PDA

View Full Version : Why do you people sleep!?

Arislan
Jun 2, 2005, 11:32 AM
I mean, come on, it's now only 0:32, and there hasn't been a post cept in FKL for about a half hour. You're here soley for my entertainment, now wake up and post, dammit!

Mixfortune
Jun 2, 2005, 11:39 AM
I do believe I can see how this'll turn out.
Anyways... while technically I didn't sleep tonight, I wasn't around here for that part of time. I can only post so much!

Sef
Jun 2, 2005, 11:40 AM
Sorry. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

navci
Jun 2, 2005, 11:41 AM
We can't all be freaks like mix.

Arislan
Jun 2, 2005, 12:24 PM
Freaks like Mix take a manner of training that none of us can hope to aspire to, much less actually initiate. It's only through random permutations that someone like Mix can come into being.

Sagasu
Jun 2, 2005, 12:51 PM
If I'm up all night and into the morning, usually past sunrise, I'm working on something thus, not posting.

Though this happens often enough that some think I dont sleep at all. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Deathscythealpha
Jun 2, 2005, 12:55 PM
Cause there was nothing interesting to post? Most of the interesting topics get put in FKL if their spam or not these days, so Off Topic is pretty much dead. And the interesting topics in FKL, well they get spammed to death.

Go go with interesting, non spam, non FKL threads to post in!

Arislan
Jun 2, 2005, 12:55 PM
Alright then, late amendment to the original post. And no editing of the original either... Reading up to here means that you've been reading what's been said, and therefore indirectly entertaining me.

Stop working! Post and please my eyes with verbal exchange!

space_butler
Jun 2, 2005, 03:15 PM
try not being american? ive seen almost a whole afternoon go past without a single fkl post, and I never see new posts there in the morning.

Arislan
Jun 2, 2005, 03:23 PM
Ahh, yes, but, if, like I said, you don't sleep, then you would be able to be awake and posting during those hours when others are around and active.

Outrider
Jun 2, 2005, 06:09 PM
I was busy playing TimeSplitters 2.

I'm sure Kef would back me up on that one.

Nai_Calus
Jun 3, 2005, 07:32 AM
Well then get on AIM and bug me sometime, you know me and my fucked hours. XP

Arislan
Jun 3, 2005, 08:16 AM
Only problem is that at this stupid Net Cafe, any Java based clients will not connect to anything (dunno HOW they managed to allow Java to work, but not allow Java based applications to access the net) and the AIM Express non-java client just won't load most of the time, can't figure out why. So my only recourse is to click the refresh button on a few forums constantly, hoping for a new post.

Ryna
Jun 3, 2005, 08:34 AM
On 2005-06-03 06:16, Arislan wrote:
Only problem is that at this stupid Net Cafe, any Java based clients will not connect to anything (dunno HOW they managed to allow Java to work, but not allow Java based applications to access the net) and the AIM Express non-java client just won't load most of the time, can't figure out why. So my only recourse is to click the refresh button on a few forums constantly, hoping for a new post.

That is probably a problem with your browser security settings.

It is possible to setup a Java security profile so that applets are not allowed to connect to a remote server.

Arislan
Jun 3, 2005, 09:14 AM
Well damn them for being smart enough to set that up, but bless them for allowing full administrator access rights to the computer. If I could read Chinese, I could figure out how to wrangle those rights back (assuming it's local, and not based on a gateway of theirs... Their server rack by the way is about 3 meters from me. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif ). I could do as I did on a couple other computers and install mIRC, but that leads to a kinda weird thing of uninstalling... I feel really guilty doing it, and I know that they know that I'm screwing with the add/remove programs when I'm doing it..

Ryna
Jun 3, 2005, 09:20 AM
On 2005-06-03 07:14, Arislan wrote:
Well damn them for being smart enough to set that up, but bless them for allowing full administrator access rights to the computer. If I could read Chinese, I could figure out how to wrangle those rights back (assuming it's local, and not based on a gateway of theirs... Their server rack by the way is about 3 meters from me. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif ). I could do as I did on a couple other computers and install mIRC, but that leads to a kinda weird thing of uninstalling... I feel really guilty doing it, and I know that they know that I'm screwing with the add/remove programs when I'm doing it..

Are you using Internet Explorer, Operat, or Firefox?

Would it be possible for you to SSH into another computer, redirect the output, and use the Java client on the remote machine?

