PDA

View Full Version : THEY KILLED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TrekkiesUnite
May 8, 2005, 09:33 AM
Ok, yesterday I was watching Return of the Jedi special edition cuz I hadn't seen it yet. for the most part it was pretty good but I still liked the original better. but the thing that makes me hate it is that they KILLED THE ENDING! the original versions ending all took place on the ewok planet and had this happy festival music with ewoks singing and what not that made you feel it's over, but it's a good thing and just gave you this good overall feeling. well the special edition killed this feeling, first thing I didn't like is it showed tatooine, landos sky city, CORASANT!, and one other planet i don't remember. the reason I don't like this is becuase one in the original version and when special edition came out we didn't know anything about corasnt and that it even existed so for those who didnt see episode one is going WTF at this point. the other reason I hate the showing of all the other planets celebrating is how the hell do they know the empire has just fallen? news travels fast but not that fast so that part just seemed worthless to me, and to put this BS in then cut out an important part and thats where luke cremates his father. HELLO why cut that out? and then there was the whole thing with the shitty sad kinda inspirational music it replaced the ewok music with. so in conclusion Special Edition Return of the Jedi sucks cuz they killed the ending thus killing the rest of the movie.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TrekkiesUnite on 2005-05-08 11:17 ]</font>

Deathscythealpha
May 8, 2005, 09:46 AM
Full stops please.

Coruscent has been part of Star Wars mythos for years, and im sure that it was mentioned as the Empires capital city at least once during the films. Adding in those scenes was to show that the whole Universe had been effected by the Empires fall, not just the Ewok planet. And in a universe where ships can travel at the speed of light im sure theyve got communication devices that they can call up the other planets with.

Now adding the whiny episode 2 kid to the end of the film on the DVD ruined it for me.

TrekkiesUnite
May 8, 2005, 10:00 AM
not once in the original movies did they ever show or mention corasant, it wasn't revealed until episode one.

but the thing that really annoyed me was that they changed the music.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TrekkiesUnite on 2005-05-08 08:01 ]</font>

Solstis
May 8, 2005, 10:02 AM
On 2005-05-08 08:00, TrekkiesUnite wrote:
not once in the original movies did they ever show or mention corasant, it wasn't revealed until episode one.

but the thing that really annoyed me was that they changed the music.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TrekkiesUnite on 2005-05-08 08:01 ]</font>

It was still considered "canon" if you've ever read the novels/played any of the games (not sure if it was ever in the games).

A lot of novels focus on that massive city.

TrekkiesUnite
May 8, 2005, 10:32 AM
well the books in my mind I don't really include in the story becuase the true star wars story are the 6 movies the books(unless written by george lucas) are really just fan fictions of what oen person wanted to happen.

but again the thing that really annoyed me was they changed the music and killed the overall feeling the ending had.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TrekkiesUnite on 2005-05-08 08:33 ]</font>

Ochre
May 8, 2005, 12:01 PM
Well, from what I recall, the books are indeed considered part of the universe and official. There was some announcement way back when they first started writing Star War novels that they would indeed be official additions to the universe. I think they have to be run by Lucasfilm beforehand though....not sure about that however.

Nevermind the fact that there's so many of them, I think it's a good way to expand and explain the SW universe without making more movies.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ochre on 2005-05-08 10:02 ]</font>

Outrider
May 8, 2005, 12:32 PM
Star Wars canon works on a multi-tiered system.

The first tier is the movies. Period. What they say is the case.

The second tier is usually the books, unless, as in some cases, something else overrides them. (For instance, Shadows of the Empire the game is actually canon in some regards instead of the book, and vice-versa. I believe a few more of the games are at this same level of canon.) But anyway, these are the basis for the "Expanded Universe," which is all the stuff that occurs outside the movies. These do have to get cleared on some level, and they are considered Star Wars canon. Of course, if the movies override the books or anything else in any way, then what the movie shows is then canon. (Force mirrors and cloning machines? Pfft.)

The tiers sort of trickle down into smaller and smaller groups from here on out, as some of the comics don't really make too much of a splash on the series and whatnot.

But yeah, anyway, Coruscant has always been part of the Star Wars mythos.

Here (http://www.starwars.com/databank/location/coruscant/?id=bts) is a link to the Star Wars Databank where it explains the history of Coruscant. In brief: it was originally going to show up in A New Hope, but they couldn't fit it, and then the same thing happened in Return of the Jedi, but Lucas felt they couldn't make the city well enough to warrant including it. Only the name Coruscant originated in the book. The actual city has been around since the start.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Outrider on 2005-05-08 12:57 ]</font>

Deathscythealpha
May 8, 2005, 06:03 PM
On 2005-05-08 08:02, Solstis wrote:

It was still considered "canon" if you've ever read the novels/played any of the games (not sure if it was ever in the games).

Dark Forces had a massive level set in the city. Had some interesting level design, but also lots of horrible drops off of huge skyscrapers.

Outrider
May 8, 2005, 06:11 PM
On 2005-05-08 16:03, Deathscythealpha wrote:

On 2005-05-08 08:02, Solstis wrote:

Dark Forces had a massive level set in the city. Had some interesting level design, but also lots of horrible drops off of huge skyscrapers.

Just like Coruscant in Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, one of the sequels to Dark Forces.

Why is it whenever Kyle Katarn visits Coruscant, he can't help but fall down pits?

Deathscythealpha
May 9, 2005, 07:27 PM
On 2005-05-08 16:11, Outrider wrote:
Just like Coruscant in Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, one of the sequels to Dark Forces.

Why is it whenever Kyle Katarn visits Coruscant, he can't help but fall down pits?

I think he's just got a fetish for falling into pits, as he does the same on the Ice Level of Dark Forces and on god knows how many levels in JK2. It was fun to chuck the Stormtroopers into the pits on the Star Destroyer though.