PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here a DJ? Or know anything about DJing?

FunkyMcGunk
Jun 19, 2002, 08:37 PM
I would like to become a DJ, my roommates are starting a band and if I can get everything together, I'm the DJ. So I just wanted to know if any of you have any experience in DJing. Any tips for a beginner, anything I should know that would be important. You know.

Here CLICK ME (http://www.djstore.co.uk/cgi-bin/allreviews.pl?session=76192618&item=numfunkmaster) is a link to the DJ Kit that looks like it would be a good deal for a beginner, and the reviews on the page seem to think the same. All input is appreciated.

Kent
Jun 19, 2002, 09:52 PM
Don't use crappy music on your turntables.

FunkyMcGunk
Jun 19, 2002, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the info, but, what is crappy music, in your opinion?

Kent
Jun 19, 2002, 10:02 PM
Rap, pop, and country.

ABDUR101
Jun 19, 2002, 10:10 PM
..in other words, don't play what Kent doesn't like, or you suck. :

FunkyMcGunk
Jun 19, 2002, 10:11 PM
So what do you like?

ABDUR101
Jun 19, 2002, 10:15 PM
I like non-mainstream music. Mostly j-pop and j-rock, but that doesn't mean everything else sucks. Different people like different things, and it's not for me to say "Doood!! That sucks ass!".

Play what you want man.

KodiaX987
Jun 19, 2002, 10:46 PM
Put me down for trance and techno! Those are the DJ's best friends! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif And a bit of new age doesn't hurt too.

BWS-1
Jun 20, 2002, 06:14 AM
If you can make your own music, then you rock, but you get popular by giving people what they want, and that requires a bit of investigation ... or plain luck if ask me -_-

Ziggy-san
Jun 20, 2002, 10:41 AM
Aaa, only use rap if you're making fun of it, keke ^^

googles
Jun 20, 2002, 02:14 PM
i like rap, rock, punk, and techno

_xX_Frosty_Xx_
Jun 20, 2002, 03:01 PM
Yeah, Rap sucks! Rock is the best sounding music in the world! Everything besides rap is great! SHEEIT

Ian D
Jun 20, 2002, 10:36 PM
Yeah man, just play what you think sounds good. I mean, everyone has tastes and I guess the DJs taste is supposed to be hip and shiet.

FunkyMcGunk
Jun 20, 2002, 10:42 PM
Ok, I guess I'll finally clarify my use of the term DJ. Alright, I know you people are thinking of the person on the radio or somebody that plays music at prom, that is a DJ, but the DJ I wanna be is one in a band. Like Linkin Parks DJ, or Incubus' DJ. Ya know what I mean? With the scratchin' and the stuff. Ok, but I'm glad that you people like everything but country and rap.

Archlight0
Jun 21, 2002, 02:43 AM
The thing about working tables for a band and being a DJ can be a little different. Unless you REALLY practice with working your tables and your faders in unison you're gonna sound like a boob.

As far as what you mix on those fancy tables play around, a lot of bands like Linkin Park and limp biscuit *shudder* dont even use vynil for a lot of songs their DJs mess with their stuff post production and just make looking busy on stage or mix in some off the cuff stuff live. So unless you're doing hip-hop instead of this rap-rock stuff get some stuff going on your PC.

Here's an idea of what you'll see most DJs go for from my experience. Old funk from the 70's, Instrumental Scores and movie OST's, some new age, and in some cases OLD jhonny cash style country. Rave Djs all have collections of their Techno stuff and just fade in and out of what's playing.

g0th_gUrL
Jun 21, 2002, 02:55 AM
awww, a band? how cute!!

How exactly does one learn how to DJ? I mean, i took piano lessons and there's sheet music for that, and actual notes.. but is DJ'ing just one of those instruments that totally break all the rules? I mean, I doubt you can play chords and notes by scratching a vinyl. Enlighten me http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I used to be in a band <remembers> I was the bassist, it was easy. Our style was like pantera/deftones/old metallica. Ah, those were the days.

Archlight0
Jun 21, 2002, 03:24 AM
I always looked at record scratching like a percusive instrument and a sampler all rolled into one. Scratching segments of pre-recorded music bascially makes it un-recognizable so it becomes percussion since all sense of tone is also lost, but I can also play back pre-recorded material as it was originally intended soooo you can plop in little samples from the record at your discretion.

aww yeah, good old days in a band . . . all Bahaus, sisters of mercy style . . . damn we looked silly, and sounded awful.

blitzer03
Jun 21, 2002, 04:54 AM
ALL THE WAY WITH HEAVY METAL!!!!!

