PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Cartoon Network

DruidMettool
Jul 31, 2004, 03:44 PM
Well, change is usually good. But change in the media is always bad. And it seems Cartoon Network decided to make things 100% geared toward the X-TREME generation of kids.

Cartoon Network, in recent years, has gone to the pits. We all knewt hat Nickelodeon was destryed by the X-TREMEness of shows like Rocket Power a good 5 or 6 years ago. But you would think that Cartoon Network, a network that was dedicated to showing us some of the greatest Hanna Barbera cartoons, would keep to their roots. But nope... they went ahead and sold themselves out anyways.

I didnt have much of a problem when they wiped out the entire nostalgia fanbase by moving everything to Boomerang: a channel that you have to pay about 80 extra dollars to access. But hey, they kept Flintstones on CN, so I was fine with that.

Then, about a year ago, they moved Flintstones to Boomerang. So I decided to stop watching cartoon network on a regular basis. The only reason i dared to go near it was to watch Ed Edd n Eddy.

If you flip through Cartoon Network nowadays, you'll notice that all of our favorites are gone. Where Cow and Chicken? Where's Johnny Bravo? WHY THE FUCK ARE THEY SHOWING KIDS NEXT DOOR 16 TIMES A DAY? Personally, I liked it better when they showed Dexter's lab 16 times a day. At least THAT was a decent show. KND is shit and it should burn in Tartarus.

Looks like Cartoon Network has finally done it. They've sold themselves out to the media, hired two assholes to host a pointless friday night session, and made things a little more X-TREEEEEEEEME.

Cartoon Network used to be cool. Now they're just... bad.

Azbats
Jul 31, 2004, 03:52 PM
I just find it hilarious that a 17 year old lad is complaining about shows on the Cartoon Network *LMFAO*

Oh well, I suppose it's better than taking drugs!!! 17 *laughs uncontrollably* Cheers for the pick-me-up!

Solstis
Jul 31, 2004, 03:54 PM
Good shows (to me)still on Cartoon Network, or new ones:

Megas XLR
Cowboy Be... wait... not as much
Lupin the III
Wolf's Rain
Family Guy
Futurama
Inuyasha
Sealab 2010 + ATHF

Forgive if I missed some.

The ones I miss:

(agh! the lambchop is done! I'll finish this later!)

Armok
Jul 31, 2004, 04:01 PM
On 2004-07-31 13:52, Azbats wrote:
I just find it hilarious that a 17 year old lad is complaining about shows on the Cartoon Network *LMFAO*

Oh well, I suppose it's better than taking drugs!!! 17 *laughs uncontrollably* Cheers for the pick-me-up!

Seriously if you havent watched CN then you weird. Johnny Bravo is the greatest thing ever. Oh and you really should understand 90% of weed smokign 17 year olds I've meet watch it and DBZ which are both CN in this country.

digigram
Jul 31, 2004, 04:07 PM
EDIT for personal taste

Megas XLR sucks hard, and I mean VERY hard
Cowboy Bebop how could you not like it
Lupin the III getting used to it
Wolf's Rain hard to get into (sort of cheesy)
Family Guy
Futurama
Inuyasha 12 yr old RPG names? lol.. be original
Sealab 2010 + ATHF sealab went to shit when harry goz died

anyhow... thats just my personal opinion.... here is a list of shows that can burn...

stroker & hoop
Megas XLR
Dragonball (ooh.. blasphemy!) grow up and realize this show is shit. that is unless you like 8 episodes tied in together that form one Full fucking sentence of dialog from one of the characters.
CN-KND horrbible piece of shit made by idiots that thought 5 year olds still pretend to be ninjas.
all of scooby-doo legacy I have always hated that show.... it has the content of watching the washer and dryer spin while washing clothes..

I'll sum these up together because I think these shows/franchises are bullshit ---------------
1:pokemon
2:yu-gi-oh or however the fuck it's spelled.
3:any show involving Card Duels.
4:any show involving american made fake ass anime ripoff giant robots "battling" in the desert.
5:oh yeah... TOKYOPOP commercials and, of course, TOKYOPOP.
6:CUT OFF FRIDAY NIGHTS from this bullshit scene of stupid ass and stupid bitch pretending to be interesting when tey show SHIT for toons.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: digigram on 2004-07-31 14:09 ]</font>

Solstis
Jul 31, 2004, 04:25 PM
Damn, I lost my post.

