PDA

View Full Version : Cursing.

InfernoNR7
Jul 10, 2004, 01:45 PM
What's the freaking deal with cussing? I don't get it, why just say the F word when you stubbed your toe on the chair, or when you got mad at someone because they have a different view than you. Gosh, do you see me cursing AT ALL in any of my posts? Probably not, unless you count crap, freking, and hell as cuss words. I think it's QUITE immature to have to blatantly cuss for no darn reason. I know I'm going to get like 10 people coming into this thread and cursing, I'm actually quite sure of it.

Now, I can understand if you just got a compound fracture in your leg and your bone is sticking out, sure, you can cuss, there's reason. Or maybe if you are right behind a 10 car pile up on the highway. But just cussing because you're mildly mad is quite dumb.

When I see you cussing blatantly for no reason, a couple things happen: I think you're ignorant, my entire impression of you goes down the drain, I see that you are not mature enough to see that cursing is pointless, and I see that you have no moral fiber.

Also, don't tell me to "Grow up" and than cuss, becuase it would kinda show that I'm a bit more mature than you. Don't tell me that "Oh I'm out of my parent's house and living on my own, so I can cuss." Whoop-de-doo, you're out of your parent's house, you live by yourself/married now. Good for you, still no reason to suddenly start cussing.

Well, that's most of my rant, WHICH INCLUDED NO CURSING. What do you guys think of cursing?

Kadavreski
Jul 10, 2004, 01:52 PM
On 2004-07-10 11:45, InfernoNR7 wrote:
What's the freaking deal with cussing? I don't get it, why just say the F word when you stubbed your toe on the chair, or when you got mad at someone because they have a different view than you. Gosh, do you see me cursing AT ALL in any of my posts? Probably not, unless you count crap, freking, and hell as cuss words. I think it's QUITE immature to have to blatantly cuss for no darn reason. I know I'm going to get like 10 people coming into this thread and cursing, I'm actually quite sure of it.

Now, I can understand if you just got a compound fracture in your leg and your bone is sticking out, sure, you can cuss, there's reason. Or maybe if you are right behind a 10 car pile up on the highway. But just cussing because you're mildly mad is quite dumb.

When I see you cussing blatantly for no reason, a couple things happen: I think you're ignorant, my entire impression of you goes down the drain, I see that you are not mature enough to see that cursing is pointless, and I see that you have no moral fiber.

Also, don't tell me to "Grow up" and than cuss, becuase it would kinda show that I'm a bit more mature than you. Don't tell me that "Oh I'm out of my parent's house and living on my own, so I can cuss." Whoop-de-doo, you're out of your parent's house, you live by yourself/married now. Good for you, still no reason to suddenly start cussing.

Well, that's most of my rant, WHICH INCLUDED NO CURSING. What do you guys think of cursing?

i like it.

if there was no cussing, there would be no rap.

end of story.

Uncle_bob
Jul 10, 2004, 01:55 PM
Fuck. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

But seriously, some people just do it for no reason and others have a good reason for it. That's how it is. D:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Uncle_bob on 2004-07-10 11:56 ]</font>

InfernoNR7
Jul 10, 2004, 02:03 PM
On 2004-07-10 11:52, mechgun_mike wrote:

i like it.

if there was no cussing, there would be no rap.

end of story.

I've heard Christian Rap (of course, with no cussing) and edited rap (like some of Eminem's stuff, Outkast, etc.) and they're OK.

I don't like much rap tho.

Myopathy
Jul 10, 2004, 02:05 PM
What the fuck? What kind of fucking post is that, saying all this shit about how I can't cuss whenever the fucking hell I want.

Hehe, just kidding.

I think it's really just based on what kind of people you are around, both when you are younger and now. If you grew up around friends/family that cussed a lot, you're bound to pick up on it as well. For the most part, I don't believe it's really their fault. On the same token, if you were raised to think cussing was taboo and was scolded when you did cuss, you'd probably won't cuss as much, unless it's in an extreme situation. I think it's more of a reflection on how someone was raised and the people they were raised around than whether someone is ignorant or immature. Also, I think everyone, to an extent, has the capability to cuss or not cussed based on who they are talking to. Most people are able to contain their swearing around authoritative figures. Some people can change just based on different friends. I, for example, will openly cuss around some of my closer friends, but I can contain myself around people who I know don't appreciate it, or just aquaintances that I don't know as well. And cussing is not always unnecessary. There are cases where you can use it to emphasize something or to use it as a shock factor. I think, in most cases, it isn't really a matter of ignorance or immaturity, more a matter of choice and preference.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ezellaur on 2004-07-10 12:08 ]</font>

InfernoNR7
Jul 10, 2004, 02:05 PM
On 2004-07-10 11:55, Uncle_bob wrote:
Fuck. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

But seriously, some people just do it for no reason and others have a good reason for it. That's how it is. D:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Uncle_bob on 2004-07-10 11:56 ]</font>

Pointless and crude is all I can say to cursing.

