PDA

View Full Version : Vehicular Dogicide

anwserman
Mar 22, 2005, 05:09 PM
It is March.
Weather is getting SO much nicer, as in fact I decide to go walking today on one of my regular routes...a eight-mile or so trek or so that brings me out to our plaza in Ironwood and back home.

On the way back, on Highway 2, I was walking past the Blue Cloud Motel. I am on the other side of the road, compared to the motel. So, I'm walking and minding my own business when this cute little doggie comes from the motel to see me.

It was one of those cute, blackwienerdog-like dogs with the brown tipped ears and stuff, with black eyes and it was so adorable. Its about two lanes away from me (Highway 2 is a four-lane highway) when a white, old Ford Taurus comes and smashes into it.

Yup.

I saw AND heard this dog get hit by a vehicle. Worst part, the FUCKER DIDN'T EVEN STOP.

So, this dog is on the road - thankfully guts inside its body still. Alive, staring at me with its big eyes like, "What did I do?". I'm damn near shocked (and slightly hysterical since I've never seen a dog get hit by a vehicle up close and personal). I called 911, the owner in the parking lot of the motel realized what happens and runs down to the dog. I end up stopping traffic so the owner could scoop up the dog in her arms (which, by the way, I think died in her arms.)

The cops came, took the lady and her probably deceased dog to the vet.

And I was all alone.

EDIT: It is really March, not May.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: anwserman on 2005-03-22 16:48 ]</font>

Dek
Mar 22, 2005, 06:03 PM
The heartlessness of some people is something I have somehow gotten used to until now.

It is so sad to see something like this happen. I hope it truely is in a better place now.

Aredhel
Mar 22, 2005, 06:15 PM
Maybe the driver was just as shocked as you were? Yet had the sense to not slam on his/her brakes in the middle of the road. It's likely that they didn't see the dog (the number of people who would do that on purpose is probably lower than some of you might think) until it was too late, but they knew better than to just slam on the brakes because of something like that. This is why you protect your dog and prevent it from going near roads.

Nai_Calus
Mar 22, 2005, 06:24 PM
*cries*

Some people should be shot. >_<

Scejntjynahl
Mar 22, 2005, 07:41 PM
Not much that you can do. They dart in front of you, and before you know it you feel a "thump... thum" http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

I ran over a chihuahua once. I tried to hit the brakes, but unfortunately the poor doggie was already under my wheel as I applied the brakes.

But I did stop unlike that other idiot you spoke off. I went to it. It was indeed dead. I wont describe how it looked, it was not preety. I took a black bag out of my car. Put him inside it. Found the remains of the collar, saw the address. It was right beside me. I walked to the house. Rang the doorbell.

One little girl of around 7 and a boy around 5 answered the door. The mom came outside immediately... and I spoke to her as calmly as possible. "Im sorry mam, but unfortunately I was unable to avoid coliding with your pet" At this remark the little boy looke at the bag... I clenched to it. The mother shook her head in sadnees... the little girl caught on quicker... and began to cry. The mom thanked me for bringing it back. I turned around and then the little boy started to cry. I got into my car and went off to work.

I felt like shit.

BoarDemon
Mar 22, 2005, 08:12 PM
On 2005-03-22 16:41, Scejntjynahl wrote:
Not much that you can do. They dart in front of you, and before you know it you feel a "thump... thum" http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

I ran over a chihuahua once. I tried to hit the brakes, but unfortunately the poor doggie was already under my wheel as I applied the brakes.

But I did stop unlike that other idiot you spoke off. I went to it. It was indeed dead. I wont describe how it looked, it was not preety. I took a black bag out of my car. Put him inside it. Found the remains of the collar, saw the address. It was right beside me. I walked to the house. Rang the doorbell.

One little girl of around 7 and a boy around 5 answered the door. The mom came outside immediately... and I spoke to her as calmly as possible. "Im sorry mam, but unfortunately I was unable to avoid coliding with your pet" At this remark the little boy looke at the bag... I clenched to it. The mother shook her head in sadnees... the little girl caught on quicker... and began to cry. The mom thanked me for bringing it back. I turned around and then the little boy started to cry. I got into my car and went off to work.

I felt like shit.

Wow, that's sad...

Hrigg
Mar 22, 2005, 10:23 PM
Dog's get to me a lot. When I hear of someone's dog dying it usually makes me sorry for them. I have an almost 10 year old dog and I have no clue how I will handle it when he dies.

Some people have no consideration. Why would they not stop!?! It's a freakin little dog, and they don't even try to avoid it. It just aggitates me when I hear of some people not doing the good thing, and avoiding the animal altogether. I feel sorry for the owner of the dog. It was just walking over to see you and BAM! Hit by some idiot who's to careless to stop. What a nice way for a dog's life to possibly end, he was probably thinking, Yay, a person, I hope he has some treats and wants to play, and then all of the sudden he his hit by a car.

That wouldn't be very fun. You're out for a run, and you see a dog get hit by a car.

derBauer
Mar 23, 2005, 02:14 PM
They might not want to stop because they don't want to see what the result was. I love dogs and I hit a dog once and I did not stop. I knew I hit the dogs head and the last thing I wanted to see was a dead or dying dog.
There was no way to avoid the dog I hit because I was driving with parked cars lined up on my left, and a school bus was running parallel to my right. There was no time to slow down either as this dog ran out from behind the parked cars right in front of me.
So I go to work and I walk into the office of the school I teach at and there is a girl crying in the office about how someone had just hit her dog and the dog was dead. The principal was really mad at the girl for bringing the dog to school and for letting it run around with no leash.
Needless to say i felt even worse at this point because I knew the family was a very poor white family who could not afford a dog, and would be really mad at the little girl for getting it killed. You might find this a little evil, but I had some good damage to the front of my car and I called us even since technically she was responsible for the repairs my car needs (still needs really).

Eihwaz
Mar 23, 2005, 03:17 PM
That's quite sad. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

But, sometimes, shit like that happens, and it's unavoidable. I mean, think of it this way. What if the person in the car had children with them, and had swerved, and saved the dogs life, but ended up crashing into another car, killing everyone in both cars?

When I start driving, if I see a dog/animal in the street, I will of course try to avoid it at all costs, but if the choice was between me dying, or the dog getting squished...>_>;