PDA

View Full Version : wtf is up with YOU

Kadavreski
Aug 8, 2004, 05:08 PM
what the fuck? i get an american AIM me, and, as i'm english, he says top of the morning to ya!

what the fuck? i don't live in essex, nor am i from 350 years back.

why is it ALL american sitcoms have an english person who sounds like our fucking queen?

IS SHE THAT IMPORTATNT THAT YOU MUST FAKE HER VOICE AS YOU THINK EVERYONE ENGLISH HAS A STIFF UPPER LIP?

i'm sorry, but in bournemouth, we all have very normal, regular voices...

and its the same with austrailians...why must everyone say "g'day mate?" to them?

fuck off! there is no such thing as stereotype, we're all different! so piss off! you don't know me!

SpikeOtacon
Aug 8, 2004, 05:27 PM
Kiz and I used to joke about this all the time, by coming up with bogus phrases that sounded like real 'british' terms. I was able to convince a few people that they, indeed, existed. It is sad, but some people just can't figure out that not everyone talks sterotypically. I guess they just think it's funny.

Just take it in strides and if possible, return the favor.

Tycho
Aug 8, 2004, 05:50 PM
Mechgun_Mike, people think the accent sounds cool. As do I. Don't see it as an insult. And how could you blame the makers of the sitcoms to think more? If they could, they wouldn't make sitcoms. Don't expect too much of it.

And the Brittish queen, if they were to copy it off of ONE Brittish person, she wouldn't be that unlikely as an example.

darthsaber9x9
Aug 8, 2004, 06:03 PM
HAHA. i have heard that most american girls find english accents sexy. but i wouldn't know http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Azbats
Aug 8, 2004, 06:04 PM
Erm.. I'm English too and "top of the morning to ya!" is actually Irish!!! Where the hell you got Essex from I'll never know. But at least Essex is in England and not bloody Ireland I suppose!

Scrub
Aug 8, 2004, 06:46 PM
I take it you didn't say it directly here, but was also offended when I said 'Tally Ho!'?

I am sorry Mike, I didn't mean it to insult you. It was more of a joke than anything.;_;

Scrub
Aug 8, 2004, 06:47 PM
On 2004-08-08 16:04, Azbats wrote:
Erm.. I'm English too and "top of the morning to ya!" is actually Irish!!! Where the hell you got Essex from I'll never know. But at least Essex is in England and not bloody Ireland I suppose!

I told Mike it was Irish, and he didn't believe me.

Scrub - 1
Mike - 538953490

InfernoNR7
Aug 8, 2004, 08:23 PM
On 2004-08-08 16:47, Scrub wrote:

On 2004-08-08 16:04, Azbats wrote:

I told Mike it was Irish, and he didn't believe me.

Scrub - 1
Mike - 538953490

Wow, I thought he would know it was Irish. He probably gets mad when I say "'ello mate".

tai_EX
Aug 8, 2004, 08:48 PM
Since i am from mixed backgrounds, i too have to dodge the sterotype. I consist of Italian, Britsh, Austrian, German, Cherokee, and Japanese. often times since i look amost full blooded italian, wannabes will come up to me and say "ay you, do you watch the sopran'as?" or " Ian! wheres the canolis'!?" ( you'll have to say it in a fake New York accent to get it right) yes actually i do watch the sopranos.. and i on occasion will pick up italian pastries.. but it doesnt mean for a living i own a strip bar called the "ba-da-bing!" i go out and shoot people for cash.. and eat pasta with a glass of red wine every night.. no actually i have one girlfriend, i have a respectful job, a nice kind and loving family that doesnt try to kill me if i say the wrong thing, i often times eat McDonalds more then pasta, and dotn have enough money to afford real red wine (grape juice looks pretty damn close if you ask me! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif ).. so dont worry about it Mike, it happens here in America too, all i would have to say is just shrug it off and smile. while on the inside you know they are a complete idiot.

darthsaber9x9
Aug 8, 2004, 08:52 PM
be proud to be british!

and tai, if you haven't done so, check your PM's!!

Bradicus
Aug 8, 2004, 09:03 PM
Suck it up, Mikey. Hell, the English got one of the best steriotypes out there. Irishman - drunken brawler, American - gun-nut, Englishman - Sophisticated.

