PDA

View Full Version : "I could have done it better..."

WraithVerge
Aug 16, 2004, 03:36 PM
This just irritates me to no end. Someone gets done reading a book and they'll say "This guy can't write." or "I could have written it better."

Bullshit. Fuckin. Bull. Shit. 98 percent of the people I hear say this have never written a story outside of English class. I seriously doubt these people would be able to write a small, single, short PARAGRAPH let alone a novel.

I have a respect for artists be it painters, sculpters, authors/writers, musicians, etc. It takes TIME, DEDICATION, INSPIRATION, COHERENCE (writing and music mostly), so much other things to produce the end result.

I'm having many time issues and writer's block with my stories, so I have IMMENSE respect for those that complete a novel(s). It is not completely easy to do this type of stuff.

I don't care if you thought the book sucked complete ass. Your opinion is yours and mine is mine, but FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS PLEASE don't tell me you could have done it better when you can't even PRONOUNCE half the words in the book!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WraithVerge on 2004-08-16 13:36 ]</font>

agenevil
Aug 16, 2004, 04:34 PM
Yeah, but everyone wants the story to change for their own tastes. Even if they really liked it, they always want more.

Everyone's a critic.

And OH MY GOD, making music (or any art) is so tedious! I guess once I lear neverything about Reason2.5, it will be much easier, like today I just found out how to do advanced filtering and panning and keys, but just working on this idea my friend abandoned, man! I liked it in the first place, I'm just adding effects, drum variations, the works.

Anyways, its always either suggestion/complaint/one-upperishness.

I take suggestions and all ,but I hate hate HATE when people totally ignore the fact that I like a different style then they do, this isnt broadway music, it doesnt have to have a question/answer format.

edit: forgot to ask, is your stuff online? lemme seeeeeee

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: agenevil on 2004-08-16 14:53 ]</font>

WraithVerge
Aug 16, 2004, 05:14 PM
On 2004-08-16 14:34, agenevil wrote:
Yeah, but everyone wants the story to change for their own tastes. Even if they really liked it, they always want more.

Understood, but it doesn't give anyone grounds to say 'I can could do better' when that person doesn't even LIKE that subject matter/type of music/style of art!

I like a lot of stories I've read and music I've heard and at times I wish there was something more maybe different, but I don't have the mindset of "Hey, I could do this a whole lot better than this guy/girl!" It just isn't respectful and would probably anger the author.

edit: forgot to ask, is your stuff online? lemme seeeeeee

If you mean music, I don't compose music. Sorry... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

If you mean stories, none of them have been submitted to anything online let alone be completed, but they are in the works.

agenevil
Aug 16, 2004, 05:25 PM
Well, I knew you didn't do music.. .but OK, anyways, is your stuff like Sci-Fi or Romance or evil disturbed or what?

quote:

Understood, but it doesn't give anyone grounds to say 'I can could do better' when that person doesn't even LIKE that subject matter/type of music/style of art!

I like a lot of stories I've read and music I've heard and at times I wish there was something more maybe different, but I don't have the mindset of "Hey, I could do this a whole lot better than this guy/girl!" It just isn't respectful and would probably anger the author.

unquote

yeah like my music tech teacher.

Yeah, i'd like to see some farmer, etc. make a better horror movie than, say, whatever one he just watched... unless it was the blair witch project.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: agenevil on 2004-08-16 15:28 ]</font>

WraithVerge
Aug 16, 2004, 11:23 PM
What started out as a rant is now turning into OT material... ah well. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

is your stuff like Sci-Fi or Romance or evil disturbed or what?

