PDA

View Full Version : How is Dark Cloud?

CodeName62
Jun 20, 2002, 06:53 PM
Hey there. I was wondering how the game Dark Cloud is? I think I am going to get the game soon. There are several reasons that are prompting me to get get this game. First off, it's now part of the Greatest Hits section. As a result of this, it is now only $20. Next, Playstation Magazine gave it a 5 out of 5 discs. Finally, there are some features in the game that intrest me. However, before I purchase it, I wanted to hear some insites on it from you guys. I was reading the blurb on the back of the game, and from what I understood, you have the ability to build your own custom villages on the game world. After you are done building it, you are able to go in and interact in it. Can any body tell me more about this? Thanks in advance.

Last_Saiyan
Jun 20, 2002, 07:01 PM
Ummm, it depends on whether you've played FFX and Skies of Arcadia yet or not..or if you played PSO. If you had played any of these 3 games then you won't get the full play value of what is already watered down and outdated. The high score and the greatest hits was achieved because it was one of the only decent RPG's at that early stage of the ps2. Think 3D Vagrant story with less than half the quality story wise and your swords break 50 times faster meets a little bit of Azure's dream..town building.

QueenBee
Jun 20, 2002, 07:10 PM
It sucks xcept 4 the town building...

Ian D
Jun 20, 2002, 07:13 PM
On 2002-06-20 17:10, QueenBee wrote:
It sucks xcept 4 the town building...

Yep, I'd say that sums it up quite nicely.

CodeName62
Jun 24, 2002, 01:29 PM
Well I own all three of those games; Final Fantasy X, Skies OF Arcadia, and Phantasy Star Online. I too was considering if playing these games, would have any effect on my judgement of Dark Cloud. In the end, I decided not to get Dark Cloud. Well, atleast not for now. I'll most likely check it out some other time. Instead of getting Dark Cloud, I decided to got GTA3. So far I like GTA3. It's a game of pure fun. The radio stations crack me up. Well once again, thank you for your insites.

Falkon
Jun 24, 2002, 02:33 PM
I just bought Dark Cloud yesterday. I think it's really good, and heck, it's 20 bucks. Think of it this way. You spend at least 4 bucks to see a movie, which is two hours long, so if you spend 10 hours playing the game, you got your moneys worth! ^_^

CodeName62
Jun 24, 2002, 04:42 PM
On 2002-06-24 12:33, Falkon wrote:
I just bought Dark Cloud yesterday. I think it's really good, and heck, it's 20 bucks. Think of it this way. You spend at least 4 bucks to see a movie, which is two hours long, so if you spend 10 hours playing the game, you got your moneys worth! ^_^

Thats an iteresting way of looking at it. I'll have to keep that in mind. As I said above, I'll check out Dark Cloud later on. I don't think that the game would be horrible. It had to of gotten good ratings for a reason. However, I have been wanting to get Grand Theft Auto 3 for while now, so I decided to play it safe, and get it.

Alisha
Jun 24, 2002, 06:03 PM
imho the game sucks and the whole town building thing gets REALLY repetitive about halfway through the second town

TeamPhalanx
Jun 24, 2002, 06:20 PM
If the repetitive gameplay of PSO doesn't bother you, the repetitive combat of Dark Cloud shouldn't either.

QueenBee
Jun 24, 2002, 07:21 PM
Im so glad u choose GTA3 over Dark Cloud. Dark Cloud is one of the crappiest RPG's i had ever played. God damn weapons always break...it just plain sux. I will say this...like i have said on other forums...If u want a GREAT rpg...look no further than Morrowind...That game is awesome...

ABDUR101
Jun 24, 2002, 09:40 PM
On 2002-06-24 17:21, QueenBee wrote:
If u want a GREAT rpg...look no further than Morrowind...That game is awesome...

