven't done a thing since my senior year of wrestling...

I do not care about my weight really, maybe just my stomach. Plus, I need to work on muscle tone again.

Daikarin
Jun 9, 2002, 07:36 AM
...or you can try "Mega shake". http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

labratpat
Jun 10, 2002, 06:32 AM
I tried lifting weights in between commercials and actual television time. It kinda works, but I prefer my trampoline and my Soaping. The aft helps my arms, because I can't jump really high, so when I find a cool upper rail, I climb up onto it to get a start... don't tell anyone I cheat at Soaping...

TeamPhalanx
Jun 10, 2002, 09:54 AM
Soaping?

Last_Saiyan
Jun 10, 2002, 11:09 AM
So far everyone's had really great ideas Frosty. If you want it bad, it's there. My only tip, that hasn't been brought up yet is, if you want definition like getting really cut, get "Hyrdroxycut" from MuscleTech. You don't have to take my word for it but my built speaks that it works for ordinary people like us. As a professional point, it made a champion out of a person who took it for 2 years. His name's Priest, and he's been through a total change using the product and well...lifting weights. It's true that you still have to work but the Hydroxycuts help get you there quicker and more effectively.

ragnar
Jun 10, 2002, 04:48 PM
hydroxycut i heard is really gud but it only really gud if u losing weight or staying at ur weight cuz im trying put on and so it wud be crap for me. try ribomatrix it fucking wicked combo of taurine, cretaine, gulatime and loads others and is real gud.

_xX_Frosty_Xx_
Jun 10, 2002, 05:53 PM
What exacyly is that? Like a pill? I'm only 15, would I actually be able to take that?

pixelate
Jun 10, 2002, 05:56 PM
Just stay away from supplements.

OMAR
Jun 10, 2002, 06:04 PM
i know a great way to get your forearm in shape...and you might even get other people to join..(hopefully girls) and everyone knows what im talking about........ .....a stress relaxer thingy..man those work great for stress and strength go buy one today:)they have all kinds of sizes...so u can upgrade is yours isnt...lets say up to par:p

Last_Saiyan
Jun 10, 2002, 06:53 PM
Yeah, Mrs. Rose and her five daughters are great fore arm work out partners. If you're 15 then stay away from the supplements, just get really active and things will fall in place. My brother is in wrestling and the kind of regimen they go through got him cut and rocked in one year. He's around 17 too so you can relate to that.

_xX_Frosty_Xx_
Jun 13, 2002, 01:38 AM
Hey,
I just got one of those stress reliever balls. Should I treat it as I would treat other muscles, do it one day, let the tissue heal, and continue? Or does it even do anything lol?

Smokedham12
Jun 13, 2002, 07:03 PM
play some dance dance revolution...that game is the shiot

OMAR
Jun 13, 2002, 07:37 PM
you know whats another way to get in shape...get a richard simons tape..right...then put it in the vcr...after watching about two minutes...run up to the vcr and beat it with a bat!man that guy sucks so much...or you could watch a arnold shortawhatever movie..then close your eyes and think your him...except you can actually speak english....great exercise..sometimes thinking your fit is a good way to get fit....LOL

ragnar
Jun 14, 2002, 05:16 PM
supplement r handy i have myoplex straight after workout since it gets everything ur body needs straight into ur body after training and helps u recover quick,+ if im short for time makes gud meal replacement.

and multi vits are helpful to make sure u get rit vits and minerals.

but they r rit if u can manage without em go for it, but for ease of use they rule.
oh im 16 and have trouble putting on weight but with rit training and eating,( yes i do use supplements i cudnt have put it on without) im now 18 pounds heavier than 7 months ago.

Ian D
Jun 16, 2002, 01:21 AM
The way I got in great shape was soccer... probably all of the laps and running miles involved but I was only working on cardio to not get tired in games and stuff... for muscles listen to whateveryone else said because I'm just naturally buff ;D

RuneLateralus
Jun 16, 2002, 01:40 AM
Becareful of supplements. They sound nice (especially in a world where we want things to occur fast), but they can be hazardous. I had a friend you almost burned out using one, and he used the directed amount (he is not small either, weighed 275 pounds, and it wasn't fat).

ragnar
Jun 17, 2002, 02:24 PM
On 2002-06-15 23:40, RuneLateralus wrote:
Becareful of supplements. They sound nice (especially in a world where we want things to occur fast), but they can be hazardous. I had a friend you almost burned out using one, and he used the directed amount (he is not small either, weighed 275 pounds, and it wasn't fat).

hmm wonder what he used. anyhow MRP powder r safe cuz all dey r is whey protein, maltrodextirn( spelt wrong) which is a typeo of carbs and various vits and minerals.
i use ribomatrix and aside from the creatine ( of which no1 can seem to prove any thing either way but i know alot ppl who have used for yrs and r fine). it is safe

eRUPT
Jun 18, 2002, 12:24 PM
I disagree with the comment of not using free weights, they promote the use of stabalizer muscle threads if you actually know how to lift free weights effectively. I definetly feel a much better muscle shred curling 135 lbs in free weight then curling 150lbs using a machine. Machines to work with should be smith benchs. Rowback machines, Pulldown lat machines.

Here I'll just read you guys my somewhat workout schedule in the order of the exercises occurance.

Biceps/Back day(Sometimes split between two days or at least two sessions)

4 Sets of 20 Military pullups. (Bottom of the back of your neck touches the bar for 2 sets and your chest touches the bar for the other 2).

3-4 sets of 10,8,8 Pullback/Row machine.

