PDA

View Full Version : depresed

cp99
Dec 4, 2004, 10:15 PM
to start off i will tell you that i have 4 100+.

basicly this is something iv been thinking about for a long time and decided to kick it back to the forums i use to hang out in.

phantasy star online is one of if not the best game ever released i have played phantasy star online since the first one came out in japan on my modded dreamcast (those were the days). i like phantasy star online becouse it was a. unique in that st looked at the games out at the time and saw that they were all flowing in one direction and said hey lets go that way and made a unique a wonderfull experience. i havnt played pso for a couple of months now becouse its my senoir year in high skool and iv been concentraring. i sat down today and played for a couple of hours leveled up my main char and found red mechguns with 25 % hit and i began to feel depresed, now wether this is becouse i forgot my medicine or becouse i realized today that uniqeu games arnt coming out very often anymore, all the game devolpers are concentrating on how relistics the graphics are (doom3 halo2 halflife2) now i love the 3 games i just listed but they arnt as good as the older games for one simple reson they lack that spark of creativeness. sure there intresting and holy crap look at the graphics his body just twitched.

has become my belife that games like pso are a diying breed

Solstis
Dec 4, 2004, 10:35 PM
I was going to make fun of you, but decided that it wasn't worth it.

I do recommend Starbuck's Pumpkin Spice Latte. It's liquid sex. Perhaps that will make you feel better about a game, than in the end, is entirely inconsequential.

(Unless, of course, the universe is just/vaguely like the one described by Douglas Adams)

cp99
Dec 4, 2004, 10:52 PM
yea.. thanks whos douglas adams btw?

Deathscythealpha
Dec 5, 2004, 05:29 AM
On 2004-12-04 19:15, cp99 wrote:
all the game devolpers are concentrating on how relistics the graphics are (doom3 halo2 halflife2) now i love the 3 games i just listed but they arnt as good as the older games for one simple reson they lack that spark of creativeness. sure there intresting and holy crap look at the graphics his body just twitched.

has become my belife that games like pso are a diying breed

Ill have to argue on the Half Life 2 point as i feel it is one of the more creative games of this year. How many other games can you think of that let you pick up a barrel or sheet of wood and let you use it as a make shift shield? How many other games feature so many on the fly weaponery? How many other games drop you into a world where you dont know whats going on (like the lead character) but everything is slowly revealed to you as you read newspaper clippings that have been scattered about or listen to idle chatter from NPC's? HL2 was a very creative game and has alot of unique points that will no doubt be copied to death from now on.

Theres a lot of creative games out there, you just have to knock aside all of the mass market pap.

geewj
Dec 5, 2004, 08:17 AM
On 2004-12-05 02:29, Deathscythealpha wrote:

Theres a lot of creative games out there, you just have to knock aside all of the mass market pap.

Katamari Damacy!!!

Solstis
Dec 5, 2004, 02:04 PM
I'm sorry, but here you are railing on Doom 3, Halo 2, and Halflife 2.

Have you seen ANY real innovation in the Phantasy Star Online series since the Dreamcast v.2?

No?

Because there hasn't been any! Blue Burst is to PSO what you claim Halo 2 is to Halo 1!

I also side with Frink here. If I had a GC (it is GC, correct?) I would have that game.

teflon
Dec 5, 2004, 03:33 PM
PSO was innovative?

Aredhel
Dec 5, 2004, 06:44 PM
PSO was sort of like a fusion of two different genres, reminiscient of old-school beat-em-ups from the SNES days of yore and traditional RPGs. It was just sort of a twist - there is no such thing in video games as innovation anymore. If it hasn't been done before, it's merely just a twist on something old. There's really nothing new under the sun.

Speaking of which, have you gotten any lately? Perhaps the reason you're feeling depressed is because you have formed your life around soemthing so saccharine (gaming) and yearn for something more (social interaction, parties, camping, a job, goals in life, blah, blah, blah).

How's this? Go out into the world and do something nobdy else has ever done before. Your depression will go away, I can almost guarantee it.

Mixfortune
Dec 5, 2004, 06:55 PM
On 2004-12-05 11:04, Solstis wrote:

I also side with Frink here. If I had a GC (it is GC, correct?) I would have that game.

Katamari Damacy is for PS2. And indeed it is fairly creative. Telling people about it makes it seem simple and boring, but you really get into it. Good soundtrack as well, and it's cheap. 20 USD.

KodiaX987
Dec 5, 2004, 06:59 PM
On 2004-12-05 15:44, Aredhel wrote:

Speaking of which, have you gotten any lately? Perhaps the reason you're feeling depressed is because you have formed your life around soemthing so saccharine (gaming) and yearn for something more (social interaction, parties, camping, a job, goals in life, blah, blah, blah).

How's this? Go out into the world and do something nobdy else has ever done before. Your depression will go away, I can almost guarantee it.

What does this bullshit have to do with the topic of video games?

Solstis
Dec 5, 2004, 07:32 PM
On 2004-12-05 15:59, KodiaX987 wrote:

On 2004-12-05 15:44, Aredhel wrote:

Aredhel, have you done something that no one else has yet before? Can you prove it?

Aredhel
Dec 5, 2004, 07:40 PM
On 2004-12-05 15:59, KodiaX987 wrote:

Does this topic really have to do with video games or is this about depression? As far as I can tell, the original poster is depressed because video games have failed to keep him/her excited due to the perceived lack of innovation. I was suggesting that if you don't really find something worthwhile in gaming, maybe it's perhaps time to just move on. Moving on of course entailing a yearn for something more fulfilling in life.

Then again, 'depression' is a term used to blanket a veriety of emotions. Perhaps if the original poster could clarify what they meant by being depressed, we might be able to shed some light on what's truly at hand. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Aredhel
Dec 5, 2004, 07:43 PM
On 2004-12-05 16:32, Solstis wrote:

Aredhel, have you done something that no one else has yet before? Can you prove it?

Comparison is the root of all defeciency. I need not prove what I know to be apparent just as you need not prove that the wind will blow tomorrow.

I think you have an error in focusing on what's important: yourself.

Solstis
Dec 5, 2004, 07:56 PM
On 2004-12-05 16:43, Aredhel wrote:

*ahem*

Mixfortune
Dec 5, 2004, 08:27 PM
On 2004-12-05 16:43, Aredhel wrote:

Comparison is the root of all defeciency. I need not prove what I know to be apparent just as you need not prove that the wind will blow tomorrow.

Yet another statement of the obvious exaggerated and working around answering the question. The point is, by your statement, there are no innovations in video games, yet you suggest to try and do something in real life which has not been done before, which, to say the least, is just as susceptible to the lack of such a thing. 'No new archetypes' is applied to a lot more than just video games. Get to the point and stop trying to hide behind overplayed senses of philosophy where they are not needed.

Aredhel
Dec 5, 2004, 08:33 PM
On 2004-12-05 16:56, Solstis wrote:

*ahem*

So you have led yourself to believe that I am focused on you? lol

Mixfortune
Dec 5, 2004, 08:39 PM
On 2004-12-05 17:33, Aredhel wrote:

On 2004-12-05 16:56, Solstis wrote:

*ahem*

So you have led yourself to believe that I am focused on you? lol

I wouldn't give yourself that much credit.
Most likely he meant something else by that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mixfortune on 2004-12-05 17:39 ]</font>

Aredhel
Dec 5, 2004, 08:45 PM
On 2004-12-05 17:27, Mixfortune wrote:

Yet another statement of the obvious exaggerated and working around answering the question. The point is, by your statement, there are no innovations in video games, yet you suggest to try and do something in real life which has not been done before, which, to say the least, is just as susceptible to the lack of such a thing. 'No new archetypes' is applied to a lot more than just video games. Get to the point and stop trying to hide behind overplayed senses of philosophy where they are not needed.

I see where you're going with this, and I won't dismiss it as nonsense so much as I will an incomplete thought.

I think that many of you deify video games far too much: they are a limited media by the way of things. The possibilty is quite limitless, however, much like real-life is. This is where I believe the completion stops, however.

"To say the least" everything has been done before? Logically, everything that is has been done before - however, can you not derive from the fact that I even bothered to re-state the obvious that people just don't seem to get it? The world is FULL of possibility and each of us is FULL of potential - if we did not have a future, there would be nothing to validate our existence in the present. I doubt that you will achieve this by continuing a cycle of depression because there's nothing new out there. Get up and go make something new if you're so goddamned dissatisfied with discovery! I feel no need to live up to my creative potential right now because I am still discovering the past. As such, I am not depressed because I am satiated with my potential.

If the original poster can comment, I will respond. Until then, let's not turn this into a debate, as I don't believe that's what this was intended to be.

KodiaX987
Dec 5, 2004, 09:11 PM
Time out. Time fucking out.

It's about bloody time I give Aredhel a reality check because this guy can't make the difference between a rant about video games and an existential question, and everyone else has been too much of a pussy to tell him right in his face.

Every single thread I see you post in, you have to make a comment about how the poster feels about himself. If you're majoring in psychology, you love your future job a lot more than what's good for your health. And if that's not even your field of study, then your behavior is even worse. I see nothing in your posts except a psychological copy-paste thrown into MS Word's summarizer to make it seem like it was composed from scratch. Jesus, you don't even answer the guy's question; like fucking hell he'll make a reply to you. He doesn't have any material to reply to! It's just empty bullshit that doesn't bring anything into the conversation!

Come on boy. You're a smart guy, you've passed adulthood, you're able to read posts on the Internet - yeah, you'll tell me you can do that, but I ain't seeing anything. I'm not seeing proof that you can stick to the topic and answer it directly without having to do 360s around the subject until Hell freezes over. Bitch at me all you want, your posts have less substance than a n00b's hello-welcome message in the Lounge. For God's sake, save yourself some typing and save me some trouble - stop thinking every single article you see is a discussion about the nature of the universe. If you can't do that simple task, you have no reason to be even posting on a forum.

And if you decided to play the lazy boy and skim over my post, I prepared some backup and stuck it into a neat little express package:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/Shurikane/wtfj00.jpg

Aredhel
Dec 5, 2004, 10:30 PM
Ah, so you've noticed the escalation of each thread I post in as well?

It usually starts out, as it did in this thread, as a small comment on my part - I suggested that if the poster is not happy with video games, that there's probably something else to it and his alleged 'depression'. If you haven't noticed, I restrict myself to the rants section of this forum because I like to help people by testing them; questions arise within each individual, and I help myself by forcing such allegations upon them and seeing the reaction. I am just that kind of person here. You make assumptions based on my person, yet you do not know who is behind this visage - you know only a user named Aredhel - this has nothing to do with who is behind the computer so don't let yourself be fooled in thinking that you know who the fuck I am. I suppose this can be applied to each and every one of us, the only difference is, I don't make assumptions as to who you are, seeing as how I don't really care.

I have taken my stance on who I portray myself as. Though it is not truly far from who I am, certain differences remain and if you actually knew me, there would be no contention about this. So you can just change your title there, as I have no quarrel with "KodiaX987".

Solstis
Dec 5, 2004, 10:39 PM
On 2004-12-05 19:30, Aredhel wrote:

It usually starts out, as it did in this thread, as a small comment on my part - I suggested that if the poster is not happy with video games, that there's probably something else to it and his alleged 'depression'. If you haven't noticed, I restrict myself to the rants section of this forum because I like to help people by testing them; questions arise within each individual, and I help myself by forcing such allegations upon them and seeing the reaction.

So... you spend your time on PSOW helping people with contrived logic and obvious solutions?

You sound just like my ex, and he was an asshole. People tend to not like being tested by the presumptious. You my friend, at least online, are as such.

Take a long look into the monitor, and get over your poorly developed online persona.

KodiaX987
Dec 5, 2004, 10:46 PM
On 2004-12-05 19:30, Aredhel wrote:
Ah, so you've noticed the escalation of each thread I post in as well?

It usually starts out, as it did in this thread, as a small comment on my part - I suggested that if the poster is not happy with video games, that there's probably something else to it and his alleged 'depression'. If you haven't noticed, I restrict myself to the rants section of this forum because I like to help people by testing them; questions arise within each individual, and I help myself by forcing such allegations upon them and seeing the reaction. I am just that kind of person here. You make assumptions based on my person, yet you do not know who is behind this visage - you know only a user named Aredhel - this has nothing to do with who is behind the computer so don't let yourself be fooled in thinking that you know who the fuck I am. I suppose this can be applied to each and every one of us, the only difference is, I don't make assumptions as to who you are, seeing as how I don't really care.

I have taken my stance on who I portray myself as. Though it is not truly far from who I am, certain differences remain and if you actually knew me, there would be no contention about this. So you can just change your title there, as I have no quarrel with "KodiaX987".

I was gonna make another couple paragraphs of burns, but then I thought "Wait a minute... Thanks to the way he did his reply, my point's proven." Sweet!

Aredhel
Dec 5, 2004, 10:53 PM
On 2004-12-05 19:39, Solstis wrote:

So... you spend your time on PSOW helping people with contrived logic and obvious solutions?

http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/OCCAMRAZ.html

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Aredhel on 2004-12-05 19:57 ]</font>

PhotonDrop
Dec 5, 2004, 10:55 PM
On 2004-12-05 19:53, Aredhel wrote:

http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/OCCAMRAZ.html (http://insight is only a click away)

quote the server, "404" :/

Aredhel
Dec 5, 2004, 10:56 PM
On 2004-12-05 19:46, KodiaX987 wrote:

I was gonna make another couple paragraphs of burns, but then I thought "Wait a minute... Thanks to the way he did his reply, my point's proven." Sweet!

And so, you have proven once again that you exist here to "burn" others. What, exactly, puts you in a position to judge me?

Mixfortune
Dec 5, 2004, 10:58 PM

http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/OCCAMRAZ.html (http://insight is only a click away)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Aredhel on 2004-12-05 19:53 ]</font>

Other way around.
And I'd try to apply some of that to yourself.

Aredhel
On 2004-12-05 19:55, PhotonDrop wrote:

quote the server, "404" :/

Yeah, looks like that function's not up yet. : (

Solstis

http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/OCCAMRAZ.html

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Aredhel on 2004-12-05 19:57 ]</font>

Define the minimum, which you obviously did not provide.

Mixfortune
Dec 5, 2004, 10:59 PM
On 2004-12-05 19:56, Aredhel wrote:

On 2004-12-05 19:46, KodiaX987 wrote:

And so, you have proven once again that you exist here to "burn" others. What, exactly, puts you in a position to judge me?

The same thing that brings various others to rants. What, exactly, puts you in a position to cast revelation of the universe for topics such as these?
It loses its affect rather quickly, when the answer to everything is the same exaggerated concept.

Mixfortune
Dec 5, 2004, 11:03 PM
insight is only a click away (http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/OCCAMRAZ.html)

This is what he meant.
Unfortunately, I doubt this will turn anyone's life around.

Solstis
Dec 5, 2004, 11:04 PM
On 2004-12-05 20:03, Mixfortune wrote:
insight is only a click away (http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/OCCAMRAZ.html)

This is what he meant.
Unfortunately, I doubt this will turn anyone's life around.

But, they could learn a tad more about scientific modeling.

Aredhel
Dec 5, 2004, 11:09 PM
There is an inequivalence here - I pose questions and concepts while others seem perfectly content with their ad hominems.

When you shed excess variables, such as video games in relation to life-goals, you can realize the simplicity of the problem at hand. My responses may seem contrived, but that is merely because you fail to realize the concepts I pose - or you just choose to ignore them. -OR- you would rather focus on the small stuff like "when iz da newest video gamezz comming outzorzz"???? Or "it's all the same, I don't like them all being the same, there's nothing new anymore, I'd do something with my life, but I'm le tired".

See how Occam's Razor all of a sudden makes sense in this instance? It's a progressive thought:

think about person debating > debate, itself > concepts at hand

Let's move beyond stage 2 shall we?

[my word, glad I finally jump-started this forum after so much desolation http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif ]

KodiaX987
Dec 5, 2004, 11:13 PM
Extract from #psow, live:

<Blahgle> He really ought to come in here,
<Alielle> I think he posted the Occam's Razor link as an example of exactly what he's NOT doing
<Xylly> o.o
<Blahgle> Not giving the simple solution?
<Miximum> "But, they could learn a tad more about scientific modeling."
<Miximum> hahaha
<Alielle> DIE DIE DIE

Sayara
Dec 5, 2004, 11:18 PM
You know, i've meaning to say this you say you wish to help people when they rant and you give them your condolances or whatever, thats cool. However, when one would care to read what you say it becomes an absolute nightmare of comprension. Would it be much to ask if you would make a little more sense when you type? Not everyone is a major of the english language (let alone have it as premiere language) and would be startled by such a huge and gasping response you give.

You get what i am saying? Your posts are thoughtful and concernful i guess but the way you say it totally blows over everyones head. So next time... can it be in simpler english please?

geewj
Dec 6, 2004, 06:20 PM
What was this about again? How they don't make games like pso anymore?

Yeah, a damn shame.