PDA

View Full Version : MMORPGs

Armok
Jul 20, 2004, 12:17 PM
Recently I have been Looking into the future of Online Rpgs because pso aint gonna last for ever ya know.

Now I now alot of you will probabily totally disagree with what I'm about to say but oh well these things have annoyed me long enough.

Where the Hell are the new ideas, for fuck sake its appauling. Their all the fucking same. 10,000 players in the same game but the whole idea is go out in a band of 3-10 and kill some shit bears or lizard type computer creatures then come back to the town to sell goods to npcs. After years playing as either Elves or humans I'm sick of it. I sick of the rigid classes that your stuck on after a certain level. I'm sick of the only trade skill you can ever learn being a blacksmith and I'm sick most of all of MANA.

If you've got 10,000 ppl on a server then you should have battles between them of 1000 ppl plus. You should have bloody shops not run by NPCs. Most of all newbies should not be lead into the online game by a bunch of shit ass quests to kill level 1 goats etc (tutorials should be offline) and insted be forced to either join some high ranked players army or take a shit job to earn the respect to move up in the world.

KaFKa
Jul 20, 2004, 12:41 PM
armok, you have struck upon something that many people (including myself) have been thinking about for awile.

MMORPGS as they stand now are nothing but more of the same (with an exception in a small part being city of heroes.) this is why i've given up on MMORPGS until someone comes out with an amazimgly well done one.

Armok
Jul 20, 2004, 12:53 PM
Glad to see some one agrees KaKFa

I recently took a keen interest in the new War of Warcraft. thousands of players on same server etc great graphics.

I then read the beta test reviews (which said it was good) howver all i read was. NPC guardians stopping you taking over towns. Is going to be little quest groups. Same same....very disapointed.

With the onset of superfast BB becoming common, should not they use it to expand interaction rather than this stay in little groups in a npc ruled world.

I forsaw a RPG future where those ppl who played for 1000hrs plus didnt have a lv190+ char but insted where the leader of a town/army/clan of real ppl and didnt have an objective of just to make it to lv 200 or whatever but to aquire more land/men and eventually become king of the server.

KaFKa
Jul 20, 2004, 01:00 PM
On 2004-07-20 10:53, Armok wrote:
I forsaw a RPG future where those ppl who played for 1000hrs plus didnt have a lv190+ char but insted where the leader of a town/army/clan of real ppl and didnt have an objective of just to make it to lv 200 or whatever but to aquire more land/men and eventually become king of the server.

my god, that would be beautiful

Kuea
Jul 20, 2004, 01:02 PM
On 2004-07-20 11:00, KaFKa wrote:

my god, that would be beautiful

you just want to be ruler of something that has power

although it would be fun to have that much power

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

AUTO_
Jul 20, 2004, 01:13 PM
Monster Hunters coming to PS2 is probably the next online game I'm considering.

It's from Capcom and hasn't gotten a ton of publicity (hoping it doesn't suck), but it looks pretty fun to me.

If you're still angry with "the formula" you probably won't like it then from principal alone...it's basically PSO but more mature.

^ You go out in groups of 4 with midevil looking dudes (not midevilish though...just the look--you get guns) and basically just kill monsters for their parts. You use their parts for your armor/weapons. Like, if you kill a Triceretops you can use one of his horns to place on your helmet (for stabbing).

I don't know...even games that follow the "formula" can still be good games, it just leaves something else to be desired.

HUnewearl_Meira
Jul 20, 2004, 01:23 PM
On 2004-07-20 10:17, Armok wrote:
If you've got 10,000 ppl on a server then you should have battles between them of 1000 ppl plus. You should have bloody shops not run by NPCs. Most of all newbies should not be lead into the online game by a bunch of shit ass quests to kill level 1 goats etc (tutorials should be offline) and insted be forced to either join some high ranked players army or take a shit job to earn the respect to move up in the world.

That game is called, "Shadowbane (http://www.shadowbane.com/)."

Personally, it's not quite my thing, but that's likely to be exclusively because I simply don't have the time to invest in it. My brother-in-laws play it quite a bit, however, and the game is rather impressive, over all. Once you progress off of "Newbie Island," (which, I suppose you can leave at any time) you go and join a nation (I suppose you could start your own, if you really want to), your nation, as a group, has the power to take over land from other nations, build their own cities, act as shopkeepers, or whatever.