There's really never any reason for cussing, just a loss of self-control.

InfinityXXX
Jul 10, 2004, 02:06 PM
Hmmm. I don't care about people cussin. I see it in rap videos, on tv, in my house, in my granparents house, my freinds cuss all the time, and i here it in public. I can't find my self just cussing for the fun of it. You'll have to make me mad. When i cuss, which is rare, i only use damn, i just don't have the heart to say any other cuss word. Do you think skank, whore, piss, and slut are cuss words?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: InfinityXXX on 2004-07-10 12:10 ]</font>

Myopathy
Jul 10, 2004, 02:08 PM
On 2004-07-10 12:05, InfernoNR7 wrote:

On 2004-07-10 11:55, Uncle_bob wrote:

Pointless and crude is all I can say to cursing.

There's really never any reason for cussing, just a loss of self-control.

Read my post.

InfernoNR7
Jul 10, 2004, 02:11 PM
On 2004-07-10 12:05, Ezellaur wrote:
What the fuck? What kind of fucking post is that, saying all this shit about how I can't cuss whenever the fucking hell I want.

Hehe, just kidding.

I think it's really just based on what kind of people you are around, both when you are younger and now. If you grew up around friends/family that cussed a lot, you're bound to pick up on it as well. For the most part, I don't believe it's really their fault. On the same token, if you were raised to think cussing was taboo and was scolded when you did cuss, you'd probably won't cuss as much, unless it's in an extreme situation. I think it's more of a reflection on how someone was raised and the people they were raised around than whether someone is ignorant or immature. Also, I think everyone, to an extent, has the capability to cuss or not cussed based on who they are talking to. Most people are able to contain their swearing around authoritative figures. Some people can change just based on different friends. I, for example, will openly cuss around some of my closer friends, but I can contain myself around people who I know don't appreciate it, or just aquaintances that I don't know as well. And cussing is not always unnecessary. There are cases where you can use it to emphasize something or to use it as a shock factor. I think, in most cases, it isn't really a matter of ignorance or immaturity, more a matter of choice and preference.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ezellaur on 2004-07-10 12:08 ]</font>

For the past 4 years, I couldn't walk a step without hearing a curse word while at school.
Now that I've moved to NV, every 5 inches I hear someone at school say the F word. I could do the math to tell you how many times I hear it a day, but is a ton. Simply a lack of self-control.

Myopathy
Jul 10, 2004, 02:17 PM
On 2004-07-10 12:11, InfernoNR7 wrote:

On 2004-07-10 12:05, Ezellaur wrote:

Hehe, just kidding.

For the past 4 years, I couldn't walk a step without hearing a curse word while at school.
Now that I've moved to NV, every 5 inches I hear someone at school say the F word. I could do the math to tell you how many times I hear it a day, but is a ton. Simply a lack of self-control.

Ok so like I said, they were raised in that environment probably. For a lot of them, it has nothing to do with self-control. Can you control yourself from speaking English? You were raised to speak English, so is it reasonable for me to say you don't have self-control since you can't stop speaking English? Same for people who speak with a regional accent. Are you going to say they lack self-control? For some of your peers, it is just them choosing to do it. But for others, they were just raised and are in that environment which breeds that kind of language. If they've been speaking like that since a young age, it's kind of been etched into them.