I agree, I bought it for the X-box. I have a lvl 14 custom class Argonian with a Dreugh shield, currius and helm, bone mold pauldrons, one bonemold bracer, an orcish bracer, orcish greives. I also have a frost glass sword, glass halberd, glass staff, glass sword(no magic), glass helm and two glass pauldrons(left and right). I also have a full set of dwemar armor and weapons(warhammer, sword, war axe, spear, halberd, etc) but the dwemar stuff is too heavy and doesn't do as much damage as my glass does. Too bad glass gets damaged easily :

I can't even sell any of my glass stuff, I haven't found any merchant that can cut the price in half and still be able to afford it.

For some reason though, the past two days, the game will literally freeze randomly. Today it did it about 5 times within 3 hours of play, and it's really pissing me the hell off. I don't even want to play it anymore because I explore alot, collect rares and go into Deadric and Dwemar areas, if it's just going to keep freezing every 20-35 minutes, what the hell's the point of playing?

I doubt it's my X-box though, all DVD's and other games play fine. :/

Speaking of which, is the story good to Dark Cloud? Some games are worth playing just for the story.

Falkon
Jun 24, 2002, 11:02 PM
It's a little quirky, but I like it.

Evil guy does evil ceremony to revive evil genie who almost blew up the earth once, evil guy and evil genie go around blowing stuff up, and this spirit guy (I forget his name?) seals away the things before they get blown up, and Toan has to go around and rebuild the world.

Yeah, that sounds really lame. But it's good when you're playing.

ABDUR101
Jun 24, 2002, 11:04 PM
I remember the commercials. All the things required to build the towns are in capsules, you go around getting the capsules to put everything back into place. Interesting concept, just wanted to know how it was orchestrated. Thanks falkon.

QueenBee
Jun 25, 2002, 12:39 AM
Abdur...i have a lvl 30 Nord, and i can answer prolly any questions u have. As far as selling stuff goes, i go 2 the talkin mudcrab merchant...yes its a drunk talking mudcrab. He carries 10000 every 24 hours and is pretty easy 2 get 2. I have a stronghold built and i use it as a tropy case. I have all my rares out in the open and on display. I can tell u where some really good things r if u r willing 2 get them. See i am a ruthless killer, i kill any1 and steal from any1. So if u want any info or have questions, PM me and i will do the best i can 2 help ya out...

ABDUR101
Jun 25, 2002, 01:05 AM
On 2002-06-24 22:39, QueenBee wrote:
Abdur...i have a lvl 30 Nord, and i can answer prolly any questions u have. As far as selling stuff goes, i go 2 the talkin mudcrab merchant...yes its a drunk talking mudcrab. He carries 10000 every 24 hours and is pretty easy 2 get 2.

Yeah, let me know where he is. I use the map that came with the game all the time because it's very damn accurate. It's how I found most of my stuff, finding daedric shrines and dwemar ruins.

I have a stronghold built and i use it as a tropy case. I have all my rares out in the open and on display.

I don't keep things unless I need them, but the dwemar weapons and all the glass(and better) items I keep just for kicks. I'll wear all that armor when I'm a high lvl just to mess around in.

I can tell u where some really good things r if u r willing 2 get them.

Ah, no spoilers! hehe, I like coming across new things in all the shrines and ruins I visit. I'm working my way around the outer edges of Morrowind. The deepest I've gone so far is almost at the ghost gate, and Ald-Ruhn. The whole Caldera region.

See i am a ruthless killer, i kill any1 and steal from any1.

My nephew used his khajit like that, and then he did'nt have anyone to buy his stuff! haha

So if u want any info or have questions, PM me and i will do the best i can 2 help ya out...

The talking crab will do hehe. I just need to know where I can sell some of my higher priced items. I have a Winged Twilight soul in a Greater soul gem(the orange pendant one), stole it from that woman in the Mage's guild on the top floor, used my Recall amulet and went to the other side of town(where my mark spell is located), paid the $200 bounty for my head and got away with a $60,000 item, muahahahah.