PDA

View Full Version : Family Meeting. Horray.

anwserman
Jul 22, 2004, 11:24 AM
I have a family meeting in two hours or so.... it will be between my dad, my mother and I. Now, why would we be having a family meeting?

Because of a really, really stupid argument that happened this past Monday between my mother and I, which resulted in her giving me the silent treatment since then.

I personally do not know how this conversation will turn out - I might end up getting kicked out of the house or warned - but whatever it is about... the key problem behind it is my striving for independence.

Note: Not the whole "I'm independent, I don't have to do anything you say" type of independence, but the whole "I'll buy my own clothing, food and toiletries, and I'll cook my own meals and tidy up when needed" type of independence.

I'll post more about this after our family meeting finishes.

Solstis
Jul 22, 2004, 11:25 AM
On 2004-07-22 09:24, anwserman wrote:
I have a family meeting in two hours or so.... it will be between my dad, my mother and I. Now, why would we be having a family meeting?

Because of a really, really stupid argument that happened this past Monday between my mother and I, which resulted in her giving me the silent treatment since then.

I personally do not know how this conversation will turn out - I might end up getting kicked out of the house or warned - but whatever it is about... the key problem behind it is my striving for independence.

Note: Not the whole "I'm independent, I don't have to do anything you say" type of independence, but the whole "I'll buy my own clothing, food and toiletries, and I'll cook my own meals and tidy up when needed" type of independence.

I'll post more about this after our family meeting finishes.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Family meetings always = bad. I loathe family meetings.

Poor anwserman, may you fare well!

KodiaX987
Jul 22, 2004, 11:28 AM
Last time I had a family meeting, I came this |<--->| close to getting kicked out of the house the second following the meeting with nothing else on the clothes on myself and my wallet.

Armok
Jul 22, 2004, 11:52 AM
On 2004-07-22 09:24, anwserman wrote:

You seem to be looking for independance in a moving out type way anyhow.

Althought the cost of living out pales the buying your own food and toiletries. You have to remember you do not pay for your house and by exerting your own meal system, cleanign system and basically stuff just for you you're breaking up the house/comunal unit. Sorry I have to take the parents side on this one. Either put up with sharing stuff with them and their rule system or move out.

navci
Jul 22, 2004, 01:39 PM
I always get pwned in family meetings even though I am the well-behaved one. I hate family meetings. It is never productive.

Guile
Jul 24, 2004, 03:47 PM
Family meeting eh, can't say I ever had one or I know what goes on at them but my guess is it will suck...

Armok
Jul 24, 2004, 04:22 PM
Anyone heard from answerman since the meeting hope it didnt go too badly for him.

Daikarin
Jul 24, 2004, 07:00 PM
I know I threw myself in the lions' pit with this post, but here goes.

Folks, I haven't seen my family in months.

I look forward to our next family meeting, this summer.

My father will keep pressurizing me as if I were his Mini-me version, and tell me how should must do everything.
Heck, he's even gonna start bitching when he sees that the way I cut my fruit with the knife is different than his.

My mother will advise me to wear this, wear that, will keep tracking me wherever I go, and so on, and so on.

My brother and I will probably have a nasty martial arts fight again over who is right about the rules of some board game.

My sister won't probably talk to me much, since she hasn't quite forgiven me yet.

My uncle probably still didn't surpass his alcohool problem, and hasn't found himself yet.

Besides all that, I have to face the little insignificant stuff they tell from each other in their back.

But I miss them.

I am one of them. I'm my father and mother's son, I'm my brother and sister's brother, I'm my uncle's nephew.

I owe them a lot.

When I moved away from home, they supported me in every way. My uncle, my sister, my brother, my parents, everyone.

Then I realised that family isn't only the bad parts. It's not only those bad parts which make you go "Damn, here he/she goes again, with this bullshit he/she's ever been going on since I was a kid".

In fact, I was raised by them. My parents spent more than 1/4 of their salaries in the last 19 years to make it possible that I can be here today, at college, with my own PC, internet, and my space.

