PDA

View Full Version : When did this start !?!?

Lone_Wolf_Nasca
Mar 2, 2005, 10:25 PM
I was pruning a rather elevated dead tree limb with a saw yesterday, and it was a rather thick one, about 6-7 inches in diameter. About halfway cutting through it I had to stop. The ache was just too much and my arm was begging me for a break. I climbed back down and sat down under the shade of the tree and without realizing it, passed out. Upon becoming conscious again It quickly hit me that I had been laying there for a good couple of hours.

"How in God's Holy name did that just happen ?"

Figuring that something was not right I decided to make a little experiment the next day, a little exercise run , if you will. The results ?

I was only able to do 10 pull up's in a row. I was able to do 50 of them o.O !!
I was not able to run a complete mile at my old running pace and had to slow down to complete it.
I was able to lift but not walk with 150 pounds of animal feed on my back.
I could not complete my old 50 abdominal set, much less 3 complete sets.
I can no longer swim more that 200 laps around the pond.
Even worse, I can't hold my breath for two full minutes, now I am down to 1 minute 27 seconds.
I don't even know if I can even reach my old 30 meter diving mark, at 15 feet I already had a splitting headache.

When did this happen !?!!? I had so much stamina before entering college and later on getting a job, where the heck did it went !?!? GAH !! Must. get. it. back. NOW. >.< !!!

I work at my own small farm , and many, if not all, the things I do require physical labor. Getting animal feed where is needed, carrying boxes of eggs and produce back and forth in a five acre area, running to the hens when there is a ruckus going on, lifting sheep up to take them to the ocasional vet visit, etc.

How the heck did I lose my stamina !!?? I am not even fat, heck I even lost weight, but apperently from my muscles,GAH !! That's it !!! Im going to start cutting down on the cheesecake !!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lone_Wolf_Nasca on 2005-03-02 19:29 ]</font>

Solstis
Mar 2, 2005, 10:30 PM
If it makes you feel any better, you're far stronger than I am.

Noting that it probably doesn't, I suggest you... exercise more often? Eat healthier? Drink more water?

Eihwaz
Mar 2, 2005, 10:33 PM
Since you're not fat, you don't really need to cut back on food. Try a bit of light weightlifting, and make sure to eat extra protein. Water is good, too. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Sagasu
Mar 2, 2005, 10:55 PM
School does that to you. Your body withers while your mind soaks.

=/

Kizaragu
Mar 3, 2005, 07:00 AM
Maybe you've just exhausted yourself and just need a rest for a couple days?
And I'd go see a doctor about randomly passing out like that as no doubt they could be linked.

trypticon
Mar 3, 2005, 04:55 PM
Your passing out after the pain in your arm may suggest a heart condition. The rest of it is likely due to age, and as you have mentioned college in your post, I'm betting a lot of it has to do with current or past alchoholism, (hey don't blame me, I'm just going by statistics).

I would suggest you go to a doctor to get a physical at the least. This may just be your body becoming more frail with age. It happens at a much younger age than a lot might think.

HUcastShinobi
Mar 3, 2005, 06:20 PM
i cant do that http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif hell i cant swim, i just dont have the arm strength to do it! nor do i even have the lungs to keep me up...

Lone_Wolf_Nasca
Mar 3, 2005, 07:42 PM
On 2005-03-03 13:55, trypticon wrote:
Your passing out after the pain in your arm may suggest a heart condition.

My family does have a heart problem record, but I would doubt that this particular incident would have anything to do with my heart. The only reason my arm was aching badly is that cutting off such a thick tree limb requires a lot of constant sawing back and forth without a stop (otherwise the blade will get stuck, and getting it out is never an easy task from my own experience) after 10 or 15 straight minutes of such ardous physical labor arms tend to want to fall off http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif. Perhaps if I passed out after a random arm ache I would worry about my heart, in the meantime I think I am safe http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif.

The rest of it is likely due to age, and as you have mentioned college in your post, I'm betting a lot of it has to do with current or past alchoholism, (hey don't blame me, I'm just going by statistics).

Hmm, not much of a beer guzzler :/ , during my time in college parties or at pubs I usually limited my drinking to two or three beers or drinks, never more than that, and those drinks did have a few weeks in between them. Now a days I drink alcoholic bevarages very rarely.

I would suggest you go to a doctor to get a physical at the least. This may just be your body becoming more frail with age. It happens at a much younger age than a lot might think.

I will take this under consideration.

opaopajr
Mar 8, 2005, 02:02 AM
i second the visit to the doctor. since i doubt you are smoking, having gargantuan pig-outs, or lounging about (yay, more for me!), and it came upon so suddenly (especially with that exhaustion spell) you should see a doctor.

it could be a myriad of things: case of sunstroke or heat exhaustion which you somehow survived, heart condition, cancer, toxicity poisoning, or hopefully plain old age. but whatever it is you need to see a doctor now, sudden onsets of significant losses of stamina are huge indicators all is not well. gradual makes sense, but sudden, very unusual.

report back that all is well, and insist the doctor take a full spectrum of blood tests, k?

Ancient
Mar 8, 2005, 06:22 AM
Well loosing stamina while going to college is not unusual, but I agree with everyone else that passing out after 15 minutes of sawing could be the sign of something more serious lurking in the background. You owe it tou yourself to at least see a doctor once, just for his opinion if nothing else. Otherwise I'd say make sure your getting plenty of water. In basic training they made us drink 8-10 quarts a day, thats a lot for most people. But I saw what happens when you dont do it when working in the sun. Our strongest guy had a heat stroke and damn near died, because he didnt drink enough water. All told about 10 people died of heat stroke during that summer, its a tough lesson, drink water!!