PDA

View Full Version : AFAIK, IIRC, IMO/IMHO

Skorpius
Oct 7, 2004, 05:56 PM
NO, TYPE THEM OUT.
The only acronyms you should use are LOL, OMG, and varations of LMAO, or ROFL. That is IT!!! I'm sick of reading and having to say "Afaik" wihich isnt a fucking word, or "eye eye are see".. "eye em oh" :l These don't sound right, and are fucking pointless. I see people type with capitals, using puncuation, then they hit "IMO" which completly ruins your entire post. Come ON people, you can afford to spend a split second to type out "As far as I know" or "If I remember correctly" or even "In my opinion"...

U MITE AS WEL TYPE LIEK THIS IF U GONA BE LIEK THAT IMO

PJ
Oct 7, 2004, 05:59 PM
We can say LOL, OMG, LMAO and ROFL, but not AFAIK, IIRC, IMO or IMHO?

If you understand what it means, why does it matter what they say, IMO http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Shadowpawn
Oct 7, 2004, 05:59 PM
It's just easier to use the shorthand when you understand what they mean. If you can't use IMO then you might as well not use LOL because it can ruin the post in other people's opinion as well.

EDIT:Gotdamnit...I seem to mess up http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadowpawn on 2004-10-07 16:02 ]</font>

Scrub
Oct 7, 2004, 06:01 PM
Hear ye, Hear ye!

Skorpius has bought the internet and controls what we can and cannot say with an iron fist!

Skorpius
Oct 7, 2004, 06:09 PM
^ Troll.
|
STFU is another that is allowed.

Chao, yes, the most common and long used ones are fine, while the ones mostly seen on PSOw aren't. I do not see these bullshit acronyms anywhere else but here.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skorpius on 2004-10-07 16:09 ]</font>

Shadowpawn
Oct 7, 2004, 06:15 PM
On 2004-10-07 16:09, Skorpius wrote:
I do not see these bullshit acronyms anywhere else but here.
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skorpius on 2004-10-07 16:09 ]</font>

I've seen IMO/IMHO in other forums...>.> However not the other two.

Skorpius
Oct 7, 2004, 06:19 PM
Well, that still doesn't make them any less pointless. :/

PJ
Oct 7, 2004, 06:26 PM
Yes, but the commonly used ones are still the most annoying =/

Ness
Oct 7, 2004, 06:39 PM
As if this rant hasn't been done 1000 times already.

I really don't mind the use of acronyms as long as people don't use them all the time.

Shattered_weasel
Oct 7, 2004, 07:19 PM
All I have problems with is when people Acronym games...

HotWaterDeath
Oct 7, 2004, 08:32 PM
I'm not a big fan of net-acronyms, but I wouldn't go so far as to make a thread on PSOW about them. In fact, I can't stand them, but I'll use every single one I can think of off the top of my head....right NOW (Its all for you bud)!

LOL, LOLZERS, L33T, LoC, AV74, RA, SA, ROTFV (Rolling on the floor vomiting), ROTFL,PWNED, IRS, NRA, IRA, NAACP, KKcrappy, NSA, NASA, INSYH (I Netscaped your hiney), PDITMAWP (Please die in the most affectionate way possible).

Oh, where has my mind gone off to?

Sef
Oct 7, 2004, 08:49 PM
Chao, yes, the most common and long used ones are fine, while the ones mostly seen on PSOw aren't. I do not see these bullshit acronyms anywhere else but here.

Then adapt to the community, KTHNX.

Edit: Actually there's a point I'm trying to make.

It's like going to a different country with a different language.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sef on 2004-10-07 18:52 ]</font>

Shadowpawn
Oct 7, 2004, 08:49 PM
On 2004-10-07 18:32, HotWaterDeath wrote:
PDITMAWP (Please die in the most affectionate way possible).

Gee I don't even know that existed @_@.

Shattered_weasel
Oct 7, 2004, 09:44 PM
I'm not a big fan of net-acronyms, but I wouldn't go so far as to make a thread on PSOW about them. In fact, I can't stand them, but I'll use every single one I can think of off the top of my head....right NOW (Its all for you bud)!

LOL, LOLZERS, L33T, LoC, AV74, RA, SA, ROTFV (Rolling on the floor vomiting), ROTFL,PWNED, IRS, NRA, IRA, NAACP, KKcrappy, NSA, NASA, INSYH (I Netscaped your hiney), PDITMAWP (Please die in the most affectionate way possible).