My brother and sister love me, despite our differences.

My uncle helped me with my homework as a kid, countless times. He once even made my school project once, while I was sleeping.

I'm sure your experiences are completely different, but remember: You've got a family. Folks who care for you.

Some kids at orphanage, lone adults would give everything for that feeling of integration among a clan, the feeling of being wanted by a group of people which hold you dear.

I'm sure you guys stress to put up with them again, but remember that family experiences aren't all bad.

I'm sure there were a lot of good moments.

And with that on your mind, I think:

Hell, they're my family. I owe them my life. Is it so hard to ignore some comments, go with how they want it to sometimes, become passive sometimes?

You never value the things you have, until you lose those things.

...And with that, let the flaming begin! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

I like family meetings. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

P.S.: Forum does not exist bug. And hurray for Notepad http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Even_Jin on 2004-07-24 17:02 ]</font>

navci
Jul 24, 2004, 08:27 PM
Jin.
I havn't live with my parents since 1996.
Thing is, I miss having a proper family sometime with mom makes dinner, and dad... snore or something.

Still. I don't look forward to seeing them for more than a week. They are important people in my life, but... I dunno, I think we are just better off spending time away from each other.

I loathe my bro and everyone here knows it. But, I did actually spent two years away from him, sort of. But ya, that stupid dumb bastard I miss. I guess I am just use to his jerky presence. And to say the truth, aside from being a jerk and lazy asshole, he isn't half as bad as a lot of people I have met. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

I dunno. Some of us just get along with each other better, some, well don't.

Solstis
Jul 24, 2004, 08:29 PM
On 2004-07-24 18:27, navinator wrote:
Jin.
I havn't live with my parents since 1996.
Thing is, I miss having a proper family sometime with mom makes dinner, and dad... snore or something.

Still. I don't look forward to seeing them for more than a week. They are important people in my life, but... I dunno, I think we are just better off spending time away from each other.

I loathe my bro and everyone here knows it. But, I did actually spent two years away from him, sort of. But ya, that stupid dumb bastard I miss. I guess I am just use to his jerky presence. And to say the truth, aside from being a jerk and lazy asshole, he isn't half as bad as a lot of people I have met. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

It makes Solstis unhappy knowing that he has to leave his family.

Solstis cries!

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Daikarin
Jul 24, 2004, 09:41 PM
On 2004-07-24 18:27, navinator wrote:

When there's a will, there's a way miss. I don't mean to meddle in your affairs, so I'll stop here.

Peace http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

anwserman
Jul 25, 2004, 03:24 PM
No, I'm still here.
It didn't go too badly, just the typical yell-at-me discussion we have every couple months. Though they did bring up some valid points about my attitude, I still can't seem to get over the whole "we're never wrong" attitude parents seem to acquire throughout the years.

Gah.
I still live at home though.

KaFKa
Jul 25, 2004, 03:27 PM
i seriously think you should get a roommate and get an apartment or something. but thats just me...

Armok
Jul 25, 2004, 04:37 PM
I always find the best way to avoid any kind of family upset is just to constantly lie to them in a clever way.

I often walk into the kitchen just before dinner and rather than ask whats for dinner, ask if they need anything stiring or chopping up (you find out what your having speed up the process and it only costs you a minute or two extra). Its basically the same question but seen in a positive helpful way rather than a lazy negative way.

Another good one is to tell them what you have planned for the next few days. This way they think they have some kind of control over you when really your just doing what you always do.

Axispoint
Jul 25, 2004, 10:12 PM
On 2004-07-24 13:47, Guile wrote:
Family meeting eh, can't say I ever had one or I know what goes on at them but my guess is it will suck...

Ditto, but by the time I was 8, my parents were starting to not really get along and then less then five years later, were divorced, so that could have had something to do with it. Just the other day I was thinking about the days before we moved here (moved here when I was 8 ) and it seemed so totally different then it does now. We actually seemed like a family back then, as opposed to here, where we didn't. Seems like another lifetime >_<

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Axispoint on 2004-07-25 20:13 ]</font>