PDA

View Full Version : My Catch 22

anwserman
Aug 1, 2004, 02:01 AM
I'm losing control on my eating habits.
I'm starting to gain weight after losing so much... I currently clock in around 202.5, which is still quite a bit less then 260.

But, I'm trying to look at everything in my life right now... and I can't help but think that it is hopeless. I exercise each day, but the thing is, I want to lose weight, and that good things don't come easy in life.

But, I can't help but look at every single thing in this life. Why must I be one of the few people who does give a damn about eating a hamburger, french fries and with ice cream for dessert and feel guilty about it? Why?

It bothers me because... guess what, I work at a fast-food resteraunt that makes hamburgers, french fries and ice cream, and I see so many people pull through every single day ordering nothing but fattening food... my coworkers eat it, the customers eat it, and I'm all alone feeling like the weirdo eating a banana, an apple and some yogurt that I brought from home... craving ice cream or a hamburger. And I do fine for a couple days, and then I just can't resist anymore.

And I don't know if I can blame myself for being on a diet - my research has shown that the average human being needs only about 2,000 calories a day. So, by watching what I eat, I have been going at around 1,200 calories a day plus exercise - my standard 2 hours of walking. I drink lots of liquids (water and diet pop) so there aren't any worries there. But, I can walk past a bakery and just feel hungry even if I've just eaten, or working at the DQ I can sit there and smell the french fries cooking.

Plus the fact that after 19 years of being raised on a combo of standard American cuisine (not good), with fast-food thrown in (DQ has been in my blood since I was a fetus), I'm trying to be healthful and it isn't working now. Why? Because I'm rejecting foods such as Doritoes and Oreos and candy and sugar that I was raised on since I was a tot and replacing it with healty foods. Now that I think about it, we always harassed one of my friends because his family ate nothing but health foods when we were growing up - stuff that I'm trying to eat now. He has no urge to eat junk food, while I do hardcore.

Why.. this battle sucks so much I just want to explode. It doesn't help that I work at a fast-food resteraunt, and it doesn't help that my family secretly wants me to stop losing weight because "I'm too thin." So, no support there really... even though I've gained weight now.

So, what do I do now...
Go to bed and cry myself to sleep, for tonight anyway. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Edit: I don't starve myself... or perhaps I do. But irregardless, my meals I do consider "sensible"... like for breakfast, I could have two pieces of toast, with a bowl of yogurt with a cup of dried sweetened cereal mixed in. For lunch of that same day, I could have a fried egg sandwich (in no-calorie cooking spray) with an apple, and for dinner have a chicken salad.. and as a snack, a couple rice cakes or animal crackers or popcorn or almost anything. But, it just isn't enough to resist the urge to indulge in a huge burger or snack on Oreos or cheesecake or ice cream in addition to everything else for said day.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: anwserman on 2004-08-01 00:11 ]</font>

ABDUR101
Aug 1, 2004, 02:33 AM
Resisting the urge to eat is part of the diet. You'll no doubt go through feelings of "withdrawl" from food you've had all your life, and expecially if you're around it often. Working at a fast food place is all but setting yourself up for torture, and I know it's not like you decided to work there after the fact, but working there prolly isn't helping.

No need to feel like a weirdo because you're eating lite, heh, beleive it or not, most people don't notice shit like that. If anyone does say something to you about it, let them know they have too much time on their hands if they're making comments to you about what you're eating, expecially if they know you're on a diet.

As long as you're not eating and then going to throw up what you just had, and you're not feeling fatigued, tired or just wiped out throughout the day, you're not starving yourself. Just remember that everyone's body is different, some people can go on less food than others.

Hell just the other day, I never ate until I got home from work at 5pm. I never eat breakfast, and we've been working through lunch all week. The last thing I had to eat was a small plate of left-over spaghetti the night before at around 1am. No doubt I had the shakes and was light headed when I finally sat down to eat, but thats just how I can go without food, it just comes down to me not thinking about it. I might think about food around lunch, but I just redirect my thoughts to work and poof, I end up just forgetting I'm hungry and off I go.

Some people can go longer than others, some people have worse effects from not getting the required food throughout the day, everyone is different. If you're doing fine throughout the day, keep at it.

darthsaber9x9
Aug 1, 2004, 07:06 AM
On 2004-08-01 00:33, ABDUR101 wrote:

If anyone does say something to you about it, let them know they have too much time on their hands if they're making comments to you about what you're eating, expecially if they know you're on a diet.

or slap em with the banana skin http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

but anyway, a couple of points that alot of people dont seem to take into consideration with dieting.

firstly, give yourself a cheat meal every now and then. say once a week. decide on monday what day, what meal(dinner/lunch/breakfast etc) and then on that time go and eat whatever the hell you want. you want a hamburger with 3 portions of fires? go have em. ice cream sandwich? go for it! think of it as rewarding yourself for sticking to the diet.

and another point, if you don't already, start cooking your own meals!honestly, there are so many nice foods that are healthy, its unbelieveable!

my final point, that you need to watch CARBOHYDRATE intake as much as FAT. simple carbs(sometimes knonw as processed carbs) promote fat storage. so as the day goes on, cut down on your carb intake. and before you go to bed, dont eat lotsa of carbs, like toast(wholegrain bread is fine) or a bowl of cereal etc. eat fruit or somethng.

and my er...other final point, GOOD LUCK! hope it all works out

Armok
Aug 1, 2004, 07:30 AM
The key to being thin is the mentallity.

