PDA

View Full Version : PSO has gone to Hell.

Skorpius
Nov 24, 2004, 02:10 PM
My theory is that some people tend to lean toward cheating so they don't seem like a "noob" when they start out. Commonly, a newer player is welcomed with flaming and bashing, due to thier inexperience with the game, and more often than not, this bashing originates from those that are overly obsessive about the game.

I have come to the conclusion that about 20% of those that feel the need to break the rules of the game are doing so to hide the fact that they haven't excelled as much as other players, and to protect themselves from the constant ridicule that these "elite" players tend to give.

This game is not friendly, despite what most people try to say. It is hatefull, mean, spitefull, obsessive, arrogant, and downright inhumane. Newer players are hazed to death by those that have had more time to thier game, and this hazing is done without cause. What confuses me is that if a newer player shows these signs of arrogant egotism, they're given positive feedback by these same "elite" players.

It's as though these "elite" are saying "It is bad to not know something, but ok to be mean." Is this how humanity works? Is this the true nature of our species? What strikes me even more is that these "elite" are seen as the best of the best, people look up to them as rolemodels in the game because they have acquired so much knowledge of it, and this goes straight to thier brainstems. You would think that a person that is held highly by a certain few would be a tad bit modest, but no, some of these "elite" snap at those that worship them.

This is horrible, and it is the reason for the cancellation of my account. I am sick of the bashings, sick of the egotism, and sick of how "elite" players stole the game from others. The point of all this, though, is not about cheeting at all, but about how the elitism, egotism, and arrogance that some seasoned players have that makes the atmosphere of PSO unfriendly to those that are new, or casual players. Because you don't have a Soul Banish with 10 hit, you therefor suck at PSO? I know of many instances where a new player has been shot down serveral times, and it sickens me to the bones. Apparently, the only options you have as a new player are either take your chances in Vega, and be FSODed, and cheated like crazy, or get bashed and ridiculed into Hell for not knowing what a Brionic is.

The tension between older and new players is not as tight as that between the casual players, and those that obsess about being the best of the best. A person that only plays for fun, to just play a round of Mines with a buddy on the weekend, or maybe does an area offline for fun, gets bashed to no end because he or she doesn't know that a FOnewearl is "the best force to use in C-mode" or isn't aware of the HP drain on Luminous Field. Such minor details, yet they seem so gigantic issues to certain players. It's rediculous.

And it stems even further, where those that consider themselves higher than other players tend to ward off those the deem unworthy to PSO. Closed off games, isolated C-mode times, they only help themselves and those that act similar, and continue to put down the ones that wish they had the time/friends to do these things.

In the last month, I was very amused. PSO World was down, and no one could access the guides. Why was I amused? Well, before hand, I took notice of minute comments by certain users, those that hinted narcissism, in a subtle way, over a new user asking simple questions that us, more experienced, platers knew quite easily. Although new user probably ignored it, I did not, and continued on my way to posting, then the site went dead for a month. Recently, when it was finally brought up again, and working (somewhat), I was skimming though that topics about the site being back up again. One of these topics was filled with comments about how people are thenkfull that the guides were able to be accessed again. One of the posters making such comments was none other than the same user that bashed the new user only a month ago. Ironic, a person who was so secure about themselves only a month ago is now on their knees, thanking the internet Gods that thier bank of knowledge is accessable again. Their only backbone is that of the text on this site, and it's guides. How sad.

My point is that this needs to be brought to light, instead of ignored and pushed away, because those that are act this way are "respected" on some way. I don't care if you can C-mode in this and this time, I don't care if you found so many of whatever item, and I hardly care if you know such stat for whoever for whatever and any given time. The fact remains is that some people can't allow the spotlight to dift on the,, so they continously create a show for others. I will be one to admit that i have been on a couple ego trips, yet i try my best to keep my boosts to those that deserve a nice bashing (LIEK I R LEET NOOB AND I PWN YOU kind of people need to be smacked). I will not resond to any flaming, or arguing with any point that I have made, my objective here was to show people what has been going on for quite some time, and if you seriously have a problem with it, fine, do that. If I get banned or at all punished from this, so be it, but people must know how this environment has gone to high Hell and back again.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skorpius on 2004-11-24 11:11 ]</font>

KaFKa
Nov 24, 2004, 04:17 PM
thank you for overexplaining something thats been understood for awile now.

and no, most 'elites' will yell at the noob in question with advice that is best learned quickly, hence why its bashed into their faces. if theyre immature enough to have to protect themselves by cheating on an online game, then that says enough about their character to say that they would fall to cheating eventually anyways.

stop trying to act smart, skorpius, because we all know your a hairbrained chucklefuck on your end of the internet connection.

