PDA

View Full Version : It's that time again....

Ness
May 19, 2005, 04:32 PM
E3 arrives and the new consoles are demoed. Naturally, eveyone rushes to infor everyone else aobut the new consoles by posting screens, quoting magazines, listing features, and linking to offical sites. People converse and express their excitement. All is well and good until they come along.

Yep, fanboys. They can turn a decent conversation into a pointless fight before you can say "Mario." I'm sure everyon here knows the fanboy:

-Usually not out of middle school.

-Spends most of this time looking up or talkign aobut videogames (specifically the ones on a certain console).

-Constantly praises his favorite console.

-Prays for the failure of the rival concoles, never taking into account that competition is good.

-Harrasses Gamestop clerks constantly because they do not spread the "truth" (rumors) about a certain console and accuse them of favortism.

-Blatantly hypocritical.

-Hates a game when it's on another console, but loves it as soon as it is released on his console.

-Accuses you of being a fanboy when try to propose any form of rational thought or disagree with him.

-Stupid.

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with these guys? My friends and I were at Gamestop discussing the previews of the next gen consoles and which one we thought we would liek to buy. I mentioned something about not being impressed with my PS2 and all of a sudden this little kid (about 12) arrives to, in his words, "knock some sense into my head."

He went on for ten straight minutes spouting facts (rumors he learned on the IGN forums, most of which had already been proven false) and telling me how stupid I was. He would have gone on for days, but the clerk there told him calm down. I then smiled and explained to him why competetition is good and what the difference between a fact and an opinion were. Then I told him to come back and talk to me when he learned the difference between rumors and facts. The six of us that were currently in the store (the clerk, two other people, my two friends, and myself) started laughing.

By this point he looked like he was about to cry, but he attempted one last time to save his dignity. He mentioned something about the PS3 and said that it was goign to beat the other consoles. Then I told him that that rumor was proven to be false. He countered with a "yeah right!" Then the clerk pulled out a magazine and said, "Sorry, kid, but it says right here that the rumor is false."

Everyone boomed in laugther and a few "owned"s were shouted. He the started yelling at us in his high pitched voice telling us that we were all PS3 haters and were going to hell. my firend interrupted him and said, "We'll listen to you once you hit puberty."

He ran out the door and we could see him through the window wiping his tears.

Humans - 1 fanboys - 0.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ness on 2005-05-19 16:33 ]</font>

Tact
May 19, 2005, 05:22 PM
Strangely, that reminds me of IRC. The cast goes like this:

Actor-Part

Ness-Not Shuri, but close

Friend of Ness-Some other IRC operator

Clerk-Other operator

Others-People who sit in their chairs and laugh their asses off as the n00b gets owned

Fanboy-n00b

HUcastShinobi
May 19, 2005, 05:32 PM
I need some of those e3 mags... And i need to shut down those damn psp and ps3 fanboys. and change middle school to high school, cause i got gamecube and ds bashers all over the place. they also say japan sucks after giving product sales statistics...

Cannibal-Snowman
May 19, 2005, 05:42 PM
God, there are so many fanboys at my school. They all hate Nintendo. One of them always brings her PSP to school (which she's not supposed to be doing), and then tells everybody how it's so much better than the DS. Later, I ask these people about the DS, and what do I get:

"The DS sucks!"
"Two screens. So what?"
"The PSP is better!"

I then proceed to ask them if they've played it. Not a single person has touched it (for at least an hour). They just listen to somebody else's opinion and then make it their own.

The world would be such a nicer place if people actually had the fucking brains to form an opinion of their own, and not just get their opinion from somebody else. It would also be nicer if people didn't shove their opinions down each other's throats, too.

Fucking fanboys.

Dek
May 19, 2005, 05:50 PM
It's not just games. It's also MP3 players as well http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

But yes, I am sick of fanboys. I was close to strangling a child this one time (it was a PS2 fanboy, obviously). He just wouldn't stop yelling and screaming at me (I was calm this entire time). The manager then pulled the child aside, got his home phone number out of him, and called the parents saying that the child was harassing other customers...

