PDA

View Full Version : Grr?

Aredhel
Sep 7, 2004, 12:02 PM
So what is it with all of these video games based on crime lately? I picked up the most recent EGM I could get my hands on today, and the cover story is that of the video game adaptation of the 80's film Scarface. I saw the movie and really didn't like it all that much. Good for me. However, what I fail to understand is how it has attracted such a loyal fanbase. It really wasn't that great of a movie and besides, why would so many idolize a scumbag drug-dealer like him anyways? The same goes for movies like The Godfather, Goodfellas, etc... Even the Grand Theft Auto games - why do so many people have such a sick fascination with crime lords and drug-dealers???

Ok, so Scarface is the tale of a man who was given a second-chance in life to make something of himself. He does, but by exploiting elements of our society which seem to focus on the dispersal of illegal substances. What are so many people going to do with this white, powdery substance? Snort it up their nose. wow. What a hero. He wasn't even one of those cool anti-heroes we like so much. He was just a petty drug-dealer who, subsequently, had a part in the addicition of thousands of people for his own personal gain. So why all of the praise?

Do some people just wish they could be drug-dealers or something? I wouldn't imagine it's that hard to get into the business if you're really trying. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

But really, what is the fascination here??? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Aredhel on 2004-09-07 10:03 ]</font>

Sharkyland
Sep 7, 2004, 12:33 PM
I dunno, probably it's a way for people to escape by using their bad side...?

Armok
Sep 7, 2004, 12:41 PM
Gangster films are popular with people because they show a way of life totally unfamiliar to peoples normal everyday goings on. There lifestyles are exciting to watch due to the constant risk of death and violence.

Anyway if you dislike drugs being dealt with in a positive way there are also many that portray it in a bad light such as watching City of God, Requiem for a dream (seriously this films disturbing) and Traffic.

opaopajr
Sep 7, 2004, 08:03 PM
because power is alluring. and the freedom it grants is intoxicating.

as Kissinger has been quoted before "Power is the ultimate aphrodesiac."

people want power. men or women, want to be close to it, want to emulate who is currently getting it, willing to do anything to get it.

one of the reasons money is such a motivator. it's a raw, concrete, quantified representation of the abstraction called power. hence the more money you have the more power you are accorded.

the lust for power cares not about good or evil, law or chaos, it cares about only itself. it is a false god in itself, and a very tempting one at that.

once you begin reading power dynamics you quickly become quite adept at understanding the world around you. politics, economics, business, history, sociology, psychology, etc. so much of their studies pivots around the issue of power.

welcome to earth, you can check out, but you can never leave... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Aredhel
Sep 7, 2004, 09:54 PM
Ok.... so people like watching movies and playing video games about a fictional person who has power? I guess it makes sense, but I've still not been given a good reason as to why people have these innate urges to kill hookers in a digital world and still be considered sane. Do some people have some unconscious urges to lash out agressively at women or something? I can understand that you're just testing out stimulus in an experimental reality in which you cannot be punished for but... come on! I see people who idolize gang members and drug lords and crime in general - this reckless disregard for humanity. It's no wonder we waver so often as a race of progression - we're too caught up in the intrinsic urges that heed the megalomaniac within us all.

But yeah - that game is going to fscking suck http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Solstis
Sep 7, 2004, 10:18 PM
On 2004-09-07 19:54, Aredhel wrote:
Ok.... so people like watching movies and playing video games about a fictional person who has power? I guess it makes sense, but I've still not been given a good reason as to why people have these innate urges to kill hookers in a digital world and still be considered sane. Do some people have some unconscious urges to lash out agressively at women or something? I can understand that you're just testing out stimulus in an experimental reality in which you cannot be punished for but... come on! I see people who idolize gang members and drug lords and crime in general - this reckless disregard for humanity. It's no wonder we waver so often as a race of progression - we're too caught up in the intrinsic urges that heed the megalomaniac within us all.

But yeah - that game is going to fscking suck http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Haven't most of us already admitting to be insane, or at least halfway there?

As Opajisijfisjid mentioned, the allure of power (whether building a city or stabbing people), is intoxicating, and gives us commoners a bit of a release.