Mind you, when I say that you take over land from another nation, I mean that you literally go and burn down another nation's city, beat them out of it, and the server recognizes it as yours.

There's also a large number of races available to choose from, and a rather wide range of customization for each, so it works out rather well. It's basically the type of MMORPG you described above.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HUnewearl_Meira on 2004-07-20 11:32 ]</font>

ABDUR101
Jul 20, 2004, 01:29 PM
Lineage II has player-vs-player combat, as well as castle sieges with quite a high number of players.

But then you also get the lame fuckheads of gaming in on the action, and they have bots setup to "farm" parts of the world so that anything that enters their area is auto-attacked and looted, which means they can be at work, sleeping, or whatever while their bot is farming an area, then they can come back, sell everything that was looted, make a hellish amount of money, buy the best equipment(which supposedly equipment in Lineage II is hellishly high-priced for some reason), and then come back to do it all again.

(I don't know if the farming was addressed or not, thats the last I heard from abit ago. If it was addressed, I might look into it, since thats one of the main things that put me off from Lineage II)

I don't like constant PvsP, for the simple fact that I don't want to have to worry about getting killed because someone got bored as they passed me by. PvsP in set locations and areas is fine, but PvsP everywhere is just stupid because just about everyone who wants to be an ass, is going to be, and they won't even need a reason.

It's not very inviting to new players either, to have to worry about every other player they come across that's higher lvl than them, worrying that they'll trek to a far location, only to get killed by someone just for kicks.

I've been playing Horizons. No PvsP, but it's a huge world, over nine selectable races, two of the races were freed by the players by completing in-game requirements, such as defeating certain high lvl enemies, building bridges and destroying some arcane machines.(My main is a dragon that reached adult-hood afew weeks ago, now I'm easily larger than pretty much everything in-game and can fly anywhere), the entire economy is player-based(all weapons, armor, spells, tools, etc are player made, and theres a consigner system to have your stuff up for auction at a price you set).

The company that made it, Artifact Entertainment, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection because one of it's vendors could'nt come to an agreement(most likely Atari), and the company has had two lay-offs and paycuts this year to keep just enough staff to keep Horizons going. Don't know the future of the game, but they've said the game won't be halted, but that there is another company thats really interested in buying Artifact and taking over Horizons.

Scejntjynahl
Jul 20, 2004, 01:29 PM
I wish they threw in something new, something unexpected. Like family or blood ties. Meaning you could actually have a wife/husband and their babies will be future players. I mean, damn it, create a ROLE PLAYING GAME for once god damn it. Esentially all of these so far have been hack and slash and collect items. No real quests, for example hunting parties to acquire food for the village/city, then said food is traded for money or goods with other villages/cities. Creating alliances and such to take on large threats... come on. Something, anything from the obvious "kill, grow, collect, kill..."

HUnewearl_Meira
Jul 20, 2004, 01:37 PM
On 2004-07-20 11:29, Scejntjynahl wrote:
I wish they threw in something new, something unexpected. Like family or blood ties. Meaning you could actually have a wife/husband and their babies will be future players. I mean, damn it, create a ROLE PLAYING GAME for once god damn it. Esentially all of these so far have been hack and slash and collect items. No real quests, for example hunting parties to acquire food for the village/city, then said food is traded for money or goods with other villages/cities. Creating alliances and such to take on large threats... come on. Something, anything from the obvious "kill, grow, collect, kill..."

I'd personally love to see a game where playing in-character is encouraged, but unfortunately, I don't think that there are enough intelligent players to accomplish the task without getting a bunch of brain-dead pre-teens screwing it up.

ABDUR101
Jul 20, 2004, 01:55 PM
Horizon's has role-play servers, and any out of character talk isn't allowed. You no doubt get the few idiots who speak |33+ just to be asses, but with enough reports, they get taken care of I'd assume.

But then you can put people on ignore in Horizons, so that always helps.

Also, Dark Age of Camelot and it's expansions have castle sieges and PvsP, but I never really read too much into that game. Took a look at all the races and so on and it just did'nt catch any interest.

Bradicus
Jul 20, 2004, 01:59 PM
Hey, I'm still waiting for my god damned Zelda MMORPG.

