PDA

View Full Version : Stupid computers

dude3282
Jan 1, 2005, 06:30 PM
Yeah, I'm here, finally. No thanks to some crappy software. Actually, I have no clue what's wrong, but our internet has been screwed up for weeks. When we got out for Christmas break, December 19th I think, Dad tried to hook up some more computers to our home network. We previously had our cable modem running into a router, so the two computers and my gamecube could all get online. Well, Dad was nice and wanted to set up some more computers so we could play Starcraft and such over the LAN. Well, he somehow screwed everything up because now we can't get the router to work at all. He took out the splitters that he had and it still didn't work. He got a new Linksys and reinstalled everything and that didn't work. Now, the only way anyone in the house can get connected is to plug directly into the cable modem. And we've already had someone try to steal our connection - the router took care of our firewall, so without it we're pretty vulnerable.

So, in short, our LAN is screwed over and we don't know how to fix it. It's one thing to mess something up that you don't know much about; then you know you can read the instruction manual or get someone who knows what they're doing to help you. It's 10x more frustrating when you think you know something very thoroughly and it decides to blow up in your face. My dad has probably taught networking courses (he's the program manager of the computer training at a local college) and he has no idea what to do. It sucks.

On the bright side of things, I got a project recently. I'm making a web page (http://www.66oceanpoint.com) for some people who own a house down on the beach that they rent out during the year. Dad anticipates a lot more of these kind of jobs coming in, so that's good news. It's just that whenever I go to work on this stuff, I have to unplug and plug into the cable modem, and I can only work when Mom's not working (she does medical transcription at home), which is a bit inconvenient.

Eh, that wasn't too angry. Maybe this belongs in FKL or something.

Sayara
Jan 1, 2005, 06:47 PM
Sounds icky... but i'd suggust getting professionals to do the job. Dont fret, as Plumbers need plumbers, Networkers need networkers

BrokenHope
Jan 2, 2005, 06:47 AM
Eh if he didn't change any network settings then I don't see how there can be a problem just plugging stuff back in =/

Stormsworder
Jan 2, 2005, 10:51 PM
Owch. That's gotta stink. My PC just enjoys to crash randomly and end up making me rewrite a five page report that I was doing for school. Trust me, that's really happened. Teacher threatened to call my mom if I ever use a broken PC as an excuse again. *sighs* Why me...