Ness
Nov 24, 2004, 07:06 PM
You spent all that time and typed all that just to state the obvious.

Jehosaphaty
Nov 24, 2004, 08:56 PM
wordy-yes. already stated-yes. oh well

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jehosaphaty on 2004-11-24 18:01 ]</font>

KodiaX987
Nov 24, 2004, 10:32 PM
Well, you have two choices. Either play PSO V1 where absolutely everything was easy and people complained about it....

Or you can play Ep I & II where things are a bit harder now and people complain about it.

_Sinue_
Nov 24, 2004, 10:45 PM
This post seems like a long insunation that it was the elite "legits" who bashed on the newbs which drove them to cheating. I can't agree with something like that though. There's a certain level of hazing that comes with every online game.. it's something you just have to learn to deal with until you get better. In a lot of ways, it can drive an unskilled player to improve themselvess and show up the "know it all's" who previously bashed them.

Now I can't speak for everyone, but in my case, I've yet to see any real newbie bashing in my time since v.1 on the Dreamcast. For the most part, I've noticed that gamers can generally tell the difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance, can be fixed - by sharing your knowladge of the game with those who are less experienced. The stupid ones, are those who refuse to listen to the advice of those who know better. It's the difference between "Newb" and "Noob".

On that point, yeah, I have seen a lot of "noob" bashing online. And why the hell not? These people are worthless players - not because they innately suck.. but because they simply refuse to better themselves. It seems to me, that many of these people are the ones who turn to cheating. Why should they learn how to play the game, when a few codes can make them just as powerful.. or more powerful?

I guess it doesn't really matter much now, since the game is pretty much dead in the water.

_Sinue_
Nov 24, 2004, 10:45 PM
This post seems like a long insunation that it was the elite "legits" who bashed on the newbs which drove them to cheating. I can't agree with something like that though. There's a certain level of hazing that comes with every online game.. it's something you just have to learn to deal with until you get better. In a lot of ways, it can drive an unskilled player to improve themselvess and show up the "know it all's" who previously bashed them.

Now I can't speak for everyone, but in my case, I've yet to see any real newbie bashing in my time since v.1 on the Dreamcast. For the most part, I've noticed that gamers can generally tell the difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance, can be fixed - by sharing your knowladge of the game with those who are less experienced. The stupid ones, are those who refuse to listen to the advice of those who know better. It's the difference between "Newb" and "Noob".

On that point, yeah, I have seen a lot of "noob" bashing online. And why the hell not? These people are worthless players - not because they innately suck.. but because they simply refuse to better themselves. It seems to me, that many of these people are the ones who turn to cheating. Why should they learn how to play the game, when a few codes can make them just as powerful.. or more powerful?

I guess it doesn't really matter much now, since the game is pretty much dead in the water.

Skorpius
Nov 24, 2004, 11:32 PM
On 2004-11-24 13:17, KaFKa wrote:
thank you for overexplaining something thats been understood for awile now.

and no, most 'elites' will yell at the noob in question with advice that is best learned quickly, hence why its bashed into their faces. if theyre immature enough to have to protect themselves by cheating on an online game, then that says enough about their character to say that they would fall to cheating eventually anyways.

stop trying to act smart, skorpius, because we all know your a hairbrained chucklefuck on your end of the internet connection.

Thank you, KaFKa, for your words of non-existant wisdom. Your flaming is unwanted here, and just because you're "respected" doesn't mean you can openly insult someone. This is the rant section, I ranted, you don't have to respond if you didn't like it.

Solstis
Nov 25, 2004, 02:27 AM
Oh my... people still play this game?

Yes, yes, and PSO is a microcosm of the universe. The class struggle! The class struggle!

(sp?)

Skorpius
Nov 25, 2004, 02:35 AM
Yeah, people still pay $9 a month for Ego boosts and/or Hazings.

Eihwaz
Nov 25, 2004, 02:52 AM
On 2004-11-24 16:06, Ness wrote:
You spent all that time and typed all that just to state the obvious.

This is not without irony.