Shotie
Jun 22, 2002, 12:32 AM
Ironically, if you wanted to be a radio DJ, you'd need to go to college and study mass communication before most stations would hire you, or get REALLY lucky and just totally have the voice and the know-how.

My husband is a Master's Student in Communications and some places still won't hire him because he doesn't have the voice they want or need right then and there.

Most radio DJs are fairly highly educated, and the job is typically more involved than most people think.

donkeybeatz
Jun 22, 2002, 01:20 AM
cool!
now for my opinion on this.. lol
umm i checked the system you're gettin and its alright.. i mean it is numarks =P
only bad thing here is that they're belt drive! oh no! what u wanna look for is direct drive turntables. technics are the standard right now last time i checked. i've used technics and they're great... its only like 10 years old! and it works like new! but now since everyone is into the remixing scene down here.. i'm using cd players.. not just any cd players but some professional ones. actually there are some cd players that behave like turntables! scratch and everything! check out the pioneer cdj1000s if u dont believe me. its hella expensive though. but umm if u wanna go with the numark pack, its ok. good system to start out with. when u get more money or something.. get a new headphone! i don't think the ones they provide will cut it. then again i might be wrong. =P
as for me being a DJ... i'm not the type who plays for bands and stuff..
people hire me to play at night clubs. what i do is mix songs together (i spin breakbeats by the way). i also produce my own stuff and remix a couple of trance songs into breaks.
my advice is if u wanna do this kinda stuff u gotta be dedicated. do some research. practice like 3 hours a day (well u can do less but thats how many hours i practice =P). play what u like. and try alittle experimenting. u might develop your own style and ya'll might become a band that stands out. and most of all keep trying!

oh yea.. hiiii funky mcgunk!
--d-_-b Dj Donkey

FunkyMcGunk
Jun 23, 2002, 10:32 PM
Hey DONKEy, thanks for your expertise(I is sleepy), I've heard about direct drive being better, but those are expensive, and I've also heard about the cd turntable thingys. If there were any ready to play DJ package out there for what I'm going for, do you think there is one in particular that you would recommend? THANKS A LOT!

donkeybeatz
Jun 24, 2002, 08:12 AM
umm i never tried any scratch type cd players... my bro has an American DJ Pro Scratch 1 (which runs for like $400 each i think) and he says its alright. then again he just started like a couple of months ago.
theres a dual pro cd player that American Dj has called the Digi-Pro. it's a dual cd player that lets you hook up a turntable to it. the CD and the turntable work in-sync. soo umm you can scratch the CD's by using a turntable. i heard it works pretty good.
as for as kits go... there should be some kits somewhere out there. =
you can check http://www.pssl.com
the have some pretty nice kits on there. get a free catalog while you're at it. =P
oh yea, you can buy a video called "Turntable Technique: The Art of the DJ"
it shows you the basics and advance techs of scratching.

--d-_-b Dj Donkey

flyrobinfly
Jun 24, 2002, 12:00 PM
Just don't forget to pucker up like this guy in the heat of the moment:

http://www.bruteprop.com/gallery/img/bpm.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: flyrobinfly on 2002-06-24 10:01 ]</font>

Buffy
Jun 24, 2002, 12:16 PM
For effective scratching (as opposed to just playing songs), you'll need pretty good hand-eye co ordination, and a decent grasp of musical theory (if only to understand the rate at which you're scratching). That's not completely necessary but it will definitely help.
Technics SL1200 used to be the standard, I'm not sure if they are now? Effective and easy to use, though http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
CD mixing is a gimmick, in my opinion. If you're going to do it, use vinyl. It's more flexible, it allows broader frequencies ... oh, and it looks cooler too! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

If all you're trying to do is be the guy out of Linkin Park then I agree with a previous poster - don't bother. All that stuff can be added in before final mixdown : samplers can supply most scratching effects without the hassle.

~B.

FunkyMcGunk
Jun 24, 2002, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the info everybody. The reason I asked about Linkin Park is because I just wasn't sure what he used, and I'm not sure what I'm talking about with this stuff yet. Hey DJ Donkey, I signed up for that free catalog http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Any more info would be helpful also, so don't think that if you have something helpful to say that I wont read it, because I'm trying to soak up all the info I can. THANKS!

FunkyMcGunk
Jul 1, 2002, 12:09 AM
Ok, I went out and bought the Numark Battle Pack. I like it I got it 2 days ago, I'm not good at it yet, nurrrr, but I enjoy trying to make "music" with it. Does anybody have any recommendations for sample records that have good percussion samples on them? or instrumental music, like classical, I think that'd be cool. As always, all info is appreciated.