PDA

View Full Version : The L word

Eanae
Apr 26, 2005, 08:42 PM
Lately, I've started to get annoyed with the over use of the L word. What's that? Love. Walking down the halls of my highschool, it seems to be the only thing you hear. I love him, I love her, I love you, blah blah blah. Do they really mean it? How many people truely know what love is when they're in highschool? I can say I certainly don't know what love is, though I feel I have a better grasp of it than most people out there.

Typical High School Dating Scenerio:

Guy: Omg you're hot
Girl: Omg you're hot too
Guy: Let's date and call it love!
Girl: Ok, love you, talk to you later bye!

This isn't love, I don't even consider it romance. It's infatuation. It's senseless making out and sex. It just isn't love. The word is starting to lose it's meaning. It's so over used. Love isn't dating someone because they're good looking. Love is a feeling, and emotion, not soely attraction to looks. So please, keep you're PDA to yourself and off my locker, and double think that L word before you use it. Liking and loving is a completely different thing.

Women today also expect to hear that L word, but I don't think love is always nessisary in a relationship. I can deeply like someone, and be attracted to them and still not love them. I don't see that as being wrong, as love can grow in a relationship, that's the point of them. I don't know if i exactly believe in love at first sight, but I'm sure it's there. I'm not trying to tell everyone what love is, because I don't know myself. But as I already said, people need to stop and think what the true meaning of the word really is.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eanae on 2005-04-26 18:44 ]</font>

Maridia
Apr 26, 2005, 09:49 PM
I agree completely.

Problem is.. when you really DO love someone, and it's all you can do to not say it all the time because it's bubbling around inside your heart. ;P

And on another note, all that stuff about the word love.. Well, really, what do you expect? I love pie. I love pepsi. I SO love that show. I love this, I love that. The word love completely depends on the context its used in. I used to feel that it was only reserved for the kind of love that lasts for ages, but.. that just doesn't work. No, the retarded teenagers in highschool don't know what they're talking about (mostly, i'm sure there's the odd exception). But.. Well, it's just one of those issues that's hard to really be right about. Stupid words that can mean so many different kinds of something. -_-

Blue-Hawk
Apr 26, 2005, 10:46 PM
I, personally, don't believe that love exists. It's all lust and irrational actions.

Evil_Althena8
Apr 27, 2005, 01:15 AM
On 2005-04-26 20:46, Blue-Hawk wrote:
I, personally, don't believe that love exists. It's all lust and irrational actions.

it does. You've never been in love before. Therefore, as an outsider to love...you cannot possibly comprehend how it feels. Sorry if that was harsh sounding

Skorpius
Apr 27, 2005, 01:31 AM

Trust me, love exists. I was once in your position, looking at everyone else failing at it. But, I now know what Love is, and the feeling is true.

Daikarin
Apr 27, 2005, 11:09 AM

Well, that isn't love in the first place.

Eanae is right. I see people everyday that "love" each other, but don't give to their relation the depth they should. Guy looks at girl, girl looks at guy, guy asks her out, girl says yes, they're in love.

I read an article which an actual professor wrote. It's about how love is immature compared to friendship. He stated that, when babies are young, they feel the need to attach to someone to make them feel protected, feel whole. That would explain why many kids fall in love with their mother. When a baby grows into an adult, the feelings for love are the same, but the speech is more rational and complex.

It was the most depressing article I ever read, but maybe that's just me.

Scejntjynahl
Apr 27, 2005, 11:35 AM
Love? Usually when you have it, you dont know it. You just feel it. You can not comprehend it, nor control it. It goes against your judgement, it dictates your thoughts. And invades your dreams. So much so... that you do not even "need" to say it, your eyes will betray your feelings as you look upon the person that has captivated you so. And a simple gesture... a smile... well say more than the word "love" could ever do.

Love as a word has become as useless as "cute" reduntly used and abused. People using their "minds" to justify their use of that word. He is nice to me, she is hot, that means I must be in "LOVE"... right. Like an abstract feeling has anything to do with logical conclusions derived from some fantasy wish list of who your loved one is going to be.

You either feel it... or you don't. And when it comes to saying "I love you" to someone when in fact you are... trust me... they will know about your feelings by your actions...not your words.

Eanae
Apr 27, 2005, 12:18 PM
On 2005-04-26 23:15, Evil_Althena8 wrote:

it does. You've never been in love before. Therefore, as an outsider to love...you cannot possibly comprehend how it feels. Sorry if that was harsh sounding

I agree. Saying love doesn't exist is like saying the world is flat. Maybe to you this has happened repetitively, but hopefully one day you can feel this, and have someone return the feeling. I can say that in the sense of "love", I have truely only loved one person, and they turned and broke my heart when they were scared of their feelings and emotions and ended it. Love can be good, love can hurt. Love is emotion, a feeling. It exists.

