PDA

View Full Version : Its just not worth it.

Sagasu
Jan 6, 2005, 07:22 PM
I'm tired, so I'll make this brief.

I woke up today around noon, headed downstairs to do my daily business. Now, I've been saving up for this (http://store1.yimg.com/I/greatsword_1825_21378811) so I've been looking for various sorts of income. Now, it had been snowing the previous evening, alll night, and into the morning, so a fair amount of snow had piled up. But now the clouds were parting and the sun was shining, perfect time to shovel the driveway. Now, My father said he'd be willing to pay me to clear the driveway, so, trying to get the apple of my eye, I accepted and headed out at 12:20 pm to clear our Driveway.

The snow was about half a foot to seven inches high, and it was still snowing lightly. Now, I wish to clarify something.

We dont have a driveway,

We have a parking lot. A long and wide strip off asphalt circles around one half of our house, and is wide on two ends (imagine the reciever on a normal phone)Now, we dont use the back part of this parking lot in the winter, so that didn't need to be shoveled, but theres still was a decent amoutn of work to do. Decent as in, enough space for 18-20 SUV's.

Now, I have this hypothesis that once one starts working, they loose motivation to move onward if they stop. So, I had a sizable task before me, and I knew that if I wanted to finish before nightfall then I would have to skip breaks of any kind. So for four and a half hours, I moved several tons of snow from our parking lot to the sides. Four and a half hours of non-stop lifting.

Yeah, good thing I'm not the weakest kid on the planet. It was still pretty damn cold, so eventually parts of my went numb and I didn't have to feel much aching during this process, just strain. Nearing the end of this task, I would stop from tiem to time to pant and refuel my muscles, (Fuel aka air). So anyone who saw me could obviously tell I'm on the ropes end here, and just trying to finish the last little ten foot by ten foot square of snow. It was about this time that my father decided that it would be nice to come outside and take some pictures of the sunset. (his hobby)

He came outside and complimented my work, it was truly nicely done, I had made sure of that, and went off to set up his camera. Seeing that I was quite tired, he decided to help me out a little bit. And here is where the rant begins.

Now my father has always been one to joke, but with someone who was tired as I was, we tend to have little tolerence for humor. So one of the first thing he comments on is that he was glad I was doing the work, even if I looked like agent smith. (A comment about my widescreen sunglasses. I woke up, looked out and was nearly blinded by the sun reflecting off the white washed world. So I'm somewhat irritated by this comment,and also just trying to finish up so that I can sit the fuck down for the first time in four and a half hours. Now the next thing I hear, goes along the lines like this.

Father:

"You know, your really did a lot more than I intended. I just needed a path for the car. Maybe you can talk to brad about you shovelling his dirveway.."

Me:

"..."

Brad is a non-related man who lives with us, and shares the rent of our large abode. We all share the large parkinglot. His room is seperate from the main house, which is why my father inclined about his part of the asphault. So I'm thinking to myself, your the one who wanted the direway cleared, not specifying how much of it, and now you want me to go talk to Brad about recieving some compensation for the extra work(several more tons of snow) that I did? I hardly consider that fair, Brad did not ask for it, thus, I'm not going to even begin to think about charging him for it.

So more silence from me, more annoyance festering within, and that last patch of snow suddenly seems a lot larger. Now, obviously, more akward silence is an invintation for more annoying comments, or so he seemed to believe.

Father:

"Since you've cleared a path already, you should just toss tho snow over it so that you dont drop more snow on what you've already cleared." My father begins tossing snow over one of the clear paths (about another 8 feet)

Me:

"I don't have enough energy to toss snow around. And look, your still getting snow all over the place." I motion to the ground, where he is rapidly spreading more snow than I have in the time that I have been working on this patch. Now, I know hes only trying to be considerate. And I know I'm exaggerating here, but the next comment made me about ready to blow."

Father:

"Well thats because some asshole(me) decided to clear the snow from the wrong side first."

Me:

"..." At this point in time I was just trying to block the rest of his comments out. SO, he wanders off to take pictures of the sunset, and I finish my job. Drink several glasses of warm water, and prepared for a nice hot shower. I'm tired, my face is red and stinging due to the wicked contrast in temperatures, I'm rubbing my digits to restor the bloodflow, and am overall a nice little angry ball of rage.

