PDA

View Full Version : another FFXI horror story

Evil_Althena8
Jan 6, 2005, 10:01 PM
sadly, I too have been affected by this evil game. It has turned my friends into puddles of slime, completely obsessed puddles of slime. One week ago my good friend Ben got FFXI for PS2 out of the blue. He's not usually the type to get obsessed over games, ESPECIALLY online games, let alone an MMORPG. He is now obsessed with the damn game. Less than a week after that, my friend John bought it. Then, the day after that, which was a couple days ago, my best friend Charles got it(from the $200 that his mom just gave him for some reason). He's been wanting to get it for awhile. Now that the 3 of them all have it, all they do is play with each other. Charles walks to Johns house to play it everyday, allday, since he doesn't yet have a cable modem and can't use up the phone line all day. Me? I'm stuck at home, with nothing to do...which is partially my fault. It pisses me off because they all want me to get the game so bad, with money I do not have. I could really give a shit about the damn game and they're all sweating it's balls. Charles calls me when he gets home from Johns at night and starts talking about it, and why I should get so I won't be bored anymore. He knows I get pissed off at these things, but he really could care less. Another thing is we usually all get together at Johns house to play D&D(yes i'm a D&D dork). A D&D campaign that is my campaign that they now don't want to play because of FFXI. I fucking hate that game now. Any glimmer of might getting it just vanished when this all happened. I'm sorry, but I really don't want to spend more time in this fucking house that I already can't stand, wasting my life playing some MMORPG that will attempt to steal my soul. Those days are long gone, ever since PSO like 4 years ago to which I gave over 600 hours of my life (i'm sure there's some of you out there with more). The point is, now I can't actually spend time with my friends because they don't want to do anything but sit on their asses all day. Charles also pisses me the fuck off with his "don't bitch at me because you're bored" attitude. Oh, and I heard that sqaure-enix is making more MMORPGs....I think I've completely lost faith in square-enix now, capitalist fucks.

Dek
Jan 6, 2005, 10:17 PM
Ah yes... Ever-crack Final Fantasy Style http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

And these are the joys of an MMORPG. They lose their life (if they have one), they lose their money, and they lose (possibly) any connections to loved ones.

My best suggestion would be to take their PS2 and PC and hold them up for ransom...

Link00seven
Jan 6, 2005, 10:39 PM
...and I dont see the greatness of FFXI...its not bad...but its not great...

anwserman
Jan 6, 2005, 10:45 PM
On 2005-01-06 19:39, Link00seven wrote:

You don't understand Link00seven.
Anything plastered with the Final Fantasy name must be good. I mean, it is Final Fantasy and Square/Enix made it so must be gold!

[/sarcasm]

Thats why.

Link00seven
Jan 6, 2005, 11:12 PM
On 2005-01-06 19:45, anwserman wrote:

On 2005-01-06 19:39, Link00seven wrote:

You don't understand Link00seven.
Anything plastered with the Final Fantasy name must be good. I mean, it is Final Fantasy and Square/Enix made it so must be gold!

[/sarcasm]

Thats why.

Right right, I forgot all about that.

Django
Jan 7, 2005, 11:21 PM
I hear you, man. I have friends who act like I'm [literally] retarded for not wanting to get Xbox Live.

Eanae
Jan 7, 2005, 11:23 PM
Fantasy Earth actually looks pretty cool... >_>;; (Which is a new Square Enix MMORPG comming out)

AUTO_
Jan 9, 2005, 08:10 PM
I got FFXI...well, I got a HDD for Socom, just happens that FFXI came with it.

The first month is free so I've been playing it nonstop--and I can pretty much tell you the game isn't magnificent, but it certainly is time consuming.

Almost WAY to time consuming.

I have 3 days and something logged on since Xmas, and I'm level 13 and have done probably 10% of what I could have accomplished in total for my level.

I knocked the game too, but I wish I wouldn't have. It's fun, but you need to play it way to much to get anything out of it.

Just organizing a party to do a mission can take an hour, and during the weekdays I usually just don't have the patience for that sort of thing.

Sorry for the loss--try to give your friends a girlfriend to take up some of their time...because FFXI really isn't worth owning/playing unless you play it constantly.

RuneLateralus
Jan 10, 2005, 05:17 PM
People still play FFXI? I thought they all went to a good MMORPG...like World of Warcraft or City of Heroes...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

That is the danger of MMORPGs. People can get really into them because they don't want to get left behind. Until someone can create a good method that would force players to take breaks, this will happen.

dude3282
Jan 10, 2005, 09:37 PM
On 2005-01-10 14:17, RuneLateralus wrote:
People still play FFXI? I thought they all went to a good MMORPG...like World of Warcraft or City of Heroes...

Yeah, make them jealous by getting a quality MMORPG.

_Ted_
Jan 10, 2005, 09:55 PM

That is the danger of MMORPGs. People can get really into them because they don't want to get left behind. Until someone can create a good method that would force players to take breaks, this will happen.

Didn't WarCraft or something have that diminishing return system to combat addiction?

dude3282
Jan 10, 2005, 10:02 PM
I believe it had a rest system that gave you an exp bonus for logging off regularly, but I read that during the beta test and my memory may be faulty and they may have taken it out.

RuneLateralus
Jan 10, 2005, 11:43 PM
On 2005-01-10 18:55, _Ted_ wrote:
Didn't WarCraft or something have that diminishing return system to combat addiction?

Something like that. The game rewards your character that they get a 200% bonus if they rest for a period of time. The resting either takes place by logging off or sitting in an inn. The system can be cheated a bit by just leveling up by fighting monsters and if you want to get a bonus, just build up your professions in the major cities.

I have yet to see any evidence of a character who gets the detterant for playing too much...only bonuses for those who log off every now and then.

Eanae
Jan 11, 2005, 08:50 AM

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Meh. FFXI can be a good game later on in levels. It's hella boreing in the start though. Like any mmorpg, the story kinda doesn't support low levels, so you have to be a bit higher to appreciate the story of the game. The battle system could use some work, but all in all, the game is still pretty cool. And from what I've read, WoW is nothing but an FFXI copy with a couple in game systems added or changed.

Evil_Althena8
Jan 11, 2005, 07:50 PM
WoW...X_X my one friend obsesses over how much better that game is compared to FFXI. I don't really care about either of them whatsoever. The only online game that I can still stand is PSO.

shadowvincent
Jan 18, 2005, 08:46 PM
It`s a good dame once you hit lvl 20 or so, but it takes about a month to walk from one town to the next. Personally, I leave it on cruise control and go off to do something else. Then return an hour later and find my char ten feet from where I left him, running into a tree.

Mystil
Jan 25, 2005, 12:33 PM
WoW beats FFXI in only two aspects: Time consumption, and ease of getting income.

FFXI has changed my life for the worst too. I will quit it when Front Mission Online is out. I only play it to talk to my in game friends.

There is *alot* of stress involved with FFXI. And it is this that will change people from good to bad. If you play a melee character, you're going to be miserable from all the waiting to get groups. If you're a mage, you will be MORE miserable, cause spells cost entirely TOO MUCH. It will take about a full day to get ONE level after like lv60, as you need wild amounts of EXP.

30,000+

Sure that's nothing compared to PSO, where I need 770,000 to reach 165, but I'm getting 140,000-170,000 EXP per run. Where as in FFXI, you're lucky if you get 4,000xp an hour. I don't not encourage the time investment of this game. IT is too overwhelming for the casual player.