PDA

View Full Version : "Back in my day..."

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jan 24, 2005, 04:53 AM
"...I cleaned the whole house for a Happy Meal! Back in my day they had real toys! What do you get now, ONE LEGO?! Collect them all and put them together and then make ONE TOY! Man I got the real thing back then."

My co-worker said this, a 30+ year old guy, for no reason at all. I don't remember what sparked this outburst. He said this and ran off to have a smoke.

http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif
"One lego."
Priceless!

Tact
Jan 24, 2005, 07:20 AM
I guess you had to be there...

Deathscythealpha
Jan 24, 2005, 07:58 AM
Pfft, the happy meal toys were crap back in the day anyway. You either got some McDonalds mascot crap (ooh, stick together fry guys) or some poor excuse for a toy. I remember that all you got in the Ghost Busters 2 Happy Meal pack was a can of Slimer drink, have fun playing with your can of drink kiddies.

Outrider
Jan 24, 2005, 10:31 AM
But hey, you could always count on the annual Hot Wheels Happy Meals.

Those were real Hot Wheels, and even though they were real cheap if you got them in a store, these were from McDonalds!

PrinceBrightstar
Jan 24, 2005, 06:30 PM
Why in my day, we used to have to walk from one end of the continent to the other. We didn't have any of this teleporter or airship nonsense. You children are spoiled! We also had to fight monsters with the weakest weapons in the game first before we could even get stronger weapons, and twinking wasn't even possible back then. You youngins, all you care about are your graphics and online gameplay? You should be spanked for that. We used to only have a black and white screen that moved at 1 FPS if you were lucky. In fact, tonight, lets sit down and play a nice game of...Global Thermal Nuclear War

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jonathan_F on 2005-01-24 15:31 ]</font>

Allos
Jan 24, 2005, 07:41 PM
But I think we can all agree that Wendy's toys were always craptastic.

Scrub
Jan 24, 2005, 07:43 PM
If McDonald's had Power Rangers, Wendy's would have Beetleborgs or something equally stupid.>_>;

Deathscythealpha
Jan 24, 2005, 07:46 PM
On 2005-01-24 16:41, Allos wrote:

We dont have Wendy's here in the UK, or at least ive never heard of them. I think 'The Wimpy' is the closest weve got to them, and even the names lame.

Oh, and i remember this badge one of my college mates got from there once. Had a picture of a purple snake on it and read 'Big and Bendy Bender Biter'. Somebody was definately not on the ball the day they let that one through.

Outrider
Jan 24, 2005, 09:30 PM
On 2005-01-24 16:46, Deathscythealpha wrote:

On 2005-01-24 16:41, Allos wrote:

We dont have Wendy's here in the UK, or at least ive never heard of them. I think 'The Wimpy' is the closest weve got to them, and even the names lame.

Oh, and i remember this badge one of my college mates got from there once. Had a picture of a purple snake on it and read 'Big and Bendy Bender Biter'. Somebody was definately not on the ball the day they let that one through.

Really? Dave Thomas never spread his influence to the UK? I figured you guys would have them there too.

Saiffy
Jan 24, 2005, 09:58 PM
Did Dave Thomas even give two shits about Wendies, or was it about the fat pay check >.>

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jan 25, 2005, 03:38 AM
Wimpy's? Isn't that the guy who ate hamburgers from Popeye?

...well I got some Super Mario stuff from Happy Meals "in my day."

A Goomba on a spring with a suction cup, and some Mario Kart thing that was shaped like a N64 controller. It had that crappy metal ball inside and you tilted the 'joystick' to 'race' around the track.

Those I kept. I must have had plenty more though...

Deathscythealpha
Jan 25, 2005, 05:26 AM
Dave Thomas is just a random name to us, im sure he never got over the ocean to us.

And i think Wimpy was the name of the Popeye character, but has nothing to do with the food chain. Their mascot looks like an English Beefeater.

Best Happy Meal toy I think I had was a frisbee. Was great until it vanished over my neighbours fence. Evil neighbour and his evil frisbee keeping ways.

Django
Jan 26, 2005, 05:59 PM
My best greasy fastfood meal toy was a little plastic Sonic the Hedgehog that would launch accross the floor if you pressed a button on it.

Hayabusa:
http://www.nintendoland.com/graphics/rest/happymeal.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Django on 2005-01-26 15:01 ]</font>

Outrider
Jan 26, 2005, 11:00 PM
I've actually got quite a few of those Sega digital games that McDonald's had last year or so. Not too shabby.

Zelutos
Jan 27, 2005, 11:18 AM
On 2005-01-26 14:59, Django wrote:
My best greasy fastfood meal toy was a little plastic Sonic the Hedgehog that would launch accross the floor if you pressed a button on it.

Knuckles was da best! I remember getting my Sonic toys when my sister was in dance class. I would zoom them up and down the gym and annoy people http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Kizaragu
Jan 27, 2005, 11:51 AM
Back in my day, Shell suits were Cool and everyone had one.