PDA

View Full Version : Smash Brothers: A game or a tool for psychoatic rage?

DarkJustice74
Oct 6, 2004, 11:03 AM
This is not a rant but rather a funny story that happened a while back.

Me and one of my friends were playing Smash Brothers at his house one night and we decided to have a huge first to 10 match up. He won a few and I won a few, up until the 5th match where I stomped him 6 matches in row. After the final match He looks at me and says that Link(the character I play with) was the most broken character in game, and the only reason why I win is because I all can do is play with him.

Now here was a person who is a rabid Shiek player(For ppl that dont play Smash, she's the best character in the game) calling my above par Link broken. With this thought in my mind I simply said: "Well then, in that case I'll play with Falco(Who sucks against Shiek) and we'll see what happens..." Of course he took me up for my offer and we played a first to 3 match. The 1st and 2nd match we played I owned him easily, and as for the final match..

*Chunks controller on the floor*
"Youre nothing but a cheap bastard! All you use is broken characters!!"

Me: "Man go fuck yourself man. You wanna talk mad shyt about me using broke characters! Lets talk about your shiek. Don't get mad because I've gotten better then you dude..."

My friend: "Shiek is not broken! It requires finesse to play with her! All you do with Link is throw bombs!"

Me: "Dude, just shut the fuck up man. Ever heard of a Teir list? Or do you ever notice that EVERY SINGLE MOVE YOUR CHARACTER CAN DO HAS SOME SORT OF USE!"

My Friend: "FUCK YOU! GET OUT! GET OUT NOW!!"

Me: "So you gonna kick me out for whuppin your ass in a game?! fuck it I'm gone...."

Sure enough I left his house in a pissy but hysterical mood(halfway to my house i busted out laughing). A few days later my friend called my house and apologize for the shyt that went down at his house. Of course I forgave and told him its just a game, and besides we've been good friends for a while. As for Smash Brothers? Heh, the controllers are still clackin, if you know what I mean....

Sagasu
Oct 6, 2004, 11:12 AM
Roy > You

Quick powerhouse with the longest hand to hand range in the game.

No offense, but your friend sounds like an immature punk that needs a clue to life. I'm not sure how this reflects upon you, but I suppose I may just be assuming too much.

DarkJustice74
Oct 6, 2004, 11:40 AM
Lol he's calm down A LOT since that day. I think his nuts dropped or something.

Oh and Marth > Roy in range and effectiveness.

Dillon133
Oct 6, 2004, 12:31 PM
Marth>all
but in the matter of sheik being cheap i think not she can easily be taken out at like 60% shes only good cause she fast so if you can dodge long enough to get someone to 100+% then your a good Sheik..now link is cheap as hell, he sneezes next to another char and its a smash attack his -> A is a double smash his up B is a cheap as hell smash using him requires almost no skill not to offend you i dont know how you play but in my friend circle we banned him (and G$W) because all our crappy friends just up+b everywhere and ruin all the fun

DarkJustice74
Oct 6, 2004, 12:52 PM
Marth>all
but in the matter of sheik being cheap i think not she can easily be taken out at like 60% shes only good cause she fast so if you can dodge long enough to get someone to 100+% then your a good Sheik..now link is cheap as hell, he sneezes next to another char and its a smash attack his -> A is a double smash his up B is a cheap as hell smash using him requires almost no skill not to offend you i dont know how you play but in my friend circle we banned him (and G$W) because all our crappy friends just up+b everywhere and ruin all the fun

Damn dude did you have to much caffiene man? lol just fuckin with ya.

Oh and as for your "cheap" friends using Link the way you describe it. My 7 year old nephew can take them out with ease. Also shiek(a good sheik) can bring a character from 0-90% in less then 6 seconds(My friend was notorious for doing this).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarkJustice74 on 2004-10-06 11:01 ]</font>

KaFKa
Oct 6, 2004, 01:20 PM
people think sheik is broken because she is quick as fuck, when in reality she is a glass cannon. =/

of course if you know how to use any character you can take them to 100% in 5 seconds. that doesent make them broken. (if this was true, my being able to rack up 175% in 4 seconds with gannondorf permits a character ban =/)

your friend, however, needs a lesson in humility.

oh, and the "tier levels" are complete bullshit. jigglypuff > all other characters.