InfinityXXX
Jul 10, 2004, 02:27 PM
My latino freinds mom cusses 24/7, even when she sneezes. His mom lets him cuss all the time when there together. She doesn't even care if i cuss. My latino freind was raised thinking cussing was just like speaking english. Hes so use to cussing at home that he cuss where ever he goes. Its not self control its where you are and who your raised with. Everyone in my family, except my mom, cusses wherever they are all the time. All of my cousins cuss all the time except for me. I was never scolded for cussing but since i rarely heard my mom cuss i rarely cuss too. Surroundings and who you are raised with play important parts in cussig.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: InfinityXXX on 2004-07-10 12:29 ]</font>

InfernoNR7
Jul 10, 2004, 02:29 PM
On 2004-07-10 12:17, Ezellaur wrote:
Ok so like I said, they were raised in that environment probably. For a lot of them, it has nothing to do with self-control. Can you control yourself from speaking English? You were raised to speak English, so is it reasonable for me to say you don't have self-control since you can't stop speaking English? Same for people who speak with a regional accent. Are you going to say they lack self-control? For some of your peers, it is just them choosing to do it. But for others, they were just raised and are in that environment which breeds that kind of language. If they've been speaking like that since a young age, it's kind of been etched into them.

It's kinda different. Sure, if they're taught to curse from 2 years of age, than, yea, it's been etched into them, I concur on that point. But many kids don't learn to cuss til around 10-12 (or at least most kids I know), and they do it to be "cool" or "tough", trying to improve some type of image. Gah.

InfinityXXX
Jul 10, 2004, 02:31 PM
On 2004-07-10 12:29, InfernoNR7 wrote:

On 2004-07-10 12:17, Ezellaur wrote:

It's kinda different. Sure, if they're taught to curse from 2 years of age, than, yea, it's been etched into them, I concur on that point. But many kids don't learn to cuss til around 10-12 (or at least most kids I know), and they do it to be "cool" or "tough", trying to improve some type of image. Gah.

Well i do see some kids that cuss just to "fit in" but most of my friends cuss cuz there parents cuss.

Firocket1690
Jul 10, 2004, 02:41 PM
Lemme -fucking- simplify that http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Tis a rebellion thingy going on with kids.
It's cool to go aganst the 'traditional' image.

Beside that, it's also peer pressure amongst themselves. Their friends abuse the fuck word, they should too.

Myopathy
Jul 10, 2004, 02:50 PM
On 2004-07-10 12:29, InfernoNR7 wrote:

Ok, I agree with you on that. But, now let me ask how you know which is which? Because you HAVE to know which is which in order to come to this conclusion:

On 2004-07-10 12:11, InfernoNR7 wrote:
Simply a lack of self-control.

Basically, I'm just trying to say it's not as simple as you think it is. In some cases, yes, you are correct. But in many others, you're not. There are a lot of reasons why people curse, and to ignore all but the one you think is right is being, as you put it, ignorant.

Bradicus
Jul 10, 2004, 02:58 PM
To me, fuck is curative. It has helped me through extreme stress as well as pain, and i don't inted to stop saying it. The funny thing is that it loses its strength when over used. This is why i don't swear that much.

To sum it up: Fuck > Resta + Advil + horse tranquilizers.

Thank you for your Frankenfucking time : )

Ness
Jul 10, 2004, 03:09 PM
I try to avoid cussing because I find it infantile, but I have no problem with other people cussing. It is jsut that if they flame me using nothing but swearwords, I will call them on it.

astuarlen
Jul 10, 2004, 03:19 PM
I'm going to have to agree with Bradicus and Ezellaur. I was simply raised in a house where no one ever thought to censor their language for the benefit of young ones. We just don't make a big deal out of swearing, violence in movies, staying up late, and other "inappropriate" or "grown-up" stuff. Heck, I saw my first R-rated movie when I was 5 (and I fell asleep in the middle too http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif). And as you've probably noticed, I swear only rarely online. Around friends, I am a bit more lax about it, but I don't like to abuse swear words either. At home, it's a whole other game; swearing is just a form of address or stress-relief in this house. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif But swear words get worn-out easily, so you've got to be creative. Dig up some good old-fashioned insults or, at the very least, string a couple words together for extra fun. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_evil.gif

DruidMettool
Jul 10, 2004, 03:45 PM
Swearing is the staple of the American culture. Without it, we would all be snobby gentlmen and living in 1920s Britian.

If a 5 year old kid were to walk up to me and tell me to "Fuck Off", I would think it was hilarious

WraithVerge
Jul 10, 2004, 04:10 PM
reminds me of a time when a friend of mine inhaled helium and said "Fuck you!" to me in a high-pitched squeaky voice. I think I laughed for an hour straight.

Sef
Jul 10, 2004, 04:47 PM
They're just words. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Shattered_weasel
Jul 10, 2004, 07:43 PM
Sef and Bradicus are both right.

They are just words that are nice and calming and get your point across.