You forgot PSOW...yes the dreaded site we have posted on is an acronym.

Skorpius
Oct 7, 2004, 11:30 PM
An acronym for a noun, which is fine.
Most acronyms are common, while the ones listed (AFAIK, IIRC, IMHO) are used by "smarter" people.

Does it REALLY make you feel SMARTER for using them?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skorpius on 2004-10-07 21:31 ]</font>

Blue-Hawk
Oct 7, 2004, 11:49 PM
^ Troll.
|

Looks like someone has never been to the Gamefaqs boards. >_< I HAD to stop posting there when it seemed like I was one of the few still gifted with intelligence and decent grammer.

Skorpius
Oct 8, 2004, 12:54 AM
I only go to Game FAQs for their game FAQs :|

darthsaber9x9
Oct 8, 2004, 04:16 AM
does this really piss you off that much?

So what, it makes someone else look stupid. does it affect you otherwise? people are allowed to express themselves pretty much anyway they please(obviously spam filled posts excluded etc) and unless the post is mostly acronyms, i wouldn't worry about it.

HotWaterDeath
Oct 8, 2004, 09:56 AM
On 2004-10-07 19:44, Shattered_weasel wrote:

You forgot PSOW...yes the dreaded site we have posted on is an acronym.

That acronym is, quite possibly, the most deadly of them all. Well, next to "rolling on the floor vomiting" that is.

Daikarin
Oct 8, 2004, 10:05 AM

Who died and made you the prime-minister of "Digital world vocabulary department"?

space_butler
Oct 8, 2004, 10:23 AM
i get people on msn all the time who think its better if they 'tlk lik dis' than if they actually type stuff out, wierd thing is most of them go to a private school...

Skorpius
Oct 8, 2004, 01:10 PM
On 2004-10-08 08:05, Even_Jin wrote:

Who died and made you the prime-minister of "Digital world vocabulary department"?

Another troll.
Don't come into a topic like this and try to cause problems, it only makes you look like an ass. This is the RANTS BOARD, and I'm ranting.

ATM (At The Moment) <-- KILL IT, ATM = MONEY MACHINE

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skorpius on 2004-10-08 11:12 ]</font>

Ness
Oct 8, 2004, 01:21 PM
On 2004-10-08 11:10, Skorpius wrote:

Another troll.
Don't come into a topic like this and try to cause problems, it only makes you look like an ass. This is the RANTS BOARD, and I'm ranting.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skorpius on 2004-10-08 11:12 ]</font>

Actually, Skorpius, he does have a point and so did Gray. What gave you the right to decide what acronyms should ans shouldn't be used? I agree that they are annoying, but no one forces you to read them.

Solstis
Oct 8, 2004, 01:23 PM

Another troll.

Sorry.

Since it is a Rants board, we have equal right to call you on what we view to be odd/annoying/dumb.

Acronyms are annoying, but telling people which ones are "acceptable" is a tad... pathetic.

LMAO!

(ooh! Am I trolling? Whee!111111111)

[edit]:

Aw, hell naw Ness!

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

You stole my thunder.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2004-10-08 11:36 ]</font>

Ness
Oct 8, 2004, 01:27 PM
On 2004-10-08 11:23, Solstis wrote:

Another troll.

Sorry.

Since it is a Rants board, we have equal right to call you on what we view to be odd/annoying/dumb.

Acronyms are annoying, but telling people which ones are "acceptable" is a tad... pathetic.

LMAO!

(ooh! Am I trolling? Whee!111111111)

I beat you to it, Sol.

(See the post above yours)

Skorpius
Oct 8, 2004, 01:54 PM
It IS trolling. It's MY rant, and I can do it how I want to. If you don't like it, don't read it. :l
Now it's going off topic, two rules, fine line of being broken. lol
Please, On topic now, and stop trolling me.

Scrub
Oct 8, 2004, 02:03 PM
IMO, STFU.>=/ It may be YOUR rant, but that doesn't mean that you can insult people by calling them 'Troll' and expect to get off scott fucking free. The whole reason this forum exists also IMO is to bitch and be bitched at. Don't like it? Tough.

GG NO RE

Shattered_weasel
Oct 8, 2004, 02:05 PM
Don't feed the Forum Troll

http://img76.exs.cx/img76/79/webtroll_001.jpg

Ok to get back on topic. Don't try to use the "This is the rant forum so I can rant if I want to" thing. I tried doesn't work...makes you look a little more ignorant.

