PDA

View Full Version : Games/whatever going out of production

Ketchup345
Apr 23, 2005, 09:37 PM
I hate when a company stops making games/CDs/probably books, etc.

Background for rant:
I'm currently searching for a copy of Lunar for the PS, and can't find one locally, and the stores I checked online don't have any for a reasonable price (I am not paying $50+ for a used game x.x).
I had similar troubles looking for FFVII (managed to find a single copy new at Walmart) and FFVIII (had to settle for used).

Would it be too hard for the manufacturer's to keep a few new copies in each store, or city? Or at least in a (popular) online store? Or even a site where one can order games that are no longer available from stores would be great, they can be run by the manufacturer and charge the original $50 if they wanted; but of course it would make the most sense if they were dedicated to games no longer available in stores.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ketchup345 on 2005-04-23 19:41 ]</font>

Evil_Althena8
Apr 23, 2005, 10:23 PM
...you had trouble finding FFVII and FFVIII? Wow...there's hundreds of those everywhere around here, especially VII. Lunar is very hard to find, especially in its original packaging. Every game store I go to I search the used game section...usually to see if they have Valkyrie Profile(a very rare game).

Blue-Hawk
Apr 24, 2005, 11:55 AM
Think those are hard to get? Try getting your hands on a copy of Xenogears. >_< THEN you will feel agrivation. GYAAAAHAHAHH!!!! Been trying to get one back for a year and a half now. That and Einhander and Raystorm.

space_butler
Apr 24, 2005, 01:57 PM
cant you just get the stuff off ebay? that place has tons of old games.

Ketchup345
Apr 24, 2005, 02:17 PM
On 2005-04-24 11:57, space_butler wrote:
cant you just get the stuff off ebay? that place has tons of old games.

I'd prefer to get items new and from actual vendors.

I'm not a huge fan of Ebay. When ordering some things, normal stores or online stores are faster.

Also, many on Ebay are now accepting only Paypal, and my family doesn't have one and don't want to set one up.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ketchup345 on 2005-04-24 12:20 ]</font>

Mystil
Apr 24, 2005, 02:57 PM
On 2005-04-24 09:55, Blue-Hawk wrote:
Think those are hard to get? Try getting your hands on a copy of Xenogears. >_< THEN you will feel agrivation. GYAAAAHAHAHH!!!! Been trying to get one back for a year and a half now. That and Einhander and Raystorm.

Uh for some reason Xenogears has always easy to find in my town. I donno maybe that 39.99$ price tag is the reason. Old ass game that is still 40 bucks.

I can relate to Ketchup, I spent 3 years looking for Suikoden II and when I found one, I sucked it up and paid 64 dollars for it.

Blitzkommando
Apr 24, 2005, 03:12 PM
Stores around here still sell Final Fantasy VII and up new. For $20 too. I never thought there would be a day where those would be hard to find.

There used to be a really great place for finding used games, Funcoland. I would check Amazon.com though, they sometimes have some decent stuff. Also, check local low end stores, like K-Mart. You would be surprised what you can find in those places. Companies wouldn't be willing to sell old games though because the majority of the people who would want it, already bought it.

Oh, and, old rental stores. I purchased my SNES, SMW, 2 controllers, all the cables, and a nice hard travel case from an old rental store for $30. Not bad considering the SNES is selling used now for as much as $50, with one controller and no games.

Blue-Hawk
Apr 24, 2005, 05:36 PM
For just $21, you too can own a pre-owned Lunar Silver Star Story, no case or directions, from the Gamestop by my job. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
Was looking for Xenogears as the website states they have one, but got ahold of a true rarity- Darkstalkers 3!

KodiaX987
Apr 24, 2005, 06:02 PM
You think that's bad?

I have a rally game dated from 1999. All the companies that were involved in making it vanished off the face of the earth. Talk about lacking tech support.

Zelutos
Apr 24, 2005, 06:25 PM
Do you work at a store that sells games? It's hard to keep things in stock. Where i work, i'm in charge of ordering products for tuesdays. Alrighty, so i order everything we need (mostly the games) and i get most of the stuff in, some stuff i don't get.

Now, don't blame the store if they don't have what you want. Chances are someone tried to order them, but the WAREHOUSE is the one that is all out of the product. We can't just keep extras aside just because there are people out there who are unfortunate enough to not be in the store at the times we have the product you want. We run out, if we have extras, they go out, once those are gone we order some more, if the warehouse is out, well, then we're all out of luck.

Sorry for your bad luck, though.

By the way, how does 7 bucks each for FFVII and FFVIII brand new? Well, that's what we've got where i work.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zelutos on 2005-04-24 16:30 ]</font>

Ketchup345
Apr 24, 2005, 06:38 PM
No, I don't have a job right now, but I'm looking.

I don't think I ever blamed the stores.
It may be hard to keep things in stock, and that's understandable. My complaint is not with the stores, it is that the warehouses can't get the items (not necessarily always games) from the warehouses who can't get it from the manufacturer.

Like I said above, why not have some type of ordering system for games that aren't produced full time anymore? I'm sure that each company still has all the stuff needed and can easily make more up if they wanted. Make an online site that allows people to order "out of production games" direct from the company. I'm sure it wouldn't kill them.
Don't just stop making a game; keep making it, just in much lower quantities.

Nai_Calus
Apr 24, 2005, 08:32 PM
I tried to see if I could find a copy of PSO+ recently. I know our Best Buy used to have a couple of copies, but apparently not anymore. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

digigram
Apr 24, 2005, 10:19 PM
The problem with production, is that it costs less to make 10,000 copies than it would to make one copy.

or rather, if they are going to pay to press 1 copy, it'd cost the same to make 10,000.

So, unless you want to pay $30 x 10,000, that will never happen. It'd be more accurate to say it costs about 1-5$ US to produce a game title, with box and manual. so maybe 5 x 10,000, still..... $50,000 for a new out of production copy of say, "xenogears". and thats stretching it. Anything above 1000 is rediculous.

I have one copy of FF 7,8,9. Had 2 copies of Xenogears, long time ago, lost them in the process of moving, oh I don't know, 6 times. I'd just give them to you if it weren't for the fact that i've held on to the originals since I bought/beat them, and would like to always keep them. They don't have a monetary value to me, just sentimental. I have seen 2 stores with xenogears since then. One for 49.99 USED at EB and one at Gamestop for 16.99 used.

I didn't buy either of them. due to this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8187303218&rd=1) and this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8187740036&rd=1)

Which I understand above stated lack of paypal and what not. But unless you don't have a credit card or debit card,won't be able to use it, though, you don't have to have a paypal account to use these payment methods, just go to paypal I believe and pay the account holder (in the above auctions case, gameliquidations).

as well. LUNAR silver story (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8186850178&rd=1)

Getintothegame
Apr 24, 2005, 10:38 PM
You know, I wish I could find the original PSO since my original got too scratched. I want another one for my collection, and on eBay, they cost a fortune.

digigram
Apr 25, 2005, 08:15 AM
Original phantasy star online costing a fortune on ebay?? I ordered a new copy of v1 and v2 for a total of 7.99, almost every time i have seen it on ebay, shipping has cost more than the game itself.

Mystil
Apr 25, 2005, 03:17 PM
On 2005-04-24 15:36, Blue-Hawk wrote:
For just $21, you too can own a pre-owned Lunar Silver Star Story, no case or directions, from the Gamestop by my job. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
Was looking for Xenogears as the website states they have one, but got ahold of a true rarity- Darkstalkers 3!

Yea i have Darkstalkers 3 as well.I KNOW if I lost that I want find another ever again.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Apr 25, 2005, 05:25 PM
On 2005-04-24 18:32, Ian-KunX wrote:
I tried to see if I could find a copy of PSO+ recently. I know our Best Buy used to have a couple of copies, but apparently not anymore. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Heh.
Knowing it would be out of stock soon after release, I ponied up and bought two copies of PLUS for GC at a local Toys R Us. Nobody else around here had any copies. No other store carried them.

Anything you can offer me?
PM me to talk more about it if you're interested.

Eanae
Apr 25, 2005, 07:24 PM
Not to long ago Walmart stocked huge quantities of FFVII, i think it was around the release of FFXI when fanboys were getting back into the FF spirit.