Shadowpawn
Oct 6, 2004, 01:29 PM
I guees at times people can lost their cool over the simpliest things such as a game. However I glad to see that you and him were able to make up.
Dr. Mario>Most
Falco>Dr.Mario
Marth>All

Zarode
Oct 6, 2004, 01:39 PM
Sheik! YAY SHEIK! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif ......Your friend has good taste in characters...but...bad taste in anger management. :S

DarkJustice74
Oct 6, 2004, 01:46 PM
people think sheik is broken because she is quick as fuck, when in reality she is a glass cannon. =/

of course if you know how to use any character you can take them to 100% in 5 seconds. that doesent make them broken. (if this was true, my being able to rack up 175% in 4 seconds with gannondorf permits a character ban =/)

oh, and the "tier levels" are complete bullshit. jigglypuff > all other characters.

LMAO! cmon man are you serious man! Jesus Christ bless this man's soul......

Shiek has so many things going for her man: Great rolls, great aerial AND ground game, wavedash-grab infinite, etc. Not to mention that she is heavier then Mario! Dont judge sheik if you havent played against a good one yet.

Also, Unless your jigglypuff can even get close to me then she's nothing. I've played against tons of Jiggies and unless they can pull off the WoP(Wall of Pain) tactic on me, they're toast.

Oh and another thing. Teirs DO matter. I garuantee you a person of equal or higher skill level then his/her opponent will have a better chance of winning with Sheik(If he/she knows what theyre doing) then with another character like Dr.Mario, or C.Falcon(Just using examples). I'm not being baised in any way. But, I do know a lot of shyt about this game....

Oh and my friend has already learned his lesson. Good thing too, since now he's gotten a hell of a lot better in Smash.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarkJustice74 on 2004-10-06 11:52 ]</font>

theendisnear
Oct 6, 2004, 02:04 PM
dude, jigglypuff ownz you all as long as you know how to use him... her... ug whatever it is. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

man, that makes me want to break out smash and own some lvl 9s lol

Shadowpawn
Oct 6, 2004, 02:20 PM
On 2004-10-06 12:04, theendisnear wrote:
dude, jigglypuff ownz you all as long as you know how to use him... her... ug whatever it is. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

man, that makes me want to break out smash and own some lvl 9s lol

Lvl 9s are too easy, I usually handicap myself just to make it harder. Hell, I even worte a couple of senarios just to make the game a bit harder. Nothing like fighting three CPUs with a handicap of 3 or 4, bah but maybe that's just me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadowpawn on 2004-10-06 12:21 ]</font>

Scrub
Oct 6, 2004, 02:34 PM
I can't stand this game, anyways. The first one was good because it was innovative and let me have Mario beat Link's ass, which is all fine and good.

Now they come and add a shitload of character who most of I don't know/don't care about/cheap knockoffs of the others(BUT ONE SI FASTER!!!11 Big motherfucking deal, give them an all new move set.>=/), and make everything more complicated.

Soul Calibur II > This shit.

Ness
Oct 6, 2004, 02:37 PM
I think Neess and Roy are the best characters int he game. As for your firend, I'm glad he realized that it was just a game.

Shadowpawn
Oct 6, 2004, 02:40 PM
On 2004-10-06 12:34, GreyPhantasm wrote:
Soul Calibur II > This shit.

I have both games, I do not perfer ethier over the other. SC II is for the handcore fighter while SBB:M at basic level is for the causal. If I feel like breaking a insane combo that requires much pratice to master I pull out SC II, if I feel like just beating the crap out of my oppenents then I pull out SBB:M.

So to me, it doesn't make that much of a difference. Both are good fighting games IMO.

KaFKa
Oct 6, 2004, 03:03 PM
On 2004-10-06 11:46, DarkJustice74 wrote:

LMAO! cmon man are you serious man! Jesus Christ bless this man's soul......

firstly, shut the fuck up. take your childish mentality and leave the site. we can do without people like you.

