PDA

View Full Version : Essays

dude3282
Feb 7, 2005, 11:20 PM
Writing an essay to a teacher that you don't know, but will be deciding your future in education, is disorienting. It throws off my style. It sucks.

I just got done slaving through an essay that I had to write on "Why I want to be a Teacher Cadet." The interview was a bit bumpy. I don't get nervous for these kinds of things, but I tend to underplay my strengths. Being a scrawny nerd, you learn not to be arrogant about your intelligence because normal people hate the fact that not all men are created equal. Some people will always be smarter, no matter what. So they take out their frustration on the smart people. So, you learn not to be slightly confident in your abilities. Then, when the time comes to sell yourself, like in a job interview or a situation like the one I was in, you don't know how to brag on yourself; how to sell yourself to your audience. That was what threw off a couple questions of my interview. But, I'm rambling. Bye for now. We'll see how this goes.

AUTO_
Feb 7, 2005, 11:27 PM
Well if you want to be a slave for the man you gotta do all you can to sell yourself. soul

Hope it works out for ya's.

Anubis_
Feb 8, 2005, 01:06 PM
If ya really wanna be sucessfull, sometimes you have to sell yourself to be true to...yourself...

eerr..um.. does that make since??

Garm
Feb 8, 2005, 01:45 PM
Job interview:

You: Me > You. Peroid

Them: uhhh... Hired!

Always worked for me! O wait never had a job interview, yet.

Sayara
Feb 8, 2005, 03:10 PM
On 2005-02-07 20:20, dude3282 wrote:
Writing an essay to a teacher that you don't know, but will be deciding your future in education, is disorienting. It throws off my style. It sucks.

I just got done slaving through an essay that I had to write on "Why I want to be a Teacher Cadet." The interview was a bit bumpy. I don't get nervous for these kinds of things, but I tend to underplay my strengths. Being a scrawny nerd, you learn not to be arrogant about your intelligence because normal people hate the fact that not all men are created equal. Some people will always be smarter, no matter what. So they take out their frustration on the smart people. So, you learn not to be slightly confident in your abilities. Then, when the time comes to sell yourself, like in a job interview or a situation like the one I was in, you don't know how to brag on yourself; how to sell yourself to your audience. That was what threw off a couple questions of my interview. But, I'm rambling. Bye for now. We'll see how this goes.

Yer just being modest, if thats what im getting out of this, If you were told of this before the day of doing said essay you should of practiced the interview before hand,

Just something to think of next time right?

Daikarin
Feb 8, 2005, 03:32 PM

Being a scrawny nerd, you learn not to be arrogant about your intelligence because normal people hate the fact that not all men are created equal.

That's the same reason you can't compare yourself to someone who led totally different lives than yours.

There's more to someone than their brains, dude.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Even_Jin on 2005-02-08 12:34 ]</font>

dude3282
Feb 8, 2005, 07:52 PM
On 2005-02-08 12:32, Even_Jin wrote:

Being a scrawny nerd, you learn not to be arrogant about your intelligence because normal people hate the fact that not all men are created equal.

That's the same reason you can't compare yourself to someone who led totally different lives than yours.

There's more to someone than their brains, dude.

I'm not quite sure where you're going with this. I'm not claiming to be superior to everyone in every respect. I'm saying that there are differences among people. I have a bit of a circulation problem. I could work out every day of my life and not be as good of an athlete as someone else. That's life. In the eyes of some of my classmates, if they bust their butt studying they can get test scores as high as mine, but it just doesn't work that way. And instead of accepting that, they find someone or something to point the blame on. That's the attitude that I'm trying to describe; that's what I'm trying to say. We all have different strengths and weaknesses, and it's no one's fault that person A doesn't work as hard as person B to get better results. Some things we're born with, and hard work can't completely change that. Sorry if I was a bit unclear in my original wording of that, I was tired.

@ Tingle: Yes, my supposed problem is being overly modest at the wrong time. During my first (and so far only) job interview, I was a bit spineless. I'm surprised that I'm employed right now. Picture this:

My supervisor: "Are you good with computers?"
Me: "Yeah, I'm pretty good."

I didn't say that I was proficient with Windows and Microsoft Office software, nor did I mention that I was into web programming and design, and that I've taken a college-level programming course - well, Visual Basic. Or, how about the interview before I started volunteering at the zoo:

Education Dept. Manager: "Are you good at controlling your anger?"
Me: "I'm usually pretty good at controlling my anger most of the time."

How much more wishy-washy can you get? If she took what I said literally, that means that every now and then, I lose control and start swearing and hitting the poor zoo camp kids. You're right, it's just something I have to think about, a mindset that I have to overcome.

Daikarin
Feb 11, 2005, 04:03 PM

(...)

I'm not quite sure where you're going with this.

You said that people tend not to be over-confident enough to be arrogant about their supposedly high-IQ. I was merely commenting on what I thought it was a habit of yours to compare yourself in just brain power to someone else, something which I consider incomplete.

But I don't know you in person, so I shouldn't had made that remark.

Besides, your last post made me realize that I was indeed misunderstanding you, therefore nevermind what I said, it was probably another personal part of myself wanting to come out.

This is a rant, after all.

In the eyes of some of my classmates, if they bust their butt studying they can get test scores as high as mine, but it just doesn't work that way. And instead of accepting that, they find someone or something to point the blame on. That's the attitude that I'm trying to describe; that's what I'm trying to say. We all have different strengths and weaknesses, and it's no one's fault that person A doesn't work as hard as person B to get better results. Some things we're born with, and hard work can't completely change that. Sorry if I was a bit unclear in my original wording of that, I was tired.

Well, I just realized we were both arguing about the same thing, only at each other, without realizing what the other was saying.

My supervisor: "Are you good with computers?"
Me: "Yeah, I'm pretty good."

Enough said. I don't see a problem in your attitude here.