PDA

View Full Version : A Real Example Of A Public School Promoting A Religion

BaronLaw
Jul 2, 2002, 09:20 PM
While nitwit agitators fulminate over the Pledge Of Allegiance, a public school in California is actually becoming an advocate of religion. This is an example of the kind of entanglement between government and religion that should worry Americans. Where is the ACLU when we actually need them ? Read on.
-----------------------------------------------------

'Become a Muslim warrior'

by Daniel Pipes
Jerusalem Post
July 2, 2002

"Become a Muslim warrior during the crusades or during an ancient jihad." Thus read the instructions for seventh graders in Islam: A Simulation of Islamic History and Culture, 610-1100, a three-week curriculum produced by Interaction Publishers, Inc. In classrooms across the United States, students who follow its directions find themselves fighting mock battles of jihad against "Christian crusaders" and other assorted "infidels." Upon gaining victory, our mock-Muslim warriors "Praise Allah."

Is this a legal activity in American public schools? Interaction says it merely urges students to "respect Islamic culture" through identification with Islam. But the Thomas More Law Center, a public-interest law firm based in Michigan, disagrees and last week filed a federal lawsuit to prohibit one school district, in Byron, California, from further using the Interaction materials on Islam.

The Interaction unit contains many other controversial elements. It has students adopt a Muslim name ("Abdallah," "Karima," etc.). It has them wear Islamic clothing: For girls this means a long-sleeved dress and the head covered by a scarf. Students unwilling to wear Islamic clothes must sit mutely in the back of the class, seemingly punished for remaining Westerners.
Interaction calls for many Islamic activities: taking off shoes, washing hands, sitting on prayer rugs, and practicing Arabic calligraphy.

Students study the Koran, recite from it, design a title page for it, and write verses of it on a banner. They act out Islam's Five Pillars of Faith, including giving zakat (Islamic alms) and going on the pilgrimage to Mecca. They also build a replica of the "sacred Kaaba" in Mecca or another holy building.

It goes on. Seventh graders adopt the speech of pious believers, greeting each other with "assalam aleikoom, fellow Muslims" and using phrases such as "God willing" and "Allah has power over all things."

They pronounce the militant Islamic war-cry, Allahu akbar ("God is great.") They must even adopt Muslim mannerisms: "Try a typical Muslim gesture where the right hand moves solemnly... across the heart to express sincerity."

In the same pious spirit, the curriculum presents matters of Islamic faith as historical fact. The Kaaba, "originally built by Adam," it announces, "was later rebuilt by Abraham and his son Ismail." Really? That is Islamic belief, not verifiable history. In the year 610, Interaction goes on, "while Prophet Muhammad meditated in a cave ... the angel Gabriel visited him" and revealed to him God's Message" (yes, that's Message with a capital "M.") The curriculum sometimes lapses into referring to "we" Muslims and even prompts students to ask if they should "worship Prophet Muhammad, God, or both."

The Thomas More Law Center is absolutely correct: This simulation blatantly contradicts Supreme Court rulings which permit public schools to teach about religion on condition that they do not promote it. Interaction openly promotes the Islamic faith, contrary to what a public school should do. As Richard Thompson of the center notes, the Byron school district "crossed way over the constitutional line when it coerced impressionable 12-year-olds to engage in particular religious rituals and worship, simulated or not."

Islam: A Simulation serves as a recruitment tool for Islam, for children adopting a Muslim persona during several weeks amounts to an invitation to them to convert to Islam. (One can't but wonder did John Walker Lindh take this course?) The educational establishment permits this infraction due to an impulse to privilege non-Western cultures over Western ones. It never, for example, would permit Christianity to be promoted in like fashion ("Become a Christian warrior during the crusades," for example.)

Militant Islamic lobbying groups want Islam taught as the true religion, not as an academic subject. They take advantage of this indulgence, exerting pressure on school systems and on textbook writers. Not surprisingly, Interaction Publishers thanks two militant Islamic organizations by name (the Islamic Education and Information Center and the Council of Islamic Education) for their "many suggestions."

Americans and other Westerners face a choice: They can insist that Islam, like other religions, be taught in schools objectively. Or, as is increasingly the case, they can permit true believers to design instruction materials about Islam that serve as a mechanism for proselytizing. The answer will substantially affect the future course of militant Islam in the West.

From http://www.danielpipes.org | Original article available at: http://www.danielpipes.org/article/430

ABDUR101
Jul 2, 2002, 09:33 PM
That report is more offensive than the actual class. How many times was "militant Islamic" used? How often does it mock the Islamic beleifs?

I was taught all about Buddhism, Roman Mythology(a religion also) and afew others when I started middle school. Religion is taught in school, not always so blatant, but it still gets taught. How can you understand the workings of the world if you don't study the world's beleifs? You can't hide yourself from the world and remain ignorant to other people, the sooner everyone learns that the world is a big place and everyone has beleifs that are their own, the better.

Yeah, this class is wrong, there should have been consent given to the parents and children if they wanted to take part, and it should have been extra curricular, not required, and taught by another teacher so that those who did not wish to take part did'nt have to sit in the back of the class as if they were being punished.

Maybe if everyone was more open minded to other people's beleifs, and not so tight assed about the concept of God(which the majority of the world beleifs in, in some form or another) then this would'nt be a problem.