Anyway, I agree with you pretty much Digi (except for Megas... better than Kids Next Door, right?)

I miss:

Freakazoid
Flinstones
Acme Hour
Samurai Pizza Cats (wait, wrong network!)
Outlaw Star (wasn't the greatest, but still)

And azbat (asshat)... YOU should be considering who has a life, now shouldn't you?

digigram
Jul 31, 2004, 04:27 PM
Outlaw star was fairly good.. but that was back when Toonami didn't lose their prime spot on CN and was where you actually saw the anime'ish shows... towards the end they might as well called Toonami, "the dragonball hours".

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: digigram on 2004-07-31 14:28 ]</font>

Solstis
Jul 31, 2004, 04:29 PM
On 2004-07-31 14:27, digigram wrote:
Outlaw star was fairly good.. but that was back when Toonami didn't lose their prime spot on CN and was where you actually saw the anime'ish shows... towards the end they might as well called Toonami, "the dragonball hours".

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: digigram on 2004-07-31 14:28 ]</font>

Now only Adult Swim is on to hold that glorius banner.

*sigh*

KaFKa
Jul 31, 2004, 04:47 PM
shows i miss:

all the old-school stuff.
big-o
outlaw star
DBZ (the first time through)
cowboy bebop
and witch hunter robin. (im not sure if its still on, i havent seen it in awile)

things i say WTF to:

KND. seriously, theres only like 15 episodes to begin with, and they show it 16 times a day. HMMMM...

DBZ hour (toonami)

rave master. (oh my god, what the fuck is this shit? its pokemon/yugioh with swords. it hurts the fucking brain.)

the deal with scooby-doo:
come on, CN. let a legend die peacefully...

...the only reason i still watch CN is because of adult swim.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KaFKa on 2004-07-31 14:48 ]</font>

DruidMettool
Jul 31, 2004, 04:47 PM
Ouch, I forgot all about Adult Swim. It's come to the point that they're almost two different networks sharing one channel.

Ness
Jul 31, 2004, 04:59 PM
TV in general has declined. It's been going on for awhile and it it just now getting to the cartoon channels. The onyl things worth watching on TV are Yuyu Hakusho, Megas XLR, and Comedy Central. Other than that, I just don't bother watching TV anymore.

Armok
Jul 31, 2004, 05:04 PM
Why watch tv when you can go to FKL and indulge in all the brain dead activity you want.

Sayara
Jul 31, 2004, 07:19 PM
Well that ruins all the fun!

We got to consider what kids WANT to see these days. You see... as all companies are... they see what the popularity is... (Yugioh/Poke/DBZ...etc) and pull that through. Thats why they have Scooby on so much and them bringing in ALOT of the WBkid shows.
Which isnt the worst idea in the world but us older folk who appreciated the old cartoons are out of luck for the age of the popular in touch kids these days.

I mean ALL of the kid channels have done a big reverting change. Remember Disney Channel and their 90% Cartoons deal[like all of the 80's-90's Disney Franchise Shows] and Nick and its uber load of good cartoons like Rocko, old Rugrats/ AHh...etc.

I guess its a change for them, and if they keep getting themselves money. Then they're doing a good job then. We just need better things to watch.

Skett
Jul 31, 2004, 07:35 PM
Eh, I hardly watch Cartoon Network anymore. Their standard shows (Everything from Scooby-Doo to Kids Next Door to Jonny Brovo) suck. I used to watch Toonami but they put too much DBZ on.

The only thing I watch is Adult Swim, mostly for Family Guy and the animes but lately I have just been watching the animes on G4TechTV's Anime Unleashed more.

InfinityXXX
Jul 31, 2004, 09:34 PM
Well I watched CN recently and it has CHANGED ALOT. When a tv show goes to a commercial they show random cartoon network cartoon characters in a human enviroment. They had Aku from samurai jack in a real bar. I also noticed that cartoon network has about 3 comercial breaks in one cartoon. A year ago cartoon network use to only have 1 commercial break per cartoon. I stopped watching cartoon network when teen titans came on. Now i just watch Adult Swim. They also have some program where they have two people host and they play cartoons, i think it comes on about once a week. I haven't seen Johnny Bravo in about 2 years and Cow and Chicken in about 3. Cartoon Network is reminding me of Nickelodeon.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: InfinityXXX on 2004-07-31 19:36 ]</font>