AYY-BEE-CEE
Apr 27, 2005, 01:39 PM
Trouble is, the word 'love' can be applied to be many different types of relationships - in family, friends, infatuation (as you said), or a partnership where there is genuine love, which eventually develops into marriage I s'pose. Just because you have your mind set on what 'love' means, it doesn't mean the word can't be used in other contexts.... blame the English language, supposedly 'diverse' as it is...

AxelgearVII
Apr 27, 2005, 02:02 PM
Only someone who has never been in love says it doesnt exist. That or they make it out to be something mechanical by saying "Love isnt a feeling, its a decision you make." Yeah....OK.

It's senseless making out and sex.

Whats wrong with that? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif Its true though, sometimes we guys use that word to as the keys to turn a girls ignitions on if ya know what I mean. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Solstis
Apr 27, 2005, 02:38 PM
The line between feelings of "love" and infatuation is a thin one.

Only time can help you sort out which you're experiencing. From my guess, if that happy, light, and mushy sensation turns into a more mellow feeling of contentment... you're pretty close.

Shattered_weasel
Apr 27, 2005, 06:16 PM

I always thought of it like this.

If you can hate some one, then you can love someone.

ForceOfBrokenGlass
Apr 28, 2005, 01:41 AM

As much as this post has been quoted, I'm the only one here who agrees with this statement.

Graptakular83
Apr 28, 2005, 03:46 AM
I agree that what most people think is love, is mainly just physical attraction. After all, how many relationships stem from "youre hot, im hot, lets hang out and be hot together" and then stay together simply because they two people grow tolerant of each others personalities. Though im sure love can exist, but its very hard for it to be actual love and not just "lust and like", as stated above, that line is very thin.

Real love is an emotion, something inside both your body and mind, so when it starts messing with the way you think, feel, and generally live your life, thats when you know its real love.

RedSchwar
Apr 28, 2005, 04:00 AM
You're arguing more over terminology than anything else.

People don't necessairly mean "to have sex with" when they say the F word.

Same thing with love. If people agree that a word no longer has the meaning that it once did, then that's just tough. The word will probably suffer the same "watering-down" that many words have.

Nacht
Apr 28, 2005, 05:03 AM
Love does seem to have become something of a slang word. Same as the "f" word, it's basically an explenative.

As for "love" in relationships, some people are in love with the idea of beeing in love. I know one girl who would tell guys she loved them after about 2 days in a relationship. She just wanted to be loved back.

Evil_Althena8
Apr 29, 2005, 12:36 AM
On 2005-04-28 02:00, RedSchwar wrote:
You're arguing more over terminology than anything else.

People don't necessairly mean "to have sex with" when they say the F word.

Same thing with love. If people agree that a word no longer has the meaning that it once did, then that's just tough. The word will probably suffer the same "watering-down" that many words have.

and I agree. Love has many meanings. True Love...romantic love, is what we're attempting to discuss.

Also, Forceofbrokenglass and Blue_Hawk...why do you think true love doesn't exist? I'm just curious and want you to explain why you think it doesn't

Eanae
Apr 29, 2005, 09:33 PM
Also, Forceofbrokenglass and Blue_Hawk...why do you think true love doesn't exist? I'm just curious and want you to explain why you think it doesn't

I'm curious to your views as well.

HUcastShinobi
Apr 29, 2005, 09:58 PM
I fear the emotion at many times, for I felt it in a time I didn't realize was so time-consuming, which quickly resulted in a catastrophe to eat my life away. It is there, even with friends, you just care and get them through things, and the more you try and they realize it, the more you can see a connection of love, maybe not THAT way, but as in a friend way. I believe there are so many ways that the word is interpreted that it is harmful to those who haven't felt it or expressed it yet, because it will slam them in the long run, due to peer pressure and trying to meet their demands. It is a difficult thing for me, but I believe that I can get through this difficult time.

agenevil
Apr 30, 2005, 09:32 PM
Goth emo punks.

Joking.

I would say that true love is impossible to have in high school, but I know at least 2 couples who just seems so happy together and thrive off of each other...

Blitzkommando
May 1, 2005, 03:05 AM
Love is a word that should be more than one. Many languages have multiple words for 'love', depending on what type it is. A word for true love between two persons, a word for a love of an inanimate object (like food), and a love for a game, action, etc. like a love of playing football. English has these words too, but oftentimes people don't use them. Another word that is misused is lust. Not so much in that it is used for too many, but used for too few contexts. Lust can describe a great obsession of many things, not just sex. One can lust for money, for power, for food.

DuoEpitafhMaxwell
May 1, 2005, 03:50 PM
Love is the greatest power on this sphear.

The Power of Heaven is Mercy.

The power of Hell is Conviction

But we of the earth are blessed witht the power of Love

Solstis
May 1, 2005, 03:57 PM
On 2005-05-01 13:50, DuoEpitafhMaxwell wrote:
Love is the greatest power on this sphear.

The Power of Heaven is Mercy.

