PDA

View Full Version : Importing psu?

RyuuHokori
Apr 11, 2005, 01:12 PM
Anyone plan on importing PSU? I was thinking about it since waiting for it will kill me >_>...

But a couple of things came to mind when i thought about this..

I'd have to buy that swap magic boot disc or whatever its called.(Because i dont feel like sending the console and letting them put a chip in it <_<)
What about that cover piece that comes with the swap magic boot disc.
What about a jp address? Would i have to have one if i was to import psu?

Eh..just thought i'd bring it up. >_<

digigram
Apr 11, 2005, 01:44 PM
there is amemory card you can buy that allows you to play imports.. just put it in 2nd mem slot.

RyuuHokori
Apr 11, 2005, 02:13 PM
Are you serious? lol i never knew about this. Can you link me to a site where they sell this?

I always thought you needed to buy that stupid magic boot disc and the cover and stuff...oh well, this is even better i guess.

digigram
Apr 11, 2005, 03:24 PM
damnit.. just looked...can't find them right now for some reason..all i can find is the me card that allows all region DVD play.

i'll let you know asap when i find it.

RyuuHokori
Apr 11, 2005, 03:40 PM
Cool np, cause i just found the site for the swap magic boot disc. I'm shocked that the whole set only costs $39.75. But once you find that other site for the mem card, i'll look into that next.

digigram
Apr 11, 2005, 03:42 PM
Found one that plugs into the USB port, it's 5.95, but I believe it says it requires Actionreplay to play imports.

Rianna_Type1
Apr 11, 2005, 03:42 PM
On 2005-04-11 11:12, RyuuHokori wrote:
I'd have to buy that swap magic boot disc or whatever its called.(Because i dont feel like sending the console and letting them put a chip in it <_<)

Swap Magic doesn't really require any modification of your consoles internal parts. I know, I have one for my PStwo.

If you have a PS2, and not a PStwo, you'll need to either get a slide card or replace the top of your PS2 with a fliptop.

If you have a PStwo like me, you can use a ghost switch or change the flip top to a stealth flip top.

Once you get your slide card or fliptop, you can easily install it yourself. It takes anywhere between 5-15 minutes to replace the top. With a slide card, all you'll need to do is unscrew the very front of your CD tray.

To then play imports or PS2 backups, the process is as follows:

1. Put in the Swap Magic CD/DVD
2. At the "Load Program" prompt, use either your fliptop or slide card to replace the Swap Magic CD/DVD with the backup or import of your choice. (Make sure you close your fliptop or tray after replacing the disc... but that should be self-explainitory..)
3. Press X.

It's not really that hard at all.

Swap Magic will run you about $30, I believe... or is it $25 ? I dunno, it's not that expensive. Slide card is also very cheap, probably $5 or less, you can also make your own slide card. If you want a fliptop, it'll run you like $20.

http://www.vengefulsoda.com/pstwo_flip_small.jpg

And here we have is a picture of my stealth fliptop on my PStwo. Note that it has the normal fliptop which can be opened by pressing eject, but it also has the stealth flip which is opened by just lifting the little flap on the top.

RyuuHokori
Apr 11, 2005, 07:06 PM
Now when you say PStwo, do you mean that new slimmer one? Or just a different one.

But anyway, thanks a lot for the info about the swap magic. I myself have a ps2 i dunno what version but it says it works with any version of a PS2. I'll be ordering the swap magic set then.

Rianna_Type1
Apr 11, 2005, 07:43 PM
Yeah, I said it'd work with both the PS2 and PStwo.

With the PS2, I said you'd need either a slide card or fliptop case.

With the PStwo, I said you'd need either a ghost switch or a stealth fliptop.

Hulex
Apr 19, 2005, 07:20 PM
Waiting for it will kill you, huh? Well, when it comes to Phantasy Star titles that go online, things have been kind of...ehh...

With the Dreamcast games, you got the best deal if you imported PSO and PSO Ep 2, since you got an extra quest download I think. However, don't forget how we got totally screwed over with the import of PSO Ep I and II for GameCube with that stupid bug. I couldn't return the game, so I ended up with a needlessly modded game cube and two copies of the same game, with one the USA version being able to go online with other English speakers and PSOW members and whatnot.