I have no problem with them because they are just words. Someone back in the day probably was like
"O meh god you like said fuck and it sounds naughty, don't say again or i will rip you apart and shit on you, O meh GAWD that is naughty too. Damn we have to get rid of that. And how about that one."

That concludes how babies are made....

Nai_Calus
Jul 10, 2004, 10:08 PM
Eh, they're words. Remember the old adge, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me"? Well, it's a bunch of bullshit, but it's true as applied to swearing. It's a word. Say it enough times, it loses it's meaning and it's just another adjective, not offensive at all.

And consider this, also - 50 years ago, it was perfectly alright to go around using the N-word. Today it's utterly taboo. And the N-word, or the 6-letter F-word, are far, far worse than a little old 'Fuck' could ever be.

What's offensive in language changes. What's OK in language changes. People are hypocrites, anyway - My step grandmother won't say 'God' unless she's talking about God, but she'll freely use the N-word and talk trash about african-americans. If she called the people working at her nursing home 'fuckers' it wouldn't offend me, because that knows no race, language or social status, but the word she does use that she grew up thinking was OK? Every time it comes out of her mouth I want to smack her, 90 years old or not.

I'd much rather people swear than use the alternative in a lot of cases. So keep that in mind, as well.

soccerdudegy
Jul 10, 2004, 11:02 PM
The was I see it, if you over use a cuss word like fuck or damn or something it loses its meaning. I mean when i say a cuss word, I want it to have MEANING, but if it has none, why not just say cherry, or clown, or any other word when I have something happen to me. It takes away the meaning behind it. As for the n-word? I am not even going to go there...its a word better left uninvented...

InfernoNR7
Jul 11, 2004, 12:44 AM
All good points. *Thanks God this hasn't turned into another flame war*. I still think that they're not just words. Also, in some languages, there aren't any curse words, which shows how they aren't vain enough to create words to be vulgar.

Myopathy
Jul 11, 2004, 12:59 AM
On 2004-07-10 22:44, InfernoNR7 wrote:
All good points. *Thanks God this hasn't turned into another flame war*. I still think that they're not just words. Also, in some languages, there aren't any curse words, which shows how they aren't vain enough to create words to be vulgar.

Actually I do believe that although in some languages, they don't have curse words. Culture as developed in a way where a phrase, although translated directly, is not a curse, but when in that culture, it is taken as a curse word/phrase.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ezellaur on 2004-07-10 23:00 ]</font>

InfernoNR7
Jul 11, 2004, 01:12 AM
On 2004-07-10 22:59, Ezellaur wrote:
Actually I do believe that although in some languages, they don't have curse words. Culture as developed in a way where a phrase, although translated directly, is not a curse, but when in that culture, it is taken as a curse word/phrase.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ezellaur on 2004-07-10 23:00 ]</font>

A good example is Hebrew, which has no cursing whatsoever. Now, there is cursing in a different sence, in which someone calls on God/their God to curse the person. (kinda like telling a Muslim that you hope their last meal is pork and bacon and that they should be buried with a pig).

AUTO_
Jul 11, 2004, 03:03 AM
I'm sure people who speak Hebrew make up words to be cuss words so they're not left out of the group http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Cussing is an everyday thing for me...I don't really even think about it when I say them...mainly because most all of my swears are adjectives to something.

Such as:

Fuck that.

Fuck this.

I don't fucking care.

etc.

Everyone reacts to cuss words differently...even though I don't think they're a huge deal in general, it's important to respect people who are offended by them by not saying them so casually.

btw my favorite cuss word is fuck. Neat huh?

BrokenHope
Jul 11, 2004, 06:23 AM
Meh

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/fwordflash.html

Ness
Jul 11, 2004, 06:39 AM
On 2004-07-11 04:23, Broken Hope wrote:
Meh

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/fwordflash.html

Why is this always posted everytime someone makes a thread about swearing?

Kadavreski
Jul 11, 2004, 06:56 AM
On 2004-07-10 12:41, Firocket1690 wrote:

...Beside that, it's also peer pressure amongst themselves. Their friends abuse the fuck word, they should too.

its very true http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif i would know. brcause thats what happens at my school.

Nazo
Jul 11, 2004, 11:34 AM
On 2004-07-11 04:39, Ness wrote:

Why is this always posted everytime someone makes a thread about swearing?