On my way up the stairs, and over to my room, I pass by his. Here I inquire how much I would be recieving for this,

Father:

"How long did you work?"

Me:

"Four and a half hours."

Father:

"Lets call it $25."

Me:

"..."

"I four and a half hours without stopping, by the way."

Father:

"What do yoiu want, a medal?"

Me:

"..."

So I go to my room gathe rup some clothes, take a nice long shower, and come here. Now in this time, I've decided that it is not worth it.

I'll probably forget about it tommorow, and all the same, I'm $25 closer to my prize.

geewj
Jan 6, 2005, 07:43 PM
So here is what happens.

He says he needs the driveway shoveled.

You shovel way more than he needed.

Now, if he only needed so much work done, and you go and do more work on your own, then why should he be obligated to pay for the extra work?

Sure, he never told you how much of it he wanted done, but you never asked either.

It's nice and all that you went the extra mile, but if I never intended to pay for it, then I shouldn't have to. Kind of like how brad never asked for it to be done, well neither did your dad.

Sagasu
Jan 6, 2005, 07:45 PM
True, but in essence thats not really what I'm talking about.

I dont get upset over silly things like that, only silly things like pride. And my dad has a stabpride++ equipped.

geewj
Jan 6, 2005, 07:48 PM
Eh, the rest seemed to be spoken all in good fun, and you just wern't in a good mood at the time.

It's the intent of the comment that matters, not how you take it.

How you take it is dependent on your mood.

The intent is the same regardless.

Scrub
Jan 6, 2005, 07:52 PM
I don't know about your dad, but my Gramma'll do stuff like that to me(or used to, then I stopped working).

Sometimes if I showed I wasn't really upset about being payed only a little, she would pay me more later saying that my attitude showed I was mature and deserved it.=D Score!

ABDUR101
Jan 6, 2005, 08:27 PM
Atleast you got paid. I never got paid for shoveling the driveway(nor any other stuff that was to be done around the house), and we have two that extend quite a ways from the road, aren't covered in asphalt(usually stone or slate, so imagine trying to shovel snow and not getting into whats beneath) and one is basically a hilled driveway that leads up next to the house while the other leads below the house.

Eventually after some years and when I stopped caring if anyone got out of the driveway or not and stopped shovelling altogether, dad bought a snow blower and was more than glad to do it himself in a fraction of the time it took my brother and I. =]

But hurray, $25 closer to what you want. PROGRESS! Woooo!

Sagasu
Jan 6, 2005, 08:31 PM
In the last few days I've amounted half what I need.

Don't ask me how, but I have ~.~

And ja, I know I'm not the poorest bastard that ever walked the earth. Thanks for reminding me http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Daikarin
Jan 7, 2005, 07:06 AM
On 2005-01-06 16:22, Sagasu wrote:

So one of the first thing he comments on is that he was glad I was doing the work, even if I looked like agent smith. (A comment about my widescreen sunglasses. I woke up, looked out and was nearly blinded by the sun reflecting off the white washed world. So I'm somewhat irritated by this comment,and also just trying to finish up so that I can sit the fuck down for the first time in four and a half hours.

If you can't take humour after a hard day's work, you should learn there are times to laugh at yourself. It was not like he was bullying you or anything.

Would it cost ya to smile at his joke, even if you didn't like it?

"..." At this point in time I was just trying to block the rest of his comments out. SO, he wanders off to take pictures of the sunset, and I finish my job. Drink several glasses of warm water, and prepared for a nice hot shower. I'm tired, my face is red and stinging due to the wicked contrast in temperatures, I'm rubbing my digits to restor the bloodflow, and am overall a nice little angry ball of rage.

You acted honestly, and did the right thing.

Don't just let every tiny thing get to you.

On my way up the stairs, and over to my room, I pass by his. Here I inquire how much I would be recieving for this,

Father:

"How long did you work?"

Me:

"Four and a half hours."

Father:

"Lets call it $25."

Me:

"..."

"I four and a half hours without stopping, by the way."

Father:

"What do you want, a medal?"

