Wyndham
Mar 23, 2005, 06:05 PM
>_>
weird.
I never beat that game, got too boring.

Mixfortune
Mar 23, 2005, 06:26 PM
Well, he actually messed it up himself.
He shouldn't have been doing what he was doing anyways.
Not your fault in the slightest.

ViewtifulJoe
Mar 23, 2005, 07:06 PM
Boy, was that game predictable...
Okay here are more betrayals than you can fit into a 50 hour game (including cinemas), and more than any story should have.

Kratos betrays mithos, than you, then mithos again.
The Pope betrays Meltokio
Yuan betrays mithos
mithos betrays Origin (mithos is lower caps cause he's a child)
mithos betrays martels last wish twice...
Remiel betrays you
Zelos betrays you, then mithos, unless you kill Zelos
Presea sort of betrays you when she gives Collette to Rodyle
Rodyle betrays cruxis
Pronyma betrays Rodyle
Abyssion betrays you (side quest)
Kuchinawa betrays Mizuho
Whoever drew the cover betrayed anime fans all over the world!!!

That's enough! This game's play was alright due to the fact that it took 50 hours to beat, and what you could do after the game. However, there was way to much focus on the story, and the story was terrible.

The animation was bad as well. Lloyd is 17. on the status screen, he looks 25, in the intro, he looked 20, on the cover, he looks 17, his icon looks 15, an in-game, with his big eyes, big head, small mouth, and thick stubby fingers, he looks about 10.

I'm not gonna write more, I'm saving this.

Zarode
Mar 23, 2005, 07:59 PM
On 2005-03-23 14:56, tactician7777 wrote:
rolfmao i r hongre fed mi

Tact
Mar 23, 2005, 08:28 PM
On 2005-03-23 15:05, Shattered_weasel wrote:
Especially the part where Kratos was like "Ur F4tHer | am"

That was the part I spoiled. In your FACE, Zarode.

ViewtifulJoe
Mar 24, 2005, 01:36 AM
You absolutely have to read these. (http://project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html) The whole "father" is covered at number 170, and it's not a surprise.

Number 162 works very well for Kratos, Zelos (if you fight him he dies, but he's better than he ever was.) and Sheena. All put up a fight against a four person party, put when they join you, theirs no reason to even have them in your party.

Tact
Mar 24, 2005, 05:01 PM
...The hero will always have the best vehicle. If he/she doesn't: A. The hero will take over/hijack the vehicle, B. The hero will get a bigger/better vehicle with another method, or C. The vehicle the hero doesn't have will be destroyed in a very awesome manner.

BoarDemon
Mar 24, 2005, 05:26 PM
On 2005-03-23 16:06, ViewtifulJoe wrote:
Boy, was that game predictable...
Okay here are more betrayals than you can fit into a 50 hour game (including cinemas), and more than any story should have.

Kratos betrays mithos, than you, then mithos again.
The Pope betrays Meltokio
Yuan betrays mithos
mithos betrays Origin (mithos is lower caps cause he's a child)
mithos betrays martels last wish twice...
Remiel betrays you
Zelos betrays you, then mithos, unless you kill Zelos
Presea sort of betrays you when she gives Collette to Rodyle
Rodyle betrays cruxis
Pronyma betrays Rodyle
Abyssion betrays you (side quest)
Kuchinawa betrays Mizuho
Whoever drew the cover betrayed anime fans all over the world!!!

So ToS is all about betraying people? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Mixfortune
Mar 24, 2005, 05:37 PM
On 2005-03-24 14:26, BoarDemon wrote:

So ToS is all about betraying people? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Yeah, Tales of Shit.
It used to have "bull" in there somewhere, but it got dropped come release day.