Solstis
Oct 8, 2004, 02:10 PM
On 2004-10-08 11:54, Skorpius wrote:
It IS trolling. It's MY rant, and I can do it how I want to. If you don't like it, don't read it. :l
Now it's going off topic, two rules, fine line of being broken. lol
Please, On topic now, and stop trolling me.

aw... you're so cute thinking that the rules are strictly there for your protection.

If you can't handle getting your opinions countered... don't post in rants.

Start a livejournal, make it friends only, and post away. You'll have nothing but the sweet satisfaction of knowing that no one disagrees with you.

Tycho
Oct 8, 2004, 02:11 PM
I don't like 'STFU' either, it's the most flamey one of all. ):

Skorpius
Oct 8, 2004, 02:16 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/faq.php?myfaq=yes&id_cat=9&categories=Forum
Solstis. #2 & #5
I am near violating #2, myself, by responding to your trolling and flame baiting. Plesae stop or I will contact a mod. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Tycho, STFU, yeah, I'll agree that it is harsh, and I hardly use it anymore. I actually TYPE it out now, if someone is being annoying. ;D

Solstis
Oct 8, 2004, 02:18 PM
On 2004-10-08 12:16, Skorpius wrote:
Solstis. #2 & #5
I am near violating #2, myself, by responding to your trolling and flame baiting. Plesae stop or I will contact a mod. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Tycho, STFU, yeah, I'll agree that it is harsh, and I hardly use it anymore. I actually TYPE it out now, if someone is being annoying. ;D

And then your thread will get locked.

Anyway... STFU doesn't really bother me.

Most likely as it took me ages to figure out what it meant.

What? Why is everyone shaking their heads?

._.

Scrub
Oct 8, 2004, 02:24 PM
When I was a little internet baby(8 or 9) I thought it was just people horribly mispelling Stuff.

Edit - 'It' being 'STFU'

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GreyPhantasm on 2004-10-08 12:26 ]</font>

Ness
Oct 8, 2004, 02:29 PM
On 2004-10-08 12:16, Skorpius wrote:
Solstis. #2 & #5

We're not violating any rules by disagreeing with you. You have the right to make a point just as we have the right to make a counterpoint.

All we were doing is stating the fact that your rant kind of sound like a double standard. The only acronyms that can be used are the ones you are okay with.

Daikarin
Oct 8, 2004, 02:30 PM

Another troll.

Look here, troll v.2: I do know what your problem is, but if you flame about something or someone, you have to get ready to be flamed at.

I don't care what you think of me, since you shown you deserve no respect. But I'm not the type to flame back, therefore I'll keep this clean and simple.

I don't care what you think at all. I just need you to think about the following phrases:

"Who do you think you are to decide on whether elite vocabulary should or should not be used? Ever heard about freedom of speech?"

Also:

"Why make a rant out of something as meaningless as about what other people type about?

There's rants here about 13-year-olds finding their place to share their problem with their divorcing parents, or where young users come to confess when they get short on cash or lose a job.

Where's the sense on a rant about the fact that you're pissed that other people don't type the words you want to see?

And to finish:

Did you read the warning before entering the Rants thread? Or did you think that you could say anything that you want and treat anyone the way you want to?

As to my other post, what I did say was:

Who gives you the right to judge people for the way they type and decide on whatever they should say or not?

Add a little of "This topic is childish", another bit of "Irony" and you get what I typed before.

Oh, and instead of flaming me, consider thinking about what I said, ok? It would be childish for us to be in a topic dogfight, which would lead us nowhere.

Good luck on finding a reason to rant.

Ness
Oct 8, 2004, 02:36 PM
Even_Jin preety much stated what I was about to. The onyl difference is that I think he has the right to rant about whatever he wants (rules permitting) as long as he realizes that people have the right to comment on what he rants about.

As for what he said earlier:

If you don't like it, don't read it.

You don't have to read our posts.

By the way, dismissing everyone that disagrees with you as a troll is not a good way to win people over.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ness on 2004-10-08 12:36 ]</font>

Sef
Oct 8, 2004, 02:40 PM
By that logic... If I make a rant about this rant, you'd have to agree to what I'm saying?

Even if it's against your thoughts in this thread?

What a crazy world we live in.

Ness
Oct 8, 2004, 02:42 PM
On 2004-10-08 12:40, Sef wrote:
By that logic... If I make a rant about this rant, you'd have to agree to what I'm saying?

Are you talking to me?