Shiek has so many things going for her man: Great rolls, great aerial AND ground game, wavedash-grab infinite, etc. Not to mention that she is heavier then Mario! Dont judge sheik if you havent played against a good one yet.

she is heavier than mario? you sure? cause she is killable at 60% with just about anyone.

you think i dont know how shiek works? dude, i regularly roll people over in money games with shiek.

maybe its just me, but when you take away the suprise factor with her speed, shiek pales when compared to other characters with experienced players.

Also, Unless your jigglypuff can even get close to me then she's nothing. I've played against tons of Jiggies and unless they can pull off the WoP(Wall of Pain) tactic on me, they're toast.

you've obviously never heard of ghosting.

all one would have to do is wait until there is an opening, get in close, spam the attacks, and get out. easy 40-50% in one fell swoop. risne, repeat. not some fucking super-smash-secret tech shit.

I'm not being baised in any way. But, I do know a lot of shyt about this game....

and since you know so much, you would know that skill is everything, not character choice. if someone uses (example) ice climbers, and is skilled with them, they can do just as well as another character with an equal-skilled player.

just so you know, ive played against people that know all these game secrets and whatnot, and owned them. being able to play full spectrum will go farther than knowing what move is unblockable, some game glitch, etc.

Bradicus
Oct 6, 2004, 04:17 PM
I'm going to go with KafKa.

The character you pick means absolutely nothing. At all. If you find Sheik's speed overwhelming, it only means you need more practice. If your friend can't handle link's power and ranged abilities, that's no fault of yours.

PS
Those that insult Jigglypuff really know nothing of the game.

Rainbowlemon
Oct 6, 2004, 05:52 PM
Lol, you're friend sounds short tempered, but I'm glad you laughed about it in the end, I prolly would have done the same http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

I would say Dr. Mario is the best character, because of the ability to reflect pretty much anything with his cape, and he has a rockin throw, but, to each to his own, there is no 'best' character, because everyone has different styles of play http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Antimony on 2004-10-06 15:53 ]</font>

Outrider
Oct 6, 2004, 06:03 PM
I play as Link regularly, and I'll be the first to admit that he's not the most balanced character in the game. He's a pretty unfair character. But it doesn't stop some of my friends from beating me from time to time.

And then of course, I'll switch characters, and still beat them.

Just because somebody uses Link doesn't exactly make them cheap. It's how you play. But Kafka and Bradicus are right... it all matters how skilled you are. The idea that certain characters should be banned or whatever is just stupid. I will definitely say that some characters are easier for people to use, but that's the same for all fighting games. How many people just use Ryu or Ken in Street Fighter or Nightmare or Kilik in Soul Calibur, only to get rocked by a Zangief (he's a weird character in SF, right?) or a Yunsung?

I myself, really love harassing people with my boomerang, as it always seems to be where I want it to be or where my opponent's really don't want it to be. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Shadowpawn
Oct 6, 2004, 06:21 PM
On 2004-10-06 16:03, Outrider wrote:
How many people just use Ryu or Ken in Street Fighter only to get rocked by a Zangief (he's a weird character in SF, right?)

A lot of people play as the "golden childs" of SF...and Zangief is a werid and hard to control character. Akuma>All.

Scrub
Oct 6, 2004, 06:40 PM
>_> My favorite video game is still Capcom vs Marvel 2, just because it's so fun to go into the arcade and hit buttons watching me whip ass, having no idea what I'n doing. Hitting wild buttons and all of a sudden pwning the opponent is funny to me.

There IS a big difference in characters - Range, Power, and Speed. And every so often you have a character with a GREAT special (Reflector, Cape)that also throws in a wild card. But besides that, everybody plays too similar to me.

Orange_Coconut
Oct 6, 2004, 06:42 PM
It's really how you play with the character and the skill level you're at with him or her. Let's say you base the characters completely on the damage and speed of their attacks, that's different from basing them on the people who use them as well.