Skorpius
Nov 25, 2004, 04:49 AM
lol Figures. The attitude DRIPPING off this site is the exact crap I talk about. Why have this inane attitude? By having thse short responses with nothing constructive or nearing anything close to being intelligent responses, you just further enforce my reasoning.

Something can be done about it, though. Certain individuals can get off their high horses, and be constructive to the communities they are present in, instead of saying pointless comments like:
"stop trying to act smart, skorpius, because we all know your a hairbrained chucklefuck on your end of the internet connection."
or
"You spent all that time and typed all that just to state the obvious."

I have seen a lot of "noob" bashing online. And why the hell not? These people are worthless players - not because they innately suck..
How do they suck? I wouldn't want to be Legit either if the first Legit I saw was bashing me because I didnt know what Pallasch was. This is the exact attitude of which I targeted with my topic, this arrogance that overwhelms those who think they're better than other people, as a whole, just because they're "Legit". The problem is, you're just as "evil" as cheaters are, if you can't accept the fact that new players actually log online, instead of bashing them to Vega because of thier lack of gaming experience.

Sagasu
Nov 25, 2004, 05:56 AM
On 2004-11-25 01:49, Skorpius wrote:
lol Figures. The attitude DRIPPING off this site is the exact crap I talk about. Why have this inane attitude? By having thse short responses with nothing constructive or nearing anything close to being intelligent responses, you just further enforce my reasoning.

Well, you see, the thing about that is...

[/inside joke]

Honestly, simple, short packed statements tend to make more of a difference in ones mind than a long rambling sermon. I usually skip half page posts unless they are made by people I recognize as one who normally has something worth saying.

Your an odd one, you seem to cause lots of friction in the forums. I presume this is mainly from making threads that the 'veterans' of the inside group in this forum really disagree with. That and your sorry attitude + a short fuse.

Something can be done about it, though. Certain individuals can get off their high horses, and be constructive to the communities they are present in, instead of saying pointless comments like:
"stop trying to act smart, skorpius, because we all know your a hairbrained chucklefuck on your end of the internet connection."
or
"You spent all that time and typed all that just to state the obvious."

Heh heh..

You see, KaFKa pretty much is an ass everywhere. Sometimes theres ownage++ to his words, and other times its merely loathesome prejudice bull~shit.

But when you have a reputation like yours (one who is always causing trouble with his often conflicting principles and nit-picky attitude) people get tired of hearing the same thing over and over. Its kinda like an unwanted guest showing up at a public party, nobody really likes him, and by all means they don't have to, but theres nothing they can do but give him less than subtle hints to leave.

While the case is not so extreme here, it goes along the same lines. Think, do you have any real aquaintences on this site? People know eachother here, sometimes deeply sometimes not. Like a family, and just like in a family, those who cause trouble are shunned.

So my constructive comment on this is, think about why nobody likes you. If its not worth it to you to try to get along, then leave the site. You have your own high horse. Not once have you backed away from the argument, always have you fought pointless battles of words where no clear victor can be determined. Etc.

I have seen a lot of "noob" bashing online. And why the hell not? These people are worthless players - not because they innately suck..
How do they suck? I wouldn't want to be Legit either if the first Legit I saw was bashing me because I didnt know what Pallasch was. This is the exact attitude of which I targeted with my topic, this arrogance that overwhelms those who think they're better than other people, as a whole, just because they're "Legit". The problem is, you're just as "evil" as cheaters are, if you can't accept the fact that new players actually log online, instead of bashing them to Vega because of thier lack of gaming experience.

Ahaha..

Yeah, but your using one man's words against a community. Thats your first mistake. While you may see your ideals as just, your cannot simply expect everyone to agree with them. Thats your second mistake. There are people who insult new players, they are everywhere; by coming to a place and ranting about these players, you instantly piss off all the player that seem THEIR views to be just. Thats your third mistake.

This is a forum, where people interact with different subjects. In truth, you are as big of an asshole as KaFKa is. Why? It takes two people to argue. We are people, not computer programs, and we make mistakes. We sometimes behave irrationaly, we sometimes post things that are discriminatory, we all are different. Its called diversity, good, no? In a diverse community, you've got to learn to deal with those you hate. The easiest way to do this is simple, stick to those who are kind to you, and if you run into trouble with someone contact the moderators. If you have a problem with the moderators, leave. While we are open to peoples opinions here, there are the core fundamentals, the backbone of the forum, that must be obeyed if we possibly hope for this place to exist with some trace of harmony.