Still, i would love to see the potential to raise in military rank (within a clan or nation). A Command and Conquer-like display could allow you to give orders to your troops (perhaps viewed as a large arrow at the top of the screen).

I'd also like to have a real clan war.

HUnewearl_Meira
Jul 20, 2004, 02:21 PM
On 2004-07-20 11:59, Bradicus wrote:
Still, i would love to see the potential to raise in military rank (within a clan or nation). A Command and Conquer-like display could allow you to give orders to your troops (perhaps viewed as a large arrow at the top of the screen).

If you could dispense orders in an MMORPG the same way you do in an RTS, then my buddy's nation would be invincible.

Armok
Jul 20, 2004, 02:21 PM
I've heard of Shadowbane it was just not given that great reviews. What this topics really about is that MMORPGS need to take the next step like FPS did with the release of counter strike.

Like if you want to become a wizard you don't just click wizard as your char when you start playing then buy/find staffs and techique/spell disk/book. You should have to be taught by a order of Wizards the various chants (after being born normal like everyone else). If you want to be a theif you should have to go into the woods and ask to join some and learn from them.

Oh and finally all this crap on your char under your name it says your class e.g thief. Just cos you know a pickpocket ability. You should be able to know skills then go off and learn how to do something else completely different without having to lose all the previous knowledge you've previosuly aquired. Its annoying as hell that suddenly just cos you've learnt to do a fireball that you no longer can open basic locks. What are you ment to have a sponge for a brain or summit.

Aredhel
Jul 20, 2004, 03:47 PM
Asheron's Call is the perfect MMORPG in all these respects. You choose skills at the very beginning and customize exactly what sort of melee/archer/mage you want to be- there are no "character classes", just characters with certain skills.

You have the opportunity to join an allegiance, where you swear fealty to one person - that person is sworn to another, and so forth - I was in an allegiance that had 2000+ members under one single monarch. This is beneficial to both parties (lord and vassal) because a portion of the exp the vassal earns goes directly to his lord, as such, the lord supplies the vassal with training, items, etc... so it's all truly up to the people to take care of things. the system was extremely balanced in the fact that you could become very wealthy and powerful very quickly if you had the right friends http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Unfortunately, it's a little dated - it came out in 2000, but there's still tons of people who play and, unlike Everquest (blechh!) you don't have to buy every new expansion from the store. One of THE greatest things about AC was the fact that you pay $10 each month (typical) but the devs come out with an entirely new patch every month, so new stuff is constantly being added. The world is huge, there millions of possibilites, etc... it's an RPG just done right in all respects. May be worth checking out if you're not a graphics whore (looks about on par with PSO).

http://acvault.ign.com/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Aredhel on 2004-07-20 13:48 ]</font>

Ness
Jul 20, 2004, 04:10 PM
Most of the MMORPG's out there are the same. They are set in a medival (usually post-collapse) world with knights, warriors, mages, and theives. Also, they all charge a ridiculously large amount of money and the games get boring quickly. The thing that upsets me the msot about MMORPGs is that teamwork is not only encouraged, it's mandatory. You can't survive in a MMORPG with a team and that sucks for those of us that like to solo.

Eanae
Jul 20, 2004, 04:35 PM
If you don't like the way games are, e-mail some gamming company or something. Complaining about it here isn't going to change anything. Not like some big time producer is going to be reading over these forums just to get game ideas. Start e-mailing these people with ideas. You seem to have enough of em.

A bit of offtopic: This whole 'all games being alike' is the exact reason I took it upon myself to start programming my own game. (Text based http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif) I downloaded a code-base, and started from there. This way, I can make everything the way I want. Make it all different. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

DruidMettool
Jul 20, 2004, 05:45 PM
On 2004-07-20 14:10, Ness wrote:
Most of the MMORPG's out there are the same. They are set in a medival (usually post-collapse) world with knights, warriors, mages, and theives. Also, they all charge a ridiculously large amount of money and the games get boring quickly. The thing that upsets me the msot about MMORPGs is that teamwork is not only encouraged, it's mandatory. You can't survive in a MMORPG with a team and that sucks for those of us that like to solo.

Thanks for saving me typing-time, Ness.

One last thing you forgot: The battle systems always suck. ALWAYS.