PDA

View Full Version : F**k you, Fox Studios!

Aredhel
Jul 28, 2004, 11:29 PM
GAH!

Things were so much better when 'this film is not yet rated'!!!

All of the movies and games leading up to it have been explicit in their story-telling, a certain leeway has been given for realism and horror and the capacity for better story-telling because of the imminent fear of death displayed before the eyes of even the most casual of viewers. Now, Fox has made a mockery of what was destined to be one of the most excellent cross-overs in movie history. Why would they do this? Was it so that they wouldn't alienate the younger viewers by carding at the door? It was all truly for money in the end anyways....

All I know is...

Alien Vs. Predator is rated PG-13...

And the world is a terrible place to live in right now http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cry.gif

ABDUR101
Jul 28, 2004, 11:32 PM
Wow...just saying that out loud sounds so fucking wrong. >=

What were the others rated though? R? I can't remember.

Sharkyland
Jul 29, 2004, 12:52 AM
I have no idea what's going on with the rating system now-a-days, but it's just effed up.

tai_EX
Jul 29, 2004, 01:12 AM
NOOOOOO!!!! THOSE BASTARDS HAVE GONE TOO FAR!!! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_argh.gif

but speaking of those FOX bastards... they cancelled the show Family Guy, which is now shown on Adult Swim.... well it turns out... NEW EPISODES OF FAMILY GUY WILL BE AIRED NEXT YEAR!!!! this revival on the Cartoon Networ has brought in sooo much cash that Seth Macfarline couldnt resist. so a new SEASON OF FAMILY GUY IS COMING!!! WOO HOO!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tai_EX on 2004-07-28 23:14 ]</font>

Firocket1690
Jul 29, 2004, 01:19 AM
Not much..
Aredhel is just sad that he wont get his bloody violence, overusage of the 'fuck' word, or any nudity.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

WraithVerge
Jul 29, 2004, 02:07 AM
"Look mommy! Why is that ugly, mean looking alien killing the cute crawling alien? What is that that just popped out of its head? It looks pretty!"

Well, since when did ratings ever mean anything? Games rated 'M' still somehow fall into younger hands and movies rated 'R' can still be watched at home by adolescence.

Hell, I remember watching "Predator" when I was only 5. Scared the living crap out of me, but I turned out just fine. *rests hand on human skull collection*

Outrider
Jul 29, 2004, 02:22 AM
I don't really care about Alien Vs. Predator, but uh... no space marines? I definitely won't be seeing it anytime soon now.

I just don't see the point of having humans if you're gonna have some stupid archaeologists instead of space marines.

PJ
Jul 29, 2004, 09:29 AM
I don't really mind the ratings for movies... but really the parents that ignore them =/

The original Spider-Man movie I beleive was PG13. And me and my brothers went the first day. About 60% of the audience was around 6-8. wtf? One kid was even wearing Spider-Man pajamas >_>

Aredhel
Jul 29, 2004, 11:21 AM
On 2004-07-28 23:19, Firocket1690 wrote:
Not much..
Aredhel is just sad that he wont get his bloody violence, overusage of the 'fuck' word, or any nudity.

Well what the fuck else would I see it for? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

All of the Alien movies have been rated 'R'. All of the Predator movies have been rated 'R'. All of the worthwhile Aliens and Predator and Aliens vs. Predator video games and comics and everything have been for mature audiences.

Remember the coolest damn line from the first Predator? "You are one ugly Mother Fucker." Well, don't expect anything that cool.

Remember the greatest character from Aliens? hudson said shit almost as bad as the forums at PSOW - don't expect any of that, either.

Remember all of the decapitations and splatterings and well-handled blood and gore from all of the movies- the stuff that really made you cringe in horror (chestbursters, aliens sticking inner-mouths into people, predators "collecting" their trophies)? Don't expect any of that on a level even close to the bar these movies have set for Science-fiction horror through the decades.