The power of Hell is Conviction

But we of the earth are blessed witht the power of Love

I think that you've got this all wrong.

The power of Heaven is Cheese.

The power of Hell is MSG.

Earth is blessed with the ability to esoterically be lost in literarily and media produced allusions.

DuoEpitafhMaxwell
May 1, 2005, 04:02 PM
Just had to ruin it for everyone else, didn't you?

Cheese? What's so great about Cheese?

What does Monosodium Glutamate have to do with anything related to Hell?

Wyndham
May 2, 2005, 04:19 AM
On 2005-05-01 14:02, DuoEpitafhMaxwell wrote:

it's bad for you?

Sagasu
May 2, 2005, 05:38 AM
People blindly devote themselves to one another all the time for the most elemental reasons. Lust, ideals long preached to them in fairy tales, jealousy, whatever is convienient.

It is those who make out love to be something more than this that annoy me.

It would seem that love is a shorter way to tell someone that you are mad with a number of emotions for them. Yet you would judge those who say they 'love' for their seemingly flimsy reasons, since they arent 'deep' enough and are so shallow, and basic.

Yet when you see that man or woman, when you're with them long enough that it finally hits you. The last thing you will look at are the reasons, just harboring on the feeling.

Strong emotional ties are easily established, though time clearly teaches us the difference between loving someone and being 'in' love with someone.

Etc/meh/whatever.

Ness
May 2, 2005, 06:03 AM
Love is such a relative term, how can one person judge what is and isn't love?

navci
May 2, 2005, 11:42 AM
On 2005-04-27 16:16, Shattered_weasel wrote:

Maybe. Maybe not. It kinda sorta feels like the flip side of the coin. But sometimes people doesn't necessarily know how to flip that side to focus on positive instead of the negatives.

Ya know. I used to think saying that you love someone is a huge deal. Telling someone straight in the eye about you loving this someone is a huge emotional event that deserved to be blogged. But really, I have been in situations that there are floods and floods of emotions that I am feeling, however, no words is powerful enough to express them.

Then I proceed to rub my face on person's arm like a puppy. It works better than anything.

A word is just a word. Whether or not you make a huge deal out of it I guess, really is the only way it makes a difference.

DuoEpitafhMaxwell
May 2, 2005, 03:51 PM
On 2005-05-02 02:19, Oran1324 wrote:

On 2005-05-01 14:02, DuoEpitafhMaxwell wrote:

it's bad for you?

Actually, it's not totally bad for you, you need some of it, it's just easy to get too much of it.

Daikarin
May 2, 2005, 06:07 PM
On 2005-05-02 09:42, navinator wrote:

On 2005-04-27 16:16, Shattered_weasel wrote:

Maybe. Maybe not. It kinda sorta feels like the flip side of the coin. But sometimes people doesn't necessarily know how to flip that side to focus on positive instead of the negatives.

Ya know. I used to think saying that you love someone is a huge deal. Telling someone straight in the eye about you loving this someone is a huge emotional event that deserved to be blogged. But really, I have been in situations that there are floods and floods of emotions that I am feeling, however, no words is powerful enough to express them.

Then I proceed to rub my face on person's arm like a puppy. It works better than anything.

A word is just a word. Whether or not you make a huge deal out of it I guess, really is the only way it makes a difference.

Yeah. So, aside from the fact that nowadays, almost anyone is living up to the true meaning of "Love", even if we found a couple who was, the word wouldn't be enough by itself to describe their bond.

Case closed, everybody go home.

Aurra
May 2, 2005, 10:56 PM
I think we can all agree that the answer is 42.

Eanae
May 3, 2005, 07:18 PM
On 2005-05-02 04:03, Ness wrote:

I personally weren't trying to say what love is, but I do have an opinion on what it isn't which is what the basis of the rant is.

Ness
May 3, 2005, 08:34 PM
On 2005-05-03 17:18, Eanae wrote:

I personally weren't trying to say what love is, but I do have an opinion on what it isn't which is what the basis of the rant is.

Like I said, how can one person judge was is or isn't love for the general public. Sure you may not see it as love and I may not see it as love, but who says that they don't? Love is only as deep (or as shallow) as the people who engage in it. Of course, by saying that last sentence, I made myself look like a hypocrite. Oh well.

WashuSaotome
May 3, 2005, 09:15 PM
On 2005-05-02 20:56, Aurra wrote:
I think we can all agree that the answer is 42.

That's the spirit!

This love stuff is a very touchy subject.

Eanae
May 4, 2005, 08:26 PM
On 2005-05-03 18:34, Ness wrote:

On 2005-05-03 17:18, Eanae wrote:

Like I said, how can one person judge was is or isn't love for the general public. Sure you may not see it as love and I may not see it as love, but who says that they don't? Love is only as deep (or as shallow) as the people who engage in it. Of course, by saying that last sentence, I made myself look like a hypocrite. Oh well.

I see your point, and though yeah it kind of is hypocritical, it still has it point.