ViewtifulJoe
Mar 24, 2005, 07:39 PM

You don't have to read my post again

Not quite, that's only an entertaining overused plot device.
-The game's main characters are children, but if you own Gamecube you get used to it. (Genis's voice is played by a woman)
-Lloyd, the main character, is such and IDIOT!
Genis- He who chases two hares catches neither
Lloyd- Hairs? How can you chase hairs? You mean pull someone's hair?
-The graphics are terrible. All the characters have enormous hands, thick fingers, and painted-on faces. The animation sucks too, rivaling PSO's.
-The story has this ever present Yugioh-like theme of friendship. We need to rescue (annoying friend)! Boy that happens a lot. Let's say Collette is the character that likes you the most. They get as close as two people can possibly get without having intercourse.
-The game is really easy. You can play the game straight through, not train once, not use titles, and you'll have no problem. You can do the same thing on hard, and I was able to beat Forcystus (one of the hardest mandatory bosses). No enemy takes any new strategy, unless you do the colosiem, but that's not hard anyway.
-The colosiem gets you: Most character's best titles, their second best weapons, and invincible healing items, not to mention a lot of better extras from side quest associated with it (like fighting Celes.) It's very easy with the 6 melee fighters, but absolutely (I mean it literally) impossible with Raine and Genis. The colosium is the same for all characters, but the way it takes forever to cast spells, the speed at which enemies advance on you, the low HP, ATK, and physical versatility of magic users, and the way you stop casting whenever you are hit, all contribute to this. Without the colosium, any other title Raine and genis have suck, unless you're insane. You need some crazy Ex skill in order to win.
-You get really tired of the frequency with which you hear about morality, morals, lessons; after anything bad happens, you need the party's input on how wrong it is to "kill humans for exspheres" or "discriminate against half elves" (you hear that one a LOT) or "not hold open the door for a lady" or "split the world in two to stop mana from being created".
-There is NO balance between races. Racism here is wrong because it's not true. However, racism in ToS is understandible: Elves are smarter than half elves are smarter than humans. Elves use strong magic, half elves use magic, humans cannot use magic. Elves live to 1,000, half-elves to maybe 800, humans live to 70. If the ToS Klan flys and "Elf power" banner, will you be able to argue?
-Using the Eternal sword, Mithos split the world in frigging two. Lloyd himself asked "What can any of us hope to do against an enemy like that?" Well, they don't go any further with that, because Mithos loses to:
(List of why party characters are silly)
Lloyd- untrained idiot who uses two swords because "If one sword has 100 power, then two have 200, right?" His words...
Genis- a twleve year old whose weapon is a ball on a stick that makes "Bat" noises when he attacks
Raine- a healer, she knows 2 attacks. She dies a lot, for she doesn't dodge anything.
Zelos- a sword twirling (there are two meanings for that) womanizer, which is surprising, because he's the red haired "guy" on the cover.
Collette- The friend that Lloyd abandons an entire world for. She trips and falls at the most meaningless times (she has an attack where she falls on an enemy) and says "I'm sorry" after every sentence. I thought she was a guy, because you know how big women's breasts are in anime.
Presea- The girl with an axe as big as she is. She's 28 though. I guess Namco was like "if this game is going to be for nintendo, we need to figure out a way to make everyone a child." She's also a robot, starting battles with a monotone "50% output should be sufficient."
Sheena- Character with probably the least intersting lines and personality, she's too well formed to be the rugged, tough as nails, female ninja they intended her to be. Oh, yeah, she's VERY well formed.
Regal- Dubbed the "child molester" he's the definition of "man," wears a sports bra, and has been to prison. Is that the guy you want taking care of your son? He actually wears shackles to symbolize his crime, even after everyone forgives him AND the person he commited the crime against asks him to take them off. His crime was murdering his girlfriend (turns out he's straight http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif , and don't be concerned with how she forgives him, silly story)

So, anyways, what it is that takes me 500 words to say is why ToS sucks, don't buy it, there's more wrong with it than betrayals out the ass.

Saiffy
Mar 24, 2005, 07:44 PM
And then we look at their boobs, and all is forgiven

Outrider
Mar 24, 2005, 07:46 PM
Wow, some people sure are bitter, aren't they?

ViewtifulJoe
Mar 24, 2005, 07:50 PM
On 2005-03-24 16:44, Saiffwin wrote:
And then we look at their boobs, and all is forgiven

The graphics are too bad and zoomed out, you can never see anything http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

On 2005-03-24 16:46, Outrider wrote:

Not really. I just have a little bit to say about a lot of aspects of the game. Not to mention if I didn't enjoy such writing, i wouldn't do it.

Mixfortune
Mar 25, 2005, 03:05 AM

Personally, I'm just having some fun.