Me:

"A RECEIPT, A BIT LESS BITCHING, AND IF YOU DO THAT YOU CAN KEEP THE MEDAL TO YOURSELF."

That's what I would have told my pops,(on a low tone, of course) if it were me.

Btw, I'm not sure you if should follow my example. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Even_Jin on 2005-01-07 04:09 ]</font>

navci
Jan 7, 2005, 11:36 AM
What I find with parents type people is, it is always good to negotiate the price before working for them. Cuz they usually want more from you than they do from other kid.

Anyway. I just got up, I am not really coherent. But hey! At least you got 25 bucks, as well as working out your muscles. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Rest! Get a hot bath.
Relax. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif You deserve it!

Wyndham
Jan 7, 2005, 07:52 PM
when I do a job like that, and morre than I was supposed to, my reward is not getting a pounishmeent for not shovelling a driveway.
yet there are several able-bodied people in the house, but I get all grunt work.
and babysitting.

Anubis_
Jan 9, 2005, 02:47 PM
Atleast you got paid. I never got paid for shoveling the driveway(nor any other stuff that was to be done around the house),

That applies to me aswell..

when I do a job like that, and morre than I was supposed to, my reward is not getting a pounishmeent for not shovelling a driveway.

That also applies to me...

I dont get upset over silly things like that, only silly things like pride.

And believe it or not,, that makes you pretty normal..

But if you ask me,, Pride is like Icing.. It's nice ot have it for a reason,, But if you just use it by itself it'll only make yourself sick..

And you never said you asked how mutch had to be shoveled... Which doesn't make him liable for your payment..

I hate it when someone makes jokes like that when i'm tired after a big job too.. I also no were your coming from when the same person tries to go over your work, unappreciatively undoing what it took you so long to do..

But you'll be grown and out of the house soon enough.. Then you can pay bills and go to work and live in your own house like the rest of us..

Sagasu
Jan 9, 2005, 09:17 PM
Quite obviously he was joking, and quite obviously I was his son, panting and trying to finish up a job at his wits end. Though I doubt he would have joked a thing If I had complained, and quite possibly offer pity, and for those who dont know it yet.

I despise pity.

On 2005-01-07 16:52, Oran1324 wrote:
yet there are several able-bodied people in the house, but I get all grunt work.
and babysitting.

Haha. You poor bloke.

I'm not sure whether your trying to convince me wether I should be silent since you have it worse off, or are making absolutely no point at all and have no other way of contibuting to the thread other than to create an alternate topic. Which while I find annoying, since you could simply make your own thread to which you can complain, is highly non important so theres no reason to fuss.

But seing as there was nothing worthwhile to comment on, I just pointed this out instead to that it might look like I paticularily cxare for the responses given here. (by far I believe the only advice I've taken to heart or head from this thread, was to enjoy a nice hot bath.)

so,

On 2005-01-09 11:47, Anubis_ wrote:

And believe it or not,, that makes you pretty normal..

Ahahaha..

Well, no, it doesnt.

I'm not paticularily saddened to inform you, that I am by far possibly one of the more not-normal people you will ever converse with. I would need to write a novel on my life to for you to have a chance of understanding, so I will not attempt to do so in this post.

Whereas with icicng, you have the choice of "shall I have it? or shall I not" While with pride..

Its not something so easily thrown away.

You see it all the time, in schools, at work, just walking around the neighborhood (if you live in one), people act and behave in such ways that just.. well.. let us not go there.

I find that pride, itself does not make oneself sick, it makes oneself proud, and have confidence in themselves. And it creates a loathing of those who do not posess the qualities that you yourself, pride yourself for. This lack of compassion creates the sickening effect that you mentioned, but only if we are suddenly turned against ourselves, as most people are in all due time.

Mmm, feeling cynical, irritated, and I daresay quite pessimistic. So instead of posting any more snide comments wich will undoubtedly earn me unfavorable attention, I retreat for the time being, untill a beter mood arises.

Solstis
Jan 9, 2005, 10:33 PM
Go read "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" by Kundera.

Wait are you waiting for? Shoo! Shoo!

Skorpius
Jan 9, 2005, 10:47 PM
You didn't get your sharp pointy object. ;(