My current one is that of dark: a mystery/murder/suspense. I don't know how well it will turn out since I do not see myself as the 'mystery' writer, but I believe I can refine it enough to make the readers keep on guessing at the ending.

opaopajr
Aug 17, 2004, 06:25 AM
yes, true, sometimes people blithely dismiss someone's effort as trash and say they can do better.

but there are many who can make better http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

just because someone is published doesn't mean their work is any good. artistic creations still have to deal with the world of business, which is renowned for being unfair in pushing mass produced drivel compared to quality work. just the history of the industry. hence thank god for critics to call crap what it is, otherwise the huge deluge of crap we have now would be a flood of biblical proportions. because if someone can churn out product at a lower cost with the same profit, they will.

if you enjoy any quality piece of art that pushes the envelope thank the critics for being the plague of malcontents that spurs the creative to greater heights. bitchy cattiness in the right measure makes better products, use the power of the lashing tongue wisely my child http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Sord
Aug 17, 2004, 06:37 AM
On 2004-08-16 15:25, agenevil wrote:

Actually, if it were a professional author or something, they probably wouldn't give a damn. It's there job to make what they want, and hope the audience likes it, if a few people don't but the overall crowd likes it, they most likely don't care.

Anyways, it's always easier to correct something already made, then to start it. Also, you have to take into acount opinions as someone said. It's like giving a romance novel to sci-fy novel reader, chances are he isn't gonna like it, and say what would have to be put in it for him to like.

Also, I find that most people aren't dissing the whole book, like they might just be dissing the ending. While they may not be able to physically write down what they think is a better ending, that does not mean they can't think of a better ending. People can be very limited by their vocabulary, that's why just about anyone could paint and call it art, there's no logic or boundries to it, it's free will. So while they can't actually write better, they can think of an ending that they think is better.

As for sculptutres and murals and such, that's all expression. They might not call that art, because it doesn't appeal to them, and what appeals to them is what they consider art, and it is natural for someone to be able to make what one likes because of the desires to have it. So they might see more art in a little clay pot they made, instead of some grand ice sculpture, it's all a matter of perception and opinion.

I guess basically what I'm trying to say here, is just lighten up a bit, if they don't like it, and they believe they can do better because they like what they can do, that's perfectly human, you are probably guilty of it to, you might not even realize it.

dude3282
Aug 17, 2004, 04:25 PM
On 2004-08-17 04:25, opaopajr wrote:
yes, true, sometimes people blithely dismiss someone's effort as trash and say they can do better.

but there are many who can make better http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

just because someone is published doesn't mean their work is any good. artistic creations still have to deal with the world of business, which is renowned for being unfair in pushing mass produced drivel compared to quality work. just the history of the industry. hence thank god for critics to call crap what it is, otherwise the huge deluge of crap we have now would be a flood of biblical proportions. because if someone can churn out product at a lower cost with the same profit, they will.

Try looking into the music industry sometime soon, it's insanely crazy and unfair to artists. People who take music seriously don't get record deals, it's all a matter of is this marketable? There are probably bands out there that can make better music than half of the stuff on the radio, but they can't get a record deal because their musical style isn't "in style".

Armok
Aug 18, 2004, 02:06 AM
Only time I ever claimed that was after terminator 3 but then again a dog could have pissed on that script, the film been shot in B&W and pikachu been the villian and it would have been better.

Sagasu
Aug 18, 2004, 02:23 AM

Everyone's a critic.

You mean,

every one can be a bastard

while few can be a critic

It also takes skill to find flaws in jewels, an without these talents.. well writing wouldn't just be the same. I'm no professional editor, but I see mistakes as they come, and it is many, many times more effective to tell the writer,

"You could have done it better, and this is how"

instead of

"It could be better."

I would like to put up a small defense for the demoralizing bastards, like myself, out there that actually manage to help people when they critique. Other than that, all those other fools that give us a bad name can burn.

Evergea
Aug 18, 2004, 05:05 PM
Fictionpress.com and the thousands of writers there come to mind. I've read quite a few of the original ficiton, some I'm pleased at, some I just yawn at.

And when I feel I can most certainly do better, I'll often write it into a story. It's called inspiration.

Pretty words and action are two different things.