PDA

View Full Version : I will never play PSO on a PC.

ngamer007
Apr 1, 2005, 12:12 PM
Back when GameCube came out, I was the biggest GCN fan ever. And when I heard that PSOep1/2 was exclusive (for the time being) I was so excited.

I now own all three current generation consoles, 1 GameCube, 1 PS2, and 2 Xboxes. I'm a huge Halo 2 player now, but I'm thinking of returning to good old PSO ep1/2 on GameCube. I also own the Xbox version, but I only bought it as a collection item, I don't really play it.

Blue Burst is a terrible idea in my opinion, I know I'm going to get flamed to hell for saying this, but I refuse to play PSO on a PC. That takes away everything that PSO was.

When I heard that PSU would be PS2 exclusive I was sad, yes I do own a PS2, but the graphics would be seriously downgraded, and the online support would be lackluster. If anyone has ever played a PS2 game online, you'll know what I mean. But a couple of days ago we got some screenshots, and man, it looks beautiful. My faith was restored, and I'm glad that Sonic Team got the engine running that nice on PS2's dated hardware. Sonic Team has always had good understanding of network coding, so I'm pretty sure my concerns on the online play will be put to rest.

But in the end, it comes down to the fact that Sonic Team is releasing PSO sequels on PC now. And I hate that. I wish I was a billionair so I could buy my way into Sonic Team and make them put it on consoles.

Anyway, I'm thinking of coming back to PSO. I have the BBA, the keyboard, and all of that jazz, and I've been having that giddy "PSO feeling" in me. I think it's time to go back.

Sarek_Ellis
Apr 1, 2005, 12:33 PM
Yeah in a way i agree with you on them making sequals on the PC. I have been playing since the DC version and in a way i dont mind it because i have beat everyone released in the U.S. so i thought it might be good to play. But you should go back and play. Myself im an xbox player but you said you played on GC but oh well. Thought i would post a reply.

PS: Nice Post

Cynric
Apr 1, 2005, 12:36 PM
You failed to mention WHY you would hate PSO on PC.

Saiffy
Apr 1, 2005, 12:37 PM
On 2005-04-01 09:36, Cynric wrote:
You failed to mention WHY you would hate PSO on PC.

Indeed, and you bitching isn't gonna make it coming to GC or Xbox, it's PC exclusive, live with it, move on.

EJ
Apr 1, 2005, 12:37 PM
If you have the urge to go back and play then I encourage you to go and play.

As for the PC version it easy for me since I just bought a adapter and use my cube controller to play BB and plus if you really want that feeling of playing on console you can alway connect you PC to your tv to give you that feeling.

Sarek_Ellis
Apr 1, 2005, 12:39 PM
They make an adapter for the PC so you can use your controler?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sarek_Ellis on 2005-04-01 09:42 ]</font>

Saiffy
Apr 1, 2005, 12:48 PM
On 2005-04-01 09:39, Sarek_Ellis wrote:
They make an adapter for the PC so you can use your controler?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sarek_Ellis on 2005-04-01 09:42 ]</font>

Yes, something like this:
http://members.sparedollar.com/gamebandit/GC-to-PC.jpg

Wyndham
Apr 1, 2005, 12:53 PM
Jason as iMac in Foxtrt: I HAVE NO FLOPPY DRIVE!! (in creepy text)

what I mean is that most of the computers I see today lack a floppy drive.
doi they have ones with the drivers on cds?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Oran1324 on 2005-04-01 09:54 ]</font>

Saiffy
Apr 1, 2005, 12:56 PM
On 2005-04-01 09:53, Oran1324 wrote:
Jason as iMac in Foxtrt: I HAVE NO FLOPPY DRIVE!! (in creepy text)

what I mean is that most of the computers I see today lack a floppy drive.
doi they have ones with the drivers on cds?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Oran1324 on 2005-04-01 09:54 ]</font>

Yes, more or less likely. I just did a quick search on ebay and used the first image I saw

BrokenHope
Apr 1, 2005, 02:42 PM
Games such as pso are better suited to machines with hard drives, I mean shit, if EP 1 and 2 was on PC, do you honestly think it would have lobby fsod problems or half the shit it has now? No, because they would have already patched the client months ago.

Consoles just don't work that great for online games that require constant updates, unless that console has a hard drive.

Skorpius
Apr 1, 2005, 02:48 PM
^ Episode 3 has consatant updates and that's on Gamecube.

Para
Apr 1, 2005, 02:52 PM
not the type of updates you would see on BB though. plus the updates for Ep3 are a lot smaller in comparison to updating for Ep4... think about this... most of the graphics for the new Ep3 maps are recycled so there is no need for the graphic element download. Now for the map... the map is pretty much restricted to one room so comparing it to introducing a whole new map with many rooms, well you get the difference in that.

SJ
Apr 1, 2005, 03:01 PM
Personally, sequels on a PC are fine, I enjoy the leyboard (i dont have a GC one), and like the extra shortcuts.
It's exactly the same what they've done to PSU, put it on a console that successful PSO games (to my knowledge) have never been on.

BrokenHope
Apr 1, 2005, 04:19 PM
On 2005-04-01 11:48, Skorpius wrote:

Releasing shit already on the disk, is hardly the same as adding completely new content and updating files to fix bugs and glitchs now is it?

Saiffy
Apr 1, 2005, 04:21 PM
On 2005-04-01 13:19, BrokenHope wrote:

On 2005-04-01 11:48, Skorpius wrote:

Releasing shit already on the disk, is hardly the same as adding completely new content and updating files to fix bugs and glitchs now is it?

Episode 4 is on a disc, you gotta play online and download patches to play it.

Hurrah for ignorance!

ngamer007
Apr 1, 2005, 05:50 PM
Why don't I like the idea of PSO on a PC? For the same reason I wouldn't want Starcraft on a console (yes I know about the N64 port), or Rez on PC, or Legend of Zelda on a PC.

The magic created by a console game never appears in the PC version. I don't know what it is, it's something I can't describe. It just feels different somehow.

Playing games on a TV using a controller, without installing anything is great. Plus, when you're playing a game on a PC, you can't use your PC anymore. Which yet another reason consoles are great, your PC is still free. So you can still get IMs, your life doesn't have to hault because you're playing a game.

It's just something I can't describe, games just feel different on a PC. Especially a game like PSO, in which one of the biggest reasons I enjoy it is because it's on a console. PSO is one of the biggest "no-no"s when it comes to porting to PC in my eyes.

I already have the equipment to send the signal from my PC to my TV, and I could always buy an adapter to use my GameCube controller with my PC, but even after all of this, it still doesn't feel the same. For example (not like I ever did this, it's just an example of course) playing a SNES ROM on your PC. Even with a controller, it's just not the same. It's not any fun playing an SNES game unless you're playing it on an SNES.

I guess that's the only way to compare it.

digigram
Apr 1, 2005, 06:58 PM
the difference being,
BB = installed and editable (fixable), the cd most of the time is only required for license reasons. which can be taken off. (the hassle of having to have the stupid CD in.)

Console = not installed, not editable, not fixable, but blockable.

Cynric
Apr 1, 2005, 08:38 PM
On 2005-04-01 13:21, Saiffwin wrote:

That was dumb. Ep4 is on a disc, yes, but only what you need to run it. It installs those core files onto your hard drive and there they stay. WHen you patch the game, it updates and changes the files put on your hard drive. The disc is never changed. It is because these files are on your hard drive that they are able to be updated and patched. Files on discs like console games can never be changed, and therefore can never patched.

Hurrah for ignorance!

Getintothegame
Apr 2, 2005, 02:55 PM
You know, I kinda thought of that when I first played the original PSO for PC, and thought it was horrible.

But then, I realized that PC gaming is so much nicer, allowing patches, and clearer graphics if you have the right card.

I use a connector to connect my GC controler to the PC, and also can connect it to our HD TV via PC link if I wanted to. I might do this to play Episode 4 when it is released stateside.

I like JP Blue Burst.

Saiffy
Apr 2, 2005, 03:45 PM
On 2005-04-01 17:38, Cynric wrote:

That was dumb. Ep4 is on a disc, yes, but only what you need to run it. It installs those core files onto your hard drive and there they stay. WHen you patch the game, it updates and changes the files put on your hard drive. The disc is never changed. It is because these files are on your hard drive that they are able to be updated and patched. Files on discs like console games can never be changed, and therefore can never patched.

Hurrah for ignorance!

Hm... How long did it take for BB to get c-mode and BA mode?