Solstis
Jul 31, 2004, 10:28 PM
On 2004-07-31 19:34, InfinityXXX wrote:
Well I watched CN recently and it has CHANGED ALOT. When a tv show goes to a commercial they show random cartoon network cartoon characters in a human enviroment. They had Aku from samurai jack in a real bar. I also noticed that cartoon network has about 3 comercial breaks in one cartoon. A year ago cartoon network use to only have 1 commercial break per cartoon. I stopped watching cartoon network when teen titans came on. Now i just watch Adult Swim. They also have some program where they have two people host and they play cartoons, i think it comes on about once a week. I haven't seen Johnny Bravo in about 2 years and Cow and Chicken in about 3. Cartoon Network is reminding me of Nickelodeon.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: InfinityXXX on 2004-07-31 19:36 ]</font>

Johnny came back. It sucks now.

Eihwaz
Jul 31, 2004, 10:44 PM
Yeah, KND is utter and complete shit. Hell, I'd much, MUCH rather they put on the old school stuff, Tom and Jerry, Looney Toons, the CLASSICS. They are incredibly funny, and have orchestrated soundtracks. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Dexter's Lab is another great show, I really loved it. It was all reruns for a long time, so I've seen virtually every episode at least once. They came back with new art style, and it died. Sucks.

Samurai Jack KICKED ASS. The main character was a sleek samurai, not a big stupid idiot with a gun. Super action sequences. I miss this one a lot. >_<

Big O, I've only seen a couple of episodes, but it was pretty damn good. A lot like Batman, but with giant robots. Didn't make much sense, but the robot designs were really cool, big and bulky.

Adult Swim is the only thing I really like on CN anymore:

Family Guy ~ Twistedly funny, quite amusing.
Futurama ~ Really great show, Matt Groening's best work ever, far better than Simpsons.
Aqua Teen Hunger Force ~ It's quite amusing. Frylock > j00.
Sealab 2021 ~ Eh, it's okay. Sometimes it's pretty funny, other times it's just lame. ATHF is generally better.
InuYasha ~ Very popular show, it's pretty good. The pervert monk is amusing. XD
Case Closed ~ I kinda like this show, it's cutely amusing to see an adorable 6 year old find horribly mangled corpses, then solve the mystery. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif
Wolf's Rain ~ This show kicks much ass. People who brought us Cowboy Bebop + Yoko Kanno = kick ass anime. Weird, but in a profoundly good way.
Cowboy Bebop ~ Even though I've seen all the episodes, it's still great. I still like the uncut versions on DVD better, though.
Lupin the III ~ Really, really, old-school. Art is painfully old, but it's still a pretty good show. Goemon is teh leet swordsman. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

And CHRIST ON A CRACKER, DO NOT FUCKING GET ME STARTED ON NICKELODEON. >_<;

Sayara
Jul 31, 2004, 10:55 PM
On 2004-7-31 Someone else wrote:
I also noticed that cartoon network has about 3 comercial breaks in one cartoon. A year ago cartoon network use to only have 1 commercial break per cartoon. I stopped watching cartoon network when teen titans came on. Now i just watch Adult Swim. They also have some program where they have two people host and they play cartoons, i think it comes on about once a week. I haven't seen Johnny Bravo in about 2 years and Cow and Chicken in about 3. Cartoon Network is reminding me of Nickelodeon.

Ya think thats bad? The Cartoon Theater thing they had has a Commerical like every 15 minutes. (knows this from watchin that there Pokemon Movie)

On 2004-07-31 20:44, Eihwaz wrote:
Yeah, KND is utter and complete shit. Hell, I'd much, MUCH rather they put on the old school stuff, Tom and Jerry, Looney Toons, the CLASSICS. They are incredibly funny, and have orchestrated soundtracks. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

And CHRIST ON A CRACKER, DO NOT FUCKING GET ME STARTED ON NICKELODEON. >_<;

Dont forget these cartoons have alot of hidden stuff in them too! Stuff bout War, and alot of things CN has to censor cause its so... out there! XD

Nickelodeon.... They crashed and died since they had that live Splat... and the one before it too. Slime Time Live was it?

I DEMAND A RETURN TO THE REAL DOUBLE DARE! >>

Eihwaz
Jul 31, 2004, 11:12 PM
On 2004-07-31 20:55, Tingle wrote:
Dont forget these cartoons have alot of hidden stuff in them too! Stuff bout War, and alot of things CN has to censor cause its so... out there! XD

Yeah, like the old Looney Toons and stuff were REALLY racist. One showed Bugs Bunney handing out grenades disguised as ice cream to Japanese people, calling them an offensive name. >_>;

They couldn't show a baby chicken coming out of an egg, becuase it looked like a striptease.

And of course, lots of it was propagandish.

Sayara
Jul 31, 2004, 11:24 PM
MgM is the best on Racist Jokes. Like alot of Explosions guarenteed a Racist Pop. While MgM was very Racisty/Random...

Looney Tunes had alot of inside jokes only them olf folks would get!

Solstis
Jul 31, 2004, 11:29 PM
On 2004-07-31 21:24, Tingle wrote:
MgM is the best on Racist Jokes. Like alot of Explosions guarenteed a Racist Pop. While MgM was very Racisty/Random...

Looney Tunes had alot of inside jokes only them olf folks would get!

Shows you how the times have changed. Sorta.

Sayara
Jul 31, 2004, 11:38 PM
Yeah. Cartoons back then tried to fit in with the times.

Now we keep getting FUTURE THIS and FUTURE that. And things all non realish-ness. And if they tried to keep with the times it would most likely get censored. (Since theres nothing left GOOD to talk about http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif )

anwserman
Aug 1, 2004, 12:00 AM
On 2004-07-31 15:04, Armok wrote:
Why watch tv when you can go to FKL and indulge in all the brain dead activity you want.

Agreed.
And if some of that brain dead activity pisses you off, you can yell at the creator endlessly.

Or, you can contribute to the brain dead activity all you want. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

I'll stop now.

Tycho
Aug 1, 2004, 01:31 AM
I dislike American TV.. come on, commercials every 5 mins and all those tell sells? Why don't people here realize that's just... bad.

Normally I'd like anime, but now I'm here in the USA all I watch is family guy and futurama.

I. Hate. Dubs.

Sheesh, they can't even pronounce the few untranslated names right.

Outrider
Aug 1, 2004, 02:51 AM
I never get a chance to watch anything unless it's late at night and I have nothing to do, so I only catch Adult Swim. I've always had a thing against Cartoon Cartoon Fridays, though, as all the new Cartoon Cartoons have been terrible, and they have the nerve to repeat the entire set.

I should probably get around to watching Dragonball GT on Toonami at some point, though. Though I'm past my fanboy days of Dragonball, I should see GT just for closure... or something. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Rainbowlemon
Aug 1, 2004, 03:18 AM
As long as I have Scrubs, I'll stay [temporarily] sane http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

I used to LOVE Animaniacs - that was the best cartoon ever, and livened up English saturday morning TV, along with Taz http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Primeval
Aug 1, 2004, 03:24 AM
All the retro shows kick ass (ie the ones 1996 and before)
On a different topic, theres only one exception I give Nickeloden, and that is Patrick Starr from SpongeBob... gotta love the pure, raw, stupidity http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Graptakular83
Aug 1, 2004, 03:50 AM
My opinions:
I believe cartoons as a whole have been steadily declining. Saturday morning (and weekday afternoons) were at a peak during the 90's. Back then, i always had to switch channels constantly to switch between 2 channels to watch two great shows at once. Tiny toons, animainiacs, freakazoid, darkwing duck, gargoyles, x-men, spiderman, batman (the fox one), ninja turtles, sonic (satam), pirates of dark water, the tick, beast wars, batman beyond. Those were my shows right there. They may not have been "hardcore" like some anime, but heck, i was young, i didnt watch cartoons for boobs and blood.
As for OG cartoons, itd be hard to show those today, thanks to nagging parents whod rather not see tom smoke cigs or bugs cross dress and kiss men. I liked those, because the reflect a different era and its culture.
I dont care much for "recent" cartoons as i couldnt help but notice an increase of fart joke and butt humor (cow and chicken, ripping friends, ect)
Anime is always awesome, its anime, you cant help it, but im also older, so i like older cartoons as well. Now ill watch for boobs n blood.
The only new US cartoons ive not been totally disgusted or bored by are spongebob (random, insane humor), teen titans (same reason), and that life as a teen robot girl one (cant help it, its cute).