Another possibility would be for you to install Trillian on a USB drive. All you would have to do then is just plug in your USB drive and you would be ready to chat.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryna on 2005-06-03 07:22 ]</font>

Arislan
Jun 3, 2005, 09:30 AM
Hmm, I could try SSHing, but I'd need a remote connection to do so with, and a non Java interface for it in the first place, returning to installation of programs. With over 300 machines in this place, I don't sit in the same place twice.

No USB ports on any of the computers. all the cases have just the necessary ports for what they need to do, and everything else is grated off by the standard metal spacer things. So, while there likely ARE extra USB ports, I can't access them. Would be a use for the 64 meg Sony USB drive I've had sitting around for 2 years though.

Ryna
Jun 3, 2005, 09:38 AM
Alright, let's try to figure out another way for you to get on IM/IRC.

1. What programs are available on the cafe computers?

2. Would it be possible for you to stick in a boot CD?

3. Do you know if you are being blocked by a firewall?

4. Do you get an error message when you try to launch the non-java version of AIM?

If you are connecting from a Chinese Net Cafe computer, there is a good chance you have to contend with the "Great Chinese Firewall".

5. What happens if you try to use the Java PSOW chat applet?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryna on 2005-06-03 07:39 ]</font>

Arislan
Jun 3, 2005, 10:02 AM
1. What programs are available on the cafe computers?

Tons of games, every popcap game (cracked), CS 1.5 and 1.6 (cracked, no steam in China unless you want it), GTA, nearly every popular MMO... In the realm of apps, what Windows comes preinstalled with, standard install, and QQ (Chinese chat program)

2. Would it be possible for you to stick in a boot CD?

No CD ROM drive, otherwise I would have burned one off my laptop at home.

3. Do you know if you are being blocked by a firewall?

No Firewall at all actually, just standard routing. However, according to Shields Up! I'm not blocked on any particular port (as if I were on a standard cable connection with no router/firewall). Some kind of NAT on the server computers? I'd have to guess so.

4. Do you get an error message when you try to launch the non-java version of AIM?

Yeah, timed out, refresh, blah blah. Same thing you get every time a page cannot be connected to for some reason. Oh, and IE, I *wish* I could run Firefox.

If you are connecting from a Chinese Net Cafe computer, there is a good chance you have to contend with the "Great Chinese Firewall".
Actually, I have yet to run into the "Great Chinese Firewall" on any computer I've used. I even tested it by poking around at the asstr web site and a few... Erm... Japanese sites, nothing blocked from anything, no matter how smutty or "revolutionary".

5. What happens if you try to use the Java PSOW chat applet?
It simply won't connect to any IRC server. Well, any of the 3 internals. and Efnet.net has this particular IP range K-Lined. Other Net Cafes can access the Applet.

Reason I'm here rather than the others are twofold. One, I get double time (pay 50 yuan, get 100 yuan of time), and two, this place is FAST compared to everywhere else (500-750k/sec avg).

Ryna
Jun 3, 2005, 10:21 AM
Would it be possible to install the latest JRE? It would be interested to see what happens if you use that in conjunction with Firefox.

Arislan
Jun 3, 2005, 10:26 AM
Just grabbed a zip version of Firefox (.zip for the uninstall ease), can't access the Chat at all.

::thinks about that for a moment:: I'm a a moron, of course I can't, Java isn't set up for Firefox. Durr. Although, I haven't screwed with it too much, but is there an easy way to turn off all the "popups" associated with the Sun JRE? IE, the toolbar, the noticable lag on first applet load, etc? Rather not install something so obvious.

Ryna
Jun 3, 2005, 10:32 AM
On 2005-06-03 08:26, Arislan wrote:
Just grabbed a zip version of Firefox (.zip for the uninstall ease), can't access the Chat at all.

::thinks about that for a moment:: I'm a a moron, of course I can't, Java isn't set up for Firefox. Durr. Although, I haven't screwed with it too much, but is there an easy way to turn off all the "popups" associated with the Sun JRE? IE, the toolbar, the noticable lag on first applet load, etc? Rather not install something so obvious.

I recently installed the Sun JRE on a couple of machines and it seems to be fairly unintrusive.

I think there will always be lag on the first applet because the Virtual Machine does have to load....

navci
Jun 3, 2005, 08:51 PM
On 2005-06-02 10:24, Arislan wrote:
Freaks like Mix take a manner of training that none of us can hope to aspire to, much less actually initiate. It's only through random permutations that someone like Mix can come into being.

See what no sleep does to you, Arislan.