How long did it take for BB to get all the government quests?

I'm pretty positive these are on the disc/download, you have to pay and go online to access them, and you are only able to do that when ST gave the OK.

Cynric
Apr 2, 2005, 04:10 PM
Should I bold the words "files on hard drive" again?

Saiffy
Apr 2, 2005, 04:25 PM
On 2005-04-02 13:10, Cynric wrote:
Should I bold the words "files on hard drive" again?

It's a port from the Xbox version, therefor the c-mode data was there in the beginning, you fail

Cynric
Apr 2, 2005, 04:28 PM
Exactly. It was on the disc from the beginning. Upon installation, that data was moved the the hard drive, and it's the data on the hard drive that is modified, not the data on the disc. I win.

digigram
Apr 2, 2005, 05:34 PM
The game istelf. files that were installed from the CD and put on the hard drive... once they are installed, the CD is only required for license purposes, as are most games that are on PC's.

Why is this so hard to understand.. It doesn't matter if Cmode and other things weren't there on the CD to begin with, they are downloaded later, to the hard drive.

HD = editable and fixable from the base of the problem.
CD = small patches that don't fix anything but filter people from being able to exploit it. not rewriting code.

Mixfortune
Apr 2, 2005, 06:30 PM
This is getting out of hand.
Saiff, things are on the disc yes, but it's different than on Xbox or GC or whatever.
Depending on how it's done, ST could later, for example, come out with new costumes for the characters as a patch/update and you can download it, adding to your costume selections, even if those costumes weren't on the disc to begin with.

Now, it's true doing something like adding a whole other mode (like Battle Mode or Challenge Mode) may be more difficult, but it's still possible. Hell they could even add a whole new area if they wanted, and not have it on the disc, it's just that the bigger the update (new areas, monsters, etc.) that weren't on the disc previously would just require a much longer download comparatively.

Point is, BB's "disc information" does not work in the same way GC or XBox does, provided ST made it that way. Whether they did is not the point either. The fact that they can is what matters.

So yes: PC is easier to update and patch than GC/Xbox.

RedBoxHunter
Apr 2, 2005, 07:10 PM
PSO on PC is my dream. Two years of "Cannot find DHCP. Server may not exist or may be down." is enough for me.

Blitzkommando
Apr 3, 2005, 12:05 AM
I myself have all the aforementioned consoles. As well as a PC that could easily handle anything BlueBurst or PSU could dish out. Personally, I would rather play my game on my nice 19' screen at 1280*960(or 1024) resolution than at 320*240 on a television set. PC has the ability to update more data, faster, and cheaper than a console. And really, the point of taking away the PC is a rather moot point when you can get a decent Pentium II PC for under $100 that is perfect for surfing online. Heck, you could probably find a Pentium III being scrapped and get it for next to nothing or even free. A PC has the ability to expand and evolve at the rate at which technology grows. A console, while it has limited growth (eg. Expansion slots), it will never be able to do what a PC can, (eg. new video/sound cards). Consoles, unlike PCs, can be upgraded. I use my PC as my TV anyways, so having it on PC would be that much better because I would be getting that true high resolution picture rather than the best I can get with S-Video.

Rianna_Type1
Apr 3, 2005, 04:40 PM
My PC with component (not composite) video out to my TV, Playstation 2 USB adapter, and audio outputted to my THX sound system is pretty much the same as how I play my consoles. *shrug*

Bring on Blue Burst.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rianna_Type1 on 2005-04-03 14:43 ]</font>

Maridia
Apr 5, 2005, 11:28 AM
My biggest problem with the PC games is that I want to play them, but my computer just can't do it. I don't have the money to shell out for it. At least with the consoles, everything is clear cut and you don't have to fix anything. Although, my laptop seems to meet the requirements, but I read somewhere (on here, I think) that it doesn't do well with laptops. Which is horribly, horribly depressing, and makes this PSO lover incredibly sad.

Not to mention that while FSODing might be patched, the whole PC thing leaves you open for a whole other array of problems caused by smacktards with nothing better to do.

digigram
Apr 5, 2005, 01:38 PM
only reason why it doesn't do well with laptops is the FN key, having to hold that while using the integrated numpad keyboard crap... if your laptop has USB (which should be obvious), then your fine and get the adapter for using a GC controller