PDA

View Full Version : untitled: update

PhotonDrop
Apr 17, 2005, 08:31 PM
I found out why I can't keep friends. I have no sense of humor, apparently.

On IRC I mention something and one who will be unnamed makes this stupid comment and it gets me worked up. Sometimes I clench my teeth in real life and curse the person, or I might get so angry that I want to kill that person. But it's just not fair...
I reply to something and get a smartass comment, but if I remain silent stupid things will be said and no one gives a damn.

I can't say anything about this in the channel because the said person is an arrogant block head who think's he's "funnay n clevar" AND somehow became an operator. Simple rule of the channel is that if you hate the ops you don't get to go there, but I at least want to stay there for the few people who are kind enough to say hi and not be an ass when I ask a simple question like "Hey, does this picture I made look decent enough for a sig?"

Then in real life things just aren't any easier. I'm suddenly a target for my friend's friends because I'm white, female, don't like the taste of alcohol, don't smoke, and rides a skateboard. My friends tell me they can't stop those people from being that way...

WHY THE HELL NOT?!

If they are your friend they can at least do you the simple favor of not messing with me every chance they get.

gah, I'm fucking tired of being stepped on all the god damn time >.<

Corey
Apr 17, 2005, 09:01 PM
If they say they can't fix that, than maybe they should consider the fact; maybe they really aren't this friend's friend.

(If I'm even reading this right.)

Mixfortune
Apr 17, 2005, 09:04 PM
First of all, I don't know any of the ops that think they are "funnay and clevar"...
The efforts to make it unnamed as to who you're referring to are halted short when it's narrowed down to IRC and operator.

A lot of things, especially online, are not worth clenching teeth and cursing their name. Everyone gives smartass comments about random things, not to say that makes it alright, but certainly all sides have had their fair share of such things.

I probably wasn't around for this supposed bashing while asking if a picture is suitable for a sig, or if that was just some sort of example. And it's a bit more than "Anyone the ops don't like get banned" or something lame like that, don't assume please. There's a lot of people I don't necessarily care for, but as with the other ops I'm sure, but you don't see everyone getting banned left and right.

Just some advice in general, especially on the internet, don't let every single little thing get you upset, it tends to turn things sour quickly, not to mention there is a slight tendency for simple issues to drive quickly out of control.

In the future, if you're referring to a specific member, even one of the chat, try bringing it up with them personally, in PMs etc.

As for the IRL stuff, there's idiots all over. So they bash you for not doing stupid things like not drinking or smoking... big deal. When they have complications because of all the shit they were doing when they were younger, you'll have plenty of time to laugh back at them. They basically chose a stupid thing to TRY insulting you about. Just doesn't work if you acknowledge it as something useless they're doing.

PhotonDrop
Apr 17, 2005, 09:17 PM
On 2005-04-17 19:04, Mixfortune wrote:
First of all, I don't know any of the ops that think they are "funnay and clevar"...
The efforts to make it unnamed as to who you're referring to are halted short when it's narrowed down to IRC and operator.

congradulations, you figured out the flamingly obvious.

A lot of things, especially online, are not worth clenching teeth and cursing their name. Everyone gives smartass comments about random things, not to say that makes it alright, but certainly all sides have had their fair share of such things.

really? then why am I always the target when I type a single question?

And it's a bit more than "Anyone the ops don't like get banned" or something lame like that, don't assume please.

Read what I wrote again, I said anyone who doesn't like the ops get banned, not anyone the ops don't like. Don't assume please

Just some advice in general, especially on the internet, don't let every single little thing get you upset, it tends to turn things sour quickly, not to mention there is a slight tendency for simple issues to drive quickly out of control.

Then try not being on my case all the time.

In the future, if you're referring to a specific member, even one of the chat, try bringing it up with them personally, in PMs etc.

We tried that before, remember? you thought it better to bash me on shit Eclair has told you.

As for the IRL stuff, there's idiots all over. So they bash you for not doing stupid things like not drinking or smoking... big deal. When they have complications because of all the shit they were doing when they were younger, you'll have plenty of time to laugh back at them. They basically chose a stupid thing to TRY insulting you about. Just doesn't work if you acknowledge it as something useless they're doing.

Yeah, the only difference is they don't use words to insult with. <.<

ABDUR101
Apr 17, 2005, 09:28 PM
The IRC thing you might as well deal with directly with the person involved. Or just deal with it and take whatever is being said with a grain of salt. There are a lot of smart aleck comments thrown around, constantly, in IRC, when I log in I'm ready to just let loose and not give much of a damn, I'm there to have fun, taking everything to heart doesn't allow that.

As for the real life stuff, meh, don't hang around those friends if their friends are around. If you want to hang out with a friend, tell them you don't like how the others treat you, if they don't either mention to their other friends to tone it down abit, or they don't atleast speak up for you, step back and take a look at whether or not it's worth having friends that won't stand up for you.

Heh, or, again, deal with it. All of my brother's friends were complete asses to me growing up, and my brother never really stood up for me or told them to take it easy, so I either had to step up and dish it back out if I wanted to do stuff with my brother when his friends were around, or just hang out by myself(which is what I did much of the time).

Sef
Apr 17, 2005, 09:28 PM
On 2005-04-17 19:17, PhotonDrop wrote:

So... They use pictures?

Mixfortune
Apr 17, 2005, 09:30 PM
Don't makes rants about specific members.
Granted it wasn't even that well covered to begin with.

Right, technicalities on whether ops hate people or whether people hate ops. My mistake, but the point remains. We don't just ban people who don't like us. It's when things get disruptive to the channel that serious action is taken. Although oftentimes, breaking of rules and being disruptive to the channel sometimes appear after or with a hating of the ops, hence the parallel. The point alone that you "hate" some ops and that you're still around break that particular argument.

You're not targetted (by me, anyways) any more than any other particular person. Don't give yourself too much credit.

I won't be on your case if you stop being on my case. Fair?

It was more than "the shit Eclair told me", don't think that was the only factor. How you handle the situation in particular affects things as well. Remember that.

Online, there only IS words, for the most part, especially since voice chat seems too difficult, right? If the irl stuff is more action oriented, then you may need some outside help. Not so much we can do here to help with any of these situations.

Try taking the indirect flame/flamebaiting attempts somewhere else next time. Like not in a topic.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mixfortune on 2005-04-17 19:42 ]</font>

Solstis
Apr 17, 2005, 09:33 PM
On 2005-04-17 19:28, Sef wrote:

On 2005-04-17 19:17, PhotonDrop wrote:

So... They use pictures?

Maybe they do it passive aggressively.

For instance, I am not specifically voicing my disapproval for this entire silly scenario.

For example, posting:

"Wah! I'm being suppressed! Let me take it out on people facing similar situations in life, yet claim that I am misunderstood, merely because I'm self-centered with a habit of being bitchy! I cannot take a joke, nor can I ever overlook a single instance where I have been trounced!

Burn! Raze! Kill!"

Would be a direct attack on PD's personage, and I would never stoop that low.

Sagasu
Apr 17, 2005, 09:35 PM

A lot of things, especially online, are not worth clenching teeth and cursing their name.

Easier said than done,

One cannot simply 'change' or 'prevent' their emotions from happening >.>;

Though it is often unwise to continue to prolong your presence in a source of this much conflict.

KodiaX987
Apr 17, 2005, 09:38 PM
IRC clearly isn't the place for you.

Mixfortune
Apr 17, 2005, 09:39 PM
On 2005-04-17 19:35, Sagasu wrote:

A lot of things, especially online, are not worth clenching teeth and cursing their name.

Easier said than done,

One cannot simply 'change' or 'prevent' their emotions from happening >.>;

Though it is often unwise to continue to prolong your presence in a source of this much conflict.

True, I know all too well how online emotions can sometimes carry over.
But there are times when every other thing should not be taken so heavily, which was the point.

Sagasu
Apr 17, 2005, 09:45 PM
On 2005-04-17 19:39, Mixfortune wrote:

True, I know all too well how online emotions can sometimes carry over.
But there are times when every other thing should not be taken so heavily, which was the point.

Quite,

Since online is where most people feel no remorse in taking out their own frustrations on those who do not deserve it, its often best if you can gradually learn to look away.

Which brings up the question of which is more likely,

- Someone learning to ignore or get over the problems in the current situation.

- Someone walking away from the problematic place.