I encourage you to rethink your aggresive attitude. I'm not saying your wrong, I think you have a fine point. Forgive me for saying this, but you utterly lack finesse. Chose your battles, damnit, this whole "got a bone to pick with all of you" deal is just not working out. Allright?

Anyways, I apologize for drifting from the long-lost topic.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sagasu on 2004-11-25 03:01 ]</font>

KodiaX987
Nov 25, 2004, 11:04 AM
Hey guys... Can I 0wn him? Please?

PJ
Nov 25, 2004, 11:11 AM
On 2004-11-24 23:35, Skorpius wrote:
Yeah, people still pay $9 a month for Ego boosts and/or Hazings.

So, it passed your mind that maybe, JUST maybe, that people still pay to have, oh I dunno, fun?

geewj
Nov 25, 2004, 03:01 PM
Bleh, then topic doesn't need this much hostility.

He's just pointing out some observations that he's made, that's all.

If you want to disagree with him, you can do it without calling him a chucklefuck, kafka. You're entitled to saying he doesn't know what he is talking about, but leave out pointless flame.

Everyone: If you want to argue the other side of the argument, then have at it. Just keep it about the argument, and not about anything personal.

Scrub
Nov 25, 2004, 07:32 PM
On 2004-11-24 11:10, Skorpius wrote:
A bunch of stuff I don't want to quote because it wastes space and:
I will not resond to any flaming, or arguing with any point that I have made,

AHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH.

Anyways, this shit happens in every online game. There are the people who play to screw around and have fun(me[most of the time]), and the people who try. While I agree that it is fun to screw around, and that yelling at people for doing dumb things isn't a nice thing, it's also not a nice thing to get in people's way who play to be the best.

People rarely chastise new players, but more incompetent players who don't notice a huge Guide section. I'm also going to bet that 95% of the people who are thankful PSOW came back up are more thankful for being able to talk to their FRIENDS they couldn't talk to otherwise then the guides.

I hate to ruin everybody's shit out there, but Hacking/Cheating/whatthefuckever is part of most games now. Yea, it's a bitch, but you can't do anything about it. People complaining about it and 'REPORTING HAX 2 ADMINZ' isn't going to get shit accomplished because I'm going to wager that:

A) Somebody hacking isn't going to be deeply moved by your twelve page essay on how it hurts your feelings and damages the community.

B) Administraters and Moderators in games have more important shit to deal with then the guy who duped a CCB.

C) Large gaming corporations have bigger worries then a guy who can kill in one shot, being as how they have to worry about their servers getting cracked into more.

n_n I have no idea where I went with this but I was bored at hell and typed my peace.

Jehosaphaty
Nov 27, 2004, 10:25 AM
On 2004-11-25 16:32, GreyPhantasm wrote:
n_n I have no idea where I went with this but I was bored at hell and typed my peace.

why even bother then

Scrub
Nov 27, 2004, 11:32 AM
On 2004-11-27 07:25, Jehosaphaty wrote:

On 2004-11-25 16:32, GreyPhantasm wrote:

why even bother then

It's better then typing something that contributes to absolutely nothing, eh my friend? n_~

KodiaX987
Nov 27, 2004, 10:20 PM
GreyPhantasm wins.

Jehosaphaty
Nov 27, 2004, 10:55 PM
On 2004-11-27 19:20, KodiaX987 wrote:
GreyPhantasm wins.

haha. Well if using horrible grammer (such as peace rather than piece and generally bad typing) accounts for winning then yeah, he's a real weiner winner. His whole rant is one big "oh well it happens, and even though i take part, it still happens and nothing will ever be done about changing it." Newsflash. Just because the world is filled with cheater/hackers doesn't mean people have to like it, and it doesn't mean that they can't do something to try and stop the crap. So maybe nobody will listen...but at least they tried. Rather than take a "it happens and nothing can be done about it" attitude, why not try and better ur gaming experience/ bettering your lives and those around you. This however gets into if people would do better to be better people, the world may not be in its shape today...and that's a rant that's been rehashed over and over.

"peace"

Scrub
Nov 28, 2004, 10:38 AM
Because the point of playing video games is having fun. Instead of worrying about what the people AROUND you do, worry about what YOU do. If a game ever starts to annoy or piss you off, just turn it off for a while.