Anyhoo, the fanboy era truely needs to stop. If anything, the consoles should have ratings just so the kids cant buy them

digigram
May 19, 2005, 06:10 PM
While I believe your intentions are good ness.. by making this rant, you've asked for the subject at hand to invade the thread. add a couple more traits to the definition.

- is stubborn
- will deny 'protecting' the system they are being fanboyish about.

there. all better.

And seriously HUcast, need I point out where you fall into these traits? Someone can simply say the letters P.S.P and you have seizures while going off on how much "______" system is so much better and the psp/ps2/sony/________ sucks. give me a break.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: digigram on 2005-05-19 16:15 ]</font>

Ness
May 19, 2005, 06:28 PM
On 2005-05-19 15:50, Arthas_Zero wrote:
It's not just games. It's also MP3 players as well http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Oh heck yes! I remember going to Cnet to look at MP3 player reviews and all the comments were ipod users vs. everyone flamewars.

xxFLOWxx
May 19, 2005, 06:28 PM
Reminds me when i was at the Y one time.

I was hangin with a bunch of friends,after our activities,and someone pulls out a magazine about the consoles and how good they are.The G-cube beat the Xbox,beat the PS2(obviously).Then someone pulls out a bunch of shit."The PS2 is the best!Best graphics(wtf?Ass.),best games(barely,bitch),and best style(a black rectangle?)."Then we get into a heated argument,constantly spamming facts.Us-true good facts about cube and box,him-shit about PS2.Ends up us kicking his ass in it and us getting in deep shit for it.

Consequential and old,but priceless nonetheless. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Ness
May 19, 2005, 06:35 PM
Then there are those people who try to make you prvoe yourself. I remember once saying that I liked Xbox better than Gamecube and this kid told me to name ten Xbox only games that were good. So I did and with every game he had a reason why it sucked. I said it was just an opinion and he called me a fanboy.

Skorpius
May 19, 2005, 06:37 PM
Is there such things as an Anti-System fanboy? I would be classified as an Anti-Sony fanboy. >_>

digigram
May 19, 2005, 06:45 PM
you might have just coined the term. though I think "fanboy" applies to someone generally trying to tell someone else how to play their games.

such as if you liked, i don't know... Xbox, or a DS. Most defined fanboys would tell you you were stupid because you liked the xbox or DS. Same applies for same situation, only stating the reason why you suck for liking said system, is that XXXX is better.

PhotonDrop
May 19, 2005, 06:50 PM
I like the fanboys who pretend to be important and successful in life on forums while their attitude and way of defending their opinion clearly says they're not even in the double digits(not directed to anyone in here)

Tact
May 19, 2005, 06:59 PM
On 2005-05-19 16:50, PhotonDrop wrote:
I like the fanboys who pretend to be important and successful in life on forums while their attitude and way of defending their opinion clearly says they're not even in the double digits(not directed to anyone in here)

IQ, or age, or both?

PhotonDrop
May 19, 2005, 07:01 PM
both I suppose

Ness
May 19, 2005, 10:34 PM
I just can't see why they act the way they do. What do they have to gain?

Solstis
May 19, 2005, 10:44 PM
On 2005-05-19 20:34, Ness wrote:

What? They have their right to be fanboys, just as drugs users should. Doesn't matter that they're basically making themselves look like fools.

Ness
May 19, 2005, 10:51 PM
On 2005-05-19 20:44, Solstis wrote:

What? They have their right to be fanboys, just as drugs users should. Doesn't matter that they're basically making themselves look like fools.

Hey now don't take any bitterness you may have aquired in one to all the others, that's bad culture. Just because we are on opposing sides in one thread doesn't mean we can't be friends.

I agree with you. They definitely do have the right, but I don't see why they would want to make fools out of themselves.

Solstis
May 19, 2005, 10:57 PM
On 2005-05-19 20:51, Ness wrote:

Hey now don't take any bitterness you may have aquired in one to all the others, that's bad culture. Just because we are on opposing sides in one thread doesn't mean we can't be friends.

I agree with you. They definitely do have the right, but I don't see why they would want to make fools out of themselves.

If you want to believe that I'm bitter, go ahead.

Apparently, they have nothing better to do than prance around the Internet, spreading stupidity as if it was out of style. Almost as bad as politics.

digigram
May 19, 2005, 11:03 PM
I have some theories regarding that question. Not only have I met people that do this, but in most tech related subjects, one of my step brothers does it quite frequently.... the know it all syndrome.

- will not take no for an answer
- always has to be right, even if facts aren't available.
- with press release in hand, will still not believe specifications on anything...(be it a console, cisco server, commercial wireless AP, video capture card, regional video format, etc.)
- will argue with you, in person, for hours on end, even an hour or so after the arguement has ceased to be (goes away trying to find some thread of truth or evidence they might be right, only to come back and be made a fool of again).
- this is the part I don't understand.. comes back for more on every other subject they feel they must know everything about, and you must know they know.

First hand physical experience with a rare variation of fanboy... ie: the knowitall.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: digigram on 2005-05-19 21:05 ]</font>

Ness
May 19, 2005, 11:19 PM
On 2005-05-19 20:57, Solstis wrote:
Apparently, they have nothing better to do than prance around the Internet, spreading stupidity as if it was out of style. Almost as bad as politics.

That's witty prhase, I like that.

@digiram

I've met people like that before.

Orange_Coconut
May 20, 2005, 12:53 AM
On 2005-05-19 20:57, Solstis wrote:

If you want to believe that I'm bitter, go ahead.

http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

You make them sound like some kind of demented group of faeries. That gave me a laugh. ^ Greatest description ever.

As for my opinion. Fanboys are around everywhere, they can be perfectly nice/normal people too.. Until you bring up the subject of their fanboy-ism. Yeah, I'm tired :/

navci
May 20, 2005, 01:52 AM
OMG YOU ARE ALL GOING TO HELL FOR DISLIKING FANBOYS!

Don't you realize? Fanboys are our future!
Console fanboys, movie fanboys, people fanboys, political fanboys, etc, etc.

They need to feel that they belong to a majority. Because they are insecure and need to feel that they belong.

maybe also a bigger penis

zero12410
May 20, 2005, 04:29 AM
sony sucks - for making a console that breaks so easyly

microsoft sucks - for macking a console foccused only on the western market

nintendo sucks - for not having an online strategy

and to piss every one off ( so there's no one left out )
Star Wars and Star Trek both suck http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Wyndham
May 20, 2005, 05:16 AM
On 2005-05-20 02:29, zero12410 would have wrote if he were Oran wrote:
sony sucks - for making a console that breaks so easily,

microsoft sucks - for macking a console foccused only on the western market, is too heavy, has controllers that were first made too big, is butt ugly, its good games were horribly overrated, had the dvd player feature be expensive

nintendo sucks - for not having an online strategy, has the console's main colour be purple, i mean, whhy PURPLE? it's INSaNE

and to piss every one off ( so there's no one left out )
Star Wars and Star Trek both suck to a certain extent, but i love fluffy bunnies. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

there, I explained my logic on the situation well enough.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Oran1324 on 2005-05-20 03:44 ]</font>

Ness
May 20, 2005, 07:12 AM
Here's another one of my fanboy stories:

This one took place at a different gamestop.

I was alone this time, but I saw somone I knew in the store so I walked up and started talking to them. We were talking about which consoles we liked best and I mentioned that I liked my Xbox because it had the most exciting games. All of a sudden I hear this "WHAT THE FUCK??? XBOX SUCKS AND YOU ARE ON CRACK!!"

We just ignored him and walked off. This seemed to stop him for a bit, but then he followed us. Kept talking aobut how much Xbox sucked until my friend finally told him about the difference between facts and opinions.

Then he says," But they are facts. All the gaming magazines give Xbox games lower ratings than all the others."

"What about Halo?" I asked.

"That's jsut an exception. All the other games suck and the magazines have proof of it!"

"So just because a magazine says its bad automatically means that it is?" I asked.

"Duh!"

"You have a very shallow mind."

His smile litterally flipped upside down. He paused for a while and then said,"I'm not shallow, I'm just using facts!"

"Since when were magazine ratings facts? They are just opinions on paper."

