PDA

View Full Version : Lay off my ass.

anwserman
Sep 15, 2004, 01:52 AM
OK, this is another parent rant.
I'm 19, almost 20 years old. And, bless my mother to pieces - she's doing her job as a mother - but she needs to LAY OFF.

Two things ring out just today. First and foremost, last night Mitch and I went to a local bar to watch the Packers game, good 'ol Monday night football. I somehow managed to get in and get served (I'm only 19). Yes, I might sound ~really dumb~ right now for doing this, but we both had three beers and three shots. We bought the beers and the shots were provided everytime the Pack got a touchdown.

Yay. I've drank three to four beers fine without any nill affects and the shots were weak. We were both "happy" but speech wasn't slurred, no stumbling around and just in a happy mood.

So, we decide to leave after a while. Note, we got there around 9, stopped drinking at 10:10ish and left around 11. So, we had no booze for about an hour so it would be able to filter out of our system. Like I said before, no ill effects.

Today my mom asked how the night went last night. I didn't lie, and I said that I had no problem getting into the bar to watch the game and I had no problem getting served either. Hell, she had no problem with me underage drinking in the first place. So, she asked how much we've drank. I said we had a few beers within that timeframe. She asked what we did, and I said that after the bar we went to the Breakwall and sat there and talked and bullshitted. She asked how we got there, and I said Mitch drove. (Its a 20 mile drive.)

And she got pissed. Saying that we were drinking and driving. I sat there, and I didn't admit that we did those really-weak shots, but it was a judgement call. I felt comfortable with him driving, we both had our seatbelts on and that if I only felt happy, then he'd be affected less then me. I could have drove even. But nope, mother makes a huge fit about how irresponsible I was. Whatever, she says she isn't going to talk about it anymore since I know how she feels and that I should have been smart and just walked home. I just blow that off, we were both fine. So, I joked around and said, "Well at least we had our seatbelts on!" I laughed and smiled and everything... it was a JOKE.

Nope, she decides to run with that. I stared at her, and said, "Can't you comprehend a simple joke without going all motherly on me? Is that ever too much to ask?" Well, it quieted her up and she said she didn't want to discuss it anymore. Pleh. >_>

Tomorrow I have a test in Public Speaking, and since we're both cheap college students, Mitch and I decided to split the cost of the $70 dollar textbook. Basically, we needed to study so I went over to his house after work tonight, at about 10:15. I told my mother that I was going over there to study, which I did indeed do. So, while he was reading the book (two chapters, I read one tonight also), I read for two other classes. So, that means that I studied for three classes altogether. So, after two hours of working we decided to call it a night and just cruise around aimlessly for about 20 minutes. I get home at around 1:30. And my mom sits there and asks, "Where were you!?!"

"At Mitch's, studying."
"For that long?" in a tone of disbelief.
"Well, we decided to finish at one and go cruising for a bit."
"Oh."
"Goodnight."

... Yup, too hard to fathom me studing for a good two hours. For crying out loud... I made the Dean's List, I'm a manager at my job (though it is family owned I did earn that position), I'm a full-time college student and I do keep up on all of my homework. So yes, I'm slightly peeved when I'm babied by my mother.

*sigh*
Could have it worse though.

EDIT: Added more info to the drinking story.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: anwserman on 2004-09-14 23:55 ]</font>

navci
Sep 15, 2004, 02:00 AM
Dunno though, ... judgement calls can be made poorly.
Weak shots are still shots.
Drinking and driving is just bad in any situation. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif
No matter how little you THINK you have had.

geewj
Sep 15, 2004, 02:13 AM
I don't mean to sound like a prick here, but if you are drinking and driving, it's not your saftey that I'm concerned about. It's the person on the sidewalk who wasn't stupid enough to drink and drive.

If you make a stupid desicion and you suffer the consequences, well that's what you get. I woulnd't wish it on you, but I'm not going to feel sorry for you. But when there are other people involved who had no say in it, then you're being an ass by putting thier lives in jepordy.

A few beers and 3 week shots in about an hour is more than enough that you shouldn't be going for 20 mile drives.

Again, I'm not saying this to be mean, but it's a stupid and assholic thing to do.

trypticon
Sep 15, 2004, 02:29 AM
On 2004-09-15 00:13, Prof_Frink wrote:
I don't mean to sound like a prick here, but if you are drinking and driving, it's not your saftey that I'm concerned about. It's the person on the sidewalk who wasn't stupid enough to drink and drive.

If you make a stupid desicion and you suffer the consequences, well that's what you get. I woulnd't wish it on you, but I'm not going to feel sorry for you. But when there are other people involved who had no say in it, then you're being an ass by putting thier lives in jepordy.

A few beers and 3 week shots in about an hour is more than enough that you shouldn't be going for 20 mile drives.

Again, I'm not saying this to be mean, but it's a stupid and assholic thing to do.

He took the words right out of my finger motions on the keyboard.

Sagasu
Sep 15, 2004, 02:29 AM
While some things were immature, others were not.

Your mother will be on your case untill the day she dies, anyone is going to feel responsible for their child, despite their age.

Just a buzz is enough to fuck you over on the road. You may not be slurring, you can walk a straight line without effort, but its still enough to cut off some of your reaction time and related body responses. Now its completely reasonable to not want to walk the damn 20 miles home, but there were more things you should have done. I.E. Drink a good deal of water, and flush out your system more. Who cares if its getting late, or you want to go home; Your and saftey and that of the people around you takes priority.