GAMES are made for FUN, NOT to be AGGRAVATING. While I realize that having these 'Hackers' around you angers YOU, THEY enjoy it, and as they are people too, they can play the game however they want. Don't play with people you dont like. It's a simple concept and works quite well. -____-

Sagasu
Nov 28, 2004, 06:23 PM
What I dont get is holding someone's grammar against them, =/

So far I see three arguments

A) Hacking is bad.

B) Stuff happens, get used to it.

and

C) OMG!11 j0 momma be gay!

My view on the situation,

D)Don't start shit, and there wont be shit.

Thank you, and goodnight.

Shadowpawn
Nov 28, 2004, 06:23 PM
On 2004-11-27 19:55, Jehosaphaty wrote:

On 2004-11-27 19:20, KodiaX987 wrote:
GreyPhantasm wins.

haha. Well if using horrible grammer (such as peace rather than piece and generally bad typing) accounts for winning then yeah, he's a real weiner winner. His whole rant is one big "oh well it happens, and even though i take part, it still happens and nothing will ever be done about changing it." Newsflash. Just because the world is filled with cheater/hackers doesn't mean people have to like it, and it doesn't mean that they can't do something to try and stop the crap. So maybe nobody will listen...but at least they tried. Rather than take a "it happens and nothing can be done about it" attitude, why not try and better ur gaming experience/ bettering your lives and those around you. This however gets into if people would do better to be better people, the world may not be in its shape today...and that's a rant that's been rehashed over and over.

"peace"

Wow, what side of the bed did you wake up on? o.O

Jehosaphaty
Nov 28, 2004, 06:38 PM
On 2004-11-28 15:23, Shadowpawn wrote:

Wow, what side of the bed did you wake up on? o.O

the left side, with the foot of the bed pointing west. haha now that i go back and read that, it sounds more cranky than i intended. it was more in sarcasism than in anything else. however comments like this annoy me:

While I realize that having these 'Hackers' around you angers YOU, THEY enjoy it, and as they are people too, they can play the game however they want.

Okay, so does that mean that even though people cheat on finals, and because they are people too, they're entitled to cheating to get ahead? thats just ridiculous.

Solstis
Nov 28, 2004, 07:00 PM
You spelled "grammar" wrong, genius.

(hey, I already got my one on-topic post in)

Skorpius
Nov 28, 2004, 07:30 PM
Hey, morons, stop spamming my topic.

Sagasu
Nov 28, 2004, 07:42 PM
Were just waiting for this topic to be locked, and messing around untill it is since in most cases we wont get in trouble. plus, to some its considered fun to screw around with a person's head untill they blow up, as you have on numerous occasions.

I myself prefer spam than flames. Don't you agree, moron?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sagasu on 2004-11-28 18:32 ]</font>

Scrub
Nov 28, 2004, 08:38 PM
On 2004-11-28 16:42, Sagasu wrote:
I myself prefer spam than flames. Don't you agree, moron?

xD I love you, Sagasu. Thanks for making me laugh.

Scrub
Nov 28, 2004, 09:17 PM
On 2004-11-28 15:38, Jehosaphaty wrote:

While I realize that having these 'Hackers' around you angers YOU, THEY enjoy it, and as they are people too, they can play the game however they want.

Okay, so does that mean that even though people cheat on finals, and because they are people too, they're entitled to cheating to get ahead? thats just ridiculous.

Yea, let's compare video games to real life because they're the same thing! -_____-

Solstis
Nov 28, 2004, 09:59 PM
On 2004-11-28 16:30, Skorpius wrote:
Hey, morons, stop spamming my topic.

You'll get over it eventually.

Also, as Gre/ay pointed out, player's online personas tend to be the "bizzaro" version of their true personality. Or, rather, the manifestation of their subconscious.

As evident in this forum and many others, you have the compassionate folks (often caring in reality as well), the paladins of righteousness, and the "1337" hax0rs.

Even the most "evil" man online may be a softie in reality (KaFKa being an exception, :P).

(Kudos to Gre/ay for pointing it out)

Jehosaphaty
Nov 28, 2004, 11:54 PM
On 2004-11-28 16:00, Solstis wrote:
You spelled "grammar" wrong, genius.

haha hence the irony. i was gonna say somthing glamourizing principles, but who i am kidding?

geewj
Nov 29, 2004, 10:37 PM
The topic is far from over.

Go play baseball or something.