3-5 Sets of Free weight Curling.

4 Sets of dumbbell Curls(One arm at a time).

2 Sets of Hammer Curls.

3 Sets of Pull Down/Lat Cable machine.

3-4 Sets of Fixed Pull Down/Lat machine(Very slowly done to rip your wings)

2 Sets of forearm Curls.

If I'm not tired by all this and still feel motivated I will go do some Hammer Strength Pull downs as well.

This session can be split between your back and your curling exercises to be cut into two days or at least two sessions, I usually only split on weeks I want to work out 5-6 days.

Chest/Tri/Traps session.(The biggest part of a good chest routine is rotation of the set style. I use the bigger,faster,stronger set routine which involves a 4 week cycle in which you have a 3x3, 5x5, 10.8.6, 5.4.3.2.1, 3x3 = 3 Sets of 3 Reps, 10.8.6 = 3 Sets first being 10 reps,8 reps,6 reps. You should get the idea for the rest.)

Wide ISO Chest(Most gyms don't have these unless they are very well stocked, I heavily rely on this machine now and do and upward of about 360lbs in 3 sets.) 3-5 sets of 5-8 reps.

Flat Bench(Use the set rotation scheme.)

Triceps(A couple of different ways to run through this and I rotate between most of them: Position dumbbell behind head with arms reaching up till locked straight; Use curl bar and preform French curls which is really just a reverse curl with yourself on your back; Tricep Pull cable pulldowns, One of the most used and one of the better ones, Try to use a bent bar as your arms being twisted in a 45 degree angle helps you more; Hammer strength Free Weight pull down machine (Definetly for just adding pure bulk); And one of the most used for toning, Dips, Find a dip bar and keep at it till you can do 40-50 at a time and you'll understand you have lean muscle).

Incline Bench press(You should be starting off at about half your flat bench). Do 3 sets of 10 reps, If your chest is too sore this is a good choice in the routine to skip as you WILL feel that burn when it hits your chest and stretches your chest muscles.

Flat bench Dumbbell Flies. You should be grabbing the hardest weight you can jerk up and hold if your really want an impact, But do try at least 2 sets under high controlled weight but stretching your arms out as far as possible and raising them slowly to rip that midsection. 3-4 sets of 8.

Machine Flies. I vary between two machines, a fixed bar flie machine and a loose bar. The loose bar gives more leverage to cheat a little which actually if done correctly will help break plateus you are stuck on. 3 sets of 10.

Dumbbell Lateral Lifts. These are probably one of my favorite on the chest day, you should start out around 20lb dumbbells and keep them at your sides raising them slowly away from your body till your arms are straight across your body. The hardest and most incorrectly done part of this exercise is bending your arms so that you cancurl and jerk the weight up, This will give you absolutely nothing and should be avoided all together. If done correctly 15lbs would even seem hard at first trust me I've worked from 15lbs to now doing up to 50lbs.

Dead lift shrugs. Ok there's a general 3 ways to do good shrugs, you can use a dead lift machine lifting the weight just slightly till your arms are bent and keep your knees slightly bent as well, then focus on your upper back/traps area to lift the weight and not yoru biceps, this can also be done with a trap bar or dumbbells that are overweight to lift(To give you an example If I use dumbbells for shrugs I'll use 90-100lb dumbbells).

If your still up to more sets you can get on a smith bench and do a military bench(The smith bench is chosen if you have no spot, if you have a spotter do definetly get on a true military bench.) 3sets of 8-10.

After both of these sessions you should be following with a rigorous abs workout. Some days your more wore out then others which could give some motivation to not do this last part, but at least try to get it in twice a week in your sessions and you should stay lean.

10 sets 50 Crunches(You should work slowly to this point. Start out at about 20 crunches but try to get the same amount of sets with only about 30-40 seconds of rest in between, which is probably the most important part).

I'll give you several types of crunches which should be rotated through.

Flat leg crunches. (Keep your hands on yoru stomach and push slightly down and only raise your body enough to have your head about 1 foot from the ground.)

Bent leg crunches. (Same as above just legs are bent)

Elbow to knee crunches. (Perform sets per body side, sit in bent leg crunch position and over lap on leg onto the other so your knee is dangling out now do a crunch and reach your opposite side elbow to that knee. Alternate to work through both sides)

Forehead to knee crunches. (Much harder version of the exercise above, don't expect to reach your goal reps on these.)

Leg raises. (Very important to your lower abs are leg raises there several ways to do this, the most popular being to use hand rests which are in the form of bags hanging from pull up bars or in some cases located on tricep dip bars in which you must straighten yoru legs and raise them to form a 90 degree angle with your body, You'll burn nicely after your first 10 or so.)

once you get your abs more broken into you can try performing yoru first sets of the ab workout on a declined bench to really increase the intensity.)

Leg workout.(Woah I guess you all thought I was a light bulb by now. Well I am sometimes but I do have a leg workout which I will usually perform on my chest day.)

Use the bigger,faster,stronger rep/set rotation cycle for your squats.

Ughh I' really don't even feel like getting into the leg routine you guys tell me if you want it. I'm already sensing I've written enough spam already.

Have a fun one. And remember to stretch 1 hour before intensely.

-eR!

Last_Saiyan
Jun 18, 2002, 12:32 PM
That's a nice Rigimen you got there. If you want real strength then you have to work your muscles harder, the best way for strength training and body sculpting is wrestling for me. Get's you rocked in no time, plus you have a good life skills in self defense or containing someone until the cops shows up.