PDA

View Full Version : The trouble with PSO

Evergea
Sep 14, 2004, 07:37 PM
Let's face it, hacking and cheating ruined PSO. PSO was meant to be played a certain way, but there was too much leniency (sp?) in the game. Given the chance for total freedom, people will abuse it.

How so? There are laws in many countries that will punish those who write malicious viruses. That in itself prevents many people from writing them - save a few who do it anyway. I imagine because of the fact they have the power to write a virus. Maybe that's why people hack/cheat? Because they can?

What happened to morals? Yeah, I like to work hard for any goal. Admitted I don't mind cutting a few shortcuts, but if something is just handed to me. What's the fun in that? Maybe it's just me.

Me and a few friends got together and said, what the heck, we'll make some characters and play a cheated game. What happened? It got old after five minutes, I had a great deal of trouble pushing myself to the dragon. I ended up deleting the character.

I'm thinking if there was harsher punishments on PSO, a good majority of people would stop hacking/cheating.

I'm miffed because I finally find a Lavis Cannon, only to see several other ?SPECIAL WEAPONS pop up enough to raise eyebrows. Yep, the team leader had a hack to increase the rate rare items were found. Totally ruined my mood at the time. The only thing I could do is leave the game, and the person would keep on cheating.

What really ticks me off is that most of the good players left because of all the cheating. Instead of intelligent players, I'm often stuck gaming with losers who have a cheat device active and have only played the game for a few days. They know nothing of the game but already have a Soniti, Spread Needle, Red Ring and Electro Frame.

I tip my hats off to cheaters, they robbed PSO from its true potential. They are probably the reason the US DC servers were closed in the first place.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Evergea on 2004-09-14 17:43 ]</font>

Solstis
Sep 14, 2004, 08:54 PM
Of course, the reason the servers died had NOTHING to do with the DC dying itself.

The PKing etc was bad, but not bad enough to deter us true DC playas (and V1 was free... I'll stick up with a lot for free).

However, I do feel at least a smidgen of your pain and sympathize.

That being said, in the time of a month or two, you (hopefully) will find this matter to be completely inconsequential, and thus of little matter in your life.

I'd be lying if I said that PSO related rants don't annoy me, but then again, I would be ranting right along with ya if I still played.

KodiaX987
Sep 14, 2004, 09:45 PM
The DC servers were closed becuase they were free, and thus an expense. After a while, you need to cut on the expenses. I don't think many people were left there anyways.

Zelutos
Sep 15, 2004, 12:24 AM
On 2004-09-14 17:37, Evergea wrote:
Let's face it, hacking and cheating ruined PSO. PSO was meant to be played a certain way, but there was too much leniency (sp?) in the game. Given the chance for total freedom, people will abuse it.

How so? There are laws in many countries that will punish those who write malicious viruses. That in itself prevents many people from writing them - save a few who do it anyway. I imagine because of the fact they have the power to write a virus. Maybe that's why people hack/cheat? Because they can?

What happened to morals? Yeah, I like to work hard for any goal. Admitted I don't mind cutting a few shortcuts, but if something is just handed to me. What's the fun in that? Maybe it's just me.

Me and a few friends got together and said, what the heck, we'll make some characters and play a cheated game. What happened? It got old after five minutes, I had a great deal of trouble pushing myself to the dragon. I ended up deleting the character.

I'm thinking if there was harsher punishments on PSO, a good majority of people would stop hacking/cheating.

I'm miffed because I finally find a Lavis Cannon, only to see several other ?SPECIAL WEAPONS pop up enough to raise eyebrows. Yep, the team leader had a hack to increase the rate rare items were found. Totally ruined my mood at the time. The only thing I could do is leave the game, and the person would keep on cheating.

What really ticks me off is that most of the good players left because of all the cheating. Instead of intelligent players, I'm often stuck gaming with losers who have a cheat device active and have only played the game for a few days. They know nothing of the game but already have a Soniti, Spread Needle, Red Ring and Electro Frame.