Perhaps I'm completely going about this all-wrong, though. PG-13 goes a LOT farther than it used to- but it still has its limits. I've read up on this movie so much and, along with numerous others, have been anticipating its arrival since the early 90's. Perhaps expectation has been the downfall of this movie all along, as is with so many other things in life. Perhaps it will actually be good - I'm not sure. What I do know is that after reading the faulty premise that was leaked onto the internet, with a PG-13 rating, this movie doesn't have a whole lot going for it.

I hope I'm wrong...

Judge me if you like, I know what I'm looking for in an anticipated summer film and nothing you can say about my bloodlust will make think differently (or make the movie better, for that matter).

ABDUR101
Jul 29, 2004, 12:02 PM
The sad thing is, I own all of the Alien movies and wasn't sure what they were rated. =]

Hell, mom bought me the VHS boxset many years ago for a birthday. I started watching scary movies when I was four and five, and the only one that really scared me was Gremlins.

But yeah, a PG-13 rating, I think this isn't going to turn out so well. It's not the same without the bloodletting, the decapitations, the horrendous deaths and the extreme violence. Why? Because I'm a sick fuck? No, because those are the traits that follow with the characters of the Alien and Predator series, it's a testament to them.

Imagine watching your favorite movie or show, but without one of the traits which gives it flair and appeal. It's akin to taking out the sickly and demented humor from "The Family Guy", you've just fucked the show backwards because that is one of it's traits.

Sad really, now all the diehard fans will just watch it and the only thing we'll really get is more-so of a history lesson, even though the die-hard fans already know most of whats going on anyway. =

And Outrider, it's about archeologists and not space marines, because it's way before the space marines, it goes back to the beginning of the Weiland-Yutani company, when Weiland's(you remember Bishop, the android from Aliens? He's based off Weiland, the guy who founded the actual company which makes robotics and androids) company finds a pyramid under the ice in one of the polar ice caps, they don't know what they're going to find. Thats why archeologists and a small team of capable weapons-handlers are sent in, it's an explorative mission.

It is the beginning, it is when Weiland first witnesses the brutality of the aliens, and why he sets out to find more of them, to harness them as bio-weapons later in the series.

Also, you get to learn about Predator Rites of Passage(if you did'nt already know about them), and the difference between Softmeat and Hardmeat. Not to mention, ancient religions come into play.

Ness
Jul 29, 2004, 12:15 PM
What's so bad about it being rated PG-13? All that means is more people are albe to see it. Just because a movie isn't rated "R" doesn't mean that it is going to be a bad movie.

Scejntjynahl
Jul 29, 2004, 12:17 PM
I just think its a marketing ploy, to sell toys and what not. Hence they try to make it "cool" not "gory" for younger tykes to want and buy said future merchandise.

And there is the DVD drama. Release it as PG-13, milk that dry. Then release again with deleted scenes added, milk that dry. And then "Directors Cut", milk that dry. And finally "Special Edition" with commentary and other idiotic stuff, milk that dry. And wait a year or even two. The rated R version will come out, and yes, milk that dry also.

Its economics people, all about how much money can they suck out from us.

I have already read several novels and comic books (Dark Horse if Im right) which have already played with the crossover of Predator and Aliens. And this movie is nothing like any of those.

In short. Expect good graphics... nothing more.

shifter
Jul 29, 2004, 12:45 PM
On 2004-07-29 10:02, ABDUR101 wrote:

I started watching scary movies when I was four and five, and the only one that really scared me was Gremlins.

Gremlins? how old were you when that came out? now A Nightmare on Elm st. series was one of the few moves that scared me.

on topic, that really sucks that its PG-13. not as much blood, gore, or anything else that makes a good R horror movie. like Ness said, because of its rating, it still might be good, but ive got serious doubts. i still might see, just to see how it is, but when ive seen the trailer i didnt think it was all to good. and when i see a trailer that sucks, the movie usually sucks too(ummm, catwoman anyone?).

offtopic again, new episodes of Family Guy, sweet.