And yeah, family guy is the best thing ever.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Graptakular83 on 2004-08-01 01:52 ]</font>

space_butler
Aug 1, 2004, 06:06 AM
stop complaining about cartoon network already! you dont know how good it is compared with the uk version.we have all 4 channels in my house (cn, cn+, boomerang and toonami)and there is nothing new and watchable on them. it was good back when cnx first launched, because there was cowboy bebop, outlaw star, some thing about batmans daughter and pretty good movies, but ever since then its been heading down into shit. you wanna watch something good on it over here? then youd better be awake at 4am when they show thier hour of anime repeats, tenchi and outlaw star...maybe gundam wing but i doubt that. there is one anime show on that is even half decent over here and thats arc the lad on scifi at 5am. its like no-one gives a shit about good tv anymore, because even all the science fiction stuff i always used to watch is finished, and all but stargate will never be seen again. i swear if i see another fucking reality tv programe im gonna go and bomb the fucking tv station or something.

Kadavreski
Aug 1, 2004, 07:01 AM
yes...we don't have adult swim. at all.

no anime. at all. nothing. at all.

its horrible how ther uk get neglected, isn't it
*points at nintendo* all because we didn't do what they wanted us to do?

we have to have a 600k connection and winamp just to watch flcl in england....but you don't hear us complaing.

still,i love xialin showdown.

Shattered_weasel
Aug 1, 2004, 12:18 PM
On 2004-08-01 04:06, space_butler wrote:
stop complaining about cartoon network already! you dont know how good it is compared with the uk version.we have all 4 channels in my house (cn, cn+, boomerang and toonami)and there is nothing new and watchable on them. it was good back when cnx first launched, because there was cowboy bebop, outlaw star, some thing about batmans daughter and pretty good movies, but ever since then its been heading down into shit. you wanna watch something good on it over here? then youd better be awake at 4am when they show thier hour of anime repeats, tenchi and outlaw star...maybe gundam wing but i doubt that. there is one anime show on that is even half decent over here and thats arc the lad on scifi at 5am. its like no-one gives a shit about good tv anymore, because even all the science fiction stuff i always used to watch is finished, and all but stargate will never be seen again. i swear if i see another fucking reality tv programe im gonna go and bomb the fucking tv station or something.

I would rather watch reruns of anime than the shit they put on now.

Yea I think Cartoon Cartoon Fridays should die. I think to my self ooooo it's time for Case Closed time to go watch. Turn on the TV and there is some annoying fat guy and an even more annoying screechy voiced chick. Not cool.

But you know that the little kids probably love these shows and it is also the summer so they are gunna do the 13 hour long stints.

Brahm
Aug 1, 2004, 09:28 PM
On 2004-07-31 23:31, Tycho wrote:
I. Hate. Dubs.

I will rip you apart until you change that statement. Dubbed shows are HILARIOUS... Especially MXC on Spike TV. Great show a bunch of Japanese people being complete morons, hahah... Well Back to CN.... plainly speaking... IT SUCKS ASS!!! My god they got rid of the best shows. .hack//sign(MY FAVORITE) Adult swim only got rid of one show that was good i can see why is FLCL(not enough episodes...6?)at least Adult swim took over saturdays.. they now have to take over fridays... Man thats poor excuse for funny......CN is down the toilet since they got rid of old saturday... they shoulda at least moved it to friday. Oh yea another GREAT show was Ruroni Kenshin. Japanese Samurais KICKING ASS... CN dont know quality shows... Adult swim on the other does....except for Lupin the 3rd...

Outrider
Aug 1, 2004, 09:56 PM
On 2004-08-01 19:28, Brahm wrote:

On 2004-07-31 23:31, Tycho wrote:
I. Hate. Dubs.

I will rip you apart until you change that statement.

Meh. Some people are so caught up in watching "pure" anime or whatever that they don't realize dubs are a heck of a lot better than they used to be.

I can think of several dubs that are quite fine, if not even better than the Japanese versions.

Link00seven
Aug 2, 2004, 01:19 AM
I feel bad for kids today...

They're growing up on complete and utter shit in the TV World. Granted I may only be 15, but I at least got to see the end in the good old programming CN and Nick provided.

I go back and watch both those networks now, and it doenst take me long to change it...

Vroomfondel
Aug 2, 2004, 01:47 AM
I was wondering if its not the cartoons that have changed; it's us.

To test my little hypothesis, I watched some knd and other crap.

Nope. It definitely wasn't us.

Although on that nicktoons TV channel thats sepereate from nickolodeon, they play Rocko's Modern Life and some other shows back from the Golden days... ahh nostalgia http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

What I really need is Rocko's modern Life on DVD.