"Nuh-uh! Magazine ratings are facts, otherwise they wouldn't be published!"
This kid was obviously just trying to avoid admitting he was wrong (I hope). Anyway I decided to play along. I looked at him and said, "So if I put in a magazine that you were a loser, it would be a fact because it's in a magazine and magazines never lie."

The kid didn't even reply, he just ran off.

humans - 2 fanboys - 0

Dek
May 20, 2005, 07:30 AM
On 2005-05-20 05:12, Ness wrote:
"So if I put in a magazine that you were a loser, it would be a fact because it's in a magazine and magazines never lie."

The kid didn't even reply, he just ran off.

humans - 2 fanboys - 0

http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif Brilliant!

Dangerous55
May 20, 2005, 01:19 PM
Ness I am having a hard time believing some random dude is following you around yelling obscenities about you and video game systems.

It's just weird.

Ness
May 20, 2005, 01:26 PM
On 2005-05-20 11:19, Dangerous55 wrote:
Ness I am having a hard time believing some random dude is following you around yelling obscenities about you and video game systems.

It's just weird.

It's not the same kid every time, silly.

Dangerous55
May 20, 2005, 02:35 PM
On 2005-05-20 11:26, Ness wrote:

It's not the same kid every time, silly.

I'm having a hard time believing anyone would do that. The first story sounds completely made up.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dangerous55 on 2005-05-20 12:36 ]</font>

Ness
May 20, 2005, 02:58 PM
Some of the people over here where I live aren't the sharpest tools in the shed. Those were the only two times it's happened to me, thankfully.

geewj
May 20, 2005, 06:38 PM
On 2005-05-19 20:51, Ness wrote:

It's not bitterness, it's a comparison to show your confilicting thought processes.

Ness
May 20, 2005, 08:04 PM
Why is my thought process conflicting?

Ness
May 21, 2005, 07:55 AM
So does anyone else have any stories?

Daikarin
May 21, 2005, 11:25 AM
I can't even begin to remember when I had to put up with anti-Dreamcast fanboys.

Some would even print a list of technical features for each console, to tell me how the Dreamcast was lower than the PS2. But, some months later, if someone did the same to them with the Xbox, they would have a taste of their own medicine.

And then some would start arguing about its design, at the VMU, at the gamepad, saying it looked noobish. One guy even told me he preferred his PS2 because it was "Dark-colored, and looked better than the DC in all visual aspects".

Ness, about your first story, next time just tell him Santa Claus doesn't exist right from the start, and you would have avoided all that. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

digigram
May 21, 2005, 12:16 PM
ness.. I could make up a compiled history of experiences I have had with peope regarding the systems I own.

3 people. at once. Telling me in order.....

me. "I'm getting this Ps2 game because it's on sale"
1. "Ps2 fucking sucks you should get an xbox"
me. "I have an xbox, have had an xbox the same amount of time as I had a ps2"
2. "xbox sucks, gamecube is so much better than xbox"
me. "I have a gamecube, bought one before I had an xbox"
3. "Dreamcast owns all the current systems, fuck sony for screwing sega out of making consoles"
me "I have had a dreamcast since It came out, I love my dreamcast"
1. "fuck you dreamcast fanboy, you're just sore that the dreamcast sucks and you know it.
3. "Eat my shit you bitch, Ps2 and xbox games are horrible, dreamcast looks way better"
2. "Both of you suck, gamecube is funner.

me. " * stands there holding mobile light force 2 for ps2 in my hand* "

1-2-3 *beat each other to death*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: digigram on 2005-05-21 10:18 ]</font>

agenevil
May 21, 2005, 05:23 PM
Ugh. I hate faux fanboys.

People like Blake Wolfe.

People who are total dicks for 5 minutes until you tell them they are wrong and why, then they agree with you.

That same step then repeats until their sheep ass comes back full circle to you.

Jive18
May 21, 2005, 07:09 PM
I'm feel guilty to admit that I once had a few friends who were complete and utter ass's when it came to discussing systems. I remember when I first got my Gamecube. It was so amazing and awe-inspiring. I told a few of my friends who had PS2's that I thought gamecube really was a great sysytem, and out of no where:
"Whatever, PS2 is amazing"
"Fuck Gamecube"
"Every game for PS2 is great, unlike Gamecube"

I didn't no how to respond at the time because it was unbelievable to hear them just randomly insulting a system they had never played. Ever since then, I've been "anti-fanboy" against Sony.