So, if he can't beat anyone as Sheik it's because he hasn't honed his abilities to play as her. You've actually proven that, even though you think she is a broken character, that you can still beat her against your friend.

Also, with every character, you need to learn how and when to dodge. Whether you should dodge at a certain time, or if it will leave you easily vulnerable to your opponents next attack. Timing is everything, and how you use your characters abilities.

Personally, I think a few characters are bad, but if you're not considering the skill level of who you're up against, what his or her pros and cons are, then you're not looking at the full situation.

For example, let's say you think that Kirby cannot win because you think he's too light and his attacks are too weak. Or because you think he's easy to escape when sucked in or being thrown. So you choose a random character, and it just so happens you land on Sheik.

You're thinking "Oh, this will be a piece of cake". However, (following this all hypothetically)you are not really trained in Sheik's fighting style because let's say you're used to being Samus. What you don't know is, this guy you're against has practiced with Kirby and Kirby only. So he has had a lot of experience in most situations of combat.

The result being he beat you, but you start to wonder why, what you did wrong to lose to a character you think is terrible. Well, it's not that you're a bad player, it's that he or she is exceptionally good with that character and that you're inexperienced with your random pick. =)

TheOneHero
Oct 6, 2004, 06:48 PM
On 2004-10-06 09:12, Sagasu wrote:
Roy > You

Quick powerhouse with the longest hand to hand range in the game.

No offense, but your friend sounds like an immature punk that needs a clue to life. I'm not sure how this reflects upon you, but I suppose I may just be assuming too much.

*Rubs Sagasu head with knuckle*

I like this guy. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

Edit* Oh ya, Jigglypuff rocks too, and I agree with Antimomy that there is no 'best' character.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TheOneHero on 2004-10-06 16:51 ]</font>

Gats
Oct 6, 2004, 06:53 PM
i hv to agree with what evry1 has said so far in terms of different ppl's skill lv.btw:my favorite/best characters are(in this order)fox, sheik, samus, marth, and young link.heh ive noticed no1 here likes fox...hes perfect for my stlye of play.

Scrub
Oct 6, 2004, 07:00 PM
I like the 'off' button. It compliments my style of play perfectly - I don't.

BUT, back when I USED to, I used Mario and his variant. They were they same damn character, except sometime I felt like being a different color. And if I felt like using pills instead of using fireballs.

>_> How do pills damage people anyways? Overdose?

KaFKa
Oct 6, 2004, 07:01 PM
On 2004-10-06 16:53, Gats wrote:
i hv to agree with what evry1 has said so far in terms of different ppl's skill lv.btw:my favorite/best characters are(in this order)fox, sheik, samus, marth, and young link.heh ive noticed no1 here likes fox...hes perfect for my stlye of play.

it hurts. the brain.

Shadowpawn
Oct 6, 2004, 07:05 PM
On 2004-10-06 17:00, GreyPhantasm wrote:
>_> How do pills damage people anyways? Overdose?

You know that's how money makes his money XD.

Bradicus
Oct 6, 2004, 07:52 PM
All this talk of unbalanced characters reminds me of the first Smash Bros. These "broken characters" you whine about don't even hold a candle to Kirby's KO prowess.

I should know. He was my best character http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Edit- Ignore the repetitive use of "Character".

Character character character character.
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bradicus on 2004-10-06 18:05 ]</font>

TheOneHero
Oct 6, 2004, 07:56 PM
On 2004-10-06 17:52, Bradicus wrote:
All this talk of unbalanced characters reminds me of the first Smash Bros. These "broken characters" you whine about don't even hold a candle to Kirby's KO prowess.

I should know. He was my best character http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

*Grabs Bradicus's heads and rubs it too.*

You are now my friend.

KaFKa-True, very true. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

Edit* Dam...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TheOneHero on 2004-10-06 17:57 ]</font>

KaFKa
Oct 6, 2004, 08:09 PM
yes, kirby was the shit in the old smash brothers. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

Shadowpawn
Oct 6, 2004, 08:17 PM
I don't know about that...Falcon was a monster in the old SSB.

