PDA

View Full Version : Work Rant

Deathscythealpha
Nov 13, 2004, 03:48 PM
Well, after being un-employed for ages, I finally got employed to work in Gamestation! Perfect job for me and i love it.

But im not ranting about the job itself, just things about the job (mostly customers).

You See That 'Do Not Queue' Sign?
Our counter is in a square shape set into one corner of the shop. Theres the main part of the counter where we serve people and a seperate part for placing and pricing up games to go onto the shop floor, this part has a sign saying do not queue here. So why on earth do people insist on standing there? When im standing neck deep in games to be priced up im not going to be able to help you.

Theres an 18 Certificate for a Reason
Kids, GTA: San Andreas is an 18 rated game. Its rated 18 because of the extreme violence, bad language, sex references and everything else that makes up an adult game. It is definately not suitable for kids.

If i was to sell it to anyone under 18 i personally would get a 10,000 pound fine and a 6month jail sentence. As a student i cant afford that and there is no way i would want to go to jail. So stopped getting stroppy and kicking up a stink when i refuse a sale. Also asking someone else in the store to buy the game for you RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME is a stupid idea.

Parents, Be Responsible
Carrying on with the age rating thing, i find it stupid that parents are buying San Andreas for their kids. I have several customers an hour asking for San Andreas, and most of them are parents buying the game for their 11 year old kids (they're normally standing right next to their parents). The game is not aimed at that young an audience, and its completely irresponsible to buy the game for them. And when i mention that the game is rated 18, dont get so defensive about it, i have a legal obligation to warn you.

A, B, C, G?
You pick up a game and decide you dont want it, so you put it back. Not a difficult task. Now you pick up a game from a shelf that has everything stored in alphabetical order. The clever thing to do here is put the game back in the section you found it, not at the end of the friggen isle away from all its over letters! This is not just customers, but staff. I had a hell of a time trying to track down Crazy Taxi today because someone had filed it in the 'E' section.

You Want Full Price for a 5 Year Old Game Covered in Scratches?

If you trade in a game we are not going to give you the full price back for it, that just doesnt make sense. We need to make money off of our investment in your used games. Dont fly off the handle when we offer you less then the RRP for your used games.

Now if its an old game, were gunna give you less for it because people dont want to pay a load of cash for an old game. We will give you less money for a game that has been scratched to hell, as no one wants a game that wont run and we have to resurface that game at the cost of 2.50 a go. Now if its old and scratched your not gunna get anything for it. Dont yell at me that were ripping you off, it doesnt take that much effort to actually look after your stuff.

The jobs great, some of the customers arent. Least i get a kick ass discount (Halo 2 for 28.50, oh yeah!)

WraithVerge
Nov 14, 2004, 01:42 AM
That's what makes the job so great: the customer. Without them, you've got nothing to rant about. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Nov 14, 2004, 09:34 AM
Holiday season 2001, a quote overheard in Gamestop from some random customer thinking out loud:

"Gamecube and XBOX are the same size!"

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Hehe.
Obiviously a lot of people wander into game-specific stores without a single bit of knowledge about games; it is very sad to see. I would imagine maybe someone saying that at a Walmart or something where games are not the sole source of retail, but in a store specifically geared towards games?! Ouch.

Another type of customer can spend 1-2 hours at a time looking over used game-boxes, not the game discs, but just boxes. I have witnessed this as well.

You can always count on a few things in game specific stores, I beleieve:

1. New games/systems and the hype that goes along with it (man I overheard some State of Emergency hype in a store, and the game turned out to be a dud.)
2. Old games, sometimes rare and good old games http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
3. Customers of every type imaginable (including the demanding ones who are not abiding to the Mature rated games not being suitable for minors)

Deathscythealpha
Nov 14, 2004, 12:49 PM
Well the whole San Andreas thing took another giant leap in parents not caring. A woman tried to buy the game for her 8 year old son! I dont think i could have morally sold the game to this woman, so i basically explained to her every single bad thing in the game. It put her off a bit, but in the end she said 'Ok, ill go ask his Dad about it and come back tomorrow'. What?! Its an 18 Rated game, i dont think theres anything to think about here. Would you look at an 18 rated film and think 'Hmm, should i ask his Dad if i should buy this game?'.

Stupid people.