So I'm not the only one who's noticed this! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Quite frankly, Ezellaur (sp? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif) sums up what I've been through. Its all about the environment. Personally, I was a clean-mouthed well-to-do back in Japan around 6th grade. Now I look at myself, I swear in Korean, English, Japanese, whatever. Why? I look back- its the environment. As soon as I came here, I heard all the "punk/bully" words- the f, the n, the d, and the h and x, y, z for goodness sake! How could one help themselves in this situation? Naturally making friends with one who swears (which... in this school... is technically all but a rare few), and being introduced to a radically scary environment which I'd never been in before, I have to say- I was compelled to do it, or else I felt like I'd be outcast. But of course, at home I'm that innocent http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/pandaroll.gif at home. But I'm trying to come off it these days.

My point is this: you should try not to swear unless you're in an environment that makes you feel that you have to- e.g. a party, a state of pain, etc. But places on boards- such as PSOW itself- should be restricted... except the rants area, because that's where everyone goes to fume out! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Just my 2 cents.

Ness
Jul 11, 2004, 11:44 AM
On 2004-07-11 09:34, Nazo wrote:

So I'm not the only one who's noticed this! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

It gets really annoying because it doesn't contribute anything to the discussion.

darthsaber9x9
Jul 11, 2004, 08:00 PM
im in agreement with the people saying its only a word(s). if anything, blame the fuckers who decided it should be a curse word!

and fuck really is a great word. try and obtain (legally of course http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif) monty python's "uses of the word fuck" (might not be the exact same title). theres my evidence http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

InfernoNR7
Jul 11, 2004, 11:17 PM
On 2004-07-11 04:56, mechgun_mike wrote:

On 2004-07-10 12:41, Firocket1690 wrote:

...Beside that, it's also peer pressure amongst themselves. Their friends abuse the fuck word, they should too.

its very true http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif i would know. brcause thats what happens at my school.

My friends cuss, say the F word, all the crud all the time. Am I cussing? Breaking down to peer pressure, shame, shame.........

Traditionally, the F word, which had suddenly become the center of this discussion, means sexual intercourse, and was not an adjective.

I guess it's also my religeous upbringing and faith that keeps me from swearing tho.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: InfernoNR7 on 2004-07-11 21:20 ]</font>

Myopathy
Jul 11, 2004, 11:24 PM
On 2004-07-11 21:17, InfernoNR7 wrote:
I guess it's also my religeous upbringing and faith that keeps me from swearing tho.

You need to hang out with me more then. I bet I can break you. Hehe j/k.

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with not cursing. But I also don't think you should look down on people who do curse. There's not any different, they just have a different vocabulary set.

InfernoNR7
Jul 11, 2004, 11:31 PM
Meh, I don't look down on it, but I DO look down on the blatant use (and also, even more, the INCORRECT USE of the words) of the words. If you occasionally, (or, like some of my friends) or even a bit more than occasionally, use them, I have no beef with it, unless it's blatant and unintelligent use.

Evil_Althena8
Jul 12, 2004, 01:44 AM
I think it depends on how you were brought up. My mom cusses blantantly as though it were part of her normal vocabulary. "Oh fuck i forgot to get something from the store" or "pick up your shit". Its totally normal. I cuss normally, not like every other word, but when it is necessary. It depends on the perspective, after all, they're just words. Its not like they are secretly forbidden or anything...just words

Guile
Jul 12, 2004, 04:28 AM
I always like cussing in films, shows, games, media itself. I just think it's a good way to make a point, to show how serious a situation can be. I dunno..

FCK IT.

Sharkyland
Jul 12, 2004, 03:42 PM
I think this has been stated before. Like rules, they are meant to be broken. If they can't be broken then they bend, they bend, bend, bend, until it is finally broken. New rules are posted up, and well, it repeats once again...

Using 'fuck' back then was like a cardinal sin, now-a-days no one cares because we adapted it into our social norm. People doing outrageous things we see today might become a social norm in the future.

Heck, media is a big influence... sure, when I play sometimes on PSO I will block my cuss words because I have no idea when someone younger than me plays with me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sharkyland on 2004-07-12 13:44 ]</font>

AUTO_
Jul 12, 2004, 04:34 PM
On 2004-07-12 13:42, Sharkyland wrote:
sure, when I play sometimes on PSO I will block my cuss words because I have no idea when someone younger than me plays with me.

They shouldn't be playing it if they're under 13...and if they're 13+ your cuss words probably won't have a huge effect on them.