Dillon133
Oct 6, 2004, 08:29 PM
well i have a friend who owns everyone i know with any charecter cause hes so good at dodging its insane but kirby and link were the star players of the last smash bros. my order goes Marth-Samus-Sheik-cap'n falcon in that order even those falcons got alot of problems mainly not being very good for one but hes still fun when you get that planet destroyers in peoples faces trying to juggle you

Not to bust any chops but soul caliber is a terrible game almost as bad as virtua fighter 4 you can hella kill everyone with ivy if you whip them forever on the ground and there are no reversals to it which makes it a perfect button masher http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Shadowpawn
Oct 6, 2004, 08:33 PM
On 2004-10-06 18:29, Dillon133 wrote:
Not to bust any chops but soul caliber is a terrible game...you can hella kill everyone with ivy if you whip them forever on the ground and there are no reversals to it which makes it a perfect button masher http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Not so...Talim and the ninja (forgot her name) can kill Ivy before you can even get the whip out. Happened to me :/

DarkJustice74
Oct 6, 2004, 09:28 PM
Damn...

I comeback from work and all of a sudden my topic has 3 pages on it. Now for my replies. Lets start with Kafka....

firstly, shut the fuck up. take your childish mentality and leave the site. we can do without people like you.

Whoa whats with the hostility bro? And what gave you the audacity to call me childish dude? You need to watch what you say man, because that little temper of yours is showing me that ya nuts havent dropped homey...

she is heavier than mario? you sure? cause she is killable at 60% with just about anyone.

you think i dont know how shiek works? dude, i regularly roll people over in money games with shiek.

maybe its just me, but when you take away the suprise factor with her speed, shiek pales when compared to other characters with experienced players.

OH REALLY! LMAO. Man Kafka you talkin some mad shyt bro. Unless your playing in a small stage or a stage with low ceiling(ei. Corneria), or edge gaurding her ass. Then your NOT gonna take out shiek at 60%. Not only that, You'll have to take more than just her speed and unpredictability from her dude. You forgot about her badass priority and damage.......

you've obviously never heard of ghosting.

all one would have to do is wait until there is an opening, get in close, spam the attacks, and get out. easy 40-50% in one fell swoop. risne, repeat. not some fucking super-smash-secret tech shit.

Ok man. So your gonna ghost against my Link, Falco, or hell, even my Luigi? I'd rip you apart bro. My Link will trap your ass easily, Falco would have a field day playing soccer, and as for Luigi....dont let me get started. If you even try to ghost against me or anyone that plays in my area, your gonna get your ass stomped.......

and since you know so much, you would know that skill is everything, not character choice. if someone uses (example) ice climbers, and is skilled with them, they can do just as well as another character with an equal-skilled player.

just so you know, ive played against people that know all these game secrets and whatnot, and owned them. being able to play full spectrum will go farther than knowing what move is unblockable, some game glitch, etc.

Ok obviously you didnt read my post correctly man...

I garuantee you a person of equal or higher skill level then his/her opponent will have a better chance of winning with Sheik(If he/she knows what theyre doing) then with another character like Dr.Mario, or C.Falcon(Just using examples)

Note that I said they will have a BETTER CHANCE of winning. I didnt say that a shiek player would win automatically.

Now that I've set your dumbass straight. Lets move on...

The character you pick means absolutely nothing. At all. If you find Sheik's speed overwhelming, it only means you need more practice. If your friend can't handle link's power and ranged abilities, that's no fault of yours.

PS
Those that insult Jigglypuff really know nothing of the game.

I didnt say Jiggs was a scrap as character man. I just said that she was an easy match up for me due to the fact the I play against her so godamn much lol.

As for everyone else, read what I said above. Except dont take the hostile points personal......

EJ
Oct 6, 2004, 10:37 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif Mewtwo > all.

But that sounded like something similar to what happened to me. Kept beating my friends with mewtwo http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif gotta love that teleporting ability.

geewj
Oct 6, 2004, 10:43 PM
Hmm, the topic for the most part is done. Let me sum up what the rest of it is going to be like, incase any of you feel cheated cause of the lock.

My dad can beat up your dad.