I tip my hats off to cheaters, they robbed PSO from its true potential. They are probably the reason the US DC servers were closed in the first place.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Evergea on 2004-09-14 17:43 ]</font>

What was the name of that cheater who had the rare rate cheat? I'd like to talk to him and give him a peice of my mind! I've worked my butt of finding rare items with endless hours of mind-numbing runs through various parts of the game. *thinks of all the hours wasted sitting there and playing the game....then realizes what it was all for and smiles* http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Evergea
Sep 15, 2004, 09:00 AM
Well, to put it mildly, the EU and JP DC servers are still up and running (alive and kicking is another matter). There has to be more of a reason for the US DC servers to close then. I'm placing my bets on the majority of troublesome hackers/cheaters being US players.

Yeah, EU is completely free for v1 and v2, so I don't understand why that one wasn't taken down first. Sega EU doesn't strike me as a place with a lot of money. The JP ship was payed for by both versions, but I noticed US players were mostly v2. So the US ship had to have money coming in.

The cheater? His name was DVX. Fact is, while this might be something that won't bug me a month down the line, I'm sure something like this will happen today again.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Evergea on 2004-09-15 07:04 ]</font>

Zelutos
Sep 15, 2004, 01:52 PM
Imma go kick that guy's butt!!!

Murdercall
Sep 15, 2004, 02:36 PM
There are laws in many countries that will punish those who write malicious viruses.

But, tbh, viruses destroy thousands of dollars worth of equipment which makes it much more serious..

Mystil
Sep 15, 2004, 03:00 PM
Sometimes I wonder do I fall under this category. I'm just a 'dupe' user. But no one can really tell, cause of what I use. My anti merge is legit, and my mag is legit, but my units are dupes, and well my umbrella is a dupe. However, I'm not fixed up in anyway to ruin someones experience. Although I have reached the understanding that it would piss someone off who spend days and days looking for something that only took me and hour to trade for.

And back in my legit days, I did alot of piping myself. I'm also immune to 'hating' cheaters. I've played the PSO series for almost 5 years. I can't say my time in this was ruined by my 'kin'. Version 1 is the only EXCEPTION. CK is not cool. FSOD is not cool. This is what ruins it for me. ST did nothing, and while they COULD have done something, they didn't. They are the blame for your legit sorrow.

Some of the best players I've known and quitted have fallen to the same fate as I did, because hey, EVERYONE ELSE CHEATS. Might as well join the crowd. Besides when you are legit, you have no real peace, a cheater is going to be slightly peranoid when they are around a legit player. Why? Cause here comes unprovoked insults.

Punishment? I'd say the ultimate punishment this game needs, is the abolishment of rare items period. I think RED BOX is treated a bit too sacredly by people.

My dear it is futile to get angry over something that will not end, and only in the long run escalate. "We" good cheaters will get our punishment you oh so want to happen, when NOL, and other things begin happening -again. And then I will quit the game and PSO for good.

EVERY high level player almost has a low level character that they can tweak. My FO is tweaked cause my FO shares my HUs shield and units, when I'm not playing my HU. If I were to use my lumi field, people would think its not legit, even though I spend 90+ days looking for it during the time I needed it.

To understand the mind of a 'cheater'.

Here are things that irk me, the hacked up mags, the 300% weapons, multiquipped, the things that are truely outside of the games perimeters that do ruin experience.

Have you ever actually considered people just cheat to make the game for them just a thing of leveling with thier friends and having fun without having to go through the stress of spending days, months, years for a single freaking rare? These are the ones you shouldn't hold a grudge against. Stress = anger, and people rant all the time about not finding something. I don't need this kind of mental strain.

It's ashame however that there are more bad cheaters than those I call "modest" ones, so yes, I guess we all need to go to hell. Btw almost ALL of the known ones here are modest. Thier intentions were true I think, making sure things don't get leaked out and whatnot. Remember that jealousy leads to corruption and this is what led to end of version 1.

I dont even know why I'm doing this now. Defending a faction for about 4 years now, and 2 1/2 years in PSOW, that I know is not 100% full of bad people with the SAME reasons for cheating, you have individuals such as yourself make it like we are the end and end of all that began with PSO. I'll say this much, you legit players are NOT in the minority as you might think.

As for things getting boring after trying a 'cheat'. This only happens to people who have played straight for a very long time.

I do believe this is the last time I post something like this. Even with the futility of complaining over something that wont end, it is also futile for a cheater to believe there will ever be an understanding. You managed to in case yourselves on your own ship, and you have a good way of running off a cheater. I know, I experienced it first hand. To me, you've already solved part of the problem.

I hate vega http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif.