PDA

View Full Version : oh PS2, how I hate thee

Evil_Althena8
Dec 26, 2004, 08:44 PM
So I've finally came to the conclusion that I honestly hate PS2. Actually, I like the games for PS2, I just hate the system itself. Here's the situation: We have 3 PS2s in my house. All of them are malfunctional in some way. We have our "original" PS2 that we got when it first came out, My PS2 that I just got brand new last Christmas, and my brother's PS2 that he just recently got....used however. We've had to send in our "original" PS2 about 3 times to get it fixed because it stopped reading DVD format discs...multiple times. It's a flaw that apparently exists in thousands of PS2s. My brand new PS2, it works just fine with reading DVD format discs, which are most PS2 games. It, however, has trouble reading PS1 discs....I don't know why this is. It also cannot read burned music CDs for the life of it unlike our old PS2, which could read burned music CDs perfectly. Whenever I put a burned cd into my PS2 it spins the disc really fast, turns on the fan, and it sounds like it's about to blow up. Then there's my bro's PS2. I has the same problem as our old PS2 in that it has trouble reading DVD format discs. It reads burned CD's HOWEVER it occasionally makes them skip.

3 PS2s, all with different aspects that make them special. One reads burned CDs and PS1 games, one reads only DVD discs, and the other reads burned CDs and PS1 games....sort of. This is why I hate PS2. Why can't Sony just make machines that actually WORK correctly. It's almost as though they have personalities, each likes certain things and operates in certain ways. I haven't yet seen the same problems so evident in Xbox or Gamecube. I'm sure there are some bad apples...but like THIS? It blows ass because since I don't have a CD player, I have to switch PS2s to listen to music or to play games, accordingly. Why can't there be one perfect PS2 system that does everything it's supposed to do without screwing up in 3 months. If there is one, I haven't seen it.

Scrub
Dec 26, 2004, 10:37 PM
All manners set their shit to all of a sudden stop working after a certain amount of time has passed, I know it.=/ I had the same disc reading error with my gamecube, and ALL 3 of the have a problem with the C-stick.-_-;

PJ
Dec 26, 2004, 11:18 PM
That's probably why Nintendo made a solely gaming console.

Simpler console, of course, I din't know anything about the hardware itself, so I could jsut be talking crap ^-^;;;

I hear less problems about GC's then I do with XBox/PS2, and PS2 definately I hear the msot about.

That's why it has higher sales, people buying new ones? XP

AzureBlaze
Dec 26, 2004, 11:55 PM
This is why I am afraid of Sony.
I listen to everyone who is like "Sony ROX kill Nintendummy and Xbarf and the world will be great" and I can only shake my head and hope it doesn't come true. Can you imagine what would happen?

The dude who started the "EA Is a Monopoly" post somewhere on PSOW because they bought the rights to NFL is justifiedly worried. (if that is a word) You are not the only one with a PS2 that doesn't work, or doesn't do everything. It's an epidemic, as far as I can tell. And it shouldn't have to be that way. If you buy something, it should WORK unless you somehow do something terrible to it. If they made a car that wouldn't do left turns without breaking? Or one that promises trunk space but then the trunk is only enough to hold a can of beans? They would be yelled out of business...yet somehow...they are getting away with doing the equivelent to people's game systems.

Oh, and how about that hard drive? "Oh it will do tons of things! It's awesomely useful, game makers will use it all the time. And you SOCOM folks? Buy it right away! New lvls!" Uhhh, not? I have a friend who loves socom and hates FFXI, and he just lost all that money cause they didn't follow up.

If sony ruled the game world, I don't think it'd make them any more moral about making consoles that work and periferals that are useful and quality control on their games.

KodiaX987
Dec 27, 2004, 12:17 AM
What I find saddening is that despite consoles breaking down like crazy, people still go and buy new ones again. I mean come on, the thing is a fucking time bomb waiting to blow up, and when it does, oh, it passed expiration date, gotta go get a new one. The way I see it, you could legally pass off gaming consoles as food. After a while, they become rotten!

Oh well, they'll just keep on doing it.

Know why?

'Cause it works.

Noticed? Sony released a slim PS2. Everyone rushed to get one. Even people who already had a full-size PS2. What's the fucking point? Unless you live in a stuffed apartment where you can't take a step without stepping on your dog's dick, why go for the overprized slim jim when you could've just done the same job with the original?

Oh well, as long as there'll be annoying kids, there will be consoles.