Deathscythealpha
Jul 29, 2004, 04:07 PM
I dont get the idea behind this. The Alien Xenomorphs favourite past time is killing people and making a gory mess while they do it. The Predators favourite past time is decapitating people. How a film that features both these characters gets an age rating similer to Spiderman i dont know. I reackon the blood shed will be way, way low this time though.

Scrub
Jul 29, 2004, 09:12 PM
...I thought the best line from the Predator movie was 'GET TO ZE CHOPPA!'

Firocket1690
Jul 29, 2004, 10:29 PM
oh, and in the tv commercials, the guy says "... you are on ugly son of a..."

Well, Its not the same as the others though >.>;

I'm probably going to see it anyway.
It's worthy enough to sneak into watch, but it's not worth my $10.75.

Solstis
Jul 29, 2004, 11:02 PM
On 2004-07-29 14:07, Deathscythealpha wrote:
I dont get the idea behind this. The Alien Xenomorphs favourite past time is killing people and making a gory mess while they do it. The Predators favourite past time is decapitating people. How a film that features both these characters gets an age rating similer to Spiderman i dont know. I reackon the blood shed will be way, way low this time though.

They only maim people in this one.

rbf2000
Jul 29, 2004, 11:31 PM
It's sad to see this movie be pg-13. So much wasted potential.

Some movies you can tell would just be better if they were rated R instead of pg-13. Like, Dude, Where's My Car?. And that's just a comedy. I'm dissapointed to see that AvP is not gory enough to deserve an R rating.

Aredhel
Jul 30, 2004, 08:04 PM
Let me put it this way:

AVP is going to be the diet version of the series...

They say it has all the great taste but we all know it's crap!

darthsaber9x9
Jul 31, 2004, 07:50 AM
+ i can get in

- it wont be worth seeing

Outrider
Jul 31, 2004, 08:40 AM
On 2004-07-29 10:02, ABDUR101 wrote:
And Outrider, it's about archeologists and not space marines, because it's way before the space marines, it goes back to the beginning of the Weiland-Yutani company, when Weiland's(you remember Bishop, the android from Aliens? He's based off Weiland, the guy who founded the actual company which makes robotics and androids) company finds a pyramid under the ice in one of the polar ice caps, they don't know what they're going to find. Thats why archeologists and a small team of capable weapons-handlers are sent in, it's an explorative mission.

It is the beginning, it is when Weiland first witnesses the brutality of the aliens, and why he sets out to find more of them, to harness them as bio-weapons later in the series.

Also, you get to learn about Predator Rites of Passage(if you did'nt already know about them), and the difference between Softmeat and Hardmeat. Not to mention, ancient religions come into play.

Ah, well, see... what I should've pointed out is that I have absolutely no grounding in backstory for Aliens or Predators. All I know is the few bits and pieces of the Alien movies I've seen over the years and the tons and tons of toys my little brother owned.

So keeping in mind I'm just the average joe looking in from the outside, I want my space marines! It just seems odd to me to even have the humans if they weren't really a deciding force in the movie. But uh... I'm just going to assume that all that stuff you mentioned is important because as I said... I've got no clue. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Aredhel
Aug 1, 2004, 02:44 PM
http://www.avp-movie.com

Look at the rating box at the bottom:

RATED PG-13, PARENTS STRONGLY CAUTIONED
VIOLENCE, LANGUAGE, HORROR IMAGES, SLIME AND GORE

"Oh no, I won't let little Timmy go see it now that I know it has slime in it!!!" -soccer-mom who was considering taking her 8-year old son to the scaaaary movie.

not really http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

But seriously, Fox has edited the movie, I'm sure to fit a wider audience - thus we get the censored version of the movie. I can't wait to fucking yell at all the little shit-headed 13-year olds in the audience who talk and try to get attention during the movie...

Pathetic, huh? after all this ranting, I'm still going to see it http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Uncle_bob
Aug 1, 2004, 02:57 PM
On 2004-07-28 23:19, Firocket1690 wrote:
Not much..

AvP won't have ANY of those?! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cry.gif

*wanders off to find a shotgun and a ride to Fox*