You don't enjoy a non high fat diet. In the end this means your will power is going to eventually break unless you change this fact and start going for low fat meals you do enjoy.

You need to find some recipes you attually enjoy eating. Low cal weight lose meals/drinks are shit that keep your addiction to the fat/sweet taste going don't eat them. They are no way to lose weight and keeping thin. Dump those diet drinks they worse for you anyway. Excise longer and harder. Also try training your body into a 2 meal day as adbur says.

Solstis
Aug 1, 2004, 11:29 AM
From what I've read, he does appear to be taking in carbs, most likely in the same amount as fats/proteins.

Since I don't know anything about you except for what's on the message boards, ever try healthier versions of what you crave?

Aren't Boca Burgers supposed to be good? (then again, some "healthy" alternatives actually are unhealthy)

darthsaber9x9
Aug 1, 2004, 12:39 PM
ya know you can have hamburgers, just make them yourself!

KaFKa
Aug 1, 2004, 01:01 PM
that atkins stuff is bullshit, just so you know.

although if you're taking in copious amounts of carbs, cutting down would be a good thing regardless.

but anwserman seems like he is just not sticking to his diet.

Aredhel
Aug 1, 2004, 02:26 PM
On 2004-08-01 11:01, KaFKa wrote:
that atkins stuff is bullshit, just so you know.

although if you're taking in copious amounts of carbs, cutting down would be a good thing regardless.

but anwserman seems like he is just not sticking to his diet.

Agreed.

Methinks Atkins was designed for lazy house-wives who are too busy poppin' out children to work or even exercise at that...

Give your body the carbs it needs to exercise, then cut yourself off from them afterwards. Avoid sugar, blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah don't eat bacon blah blah blah stay away from fatty foods blah blah blah...

Get into the habit of eating what's healthy for you - you prob already know what that is - so just do it already!

EXERCISE!!!

Work your ass off! LITERALLY!

Don't just bring it to the point of breaking a sweat, your muscles should be sore the next day! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

And don't expect instant results! When you first begin an exercise program, it's VERY common to stay at your weight, maybe even gain a little, but in time all the muscle mass you're earning will push out all that fat and, as long as you keep up a good diet and exercise regimen, you will put off the weight in the healthiest manner possible. Forget depriving your body of necessary carbs, do it the right way http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

buy my new video! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

navci
Aug 1, 2004, 02:41 PM
I really don't know much about diets.
So all I can really say is, stick to your goal. You can do it! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif I will give you moral support from here!

*tosses around pink pom poms*
Don't give up!

Armok
Aug 1, 2004, 03:13 PM
Answer man its been too long to start giving into temptation of burgers again. Think of the shit in them the foul taste of blouted greese.

darthsaber9x9
Aug 1, 2004, 03:30 PM
just so you know, i wasn't taking an atkins style loof at things. basically saying dont eat the carbs before bed, and try to eat complex carbs. im not saying NEVER eat carbs, and its not "dont eat nesecarry(sp?) carbs", theres are different types of carbs, and carb timing isnt really bullshit for gaining/losing fat

EDIT: I think the weight thing can be discarded if you are trying to put on muscle as muscle weighs more than fat. if you are just trying to get slimmer, then yeh use weight as an indicator. but dont think that all the fat will be "pushed out" by muscle. you will just get bigger overall and you will still need to lose the fat to see the muscle. and

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: darthsaber9x9 on 2004-08-01 13:34 ]</font>

anwserman
Aug 1, 2004, 07:22 PM
I walk two hours a day people, about 6+ miles. I don't sit there, and my legs are muscular. But, I think I can pinpoint where I started to go wrong, by incorporating junk food into my diet.

Ya know, trying to eat a poptart for breakfast. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Fits the calories, but my body just craves the sugar afterward. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

But, I need to continue on. And like my parents said tonight when we went out to dinner (Smoked trout salad with fat-free raspberry almond dressing, yum.), that the waitress was checking me out completely. And I didn't notice at all. So, that did improve my mood when my parents commented on that... hehe.

I'm going to start going back to the gym, starting tomorrow. Haven't gone in two-three weeks, mostly due to burnout and fear of hating the place come fall, or when college starts. Better now then later, essentially.

I have so much to look forward to, and so much that I have left to do. It is just a long battle that I can think of. I do also think, however, that it will be much easier on me come this fall when college starts and when my job ends. Why? College classes from 10-3, and then go to the gym from 4-8.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

Just that this summer is starting to wear thin and it is driving me nuts.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: anwserman on 2004-08-01 17:23 ]</font>

navci
Aug 1, 2004, 07:25 PM
You can do it. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif It makes you happy, do it!
*tosses around pink pom poms again*
Go you go! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Solstis
Aug 1, 2004, 10:00 PM
Is Anwserman teh sexy now? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Keep it up!

*gets hit by something pink*

Hey! Watch it!