See what i mean?

anwserman
Aug 8, 2004, 11:09 PM
On 2004-08-08 19:03, Bradicus wrote:
Suck it up, Mikey. Hell, the English got one of the best steriotypes out there. Irishman - drunken brawler, American - gun-nut, Englishman - Sophisticated.

See what i mean?

Nah, American: Idiot craving oil and world domination.

*sigh*

WraithVerge
Aug 8, 2004, 11:10 PM
On 2004-08-08 19:03, Bradicus wrote:

See what i mean?

I think the American sterotype viewed worldwide is 'Ignorant' or 'media-driven'... but that's just me http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Least you're not stereotyped as a bucktooth, farm ownin', shotgun shootin', black-person hatin', sister screwin' Southerner... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

All I'm saying is that I feel your pain, Mike.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WraithVerge on 2004-08-08 21:13 ]</font>

Atax
Aug 8, 2004, 11:25 PM
On 2004-08-08 15:08, mechgun_mike wrote:
and its the same with austrailians...why must everyone say "g'day mate?" to them?

As much as that pisses me off, it ranks no where near as bad as yanks who try and talk with an Aussie accent to make themselves look cool or try and fit in with Aussies. Pisses me off to no end.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Atax on 2004-08-08 21:29 ]</font>

Kadavreski
Aug 9, 2004, 01:13 AM
On 2004-08-08 16:46, Scrub wrote:
I take it you didn't say it directly here, but was also offended when I said 'Tally Ho!'?

I am sorry Mike, I didn't mean it to insult you. It was more of a joke than anything.;_;

no, Scrub, i didn't mean you....i have people doing it all the time....

and newsflash people:
i am irish...well, i'm not in ireland anymore...

unfortunatly, we all either have pretty gruff voices (men) or, i dunno, young voices...

also, Atax i agree, faking an accent REALLY pisses me off, unless its inpersonated (done for some act)

sorry everyone, i was pissed at the time of writing that....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mechgun_mike on 2004-08-08 23:13 ]</font>

Mystil
Aug 9, 2004, 08:18 AM
Well the british do have very nice accents.

Kadavreski
Aug 9, 2004, 09:56 AM
yes, but we don't have that accent nearly every american program makes out...

sorry, but most non european countrys think we all talk like posh farts...and i can't take much more of "english sayings"....

we are all very different to that...except winsor...

Shattered_weasel
Aug 9, 2004, 03:22 PM
I <3 English accents. But alas I was cursed with my south accent. So yea it does get annoying when people talking to me usually go and start saying "Yall" and "Aint". Which alas again I use both of those.

digigram
Aug 11, 2004, 04:06 PM
mikes point, in a nutshell, is that american and non-brit media are ignorant of geography (by a lot) and dialects and because of the media being this way, society follows. Example: New Zealander in the US sounds somewhat australian to the generally cultureless American, they sound like aussies and not being cultured and having an IQ lower than 100 makes a person say stupid shit like "g-day mate", most of the time to break the ice. Here is where this method is flawed, that above example is as wrong as going up to a gangsta and saying, "yo, mothafucka"

I know my regions clearly, I have never said g'day mate or no worries or top'o'the etc etc etc... I work regularly with friends in holland and huddersfield UK and would rather say "i'm a jackass" than calling a frenchman a "bloke" just because they are near england.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: digigram on 2004-08-11 14:08 ]</font>

Kadavreski
Aug 12, 2004, 03:45 PM
On 2004-08-11 14:06, digigram wrote:
mikes point, in a nutshell, is that american and non-brit media are ignorant of geography (by a lot) and dialects and because of the media being this way, society follows. Example: New Zealander in the US sounds somewhat australian to the generally cultureless American, they sound like aussies and not being cultured and having an IQ lower than 100 makes a person say stupid shit like "g-day mate", most of the time to break the ice. Here is where this method is flawed, that above example is as wrong as going up to a gangsta and saying, "yo, mothafucka"

I know my regions clearly, I have never said g'day mate or no worries or top'o'the etc etc etc... I work regularly with friends in holland and huddersfield UK and would rather say "i'm a jackass" than calling a frenchman a "bloke" just because they are near england.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: digigram on 2004-08-11 14:08 ]</font>

thanks...you illustrated my point....and with that, i'll just say that this thread is worthless, as i just block people senclessly.