Ness
Aug 2, 2004, 08:59 AM
Heck, not the the amine on CN is good anymore (damn, I missed Yu Yu Hakusho again), whith the few exceptions I made earlier. As far as I'm concerned, the Gundam series was dead after Gundam Wing. I can't believe they took Kenshin, one of the best animes ever aired on CN, to put up more episodes of Dragonball and Gundam Wing.

Of course you have to remember that CN doesn't cater to teenagers and that's why most of their shows are so crappy.

Eihwaz
Aug 2, 2004, 10:30 AM
On 2004-08-01 19:56, Outrider wrote:
Meh. Some people are so caught up in watching "pure" anime or whatever that they don't realize dubs are a heck of a lot better than they used to be.

I can think of several dubs that are quite fine, if not even better than the Japanese versions.

Subs have a quaint feeling to them, and it can be fun to hear the original Japanese voices. But I like dubs, and most of the dubs I've watched have been great. Cowboy Bebop and FLCL have superb dubs. In fact, I could even say that I like the English dub for Bebop more than that Japanese one. o_o

space_butler
Aug 2, 2004, 10:34 AM
On 2004-08-02 06:59, Ness wrote:

Of course you have to remember that CN doesn't cater to teenagers and that's why most of their shows are so crappy.

and yet when they launch a channel to cater to teenagers and young adults it lasts about 2 months, and despite it having large amounts of good programs it becomes the festering shitheap known as toonami

Solstis
Aug 2, 2004, 10:42 AM
On 2004-08-02 08:30, Eihwaz wrote:

Subs have a quaint feeling to them, and it can be fun to hear the original Japanese voices. But I like dubs, and most of the dubs I've watched have been great. Cowboy Bebop and FLCL have superb dubs. In fact, I could even say that I like the English dub for Bebop more than that Japanese one. o_o

My preference usually goes with which version I heard first.

For example: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, to me, loses the "mystique" when dubbed.

But yeah, the voice actors for Cowboy Bebop and others did great jobs.

Outrider
Aug 2, 2004, 12:42 PM
On 2004-08-02 08:42, Solstis wrote:

On 2004-08-02 08:30, Eihwaz wrote:

My preference usually goes with which version I heard first.

For example: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, to me, loses the "mystique" when dubbed.

But yeah, the voice actors for Cowboy Bebop and others did great jobs.

I, uh... I didn't even realize that Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was dubbed. In theaters it was subtitled.

And I was pretty much just talking about anime. I don't really watch too many live-action foreign films that are dubbed over, so I can't vouch for their quality.

More on topic, I'd just like to point out that if anybody has loads of extra channels, Toon Disney has become one of my new favorite channels due to the shows it has. Gargoyles, anyone? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Sord
Aug 2, 2004, 01:16 PM
well, in my opinion, almost all the hanna-barbarra shows are sheet (can't curse on here, blasted filter) I would much rather watch tom and jerry or bugs bunny. Why I will agree that most shows on CN today are crap, I also believe they were crap to begin with. The only ones I actually like (both new and old) are

Dexter's Lab
Adult Swim (pretty much everything on there)
Megas XLR (geez, everyone disses it for being american anime look-alike, but do they actually watch the show?)
and uh, can't really think of anything else

and pretty much everything before that, including cow and chicken, jhonny bravo, ed edd & eddy, ect. I never like in the first place. I fail to see how a girlish cow that reeks of stupidity, a chicken that's a punk, yet also reeks of stupidity, and a stupider devil who hates pants that ALSO REEKS OF STUPIDITY can be entertaining.

Solstis
Aug 2, 2004, 02:03 PM
On 2004-08-02 11:16, Sord wrote:
well, in my opinion, almost all the hanna-barbarra shows are sheet (can't curse on here, blasted filter) I would much rather watch tom and jerry or bugs bunny. Why I will agree that most shows on CN today are crap, I also believe they were crap to begin with. The only ones I actually like (both new and old) are

Dexter's Lab
Adult Swim (pretty much everything on there)
Megas XLR (geez, everyone disses it for being american anime look-alike, but do they actually watch the show?)
and uh, can't really think of anything else

and pretty much everything before that, including cow and chicken, jhonny bravo, ed edd & eddy, ect. I never like in the first place. I fail to see how a girlish cow that reeks of stupidity, a chicken that's a punk, yet also reeks of stupidity, and a stupider devil who hates pants that ALSO REEKS OF STUPIDITY can be entertaining.