And I sure ain't buying my son a console. He'll use emulators and I'll save my fucking cash!

Ness
Dec 27, 2004, 09:09 AM
My friends have had similar problems with their PS2's. Not only that, but the movie playing software that comes with PS2 has compatibility issues. For example it won't play several movies and when they release a new version, they may fix some of the compatibility issues, but movies that would play on an older version will no longer work on the newer one.

AUTO_
Dec 27, 2004, 01:34 PM
I've fixed my PS2 (got it about 2 months after the consoles release) 3 times now, opening it up and adjusting the laser to fix disc read errors.

I got FFXI for xmas and the online start up disc has a blue underside=bad fucking luck for my/most PS2's.

I had to open it up and adjust the laser so the blue disc would work, then had to re-adjust the laser so all of my other games would work.

It took about 3 hours to do, and I was seriously contemplating throwing my PS2 through a window once and for all.

digigram
Dec 28, 2004, 11:39 AM
I have owned my PS2 for three years now. I have never had a problem with it.. ever.

DVD compatibility issues = none
DVD remote setup disc = none
BBA setup and installation/config = no problems
reading burned music cd's = none

I could go on and on.

My Gamecube has never had problems, but I play that about 10% total compared to all of my other systems.

XBOX, however, has been giving me shit since I got it.

At first, splinter cell would freeze and hang.
Been getting multiple "Error reading disc, make sure it is not dirty" type errors when playing fable and morrowind.

and PSO freezes constantly.

Solstis
Dec 28, 2004, 02:38 PM
Digi, I bet you have a first-gen xbox. I forget which dvd drive it was, but some of them have developed problems.

Mine did (got that sucka fixed).

Skorpius
Dec 28, 2004, 06:35 PM
WHen will people realise that Sony is crap? Always has been, and always will be. Just because it can glitter and tooast your bread doesn't make it good.

digigram
Dec 28, 2004, 08:00 PM
Solstis, the funny thing is, It is refurbished, so at one point, it had a problem and had it's guts replaced...

I need to just get a NEW new one.

Would have liked to get one of the green ones, but alas, I couldn't justify spending the extra 179.99 on a new xbox when i already had one.

Nai_Calus
Dec 28, 2004, 11:03 PM
On 2004-12-28 15:35, Skorpius wrote:
WHen will people realise that Sony is crap? Always has been, and always will be. Just because it can glitter and tooast your bread doesn't make it good.

You made my computer sad. :( Apologize to him. ;_;

My PS2's never given me problems, but then, I've never used it that much. And I still keep my PSX on hand. Can't do a swap trick on a PS2.

Link00seven
Dec 29, 2004, 12:02 AM
I've never liked PS2.

A: The games seem half assed. Everything i've played on that system is junk, with the exception of a few RPG's.

B: The console is the most poorly built system i've ever seen. It feels flimsy in my hand, and its always giving me problems.

Outrider
Dec 29, 2004, 08:08 PM
The funny thing is that Sony was originally founded to show that Japanese electronics could be high-quality. (Well, at least that's what my brother's fancy business degree has told him.)

Seriously, I can only think of a handful of people who haven't had problems with their Playstations or Playstation 2s. My friends' Playstation skips if they don't turn it upside down. My PS2 won't accept the Dualshock 2 controller anymore (So long, Kingdom Hearts... the one game I own that won't work with a PS1 Dualshock.) It also won't accept my brother's Dance Pads. My friend's PS2 stops reading the controller midway through a game. If you look at a Playstation funny, it'll spaz out and die.

It's because of Sony's crap hardware that I really fear for people who are getting the PSP. Handhelds can be flimsy enough, what happens when you add that to the track-record of the Playstation?

I'd brag about how none of my Nintendo systems ever given me trouble, except just recently my N64 hasn't been starting games right until I re-adjust the cartridge and my Gamecube flipped out on my in the middle of a lengthy Metroid Prime 2 session and spit out a disc read error.

Oh well. There's always that story about the Gameboy from back in the day that still worked after a house burned down around it, right?

TheOneHero
Dec 29, 2004, 08:55 PM
On 2004-12-29 17:08, Outrider wrote:

Oh well. There's always that story about the Gameboy from back in the day that still worked after a house burned down around it, right?

Kinda funny since my house caught on fire a few years ago when I lived in Colorado...all of our nintendo products still worked afterward. Despite that, my parents traded everything in for money.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TheOneHero on 2004-12-29 18:01 ]</font>

_Sinue_
Dec 30, 2004, 10:01 AM
I find that story funny, because my GameBoy broke after about 3 years of service. The LCD screen just went completely black as soon as you turned it on. Ocassionally, a good smack could get it working again - but a very small bump would turn it black again. I finally got PO'd and threw it against my bedroom wall where it proceded to break into about 50 or 60 different pieces. It just came apart.

By that time I had already had a Game-Gear, so I wasn't to upset. After about 5 years, it's screen started to die on me too. Me and some friends I was sith threw it against the ground several times, and only manged to break the plastic over the screen. Sliced my thumb open to the point where I probly should have gotten stiches on the last throw. After that we just ran over it with the car about 6 times. Screen was still broken, but you could hear the game playing through the mangled speaker.

I haven't had any problems with my Sega Nomad or GameBoy Advance though.

KodiaX987
Dec 30, 2004, 11:07 AM
It's called a Dreamcast. It never fails.

At least not unless my father fieldgoals it across the living room. >_>

The above story is true, by the way.

Link00seven
Dec 30, 2004, 12:05 PM
On 2004-12-30 08:07, KodiaX987 wrote:

Amen to THAT! My Dreamcast is the most reliable CD-based system I've ever used.

I put CD based because my original NES, SNES, and N64 still work and they're much older ^_^

Scrub
Dec 30, 2004, 12:31 PM
Your NES still works?

I have to let a leafblower run on the cartridges for a week before mine starts up.=/

Link00seven
Dec 30, 2004, 12:54 PM
It's a bitch to get the games to load sometimes, but it does still work, which is more then I can say for some of the PS2's I've come across in my life.

Wyndham
Dec 30, 2004, 12:59 PM
I had a gameboy colour go through the shower, fall doen the stairs, fall in the road from on a bike, get stepped on countless times, get thrown at a pedestrian, and dropped out of a two story window, yet it stll worked fine.
case felt like sandpaper thogh.

_Sinue_
Dec 30, 2004, 03:30 PM
I seem to be the polar opposite of everyone else. My Dreamcast is having a helluva time with DRE's lately. I've fixed it once by adjusting the tiney screw on the back of the lense - but 3 months later and the problems are stating up again. My Genesis also busted early in it's life. For some reason the controller port would always read that I was pushing down and left - even when there was no controller attached at all.

As for the PS2.. I've had one for about 3 years now and haven't had any problems. I replaced the case with a flip-top lid to play the SegaAges games and other imports. My PSX is having DRE's, but considering the amount of abuse I've put it though - I'm surprised it runs at all. It's an early model, back when it still had the big I/O port on the back. Got it around Christmas in 1996. There's been so many times I've fallen asleep playing it and rolled over - yanking the system down off the entertainment center to the hard-wood floor. I'd wake up to find it laying upside down and lid open - with the game disk resting about a foot away. Still, all you have to do is turn it upside down and it works great.

My N64 on the other hand, seems to have a short in the power-cord. If it's power base is not set just right - it won't turn on.. or will randomly reset you in the middle of the game. It also has a habit of not wanting to run unless the cartridge is perfectly centered.

My NGC used to have a bit of a problem with DRE's, which I attributed to PSO (since my DC originally died from v.2 overload) but I haven't had one in awhile.

PJ
Dec 30, 2004, 03:51 PM
On 2004-12-30 08:07, KodiaX987 wrote:

Mine did. Twice >.>

Never bought a new one though. Just got it repaired.

All my CD-based systems seem to die in 1.5 years of use T_T

Genoa
Dec 31, 2004, 04:09 AM
Yeah, Sony's evil. I like there games very much, but... PS2 is a piece of crap. My PS2, when trying to play PS1 games, sounds like i'ts gunna blow up as well (makes really loud screeching disk sound), Some DVD's wont play, Some Music Disks won't play, even some PS2 games won't play, if there's a lil scratch on the disk... the PS2 want's to explode on it... argh, PS2's Satan.

Gamecube was perfect, never had a problem with it. So simple. I need an evil engineer to invent a device that can convert PS2 games into small GC disks that will play for GC so I can play them... ON GC!!!! .... but it won't happen because the world is a money-grubbing sonova-****** and doens't wanna share because they have to the be the bestest in da whole wide world... and i'm going on about non-sense so i'm going to do myself a favor and stfu now..