PDA

View Full Version : Well. What does half-close gates mean, hello?

navci
Mar 28, 2005, 11:22 PM
Okay.
You all prolly know the feeling, cold, hungry, tired, braindead. Staring at clock and wait to dash the hell outta work.

And there are these kinda people:
5 minutes before closing I usually half close my gate. Today, I closed it so only a tiny little kid can walk through that gap. Ah, that never stop people.

Guy come in with his daughter. Started to browse around. Ignored my greet. FIne. I do my other closing work. Not trying to be rude. Gave him a good 5 minutes. Then I am done with my work and so I asked him if he need a hand finding anything. Like, so I know if he is going to buy something. Yes, good. Buy it and be gone. No? GET THE FUCK OUT!

My questions got ignored. Fine. Hitting 10 minutes, my patience is wearing thin. I am hungry, and cold, and my back hurt. And I think I deserve to go home. Randomly this guy picked up something and asked me in Chinese what is it used for. (that is another pet peeve of mine when people assume you speak so and so just cuz you are Asian, but that is for another time) By that time I think I am looking quite impatient, was hoping he will get the message. Answered the question as nicely as I can. Seeing that he STILL has no intention to leave after 2 more minutes. I said, "Ya, just to let you know that we are closed." Then he sounded like that was a foreign idea and that we usually close at 21 and now I am randomly deciding we close at 18. And starting to walk out.

GET THIS: During the time of walking out he still like walk back several times to poke at a few things. COme on! Just get out! We are not going anywhere!!! Come back tomorrow if you are just going to browse!!!!!

PEOPLE! You don't go into a store without a mission 5 minutes before closing! It is inhumane, it is rude, and it really is annoying!!! *sobs*

I am just gonna start telling people to GTFO more often.

Blue-Hawk
Mar 28, 2005, 11:28 PM
Welcome to the not-so-wonderfull world of retail. I have been there many times and have actually told people to get the fuck out when it's past time to close. If they don't like what I have to say after being pleasant to them for the time we were open untill 15 minutes past closing, yes it has happened before, I give them the number to call. Sad part is, I have never gotten word of any complaints against me. Go figure.

Kizaragu
Mar 29, 2005, 05:23 AM
It'ss 5.30pm, Security is at the door telling people trying to enter that we're closed, the lights have severely dimmed, and we the till staff are stood patiently at the tills waiting to cash up and serve the last reamining few customers.
The hangers on clearly ignore this and shop selfishley for another ten minutes. When they finally get their asses to the till there excuse?
"I thought you shut at 6?"
HELLO!? Did you miss all the hints?
Worst worst case scenario is when people have a huge basket full of stuff. Role reversal.
If I were in that situation and clearly could see the shop was closing I'd head straight to the till knowing it was gonna take long enough to pay for as it is. NOT wait 10 minutes after closing to pay for it. (>_<)

I have to catch a friggin' bus at 5.45, now I've missed it and have now got to wait at a bus stop for half an hour in the typically brilliant english weather.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

The average customer is an ass and is never right.
We just let them think they are. :(

space_butler
Mar 29, 2005, 06:05 AM
thats why you use some kind of tannoy thing when the shop closes and say 'we are closed, get to the tills now or well eat your face' like some people do at the shop where i work. (locking the door 10 minutes before closing time helps too)

anwserman
Mar 29, 2005, 11:29 AM
Odd.
Where I work at, we stay open until the final customer is gone.

So yes, that means... if a customer comes and orders a cone at one minute to close - and gives another customer enough time to order fried chicken which takes 5 minutes to cook alone - before you know it you're open 20 minutes past closing time.

Well.
Fast-food is different.

The time you close at and the time you actually get out of the damn store is about 30 minutes. So yeah, you're closed but you're still there.

Zelutos
Mar 29, 2005, 03:46 PM
Your lucky, at least you have a gate to close. Since we moved to our new department at work, we have no gate to close, and people still miander in just before we close and end up not buying anything. And even if people are still in my section and i want to go home, i just call the manager and ask if he can come take the money from my till, he sees people are still in the department, and kicks them out himself so i can go home. Yay for me!

But even when we still had a gate, and even when i closed it comepletely, people still opened it and came in just cause i was in there finishing my closing duties...i just wanted to throw some scissors at them or something...hrmm..

space_butler
Mar 30, 2005, 02:58 PM
have you never heard of the phrase 'sorry, we're closed'? saves a lot of hassle

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Mar 31, 2005, 12:54 AM
On 2005-03-29 08:29, anwserman wrote:
Odd.
Where I work at, we stay open until the final customer is gone.

So yes, that means... if a customer comes and orders a cone at one minute to close - and gives another customer enough time to order fried chicken which takes 5 minutes to cook alone - before you know it you're open 20 minutes past closing time.

Well.
Fast-food is different.

The time you close at and the time you actually get out of the damn store is about 30 minutes. So yeah, you're closed but you're still there.

Not where I work. I'm lucky then. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

If customers come in past closing, the cash drawers are already being counted, the floor is being mopped, the utensils all being cleaned, food put away, etc.

So the store goes to hell if we let them in. Also we are located close to a movie theater where people are loitering well past the closing of every store in the shopping center. We are the last to close, besides the theater, and its more likely we'll get robbed or worse if we start letting people in.

So for us its just not worth it(little difference in sales for the day). The same goes for pretty much every other fast food place around here.

Some are open late nights or even 24 hours(drive through only) and have a whole lot of safety measures put in place for these midnight shift workers.

In a mall it must be completely different though. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif