PDA

View Full Version : This game's winner is...

PhotonDrop
Apr 19, 2005, 03:29 PM
CONGRATULATIONS! IF YOU ARE READING THIS MESSAGE, IT MEANS YOU HAVE REACHED THE END OF THE MAZE! YOU ARE THE WINNER OF THE FKL CONTEST! To claim your prize, start a new thread in FKL with the title "i r t3h w1nn3r!!11!". In your post, link to the disapprove emoticon.

FOX!

damn, the old Smash Brothers was so unbalanced D:

EJ
Apr 19, 2005, 03:33 PM
http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

It was Samus who was the powerhouse D:

I miss her in those days.

Daikarin
Apr 19, 2005, 03:39 PM
http://www.eurogamer.net/assets/converted/pics/screenshots/supersmash/a_med_oct01b.jpg

OWNED

EJ
Apr 19, 2005, 03:42 PM
I feel bad for toad yet not so bad at the same time.

Scrub
Apr 19, 2005, 03:53 PM
Every fighting game is unbalanced.

Shadowpawn
Apr 19, 2005, 04:22 PM
Captain Falcon>You = Old SSB

Marth>You =New SSB

PJ
Apr 19, 2005, 04:48 PM
Frankly, the Mario characters are the overly cheap in the new Smash Bros.

Although, I love playing Fox/Roy/Bowser. And if I'm playing Kirby, chances are I'll just annoy you with continues taunting!

"Hiiii! Hiiiii! Hiiii!" "OHMYGAWDMAEARSARETEHLEETDEAD!"

Old smash bros was definately Captain Falcon >.>

ViewtifulJoe
Apr 19, 2005, 05:29 PM
Link was like a sack of lead on old bros, but being the only character with strong ranged attacks (not like samus's charge shot, but "ha! you can't touch me!" that his sword allows him.) he pwned, as well as some others.

Now, I'll whip anyone with Falco, and my friend is on about the same level, more of less with Marth. We've found, in general, that if Roy is one of your best characters, sure you can whip any computer, but you aren't as good against humans. Anyone can run circles around Roy, and as soon as you take the battle to the air, Roy is helpless.

My biggest rant about the game is that the two coolest cahracters aren't any good. Mewtwo and Mr. Game and Watch. I gotta Fonewn named after game and watch!

Skorpius
Apr 19, 2005, 05:35 PM
Actually, Kirby was undefeatable in the hands of a skilled player due to many edge guarding techniques.

EJ
Apr 19, 2005, 05:37 PM
Mewtwo is very good. I dunno what you are talking about. It just takes more time to learn and master his attacks then the other characters.

ViewtifulJoe
Apr 19, 2005, 05:40 PM
On 2005-04-19 15:35, Skorpius wrote:
Actually, Kirby was undefeatable in the hands of a skilled player due to many edge guarding techniques.

Hoo boy... That only works on humans. Computers will, and almost alway do, break out of those throws and recover, so all that happens is you SD

So far, no kirby I've fought could successfully defeat me, with or without the throws.

Unless you're talking about edge hogging (standing on edge waiting to hit someone while recovering.) We try not to do that, because that's on thing that's kind of cheesy. (sure coms do it, but they suck at it.)

Sagasu
Apr 19, 2005, 05:48 PM
I would tear all of you to pieces with Roy,

muahahahaha

*wheeze*

Skuda
Apr 19, 2005, 05:49 PM
On 2005-04-19 13:29, PhotonDrop wrote:
FOX!

damn, that broadcast company has too much garbage we just can't help but watch... WE SURRENDER!!

you sure do PD, you sure do.

PhotonDrop
Apr 19, 2005, 06:09 PM
On 2005-04-19 15:49, Scott_Kuda wrote:

On 2005-04-19 13:29, PhotonDrop wrote:
FOX!

damn, that broadcast company has too much garbage we just can't help but watch... WE SURRENDER!!

you sure do PD, you sure do.

Shut up. D:

Skorpius
Apr 19, 2005, 07:40 PM
On 2005-04-19 15:40, ViewtifulJoe wrote:

Hoo boy... That only works on humans. Computers will, and almost alway do, break out of those throws and recover, so all that happens is you SD

So far, no kirby I've fought could successfully defeat me, with or without the throws.

Since PD was talking about the OLD Super Smash Brothers, the throw was NOT what I was talking about/ Kirby's Spiral Kick and Final Cutter were very devestating and rather rude to players who were knowcked off the edge.

Unless you're talking about edge hogging (standing on edge waiting to hit someone while recovering.) We try not to do that, because that's on thing that's kind of cheesy. (sure coms do it, but they suck at it.)
You should start, since it's what others will do in sanctioned tournaments.

ViewtifulJoe
Apr 19, 2005, 08:05 PM
I'm scared of tourneys http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Though I'd would probably do pretty good, cause eveyone else I play loses to my mighty might

Shadowpawn
Apr 19, 2005, 08:08 PM
Why didn't people just jump off when Final Cutter comes flying their way, get hit and gain an extra B attack from that hit. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadowpawn on 2005-04-19 18:08 ]</font>

Skorpius
Apr 19, 2005, 08:16 PM
Because, if you're hit with the blade (not the shockwave), you get shot downward and die instantly.

ViewtifulJoe
Apr 19, 2005, 08:17 PM
Cause no one's as smart as you. There are way around these things, and playing against someone using kirby works better than trying to explain tactics due to the cause/effect relationship of players' attacks.

2 kirby quirks...
A. Computers will stand under a flying kirby, and not move an inch when you use stone and crush them. EVERY TIME. Computers also sit in stone as long as possible, (they probably think they're invincible) and then get their ass kicked by my grab.
B. You can tell a com. Kirby's AI puts copying an enemy on high priority, even if it's fighting another Kirby. Half each Kiby's damage is from swallowing, "Hey, WTF, it's another kirby!" *spits out*, "Hey a guy to swallow... Wtf?"

Shadowpawn
Apr 19, 2005, 08:22 PM
On 2005-04-19 18:16, Skorpius wrote:
Because, if you're hit with the blade (not the shockwave), you get shot downward and die instantly.

Oh that, that's easy to avoid. I just either jump off than b move my way up to either avoid the attack or hit them out of Final Cutter or I just climb up the edge because you are invincible for a few second before the attack actually hits.

Para
Apr 19, 2005, 08:46 PM
I thought pikachu was the best character in the old ssb...

in the new one.. i am unsure @-@

Blitzkommando
Apr 19, 2005, 09:37 PM
I tested my abilites in the old SSB. Back in my hayday I was equivilant to a level 900+ Com based on the average kills and speed with level increases. Needless to say, Kirby was my choice character in SSB.

SSBM is a completely different story. With all the attacks redesigned and basically the whole physics changed I play as Dr. Mario or Roy most of the time.

All in all, any character can be freaktastically awesome, it just takes a player with the skills and ability to read the nuances of the character to do so. (I had a friend who used Jigglypuff as his main and did extremely well)

Mixfortune
Apr 19, 2005, 11:53 PM
Been a long while since I've played the older one, but I seem to recall Kirby being heavily "nerfed" for Melee.

Lately, I seem to be getting quite a bit better as Peach on Melee... used to be Marth and Sheik... but the huge gaps in time between picking it up again each time changes how I start it back up.

Errr... that last line seems wordy, but oh well.

I used to go online and print off those "scenarios" some people would make, to try them out. Most were meh, but there's some fun ones here and there. I was going to make some sort of multiplayer RPG type scenarios, but things like not being able to choose individual player's stock number made it annoying (yes you could suicide each player to the proper amount of starting lives, but it took too much time over the number of matches).

Outrider
Apr 20, 2005, 12:10 AM
Actually, the interesting thing about Kirby's Up+B move and other characters' Down+A moves in the original Smash Bros is that Kirby's Cutter move could not be recovered from. If you got hit by it, you were stuck in a fall until you either hit the ground or fell off the screen. The Down+A moves could all be recovered from, so they weren't nearly as deadly.

And while that's been nerfed for Melee, Kirby can still suck in enemies and spit them out beneath a level with enough time to recover himself.

Really cheap and evil, but good fun every once in a while.

But yeah, Kirby was pretty much unstoppable in the original Smash Bros. It got so bad that almost all my friends ended up being Kirby in almost every match.

Now in Melee - I'd still argue Link. I've seen very few people that can defeat a good Link. He's just too strong and has too many ranged attacks. Not stronger than all characters, but he has enough attacks that will send you flying. His Up+B is a superior move. Plus, a good Link player knows that they can continually pester their opponents with his different projectiles which will rack up damage quicker than you think. It also gives more things for the other player to have to keep an eye out for, allowing for more openings.

Plus, Link's shield has saved me more than one time when I wasn't paying attention and a powerful projectile happened to dissipate on it.

ViewtifulJoe
Apr 20, 2005, 12:16 AM
On 2005-04-19 19:37, BLITZKOMMANDO wrote:
(I had a friend who used Jigglypuff as his main and did extremely well)

Was it me? Jigglypuff is surprisingly a very good character, and I've said, (and am half serious) that pound is the best attack in the game.

Outrider
Apr 20, 2005, 01:58 AM
On 2005-04-19 22:16, ViewtifulJoe wrote:

Was it me? Jigglypuff is surprisingly a very good character, and I've said, (and am half serious) that pound is the best attack in the game.

Pound? How so?