If I were you, I'd have faith in the USA release, since I think companies have been better about giving us the fair deal on things, if not a little better.

_Tek_
Jul 29, 2005, 08:40 PM
Wait! I've heard that when the Japanese version is released it won't even have the english options, or any other language options. That's why our release is sooo many months after.

Arislan
Jul 29, 2005, 08:46 PM
Nothing has been stated about language options, so don't count any chickens yet. Heck, until I picked up Ep 3 and posted along with a few other first day people, noone knew if the JP version of that would have language options either.

Nash
Jul 29, 2005, 08:53 PM
The latest PSU trailer released at the recent PlayStation Meeting in Japan was all in English, both the cut-scenes and the ingame weapon-names.

So this makes PSU being multi-language like PSO and Episode I&II more likely. The close-release dates between Japan and the US also imply there's just one version of the game with all the languages.

Of course we won't know for sure till it's out in Japan, but I'm a lot more hopeful than before.

Rubesahl
Jul 29, 2005, 11:33 PM
I'll honestly import if there's an english option o.o; I enjoyed SO MUCH playing GC PSO import that I really want do it again ;D Only one thing bothers me... if multiple regions will be connected >_> if not, I'll reconsider getting or just getting it twice O_o I might even buy the game even if it's japanese only, i love pso that much. As for regions I won't have any problems since I'll get it on PC http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif worst thing would be that I have to switch windows to japanese.

_Tek_
Jul 30, 2005, 12:19 AM
Oh well then, what I heard was wrong. Perhaps its the voice acting they'll need to change for the US release in feb.

Eihwaz
Jul 30, 2005, 12:38 AM
The only time I didn't wait for a game to be imported was PSO: BB, and I only did that becuase the only special things I had to do were configure the special language options. It didn't take more than a few small downloads and a few modified settings. And I didn't really care about having to play it in JP, since it had the same story from the English edition of PSO.

On the other hand, PSU is a totally new game with a huge new storyline, so I'll wait for it in English. Besides being able to read the story, playing in English negates the need of a katakana chart. XD

_Tek_
Jul 30, 2005, 09:43 AM
So who's going to be the first english speaking player online?

I remember when PSO-I&II came out one english person was online before everyone else, and posted pics of the ship all empty and new. It was cool.

Parn
Jul 30, 2005, 10:07 AM
I'll definitely be importing this. It was interesting back when I imported the original Phantasy Star Online for Dreamcast, and the US ships were up and running despite the US release being delayed a few weeks.

Good ol' Miranda 5...

Cynric
Jul 30, 2005, 11:42 AM
If the servers are connected and there's an english option, then I'll import. If either of these conditions aren't met, I'll be waiting for the english version.

Arislan
Jul 30, 2005, 11:48 AM
Were I still in Japan, that guy on the servers by himself would very likely be me. But given that I'll be importing with the rest of everyone else, I'll be on whenever the rest of us are. Perfectly willing to look at registration screens to help that first guy that gets his copy online before me though.

Rubesahl
Jul 30, 2005, 12:48 PM
On 2005-07-30 09:48, Arislan wrote:
Were I still in Japan, that guy on the servers by himself would very likely be me. But given that I'll be importing with the rest of everyone else, I'll be on whenever the rest of us are. Perfectly willing to look at registration screens to help that first guy that gets his copy online before me though.

Aaw http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif how nice : ) -writes down his name- lol

DarK-SuN
Jul 30, 2005, 02:21 PM
Hopefully the regions will all be linked (and versions), so no one will be alone for long. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

_Tek_
Jul 31, 2005, 03:43 PM
Considering I need my pstwo send in for repair (the memory card slots fried, a very rare occurance, usually sony console gets dre's) I might as well mod it after that, since they'd be destroynig my warranty label to repair it. But I really don't want all that extra crap like changing teh flip top and such.

Kuja2k3
Aug 7, 2005, 01:48 AM
It's been a long time since I've been to the boards, but I'll probably be importing again too. Parn is about the only one I remember.

PrinceBrightstar
Aug 7, 2005, 09:12 PM
while this topic has lots of good information for imports, it either encourages the use of a cheat disk, or also opens the way for illegal copies to be used, as such, I'm going have a mod lock this, and suggest you guys talk about the PC version instead because as far as I can tell PC Cds don't have region protection.