PDA

View Full Version : PSO > FFXI

Mystil
Sep 22, 2004, 06:23 PM
Ok I didn't wont to hijack Shingos thread here, so I made a explaination, rant style.

The players in FFXI are much worst than any noob you have ever met in PSO. PERIOD. The game is better designed than PSO, but the fact is, it CAN get way more depressing, just TRYING to play the darn thing.

There is no cheating, because everything is server side. THEY monitor everything. So that stress was covered. But other things were not. Reputation, unlike PSO, matters alot in FFXI. If you don't know alot of people, you will not get very far or have alot of things.

What made me miserable was, I couldn't never make money. I couldn't never play with my friends, cause I couldn't never buy the things I needed, so I could level. And I was so tired of the assholes strutting how GREAT they think they are cause they got a lv50 or 60 character. And think it's a big deal cause it takes 5-7 hours to gain one level(yes.)

When in PSO it takes days to gain a level once you reach 150, or 160. The game isn't pick up and play. You can't solo unless you're a certain job, and you need one job to lv30, to get it. Melee users sometimes wait HOURS on END to get an invite to a party. However with PSO, you can just hop in a game, sit back and enjoy. All that damn stress and hell I experienced in that game was entirely too much for my mind to deal with.

And yes the reason why I've played EpI and II for a year and is only in my 150s is because I was playing FFXI.

What I did was, cancelled my account, uninstalled the game. Took my guides, through them in the trash, and once I find my discs, I'm breaking them. The same day I did this, I went to the mall and bought EpIII and I'm already addicted to it.

PSO is for me, and I'm not trying any other online games anymore.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Silhouette on 2004-09-22 16:25 ]</font>

Scrub
Sep 22, 2004, 06:37 PM
That's what they get when they try to take a successful Single-Player RPG and turn it into an MMORPG.

>_> That and millions of fanatics throwing them money to play it.

Shadowpawn
Sep 22, 2004, 06:51 PM
On 2004-09-22 16:23, Silhouette wrote:
And think it's a big deal cause it takes 5-7 hours to gain one level(yes.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Silhouette on 2004-09-22 16:25 ]</font>

That's insane, plus you can't solo unless you're a certain class at a lv30 (and that takes about 210 hours to get to.) I'm so glad that I never got FF XI.

shingo
Sep 22, 2004, 07:38 PM
Someone agress with me

Pso owns FFXI http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_bondage.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: shingo on 2004-09-22 17:46 ]</font>

Link00seven
Sep 22, 2004, 10:00 PM
I agree with everything you said...period.

Eihwaz
Sep 22, 2004, 10:32 PM
Well, this is good, I was, for a while, considering getting FFXI. But after hearing these and other complaints, I've reconsidered. I'll save my money for a CD or something.

Anyway, PSO is really fun becuase it's pick-up-and-play RPG goodness, but can be really deep if you get into it. And it's easy to level up unless you're insane and raise characters to like 180+. x_x

Blue-Hawk
Sep 22, 2004, 11:53 PM
On 2004-09-22 20:32, Eihwaz wrote:
Well, this is good, I was, for a while, considering getting FFXI. But after hearing these and other complaints, I've reconsidered. I'll save my money for a CD or something.

Anyway, PSO is really fun becuase it's pick-up-and-play RPG goodness, but can be really deep if you get into it. And it's easy to level up unless you're insane and raise characters to like 180+. x_x

I was also thinking of getting FFXI, but now I'm not. I heard too many bad things about it. Also, PSO isn't really an RPG. It's more of an action/adventure with RPG elements in it.

Mystil
Sep 23, 2004, 07:45 AM
Yes oh God, yes I strongly urge NOT to buy this game. Usually I try to stay away from such actions, but I'm dead serious about this.

OnnaWren
Sep 23, 2004, 10:56 AM
What about Monster Hunter, y'all... Sony snubbed PSO, and them Capcom waltzes right in with what appears to be a medieval PSODC-clone (right down to the single-player-only offline mode)... >_<

Please don't tell me I'm the only one who sees this...

[EDIT: Lookie! It's Bob The Dragon! Again!]

http://dynamic2b.gamespy.com/~psoworld/images/screenshots/111702/dragon6.jpg

http://img68.photobucket.com/albums/v208/OnnaWren/BOB.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OnnaWren on 2004-09-23 09:39 ]</font>

ABDUR101
Sep 23, 2004, 11:13 AM
If something works, you take advantage of the formula. Standard procedure in the gaming world.

Shadowpawn
Sep 23, 2004, 11:34 AM
Exactly what Abdur said, if gamers prefer the PSO method of MMORPG then expect to see more of the same in the future.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadowpawn on 2004-09-23 09:35 ]</font>

OnnaWren
Sep 23, 2004, 11:42 AM
That's not the point, and I think that some of you are aware of this.

What I am getting at is that the clones and copycats will get all the accolades whilst the original progenitor of the subset languishes, forgotten, and ignored, simply due to the choice of publishing platform!

(And YES, I realize that life is not fair. Homeless, grubby I. Life is NOT fair.)

[EDIT: speeling]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OnnaWren on 2004-09-23 09:43 ]</font>

ABDUR101
Sep 23, 2004, 12:28 PM
On 2004-09-23 09:42, OnnaWren wrote:
That's not the point, and I think that some of you are aware of this.

What I am getting at is that the clones and copycats will get all the accolades whilst the original progenitor of the subset languishes, forgotten, and ignored, simply due to the choice of publishing platform!

(And YES, I realize that life is not fair. Homeless, grubby I. Life is NOT fair.)

That just goes with it though. There are countless clones that did "one better" than the original to up the anty, to spark interest and stand out.

Thats the gaming industry. If you can find an angle that can set you apart and bring you higher than something that has come before, you have a high chance of having a hit.

Look way back to all the 2D fighters that spawned after some of gamings most profound franchises came out. I can remember games all but getting pulled from shelves because they were all but carbon copies of a game that was released previously.

In the end though, as gamers, we're here to have fun, so I don't care who copies what, as long as it's a blast to play, I'll buy.

As for PSO not getting it's just dues because it's clones have upped it, I don't think it's so much the case. And if it is, ah well, I had fun playing it through out all this time, thats all I care about.

KaFKa
Sep 23, 2004, 01:02 PM
i never realized PSO had a clone http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

Tycho
Sep 23, 2004, 01:44 PM
On 2004-09-23 09:13, ABDUR101 wrote:
If something works, you take advantage of the formula. Standard procedure in the gaming world.

Not just in gaming. In all the media. Translating to another medium or just remaking something that worked and adjusted a few things are easy ways to get succes.

And I'll reconsider too now. Thank you Sil.

Shadowpawn
Sep 23, 2004, 02:26 PM
On 2004-09-23 11:02, KaFKa wrote:
i never realized PSO had a clone http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

Sarcasm...tis a thing to be scared...
PSO>FFXI...always.

darthsaber9x9
Sep 23, 2004, 03:21 PM
On 2004-09-23 11:44, Tycho wrote:

On 2004-09-23 09:13, ABDUR101 wrote:

Not just in gaming. In all the media. Translating to another medium or just remaking something that worked and adjusted a few things are easy ways to get succes.

And I'll reconsider too now. Thank you Sil.

i'd go as far to say that it's like that with pretty much most of life. SO many people profit off the work of others etc.

Genoa
Sep 23, 2004, 08:01 PM
*puts his 2 cents in*
I bet Sciler would beg to differ, FFXI has taken her...
Anyways, I think i'd perfer PSO over FFXI. I like the futuristic stuff a bit more than the past. But I perfer magic over all... and PSO took Magic AND Technology and put it together. Usually magic stuff is only in medival games and what not (like final fantasy). But PSO is just... awesome.
3 Cheerios for PSO !

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MegamanX on 2004-09-23 18:03 ]</font>

Shattered_weasel
Sep 24, 2004, 02:31 PM
RPG with 6+ levels and 4 levels of difficulties, no economy whatsoever, many hacks/dupes/cheats,and monotinous gameplay > MMORPG that is hard as hell to level...

Wow even with all those PSO is better