ViewtifulJoe
Mar 25, 2005, 03:07 AM
I think he was talkin to me, I was being a little obsessive.

(by "a little" mean that big fucking passage no one read.)

Mixfortune
Mar 25, 2005, 03:10 AM
On 2005-03-25 00:07, ViewtifulJoe wrote:

Where?

Saiffy
Mar 25, 2005, 03:10 AM

We don't need to be told the obvious, all the characters personalities were obviously thought up from a 5 year old.

And Genis' weapons is a kendema, or however it's spelled, google it, learn, love.

ViewtifulJoe
Mar 25, 2005, 03:12 AM
....? I-I'm not sure.

(watch be be a noob and say, On page one, fourth from the bottom.)

Solstis
Mar 25, 2005, 03:15 AM

I never played ToS, and actually thought it was a good game.

After reading the big fucking passage, I know otherwise.

http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

ViewtifulJoe
Mar 25, 2005, 03:20 AM
Well, I'm glad I've made an impact. (Don't tell me you were sarcastic, that would just ruin my day.)

Solstis
Mar 25, 2005, 03:25 AM
On 2005-03-25 00:20, ViewtifulJoe wrote:
Well, I'm glad I've made an impact. (Don't tell me you were sarcastic, that would just ruin my day.)

Not this time.

http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Outrider
Mar 25, 2005, 03:50 AM
On 2005-03-25 00:05, Mixfortune wrote:

Oh, no, I was definitely talking to VJ.

I just find it very hard for Tales of Symphonia to be that bad if the opinions of many people I respect state that it's a fun game.

BoarDemon
Mar 25, 2005, 04:06 AM
On 2005-03-24 16:39, ViewtifulJoe wrote:

You don't have to read my post again

Not quite, that's only an entertaining overused plot device.
-The game's main characters are children, but if you own Gamecube you get used to it. (Genis's voice is played by a woman)
-Lloyd, the main character, is such and IDIOT!
Genis- He who chases two hares catches neither
Lloyd- Hairs? How can you chase hairs? You mean pull someone's hair?
-The graphics are terrible. All the characters have enormous hands, thick fingers, and painted-on faces. The animation sucks too, rivaling PSO's.
-The story has this ever present Yugioh-like theme of friendship. We need to rescue (annoying friend)! Boy that happens a lot. Let's say Collette is the character that likes you the most. They get as close as two people can possibly get without having intercourse.
-The game is really easy. You can play the game straight through, not train once, not use titles, and you'll have no problem. You can do the same thing on hard, and I was able to beat Forcystus (one of the hardest mandatory bosses). No enemy takes any new strategy, unless you do the colosiem, but that's not hard anyway.
-The colosiem gets you: Most character's best titles, their second best weapons, and invincible healing items, not to mention a lot of better extras from side quest associated with it (like fighting Celes.) It's very easy with the 6 melee fighters, but absolutely (I mean it literally) impossible with Raine and Genis. The colosium is the same for all characters, but the way it takes forever to cast spells, the speed at which enemies advance on you, the low HP, ATK, and physical versatility of magic users, and the way you stop casting whenever you are hit, all contribute to this. Without the colosium, any other title Raine and genis have suck, unless you're insane. You need some crazy Ex skill in order to win.
-You get really tired of the frequency with which you hear about morality, morals, lessons; after anything bad happens, you need the party's input on how wrong it is to "kill humans for exspheres" or "discriminate against half elves" (you hear that one a LOT) or "not hold open the door for a lady" or "split the world in two to stop mana from being created".
-There is NO balance between races. Racism here is wrong because it's not true. However, racism in ToS is understandible: Elves are smarter than half elves are smarter than humans. Elves use strong magic, half elves use magic, humans cannot use magic. Elves live to 1,000, half-elves to maybe 800, humans live to 70. If the ToS Klan flys and "Elf power" banner, will you be able to argue?
-Using the Eternal sword, Mithos split the world in frigging two. Lloyd himself asked "What can any of us hope to do against an enemy like that?" Well, they don't go any further with that, because Mithos loses to:
(List of why party characters are silly)
Lloyd- untrained idiot who uses two swords because "If one sword has 100 power, then two have 200, right?" His words...
Genis- a twleve year old whose weapon is a ball on a stick that makes "Bat" noises when he attacks
Raine- a healer, she knows 2 attacks. She dies a lot, for she doesn't dodge anything.
Zelos- a sword twirling (there are two meanings for that) womanizer, which is surprising, because he's the red haired "guy" on the cover.
Collette- The friend that Lloyd abandons an entire world for. She trips and falls at the most meaningless times (she has an attack where she falls on an enemy) and says "I'm sorry" after every sentence. I thought she was a guy, because you know how big women's breasts are in anime.
Presea- The girl with an axe as big as she is. She's 28 though. I guess Namco was like "if this game is going to be for nintendo, we need to figure out a way to make everyone a child." She's also a robot, starting battles with a monotone "50% output should be sufficient."
Sheena- Character with probably the least intersting lines and personality, she's too well formed to be the rugged, tough as nails, female ninja they intended her to be. Oh, yeah, she's VERY well formed.
Regal- Dubbed the "child molester" he's the definition of "man," wears a sports bra, and has been to prison. Is that the guy you want taking care of your son? He actually wears shackles to symbolize his crime, even after everyone forgives him AND the person he commited the crime against asks him to take them off. His crime was murdering his girlfriend (turns out he's straight http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif , and don't be concerned with how she forgives him, silly story)