I'm sure you've heard the whole song and dance from your mother, now I'm telling you to listen. So meh. I can sympathsize with you, but I sympathsize more with your mom on this issue.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sagasu on 2004-09-15 00:34 ]</font>

anwserman
Sep 15, 2004, 02:31 AM
Hey, everyone is open to their own opinions. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif
Like I said, it was a judgement call. Yes, if we would have been so hammered to the point of stumbling and falling over, I wouldn't have even considered going into a vehicle.

But, I think the whole point of the matter is that my mom still bitched at me for my possibly inapproperiate call that I made. I guess its a double-standard of sorts, she can drive home after having three (possibly four beers) without a doubt but heaven forbid anyone else does that. Hell, we both even ate before drinking and I got us a huge order of nachos while drinking.

So it wasn't an empty stomach.
It may seem like I'm trying to make excuses to cover for my behavor; I do personally believe that there was nothing wrong with our actions and that we were both rather safe.

Point of rant essentially.. is that sometimes parents need to back off. Hell, a couple months ago I let my parents know that I applied for a credit card and that it might be arriving in the mail. Well, my FYI for them turned into a nice, big and unwanted lecture about credit cards and for about a month after anything I said about a "credit card" literally turned into a lecture towards me.

*sigh*

EDIT: Error in writing.
P.S: The shots were Malibu, some vodka and orange juice. Not potent at all. Like, 1/2 orange juice. I saw them being made.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: anwserman on 2004-09-15 00:34 ]</font>

geewj
Sep 15, 2004, 03:17 AM
On 2004-09-15 00:31, anwserman wrote:
Hey, everyone is open to their own opinions. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif
Like I said, it was a judgement call. Yes, if we would have been so hammered to the point of stumbling and falling over, I wouldn't have even considered going into a vehicle.

I'm saying it doesn't sound like it was a very good judgment call.

When people are hammered, they don't feel like driving. They feel like laying down and barfing.

When people are only a little drunk. They are confident, they are reassured. They'll get in the car and might be a little slow, and that's enough to ram some person over, or hit another car.

And I'm not saying this because I think so. These are the majority of alchohol related accidents.

And if you're mom came on here talking about how she was driving drunk, but it was ok, I'd tell her she did a assholic thing too.

Aredhel
Sep 15, 2004, 09:22 AM
Yeah - a crash between 2 vehicles becomes deadly at about 40mph... think of what you'd have done to a person at 60... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_dead.gif

And what's with this double-standard shit? You are not entitled to some sort of adult consideration BY your parents... especially when you're still living with them at the age of 19. Keep in mind that they have, essentially, raised you for almost 2 decades and for all of that to go away after only a few shots, only a few stupid decisions, would be an utter tragedy, as most young deaths are. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rant.gif

I understand where you're coming from to a certain degree, though - you felt perfectly fine to drive and now you're being tracked by your worrisome mother. It's easy to think of yourself in this situation, hell - I do it all the time. But other people's perspective ssems to be determining what was right/wrong in this instance... all you have to do is listen.

Just be careful out there, man - it's really all we can do.

navci
Sep 15, 2004, 12:22 PM
On 2004-09-15 01:17, Prof_Frink wrote:

I'm saying it doesn't sound like it was a very good judgment call.

When people are hammered, they don't feel like driving. They feel like laying down and barfing.

When people are only a little drunk. They are confident, they are reassured. They'll get in the car and might be a little slow, and that's enough to ram some person over, or hit another car.

And I'm not saying this because I think so. These are the majority of alchohol related accidents.

And if you're mom came on here talking about how she was driving drunk, but it was ok, I'd tell her she did a assholic thing too.

Frink already said what I wanted to say. Evil triplets, being so quick to respond. :/

Nai_Calus
Sep 15, 2004, 10:10 PM
You're both fucking assholes. Period. You drink, you DON'T FUCKING DRIVE. I don't fucking care HOW fucking fine you fucking feel, you fucking piece of fucking shit, DON'T MOTHERFUCKING DRIVE OR LET ANYONE ELSE WHO'S BEEN FUCKING DRINKING DRIVE. DESIGNATE A _FUCKING_ DRIVER, YOU ASSHOLIC MORONIC PIECE OF FUCKING TRASH.

I used to have a friend whose fucking sister was fucking killed by a fucking drunk driver who had a 'couple of beers' and felt just fucking 'fine'. Said friend was never quite the same after that, for some reason. So pardon me if I don't see any innocence or rightness in your shitty fucking decisions at all. Someone could have died. That they didn't is no excuse for doing it. You two were LUCKY.

NEVER FUCKING DO THAT AGAIN.

Aredhel
Sep 15, 2004, 10:54 PM
...I sometimes wonder if people who are mentally imbalanced should be allowed to drive as well. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Aredhel on 2004-09-15 20:55 ]</font>

Nai_Calus
Sep 16, 2004, 12:01 AM
What, being pissed off at idiots who do the same fucking thing that got a friend's sister killed makes me mentally imbalanced? I guess you think the entirety of the memberships of MADD and SADD are mentally imbalanced too. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif They did several illegal things, and hey, guess what, some of us have been close to the consequences of people doing that kind of shit and NOT having it turn out 'OK'. If I was his mother, I'd ground him and take away his priveledges, if not kick him out of the house. Both of them. And I'd also rat on the morons who didn't card anwser. -_- Morons all around. Disgusting, dangerous morons.

Besides, the danger I present on the road comes from a lack of depth perception, and that only so much when I park. XP

anwserman
Sep 16, 2004, 01:09 AM
Lock this thread.
It is going nowhere.