PDA

View Full Version : A rant about 'borderline' terms

agenevil
Apr 30, 2005, 09:51 PM
Ok, folks, if you aren't secure about your sexuality and/or gender, you don't deserve to have genitalia in the first place.

What else can be said? It's a plague that just spreads from around 5th grade on.

I don't care if anybody says "That's gay" because I know it is most likely out of habit (shit, even I say it), almost-but-not-really like calling jewish people Jews or calling Japanese people Japs (normally on the internet, but it's not fucking world war two anymore, people, quit being so fucking uptight about it if people don't abbreviate ONE FUCKING TERM RIGHT!)

And finally, 'isn't that so retarded'? Once again, a lot of people say it out of habit. It's not like they don't fucking have sympathy for the disabled, it's just a word, so shut your fuckin' mouth before you go bitching to somebody simply trying to converse!

Does anyone here feel the same way? Or am I just shallow? Did I make it clear enough what I meant?

Ness
Apr 30, 2005, 09:54 PM
Some people look for reasons to be offended, others look for reasons to be offensive. Assholes, all of them!

Solstis
Apr 30, 2005, 10:15 PM
Dude, this rant is gay AND retarted.

http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Yeah, I gotcha.

astuarlen
Apr 30, 2005, 10:23 PM
On 2005-04-30 19:51, agenevil wrote:
almost-but-not-really like calling jewish people Jews

Semi-OT: Where do people get the idea that "Jews" is some sort of religious or ethnic slur? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

agenevil
May 1, 2005, 12:12 AM
On 2005-04-30 20:23, astuarlen wrote:

On 2005-04-30 19:51, agenevil wrote:
almost-but-not-really like calling jewish people Jews

Semi-OT: Where do people get the idea that "Jews" is some sort of religious or ethnic slur? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Mixfortune
May 1, 2005, 12:25 AM
I don't think it's so much that it's potentially offensive.

It's more like "you should put more thought into things than just resorting to a potentially offensive remark".

The point is, even if people are not particularly offended by a specific term, these things can be easily abused.

Sure I've said them here and there, not like it's needed, more like an exclamation and such. But really, on the internet or on a forum, people really should put a bit more thought into their posts and such instead of using certain terms for lack of better writing. If you're in an argument or discussion, spouting overused, not well thought out terms isn't going to help you convince others, not by a long shot.

Not saying we need to all be politically correct or something, but really, how "retarded" is it to see an argument full of "gay" insults every other word? Especially when you know that neither is true.

And people know they're being potentially offensive, except maybe in the case of shortening the word Japanese, yet still do it, so what is it they're trying to do? It's hardly accidental... you won't see someone typing up "you're a gay retarded slut" then turning around claiming they didn't know some might think that offensive. Seriously.

Guntz348
May 1, 2005, 02:32 AM
I still say the single greatest and most offensive phrase ever created is "you people". It just works on so many different levels. =D

Rianna_Type1
May 1, 2005, 03:02 AM
You're a gay douche who probly has sex with his Xbox!!! Go play your shitty Galo 2 with the other gays up in the Gayzor Mountains where everyone is gay and likes M$.

lol (http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2004-11-03&res=l).

Wyndham
May 1, 2005, 03:14 AM
On 2005-05-01 01:02, Rianna_Type1 wrote:
who probly has sex with his Xbox!!!

eww... an xbox.. *throws up*

I get sick of these terms too though. my brother uses them all the time.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Oran1324 on 2005-05-01 01:16 ]</font>

Hrith
May 1, 2005, 11:07 AM
I'd rather someone used "motherfucker" or "bastard" than those words.

It's awkward for me because "jap" and "homo" are politically correct words in France, and when I used to use them, people would tell me "why did you call him that?" or such >_>

But I really resent use of "gay" or any other slur that bashes sexual orientation, cultures, ethnicities, etc. So I disagree with the original poster.

agenevil
May 1, 2005, 02:17 PM
Ok, so it wasn't clear enough...

Using it intentionally for offensive purposes (it is obvious when it happens) is by no means necesary, but some people just have that habit. It's not like they are bashing gays or handicaps, to them its just an adjective that slips out.

Exactly what I'm ranting about is when people, whether it be on the internet or in real life, go berserk on someone when they really weren't trying to offend anybody...

Daikarin
May 1, 2005, 02:24 PM
You're basically ranting about people's lack of respect, right?

Solstis
May 1, 2005, 03:14 PM
On 2005-05-01 12:24, Even_Jin wrote:
You're basically ranting about people's lack of respect, right?

Seems to be more about uptight people that complain about other's supposed lack of respect.

DuoEpitafhMaxwell
May 1, 2005, 03:17 PM
I'm not offended by it, and I am gay, so I suppose people are just assholes.

It's just out of habit like was said, it doesn't really mean anything.

Then again, I'm not offended by much, so I probably can't give an unbaised opinoin.

Hmm, opinion, Onion, Yum...