Sef
Oct 8, 2004, 02:45 PM
On 2004-10-08 12:42, Ness wrote:

On 2004-10-08 12:40, Sef wrote:

Are you talking to me?

Whoops, sorry Ness, not you.

That's for Skorpius.

Daikarin
Oct 8, 2004, 02:48 PM
I forgot to add. Typing IMO and IMHO and its family relatives DOES help saving time and money, as dumb as this sounds.

This is the digital world, where you should keep it all compact.

What are the rates of you finding someone on the internet that types just like a formal e-mail?

Remember that, especially on the Gamecube version of PSO, some people have no keyboard. Don't blame them for that, some people don't think it's reasonable to invest in one.

I have a keyboard, but since it doesn't answer 100% to what I type (Darn Datel.) I try to use reduced words as much as I can to avoid erasing the word when it's not well written.

Skorpius
Oct 8, 2004, 03:17 PM
Both rules broken, PMing a mod, locking topic.

Solstis
Oct 8, 2004, 03:19 PM
That would be dhylec!

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

The famed vampire slayer of le... I lost my train of thought.

Gee wiz. Some people refuse to learn.

anwserman
Oct 8, 2004, 03:28 PM
Hmmm, who gives a damn if somebody decides to use *gasp* an ancronym or however its spelled. As long as it doesn't degenerate into hacker-speak, who cares? Using LOL or such words is fine in moderation, in my humble opinion.

Oh, Skorpious, hate to burst your bubble but the mods/admins are the ones who determine whether or not a rule is broken. So get off of your high-horse by saying, "You're breaking such and such rule! awafdsajkl;fdsaklj1!!!!!" because it only makes you sound like an arrogant, "I'm better then you!" slimey little jerk. Really, it does.

Think about it.
Oh, there is such thing as corporate culture. Apply that to PSOW, and it becomes "PSOW Culture"... meaning how people post on the forums... get over it.

OMG I USED AN ANCRONYM!
HEHEHE LOL!

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Skorpius
Oct 8, 2004, 03:29 PM
Eh, no more posts in here http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif
Can't even rant without people bashing you, this world is, indeed, rather messed up.

Scrub
Oct 8, 2004, 03:34 PM
On 2004-10-08 13:29, Skorpius wrote:
Eh, no more posts in here http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif
Can't even rant without people bashing you, this world is, indeed, rather messed up.

So what your saying is, you can 'bash' people who use acronyms, but we can't 'bash' you? =/

::goes away::

anwserman
Oct 8, 2004, 03:34 PM

Ah, much like life.. live with it.
Or better yet, don't expect everyone to agree with you when it comes to posting on here. Take everything with a grain of salt.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

And no, it isn't bashing, just worded wrong. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Solstis
Oct 8, 2004, 03:36 PM
On 2004-10-08 13:34, GreyPhantasm wrote:

So what your saying is, you can 'bash' people who use acronyms, but we can't 'bash' you? =/

And just when I lose all respect for you, you just go out and make a good point.

Punk.

The boards are a generally forgiving place man, so we'll eventually forget your little transgression, Skorpius.

To every point there is a counterpoint.

Remember this.

Scrub
Oct 8, 2004, 03:38 PM
On 2004-10-08 13:36, Solstis wrote:

On 2004-10-08 13:34, GreyPhantasm wrote:

And just when I lose all respect for you, you just go out and make a good point.

Punk.

The boards are a generally forgiving place man, so we'll eventually forget your little transgression, Skorpius.

To every strike there is a Counter-Strike.

Remember this.

>_> It's supposed to be getting locked anyway, so I just HAD to add that edit.

And I'm glad to have started my way to earn back your respect.

Ness
Oct 8, 2004, 03:43 PM
So you're trying to get this topic locked just because people disagreed with you? This world truly is messed up.

Skorpius
Oct 8, 2004, 04:04 PM
I thought I was just bashing the acronyms, not the people using them. :L I thought maybe people here would understand that one, and not take offense to it, but eh.. guess you CANT really rant on these boards, seeing as having a difference in opinoin gets people bashing you.
I disagree with you and you came in and started bashing me for it.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

NO MORE POSTS, I WANT THIS LOCKED.

Daikarin
Oct 8, 2004, 05:54 PM
You can rant all you want, but it seems that you can't face the consequences of your rants.

Over and out.

Oh, and sorry for posting, seeing as you wanted this locked, but I had to answer to that post.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Even_Jin on 2004-10-08 15:55 ]</font>

geewj
Oct 10, 2004, 11:28 PM
request