So, anyways, what it is that takes me 500 words to say is why ToS sucks, don't buy it, there's more wrong with it than betrayals out the ass.

I didn't bother to read that at all.

Mixfortune
Mar 25, 2005, 04:24 AM
On 2005-03-25 00:50, Outrider wrote:

I just find it very hard for Tales of Symphonia to be that bad if the opinions of many people I respect state that it's a fun game.

Right, hard to tell sometimes.

Wait, I mean... damn it Outrider I said I was just having some fun! Stop following me around yelling at me!

Hmm but seriously, I played it safe because I didn't read Joe's post at all http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Wyndham
Mar 25, 2005, 04:31 AM
I read the huge ost and he's pretty correct, scarily enough.
I watched my little brother at parts, and I STILL got it.

PJ
Mar 25, 2005, 09:55 AM
Zelos may be a sword twirling womanizer, but he's the coolest red-haired, pink-clothed sword twirling womanizer EVER! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

EDIT: Seriously though, Zelos is the only character I think who has a good personality in the game http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif Not to mention he's the only one I enjoy playing

EDIT2: Editing my edit! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif "Zelos is the only character I think who has the best personality in the game" That doesn't make any sense http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SUPAH_CHAO on 2005-03-25 06:57 ]</font>

Sagasu
Mar 25, 2005, 10:43 AM
ToS was fun, thats all that mattered to me.

Like any of you can make a plot that isnt terrible and/or predictable http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Eh? fkl?

::moop::

Shattered_weasel
Mar 25, 2005, 11:30 AM
Regal : HADUKEN

Regal Winz.

Tact
Mar 25, 2005, 11:49 AM
...Seles reminds me of Viviana.

ViewtifulJoe
Mar 25, 2005, 02:00 PM
On 2005-03-25 00:50, Outrider wrote:

Like I said, the game play is fine, if you've never played an RPG before. It is a lot like PSO, in the only value it has is longevity, which PSO does much better.

Read my post mix! It's all true!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ViewtifulJoe on 2005-03-25 11:01 ]</font>

Outrider
Mar 25, 2005, 05:35 PM
On 2005-03-25 11:00, ViewtifulJoe wrote:
Like I said, the game play is fine, if you've never played an RPG before. It is a lot like PSO, in the only value it has is longevity, which PSO does much better.

Sigh... it's called an action RPG, dude.

ViewtifulJoe
Mar 25, 2005, 06:54 PM
On 2005-03-25 14:35, Outrider wrote:

Yes, and PSO does that better too.
I said the only value is longevity, because though it is and action RPG, It doen't do it well.

Outrider
Mar 25, 2005, 07:58 PM
On 2005-03-25 15:54, ViewtifulJoe wrote:

On 2005-03-25 14:35, Outrider wrote:

Yes, and PSO does that better too.
I said the only value is longevity, because though it is and action RPG, It doen't do it well.

Yes, but the implied idea that it's good if you haven't played other RPGs just... y'know what? Forget it. Not worth my time to fight biases. That's what's keeping me busy in Off-Topic.