PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a network...

Ian D
Jul 1, 2002, 04:08 PM
I am not sure if I posted this somewhere else in this forum or if it was another one, but anyways... how do I setup a network between two computers in different rooms (relatively close rooms, but seperate rooms)?
I do not want to have a wireless one since that is a bit too expensive, so how can I set one up with wires and stuff. Also, if you guys can tell me where to get this stuff and how much it would cost would help me a lot, but just the steps on how to set one up would do fine.

Edit: Wanted to be notified by e-mail when replied.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Y0SHI on 2002-07-01 14:17 ]</font>

Antman
Jul 1, 2002, 05:09 PM
I use a router to hook all my comps in a network. The Linksys router i use is about 80 bucks. Basically all you do is take the cable that goes from your DSL or Cable Modemto your CPU and unplug the one that goes into your CPU. Then plug that in the main spot on the router. Then you plug one of the extra wires in one of the "separator" slots on your router to your CPU. Then you do that for every comp in your house, (take the other end of the plug that goes into the CPU and plug it into one of the separators.)Thats basically it, but you also have to change the setting of your router when you get it all hooked up.
Thats basically what i did with my router. Some people say the Hub is easier but i wouldn know so i cant tell you which one to buy.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Antman on 2002-07-01 15:10 ]</font>

jazzyfox
Jul 1, 2002, 05:53 PM
The linksys you talk about contains a switch (faster version of a hub) inside it. One way you plug a separate net connect into the switch, other way the two are built in. Anyhoo.

Basically if all you want to do is have the two computers talk to share files, etc, you can get 1 Hub or Switch, two CAT5 cables, and two network cards. Pretty much just plug it all in. Or you can get one CAT5 crossover cable, and just run it computer to computer but that limits expansion.

There's a ton of guides to this sort of thing online. Just the first one I see is: http://www.homenethelp.com/

Ian D
Jul 2, 2002, 10:18 AM
Thanks a lot guys, the website is very helpful on purchasing equipment for networks.