HUcastShinobi
May 21, 2005, 08:40 PM
I can't even state recognision of the system im trying to prove bad, because the fanboys ram my weapon down my throat, even though i hadent even mentioned it... and they say that its better, not even saying why, so it proves their point to be in other words, one-sided...

HAYABUSA-FMW-
May 21, 2005, 11:59 PM
On 2005-05-21 10:16, digigram wrote:
ness.. I could make up a compiled history of experiences I have had with peope regarding the systems I own.

I completely agree. My life's story concerning games is extremely far out there. Games have been a major part of my upbringing. For others, they're (possibly) just posers trying to fit in with the cool crowd. How easily they forget that gaming was not always cool.

I can remember at age 5 playing an uncle's NES with a collection of like 30 or so games.

I can remember my brother getting punished by my father after a NES game he picked out, and thought was two player, was not.

I can remember my dad dropping $70+ at the slick gaming store in the mall the day of Street Fighter 2 SNES's release.

I can remember my grandfather telling my father to go to sleep when he was visiting us; my dad was up at 3 AM playing Super Mario Bros. 3, in his own house. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Searching new EGM's 10 years ago for info about the new DBZ games being released in Japan on the Super Famicom.

Going to San Francisco's Japan town and watching two teenagers sit at the brand new PS1 set up they had in a little junk shop, mashing away at eachother in Battle Arena Toshinden, before Playstation came out in the US.

Etc. etc.

I've played and amassed a collection(my parents got me started and enabled me, yes, but I've moved on to purchase countless other systems and games for them), while not bad, I know is not even a 10th of many many other gamers out there. Such as the one guy who had to sell his collection for a measly $12,000 on eBay due to money problems, and EGM editors saying they wouldn't give up their game collections for anything in the world/priceless.

However, I'm not the type who remembers buying Pong, watching the crash in 1983, etc.

But I still want to rip people's heads off when they pronounce Ryu's(of Street Fighter) name wrong and don't care what the real pronounciation is (if I tell them), or after beating Kingdom Hearts-these lil punk kids' favorite game- kids attempt to say the Japanese names in the credits and laugh/mock how the names "are stupid and who would have a name like that."

Now I must go read my latest Time Magazine and laugh at how they call the new Nintendo system(a "Nintendo whatever it's called"). This is the first time I've purchased this magazine, and I know the restraints due to press/printing time, but the omission of the name of the system is clearly hilarious. They simply have not been paying attention at all. Anyone with even a slight interest in gaming has known about the new Nintendo system being "codenamed the Revolution" for quite some time now. I find it strange to see this in a article about the XBOX 360.

Newdroid
May 22, 2005, 03:25 PM
I just came from the 8th grade(on summer vacation http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif ) The other boys at my school made me sick on how they even judged my character just because I bought a gamecube. "Gamecube sucks!" "Thats for pre-schoolers" ! That made me sooooo sick. I just told them just beacause the Cube doesn't feature horse-steroid-injected-lunatics goring-each-other-with-guns-and-knives-while-having sex-at-the-same-time doesn't mean it's bad.PSO is one REALLY good reason to get a cube BTW.

PS: No offense Playstation lovers! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Blitzkommando
May 22, 2005, 05:43 PM
The problem isn't so much people having preference, it is that people get violently protective of what they have spent hundreds of dollars on. I myself have long loved the Nintendo systems over their competators. However, I still have the Xbox, PS2, DC... and the list goes on. I enjoy them all. What I hate are the people (not just kids) who violently defend their purchase. It is quite the same thing as how people support sports teams, or car manufacturers, or... you name it. It is all the same thing. They just absolutely must have the best of the best, whether true or no. Listen to the possessive pronouns used, "MY PS2 is better than YOUR GC/Xbox/DC/whatever". If anything it is a sign of immaturity and possible mental disorder if they continue on a tyrade/crusade on things as trivial as game systems.

Just imagine if they put all that thought and energy in, say, trying to help a cause they believe in. We would have a very different world indeed.