- Or someone fighting with everyone and everything that presents on opinion or challenge that is not to their liking since they think they do not wish to bother with the above.

u.u~

Mixfortune
Apr 17, 2005, 09:49 PM
On 2005-04-17 19:45, Sagasu wrote:

Quite,

Since online is where most people feel no remorse in taking out their own frustrations on those who do not deserve it, its often best if you can gradually learn to look away.

Which brings up the question of which is more likely,

- Someone learning to ignore or get over the problems in the current situation.

- Someone walking away from the problematic place.

- Or someone fighting with everyone and everything that presents on opinion or challenge that is not to their liking since they think they do not wish to bother with the above.

u.u~

Indeed. Of course, this is something that all sides go through, in one way or another. It's not really so much of a "one against all" situation all the time... not sure if that's what you meant, but I sort of got that from your post. This part in particular applies to all sides:

Either the "group" can be the ones feeling no remorse in taking out their own frustrations on those who do not deserve it, or the "singled out" person can. I guess it's that sort of circumstances that lead to so many internet conflicts, yeah? Debating with people you don't know or will likely never see.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mixfortune on 2005-04-17 19:50 ]</font>

Para
Apr 18, 2005, 12:03 AM
Heh I feel your pain PD.

I thought it was sad that the IRC was not really an official channel so a lot of "fuckeries" could happen and no one would do much shit about it because it ain't official and doesn't need to be moderated properly.

Mixfortune
Apr 18, 2005, 12:17 AM
On 2005-04-17 22:03, Nites wrote:
Heh I feel your pain PD.

I thought it was sad that the IRC was not really an official channel so a lot of "fuckeries" could happen and no one would do much shit about it because it ain't official and doesn't need to be moderated properly.

It's moderated properly.
It just follows a different mindset of moderation.
Just like how different forums moderate themselves differently, that's how the IRC channel moderates itself differently from the forum.

It's completely different, but that in no way means that the channel isn't moderated.

navci
Apr 18, 2005, 01:36 AM
If you have a problem, don't come in?
If you hate the guts of the people who are there, why bother?

I got kicked randomly from a channel ran by assholes. I never go back in again. If you liked some of the people in there. You can always stay in IRC, MSG them, invite them to your own channel. Really, like how it is IRL, if you hate a place, hated the people, just stay away. No need to bring frustrations upon yourself.

Para
Apr 18, 2005, 07:54 AM
On 2005-04-17 22:17, Mixfortune wrote:

On 2005-04-17 22:03, Nites wrote:
Heh I feel your pain PD.

It's moderated properly.
It just follows a different mindset of moderation.
Just like how different forums moderate themselves differently, that's how the IRC channel moderates itself differently from the forum.

It's completely different, but that in no way means that the channel isn't moderated.

Well whether its moderated properly or not is subjective but imo I think it can be definitely better than what it is right now. Plus its selection of ops... not the best...

Hrith
Apr 18, 2005, 11:47 AM
Just shut your mouth, Nites, your input on the matter is irrelevant. The choice of operators is none of your business, and is very good, by the way.

I have never seen any op, or user, harassing, stalking, etc. any other person on #psow, PD is probably a bit paranoid or has an ego issue.

I know 5 or 6 users that regularly get kicked, temporarily banned or "pwned" by ops (and sometimes non-ops for the latter), and still come back, enjoy the place, and DON'T MAKE A FUSS ABOUT IT.

Besides, like Navi said, if you don't like the place, don't come back, no one forces you to.

You really need to cool off if IRC stuff makes you "clench your teeth", I honestly don't like hearing that it affects you this way; but since it does, you have only one alternative, either leave, or just take it as a joke, because it is.

I find #psow a very fun channel, and it's so much enjoyable thanks to how it's run, obvioulsy.

ABDUR101
Apr 18, 2005, 11:54 AM
I think the IRC is ran fine. Go in with the intention to have fun and stop worrying about what is said or done. Go along, throw in your own into the mix. I say a lot of fucked up shit, and if anyone has taken it to heart, you honestly have no idea how much I don't care.

Just like people who whine about how PSOW is ran, if you can't stand it, or think it could be done better, go elsewhere, it's ran how it's ran, our standards, not yours. Same can be said about the IRC, go start your own and run it as you see fit.

Topic over anyway, any problems with a particular member can be taken to PM, and any problems in IRC are quite easily discussed in IRC.

Overall, lighten up, don't take things so personal. And good luck with your friends in real life.