It's the fact that no matter who is teaching what, someone will always bitch about it. No one said anything when the Preacher brought box after box of bibles for my school.

BaronLaw
Jul 2, 2002, 09:54 PM
On 2002-07-02 19:33, ABDUR101 wrote:
That report is more offensive than the actual class. How many times was "militant Islamic" used? How often does it mock the Islamic beleifs?

I was taught all about Buddhism, Roman Mythology(a religion also) and afew others when I started middle school. Religion is taught in school, not always so blatant, but it still gets taught. How can you understand the workings of the world if you don't study the world's beleifs? You can't hide yourself from the world and remain ignorant to other people, the sooner everyone learns that the world is a big place and everyone has beleifs that are their own, the better.

Yeah, this class is wrong, there should have been consent given to the parents and children if they wanted to take part, and it should have been extra curricular, not required, and taught by another teacher so that those who did not wish to take part did'nt have to sit in the back of the class as if they were being punished.

Maybe if everyone was more open minded to other people's beleifs, and not so tight assed about the concept of God(which the majority of the world beleifs in, in some form or another) then this would'nt be a problem.

It's the fact that no matter who is teaching what, someone will always bitch about it. No one said anything when the Preacher brought box after box of bibles for my school.

Read the commentary closely, the author does not object to religious studies. The objection lies in the fact that the course materials at issue cross the line from comparative study into advocacy and indoctrination. This is self-evident from a cursory examination of the aforementioned instruction materials.

BaronLaw

ABDUR101
Jul 2, 2002, 10:10 PM
They pronounce the militant Islamic war-cry, Allahu akbar ("God is great.")

FALSE! "Allahu Akbar" is not a fucking war cry, it is a praise to God. Everyone who beleives in God says "God is Great".

The educational establishment permits this infraction due to an impulse to privilege non-Western cultures over Western ones. It never, for example, would permit Christianity to be promoted in like fashion ("Become a Christian warrior during the crusades," for example.)

Yeah, I think other cultures should be taught more. You know what my family say about anything that isn't American? That it's backwards and wrong. From my grandparents clear down to my neices and nephews. I don't care how it's taught, as long as people's eyes are opened that there are those in the world who don't hold the same beleifs, and that these people should be given respect, no matter what their beleifs are. There are better ways to teach it, but not teaching anything is inviting ignorance.

Militant Islamic lobbying groups want Islam taught as the true religion, not as an academic subject.

There's the term "Militant Islamic" again. What, does this group go around the US suicide bombing schools who don't teach Islam? Do they use physical force? If not, then they are not militant.

Not surprisingly, Interaction Publishers thanks two militant Islamic organizations by name (the Islamic Education and Information Center and the Council of Islamic Education) for their "many suggestions."

Look, there's the term "Militant Islamic" again. Do these groups use physical force to MAKE people do what they want?

Americans and other Westerners face a choice: They can insist that Islam, like other religions, be taught in schools objectively. Or, as is increasingly the case, they can permit true believers to design instruction materials about Islam that serve as a mechanism for proselytizing. The answer will substantially affect the future course of militant Islam in the West.

Look, "Militant Islam" was used again. Hey, here's an idea, how about every child, in every class, in America, be taught every world religion. Add it as an entire new class and get rid of some of those study halls and activity periods. If this helps everyone open their eyes to the worlds inner-workings, then good.

Ian D
Jul 3, 2002, 12:28 AM
On 2002-07-02 19:33, ABDUR101 wrote:
I was taught all about Buddhism, Roman Mythology(a religion also) and afew others when I started middle school.

Times must have changed a lot because I just finished with middle school and we learned nothing about religion the whole time.

ABDUR101
Jul 3, 2002, 12:42 AM
On 2002-07-02 22:28, Y0SHI wrote:
Times must have changed a lot because I just finished with middle school and we learned nothing about religion the whole time.

It depends entirely where you live. I was taught about Roman Mythology(in english class in 7th grade), touched on Buddhism, some Islam(learned about the different sects and so on),Christianity,Judaism and Hinduism in 8th grade during my Geography class.

When we learned about a certain region of the world, we would also study it's beleifs. When we studied China, we learned about Buddhism, and we worked our way around Asia and Africa and studied the beleifs with each region.

To understand the world, you have to know the beleifs of the people in the world, if you can't grasp their concepts, then how can you ever understand them as a people? Just because here in America religion takes a backseat often, doesn't mean it's like that in other countries.

In alot of other countries, religion plays a major role in the household and who you are in the community.

Saladwood
Jul 3, 2002, 01:29 AM
On 2002-07-02 20:10, ABDUR101 wrote:

They pronounce the militant Islamic war-cry, Allahu akbar ("God is great.")

FALSE! "Allahu Akbar" is not a fucking war cry, it is a praise to God. Everyone who beleives in God says "God is Great".

Join me Abdur, in laughing at that war cry quote. Lolita says Ya Allah, and Insya Allah a lot. Is she going to wage a war soon? Oh no, duck for cover!

LollipopLolita
Jul 3, 2002, 01:33 AM
Jihad on anyone that steals my ice cream!

ABDUR101
Jul 3, 2002, 01:51 AM
Yeah, I'm going to lay some Jihad on yo bitch ass!

Infidels! Rahim! Rahim! Cut off his hand!