I agree (again? has hell frozen over?) with you Sord.

Cow and Chicken was the dumbest crap ever to grace a network. If I wanted a bunch of stupid fart jokes and naked junk, I would watch South Park, now wouldn't I?

Yes, much reekage going on. I guess, if you don't mind your mind receding into a little corner being unused while watching television, Cow and Chicken is for you.

Eihwaz
Aug 2, 2004, 02:43 PM
I've also watched a few episodes of Teen Titans. It's not too bad for a preteen, "dark", team-based action superhero thing. It's REALLY anime-ripoffish, but it's amusing, not horribly rage inducing.

Most of the so-called "Cartoon cartoons" suck horribly. Johnny Bravo is REALLY lame. "Hahaha, it's so funny to see a muscle boy act stupid". Cow and Chicken was UBER lame, at least it's gone now...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eihwaz on 2004-08-02 12:50 ]</font>

EJ
Aug 2, 2004, 08:49 PM
Cow and chicken was like a ripoff of Ren and stimpy expect it was tone down alittle. The only good show wealth watching on Cn IMO are code:Lyoko, yu-yu hakusa (sp?), wolf rain, teen titans, and case close. I would say Inuyasha but I already seen every ep in the original jps so http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Outrider
Aug 2, 2004, 10:19 PM
What the heck is this Megas show I keep hearing about? I am SO lost.

Also, I refuse to watch Teen Titans, basically because of the reason it was made. The cartoon was made to coincide with the release of the new Teen Titans comic book, which was created by cancelling Young Justice (one of my favorite comics), taking all its characters, and pretty much screwing them all over. So, yeah, I'm just bitter. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

But this Justice League Unlimited sounds pretty darn cool, so I guess that makes up for it?

Brahm
Aug 2, 2004, 10:49 PM
Well until like 2 years ago, Nickelodeon was good, they had the best shows like Ren and Stimpy, Invader Zim, Rockos Modern Life, and alot of stuff. Invader was probably and alwawys will be my favorite.. that show is so hilarious. CN's old toonami was good with Yu Yu Hakusho and Kenshin, DBZ sucks, and whatever new dragon ball they have now. Although On Adult Swim last night, Stroker and Hoop seems like its gonna go somewhere.. it was pretty decent for a pilot. Cartoons are going in a downwards spiral and in the next couple of years its going to go straight down.

space_butler
Aug 3, 2004, 06:09 AM
i hate you all...*points to my last post*

out of all the 'kids' channels, thats:
cartoon network
cartoon network+
boomerang
nickelodeon
nick replay
nicktoons
nick jr
trouble
trouble reload
fox kids
fox kids +
all 4 disney channels
pop
pop plus
toonami

the only things worth watching are shaman king, megaman and invader zim...everything else (hell probably even those) is just a repeat or a load of shit *glares at that mary kate and ashly shite*

Eihwaz
Aug 3, 2004, 12:30 PM
Outrider: Mega XLR (I think that's what you're talking about) is a new kind of Transformers show. It's quite a bit different from the old ones, but it's somewhat amusing. I'm not sure of the story, only seeing a few eps, but I think it involves a woman from the future who brought a Transformer robot to fight aliens to save Earth. However, a weird duo of guys (a fat blonde dude who loves video games, cars, and slushies, and a weird pale guy) get it, and customize it. The team then fights aliens, etc.

Can someone who actually watches this show confirm this? >_>

DruidMettool
Aug 3, 2004, 12:55 PM
I find it hilarious that people complain about "Stupid American Anime rip-offs". I love seeing the utter fanboyism and stupidity that one person can generate.

Who says we can't borrow their art style? Do people hate it because it's not badly voiced-over and has the "SUPER KAWAII CHIBI DESU KYA KYA ^_______^;;;;" feel to it? And don't even get me started on people who complain about Dubs Vs. Subs.

Yeah, i'm sure some of you don't like Teen Titans and Megas XLR because of it's "American Anime" appearence. Yeah, you know who you are. Well, you can go to hell.

digigram
Aug 3, 2004, 01:53 PM
I don't like megas XLR because I personally think it is horrible.

Outrider
Aug 3, 2004, 02:29 PM
On 2004-08-03 10:30, Eihwaz wrote:
Outrider: Mega XLR (I think that's what you're talking about) is a new kind of Transformers show. It's quite a bit different from the old ones, but it's somewhat amusing. I'm not sure of the story, only seeing a few eps, but I think it involves a woman from the future who brought a Transformer robot to fight aliens to save Earth. However, a weird duo of guys (a fat blonde dude who loves video games, cars, and slushies, and a weird pale guy) get it, and customize it. The team then fights aliens, etc.