Wyndham
Jun 3, 2005, 09:11 PM
On 2005-06-03 18:51, navinator wrote:

On 2005-06-02 10:24, Arislan wrote:

See what no sleep does to you, Arislan.

it landed me in a nuthouse for two weeks.

don't ask.
anyway, i used to stay up late, but now i just dont have the time, sorry.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Oran1324 on 2005-06-03 19:12 ]</font>

Arislan
Jun 4, 2005, 02:17 AM
But if you didn't sleep, you'd *have* the time. See my point?

As for Ryna, tried with Opera and Firefox (switched to a computer in the corner that I've never seen anyone use anyway, the keyboard tray is broken). Neither can connect with an install of the latest browsers and JRE. Maybe the old settings are somehow carrying through to the Mozilla browsers? Maybe Java just hates me?

Ryna
Jun 6, 2005, 10:23 AM
On 2005-06-04 00:17, Arislan wrote:
As for Ryna, tried with Opera and Firefox (switched to a computer in the corner that I've never seen anyone use anyway, the keyboard tray is broken). Neither can connect with an install of the latest browsers and JRE. Maybe the old settings are somehow carrying through to the Mozilla browsers? Maybe Java just hates me?

Have a look at this:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315674

It is an article related to how to change Java security settings in IE. Perhaps the option for "deny permissions to all signed applets" is checked.

Also, you might want to check out this page:
http://javatester.org/configuring.html

It gives a decent overview on how to configure Java settings for various browsers.

If you need to download the latest JRE, you can do so here:
http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Arislan
Jun 7, 2005, 07:41 AM
In the case of IRC, I decided to say "screw the Net Cafe". I'm just installing mIRC on every computer I use. It's perfectly safe for me to use, noone else speaks English here, so they're not going to be goign ito any channels and downloading crap... They want to talk to me about it, they can. But given that one guy watched me log onto EFnet and did nothing, I think it's at the very least "ok".

Ryna
Jun 7, 2005, 08:51 AM
Arislan, you are missing the point of my posts here. I'm trying to keep you entertained by making you jump through hoops to get Java to work. ;o Just installing mIRC isn't enough for you to have fun!

Arislan
Jun 7, 2005, 11:05 PM
Good point, I'll have to see if I can get around their safeguards your way. And it's always fun to poke around at a program when you have no idea what the settings are.

::poke poke::

ABDUR101
Jun 7, 2005, 11:24 PM
I sleep so I can goto work fully rested and relaxed, so when it comes time to throw down old people and break hips, I come out on top and with the highest "falls to breaks" ratio.

Some of these old people are very resilient, and it takes afew tosses to get them to land right. Damn their frail frames and kind demeanor!

"No, Edna, I don't want to hear about when dirt was created."

*toss*

*/lack of bone cracking sound*

*old guy from across the room*
"u ph43| pu$$y!!11!1"

....all kidding aside, I..uh..sleep completes me and allows an escape from the rigors of conciousness. I could always turn to drugs or alcohol, but they are costly and have other side effects...although some are good. Makes you wonder eh?

*/cue Commercial Salesman voice*
"Sleep causing a stale relationship with your partner? Tired when you wake up in the mornings?

NOT ANYMORE! We've bypassed the FDA and are now offering Crackshit Soda! Your crazy ass won't be sleeping for a week after the first can! And we dare you to only drink one!

Every purchase of a 24 pack lands you a voucher for a dozen Kraknutz Donuts. Thats right, donuts, covered in cocaine!"

*/Commercial Salesman gulps down Crackshit Soda and gnarls on a Kraknut without finishing his monologue*

oh no! Someone spammed this thread! I'd move this to FKL if I weren't so tired. usuk Arislan! (Good luck with whatever the hell you're talking about in this thread by the way.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ABDUR101 on 2005-06-08 13:49 ]</font>

RoninJoku
Jun 8, 2005, 12:04 AM
The thread was worth reading for ^that^ post... lol

Kuea
Jun 9, 2005, 02:47 PM
On 2005-06-02 09:32, Arislan wrote:
I mean, come on, it's now only 0:32, and there hasn't been a post cept in FKL for about a half hour. You're here soley for my entertainment, now wake up and post, dammit!

hehe

if I had been here we could have tried forum running against each other again http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Arislan
Jun 10, 2005, 03:12 AM
You'll lose, you know you will. I'm always watching. (Cue 1984 vibe)

Daikarin
Jun 10, 2005, 10:53 AM
I sleep because I was brought up that way.