ViewtifulJoe
Apr 20, 2005, 02:10 AM
In all seriousness, I love the move, it's not the best in the game, but don't underestimate it.

You gain quite a bit of distance on the ground, and more in the air. It's kind of a charging move, so anyone in your way when you use it is bound to get smashed. It the style of a running move, very similar to mario's charging A attack. However, Jigglypuff requires no running start, so you can pull a charging move with no momentum. When the attack hits, it does good damage (15-10, I think) and the player is stunned and sent in the air not very far, so you can easily follow up. Jiggly has good air, and nice floating jump pattern that makes mid air juggling easy.

A very nice strategy with Jigglypuff is instead of blocking moves, retreat slightly so you're out of range (works best in the air) and pound back in. They're recovering, and even someone with a short recover like Sheik is open enough to get pounded.

What would happen is I'd open an air target, he'd jump up to it, use an air attack, I puff out a little so he comes short, then POUNDED! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif I hope this answers your question.

Outrider
Apr 20, 2005, 02:33 AM
Ah, juggling. Makes sense.

I don't use Jigglypuff, so I've never really come across it, but it's a fair enough tactic.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Outrider on 2005-04-20 00:33 ]</font>

Rianna_Type1
Apr 20, 2005, 03:11 AM
Roy > *

Mixfortune
Apr 20, 2005, 03:58 AM
On 2005-04-19 23:58, Outrider wrote:

On 2005-04-19 22:16, ViewtifulJoe wrote:

Pound? How so?

I take it that's the punching move where she goes "Puff!"
Use it again a fast falling character, like Fox... pretty amusing. Back and forth, back and forth.

It also takes a long time to actually "end" it's collision check, which can sometimes catch people off guard if they try and come in too quickly.

But yeah, pretty good juggling move, coupled with the right combination of course.

Maridia
Apr 20, 2005, 05:02 AM
Yeah, Kirby was a little monster in the hands of a pro on the old Smash Bros. I favored party hat Pikachu, though. People hated me. ._.

On SSBM, I'm incredibly good with Shiek, and Peach. Marth is a favorite. And really, playing against someone who's good with Captain Falcon or Fox/Falco, or Samus, is evil. Oh, and as for Mr. Game and Watch, my ex was just.. really really good with him. It was fascinating. So really, any character can be good when used properly. Frankly, I stink with Samus, but I also haven't tried to learn using her. That doesn't mean she's bad. XD

But Peach is the best. .. and not just because you can see up her skirt. >_< But it helps. She's a little powerhouse if you know how to use her.

Favorite SSBM moment of all time, I was Marth fighting against Link, and the computer and I seemed to keep attacking eachother at the exact same time, resulting in the swords clanging off of eachother, one after the other. It was like a real sword fight for like, 7 attacks. It was so cool, I wish someone else had seen it x.x

TheAntagonist
Apr 20, 2005, 05:40 AM
Green headband jiggly puff! the green assasin oooo
or
Green derby hat pikachu! Pika plus hat= kikass leprechaun rat.

Mixfortune
Apr 20, 2005, 05:42 AM
On 2005-04-20 03:02, Maridia wrote:

But Peach is the best. .. and not just because you can see up her skirt. >_< But it helps. She's a little powerhouse if you know how to use her.

Down smash comes to mind... poor Ganondorf.
Was once able to give him 70%+ in a matter of seconds... my brother didn't like that. XD

Forward throw isn't too bad either.

Daikarin
Apr 20, 2005, 11:42 AM
On 2005-04-20 09:42, Outrider wrote:
Man, this is making me really want to play some Smash Bros.

You're on.

Outrider
Apr 20, 2005, 11:42 AM

Shadowpawn
Apr 20, 2005, 12:56 PM
On 2005-04-20 09:42, Outrider wrote:

I already had yesterday. Hurrah for nostagia!

On 2005-04-19 21:53, Mixfortune wrote:

I used to go online and print off those "scenarios" some people would make, to try them out. Most were meh, but there's some fun ones here and there. I was going to make some sort of multiplayer RPG type scenarios, but things like not being able to choose individual player's stock number made it annoying (yes you could suicide each player to the proper amount of starting lives, but it took too much time over the number of matches).

The ones on GF? Hell, I think I did one...it's not finish however (and still isn't. o.O)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadowpawn on 2005-04-20 10:58 ]</font>

Shiva91
Apr 20, 2005, 01:09 PM

Yes very, he used to be my very best, now they messed him up in Ssbm, Ganondorf is my best now http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Zzzzzz
Apr 20, 2005, 01:20 PM
I used to kick sooo much ass with Shiek. I would do Forward+A to an opponent, turn around, and then do Forward+A again, rinse and repeat...

Of course, I would be incredible fast with her, which helped alot.