Can someone who actually watches this show confirm this? >_>

Oh, that thing. I remember seeing the end of the original cartoon short it was spawned from.

Ok, nevermind then.

Tycho
Aug 4, 2004, 06:02 PM
On 2004-08-03 10:55, DruidMettool wrote:
I find it hilarious that people complain about "Stupid American Anime rip-offs". I love seeing the utter fanboyism and stupidity that one person can generate.

Who says we can't borrow their art style? Do people hate it because it's not badly voiced-over and has the "SUPER KAWAII CHIBI DESU KYA KYA ^_______^;;;;" feel to it? And don't even get me started on people who complain about Dubs Vs. Subs.

Yeah, i'm sure some of you don't like Teen Titans and Megas XLR because of it's "American Anime" appearence. Yeah, you know who you are. Well, you can go to hell.

I dislike Teen Titans. If you wanna flame people about the sub-dub stuff; be my guest.
May I point out the voice thing isn't about the.. quote thing you stated? You're being quite narrow-minded, I think that quote could apply to shoujo only.
Face it, in general, dubbed voices just suck. I should know, trust me on this, Dutch dubs suck even worse, so do French and Italian.

And what's good about Teen Titans? It's kiddy, who needs the it's-even-crappy-for-a-ripoff reason to point out it's bad.
You're acting as if kiddy stuff -would- be good if it really was Japanese. No true, there's lotsa childish bad anime I dislike.

<font size=-1>Except for some of that Shoujo.. But what else than mindless optimism is gonna keep me sane.</font>

I'd rather watch non-subbed Japanese reality stuff than the fake or dubbed anime. If you want to rip it off, AT LEAST try to do it right. Instead of making it look ridiculous in the process.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tycho on 2004-08-04 16:02 ]</font>

InfernoNR7
Aug 4, 2004, 06:42 PM
Stuff I miss from CN (though this is late in the thread):
RK (Rurouni Kenshin [even though they killed the dialogue compared to the manga])
The OLD Dexter's Lab, which was quite good (the new one is as, or more, brainless than KND)
The Gundam Series
Some of the other anime's that I was originally made to go to bed before they came on (doesn't matter anymore, so I wish they'd show them again).
Jetsons and Flintstones etc. Original SD.

Outrider
Aug 5, 2004, 03:05 PM
On 2004-08-04 16:42, InfernoNR7 wrote:
The OLD Dexter's Lab, which was quite good (the new one is as, or more, brainless than KND)

I'm fairly sure uh... jeez, I wish I remembered his full name and how to spell it, but the guy who created Dexter's Lab and Samurai Jack, and worked on Powerpuff Girls... I'm fairly sure he left Dexter's Lab for the last season to work on Samurai Jack. Everything from the art style to the voices was changed for that last season, and it just wasn't as good.

digigram
Aug 5, 2004, 03:18 PM
genndi or something or rather tartakovsky

InfernoNR7
Aug 5, 2004, 03:23 PM
On 2004-08-05 13:18, digigram wrote:
genndi or something or rather tartakovsky

Yea, I think that's it. Quite unfortunate actually, the new one is like (or at least reminds me of) Ed Edd and Eddy, but the show wasn't created to be like that.

Outrider
Aug 5, 2004, 03:33 PM
On the plus side, I think he's done a fairly decent job with Samurai Jack, though I rarely catch it.

And those Clone Wars shorts that he did were good fun, if you were to ask me.

InfernoNR7
Aug 5, 2004, 05:16 PM
Yea, I enjoyed Samurai Jack thoroughly (sp?), but it was almost impossible to know when the new episodes would come on or when they'd show episodes 1-3 for 3 weeks Oo.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: InfernoNR7 on 2004-08-05 15:17 ]</font>

Eihwaz
Aug 5, 2004, 06:16 PM
I believe his name was Gendy Tartakovsky.

They've shunted all the classic, old-school stuff to Boomerang, which sucks. I shouldn't have to pay extra for some of the best cartoon ever, when I already have Cartoon Network.

Thankfully, CN doesn't show cartoons from Disney. Jesus Christ, the last thing this planet needs is a channel that shows both Recess and Kids Next Door. >_<